Fantastic Four-related HasLab Speculation

RyanDaly

I am curious at what percentage of the collectors who funded the Sentinel bought more than one. Even at $350 or whatever it was, the Sentinel has the potential to be an army builder, whereas Galactus or the Fantasticar (or Castle Von Doom [ I still think there's a chance! ]) are one-offs. I wonder if that will factor into their pricing or how they advertise, knowing that whatever they offer won't get multiple purchases from collectors.

1 hour ago, RyanDaly said:

I am curious at what percentage of the collectors who funded the Sentinel bought more than one. Even at $350 or whatever it was, the Sentinel has the potential to be an army builder, whereas Galactus or the Fantasticar (or Castle Von Doom [ I still think there's a chance! ]) are one-offs. I wonder if that will factor into their pricing or how they advertise, knowing that whatever they offer won't get multiple purchases from collectors.

I know I bought three and I dont even like the X-Men. I'd love Galactus but I can't see anything outselling the Sentinel thanks to that army building potential 

3 hours ago, RyanDaly said:

Would have liked to have gotten more to army build but only could afford one. But for those using it as a master mold, though I feel it's too small for that, those collector's probably only bought one too.

7 hours ago, Lord_Scareglow said:

I'm happy for everyone who ordered 5 sentinels, but honestly where are 5 small children sized figures going to go, I mean inless you live in Windsor castle or something, and not to mention spending over like 1500 in one go on figures woo, I can't justify doing that, I'd cry in front of a mirror for days from guilt.

I've given this some thought, and what I've come up with is... yeah, you're right, I haven't come up with a plan yet. I figure, my house is 2700 square feet, there's gotta be space somewhere. And if there isn't? Well, I own a game shop that's 4500 square feet, so there's definitely space there! Not in my office, obviously. That's basically a closet. But somewhere out on the floor? Somewhere high where customers can't reach them? But not too high, obviously, because they need to be seen. Goddammit, stop making sense. I still have months left to figure this out. We have a baby due right around the same time as the sentinels, so maybe my wife and daughter just won't notice the appearance of five robots that are significantly taller than our new baby boy?

In all seriousness, I'd like to build a sweet display in our game room for them, ideally one that involves them wrecking a city fighting the whole 90s X-roster, one team per sentinel, but the odds of me actually doing so (or finding the space in the game room to attempt it) are vanishingly small. I'm also fairly resigned to the idea of only keeping three of them, and selling the other two if that's what it takes. By my estimation, that will pay for all five of them pretty easily, and it'll be less like a $1500 purchase and more like Hasbro hitting me up for a one-year $1500 interest-free loan and then giving me three giant robots to say thanks.

4 minutes ago, Benn said:

I've given this some thought, and what I've come up with is... yeah, you're right, I haven't come up with a plan yet. I figure, my house is 2700 square feet, there's gotta be space somewhere. And if there isn't? Well, I own a game shop that's 4500 square feet, so there's definitely space there! Not in my office, obviously. That's basically a closet. But somewhere out on the floor? Somewhere high where customers can't reach them? But not too high, obviously, because they need to be seen. Goddammit, stop making sense. I still have months left to figure this out. We have a baby due right around the same time as the sentinels, so maybe my wife and daughter just won't notice the appearance of five robots that are significantly taller than our new baby boy?

In all seriousness, I'd like to build a sweet display in our game room for them, ideally one that involves them wrecking a city fighting the whole 90s X-roster, one team per sentinel, but the odds of me actually doing so (or finding the space in the game room to attempt it) are vanishingly small. I'm also fairly resigned to the idea of only keeping three of them, and selling the other two if that's what it takes. By my estimation, that will pay for all five of them pretty easily, and it'll be less like a $1500 purchase and more like Hasbro hitting me up for a one-year $1500 interest-free loan and then giving me three giant robots to say thanks.

More like how is your post pregancy wife going to feel when you come hobbling into the house with 5 giant boxes that look like you could pack 3 children into them, and then you making the oooh ahhh face, and she realizes it's over a small army of giant purple robots and not the baby 😉  good luck soldier.

4 minutes ago, Benn said:

The baby can play with them too!

...as soon as he turns 25.

Too bad the sentinels were not more like little A.I. you could have them babysit, and they'd be so justified, wifey might even say "well you should have bought more"

On 4/12/2021 at 9:10 PM, Benn said:

5 sentinels, baby on the way....yeesh! Good thing you won the BBTS contest, sounds like you need all the help you can get!

So here's my issue with any Baxter Building/Castle Doom speculation:

What would people expect out of such a playset?  We're notorious about demanding "to scale" and "realistic" well...no way we're getting a to-scale Baxter Building or Castle Doom, because those would be as big (or certainly taller) than some actual houses (even if we're talking just the upper levels of the Baxter Building/Four Freedoms Plaza it would be probably about 5+ feet tall since the HQ area is usually depicted as five+ stories).  

I guess you could "Castle Grayskull" up Castle Doom, with the facade of a castle and a "shell" that holds some shelves with moderate play features and deco, but are people really going to be happy with that?  They might be better off releasing a 6" scale version of the Secret Wars Tower of Doom, as at least there's a nostalgic connection there to it being "toyetic."

Basically I guess it boils down to:  How much "toyetic" are folks willing to accept on playsets?  Because there's no way we're ever getting to-scale or realistically furnished/deco'ed playsets short of maybe single room versions (like say, a Danger Room  or maybe a "Tony Stark's Workshop/Hall of Armor" playset).

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2021 at 8:17 AM, Jmacq1 said:

"So here's my issue with any Baxter Building/Castle Doom speculation...What would people expect out of such a playset?  We're notorious about demanding "to scale" and "realistic" well...no way we're getting a to-scale Baxter Building or Castle Doom...Basically I guess it boils down to:  How much "toyetic" are folks willing to accept on playsets...short of maybe single room versions (like say, a Danger Room  or maybe a "Tony Stark's Workshop/Hall of Armor" playset)..."

A Danger Room would be more likely. More practical, more popular, more affordable. Although in a perfect world, Baxter Building lab/hangar would be, well, fantastic.

I've said this before, Hasbro is sleeping on the gold mine that is the Fantastic Four, in terms of toy merchandising. They've got it all: variant costumes, allies, foes, equipment, weapons, sets, vehicles...talk about those waves we all know they're always gonna make? Your Spider-Man, X-Men, Avengers, Dp? Well FF should've been at the top of that list.

1 hour ago, Atlantis said:

A Danger Room would be more likely. More practical, more popular, more affordable. Although in a perfect world, Baxter Building lab/hangar would be, well, fantastic.

I've said this before, Hasbro is sleeping on the gold mine that is the Fantastic Four, in terms of toy merchandising. They've got it all: variant costumes, allies, foes, equipment, weapons, sets, vehicles...talk about those waves we all know they're always gonna make? Your Spider-Man, X-Men, Avengers, Dp? Well FF should've been at the top of that list.

FF has a rich history...but what it doesn't have is recent popularity compared to those other properties.  That may well change once the MCU catches up to them, but they've been very "back burner" at Marvel (and by extension Hasbro) for years for a variety of reasons (most of which had to do with movie rights).

Here we go again. The ol, "FF don't have a MCU movie out, won't sell"  excuse card. Cuz they don't have a huge following from those of us that actually "read" comics about them. FF has had damn cartoons done about them in the 60s, 80s, 90s & 2000s along with 2 movies in 04' & 08"!  But nope, FF, Haslab  FF fantasticar won't sell cuz they don't have a damn MCU movie. Did the Sentinels have a movie out last yr? Musta missed it. The joke Sentinels in the "DOFP" X-Men movie were so bad, they didn't even rate figures of them. The Haslab Sentinel is comic based! It sold like 22,000 on a crowdfund raiser that just needed 6000 to go green. If the product is great looking & all 4 members can fit in it, it will sell, MCU movie or not. Add a 6' scale Impossible man as an incentive tier.

33 minutes ago, Gigantor said:

Here we go again. The ol, "FF don't have a MCU movie out, won't sell"  excuse card. Cuz they don't have a huge following from those of us that actually "read" comics about them. FF has had damn cartoons done about them in the 60s, 80s, 90s & 2000s along with 2 movies in 04' & 08"!  But nope, FF, Haslab  FF fantasticar won't sell cuz they don't have a damn MCU movie. Did the Sentinels have a movie out last yr? Musta missed it. The joke Sentinels in the "DOFP" X-Men movie were so bad, they didn't even rate figures of them. The Haslab Sentinel is comic based! It sold like 22,000 on a crowdfund raiser that just needed 6000 to go green. If the product is great looking & all 4 members can fit in it, it will sell, MCU movie or not. Add a 6' scale Impossible man as an incentive tier.

Man, why are you so angry? 

2 hours ago, Gigantor said:

Spot on. I might go as far to say that the biggest and most expensive products to date didn't have any movie tie-in. Hellfire Club, Sentinels, and speculation is strong that the next one is gonna be either Galactus or the Fantasticar.

Impossible Man? Take my money.

The X-Men waves are hugely popular and those are clearly from the comics. And do we not have people here screaming for the last few years for the Starjammers and the Inhumans? Which are the comic based versions of course. But whether its comic or movie based, if they do it right, its gonna sell. 

Another thing that will sell: Marvel Monsters, release for Halloween '21. I know somebody at Hasbro is reading this. Start on the figures now, they'll be ready by October! GOLD MINE, fellas.

I’m not sure why there is any dispute between Legends collectors of movie or comic. Both are hugely popular and are plastic representations of our favorite Marvel characters. 

Not doing any finger pointing but it is so odd that sides of the same team have been chosen and those sides think it is ridiculous that the other enjoys their choice so much. Or that one is better than the other. 

Live and let live I say. I collect and enjoy both immensely. I’m a noted Avengers fan and because of how well Hasbro has made Xmen characters, both comic and movie, I’ve begun collecting them as well. 

It could be worse fellow Collectors.. Mcfarlane toys could have the Marvel license 😄

1 hour ago, bashpics99 said:

The Hellfire club ties into the X-men animated series - it’s the exact lineup from the show (plus the Selene head). As does the haslab sentinel. That series has been a huge inspiration for the X-men waves, it seems like plenty of collectors and at least some of the hasbro team members are really into it. 

The Sentinels in the 90s X-Men animated series were classic John Byrne DOFP Sentinels, the Haslab version is based on a more current model of Sentinel as were the Toy Biz Sentinel in 05' & the one for m the 2010 MU based Sentinel.  The 3D printed Sentinels I purchased & have posted pics of, are based on the X-menTAS.

And never let Mcfarlane within 100 miles of the ML line!

1 hour ago, Gigantor said:

Stating facts is not being "angry". Maybe in your world it is, not mine.

Opinions aren't facts, man. Truth is that FF aren't as popular as they were 20 years ago. Why? We speculate, we don't have the real insider info.

I guess it's just my perspective, but feels like you've been angry typing for a few days. Everything is negative, everything sucks. Nothing is as good as it was... feels like you're not enjoying what we can get, that's why I asked why were you so angry. It was funny at first but it's been so much, that I could even say I'm a little worried...

18 minutes ago, McHogan said:

It could be worse fellow Collectors.. Mcfarlane toys could have the Marvel license 😄

Honestly, I'd be okay with McFarlane if we had to choose someone other than Hasbro- their DC and recent game figures are amazing and well above the junk companies like Mattel was putting out in the same franchises before them. I only wish they were an inch shorter.

20 minutes ago, Fyrefly21 said:

Honestly, I'd be okay with McFarlane if we had to choose someone other than Hasbro- their DC and recent game figures are amazing and well above the junk companies like Mattel was putting out in the same franchises before them. I only wish they were an inch shorter.

Mcfarlane would just make wave after wave of different Wolvy, Spidey & IM figs, no gracias. How people are buying that Batman regurgitation wave after wave is beyond me. And yeah, they lose me with the 7' scale. It's almost like all DC related action figure lines go outta their way to not be scale compatible with the ML line. The DCUC line was the only line that was compatible with the ML TB line & the early ML lines but then they shut down the Line. 

31 minutes ago, memocromatico said:

Opinions aren't facts, man. Truth is that FF aren't as popular as they were 20 years ago. Why? We speculate, we don't have the real insider info.

I guess it's just my perspective, but feels like you've been angry typing for a few days. Everything is negative, everything sucks. Nothing is as good as it was... feels like you're not enjoying what we can get, that's why I asked why were you so angry. It was funny at first but it's been so much, that I could even say I'm a little worried...

How is it "opinion" when I'm giving you facts, about the decade's that the FF had cartoons and movies?  "Not enjoying what we can get"? You kidding me, I'm stoked about the recent reveals of Quasar, Ursa Major wave & 80s Hercules!