New Look At The Mr. Hyde Build-A-Figure From Shang-Chi-Wave -No Spoilers-

JayC

31 minutes ago, Hogun said:

I hate it when Hasbro produces a comic BAF for a movie wave. Especially since to my knowledge, Dr. Hyde has no relations to Shang-Chi.

I can understand the annoyance, but Shang-Chi has been an Avenger in recent years so they clearly made this an Avengers-adjacent wave.  Not sure Shang-Chi has many/any "oversized" characters in his rogues' gallery that many people would give a hoot about (especially as most people, even many comic fans, can barely name ANY of his rogues' gallery beyond maybe Fu Manchu without googling).

It's usually not hard to sell loose figures on Ebay and recoup a good chunk, if not all, of your costs though.  This is definitely a wave that they had to reach for a highly-desired BAF to try to sell to non-MCU collectors.  Hasbro wants to make its' money after all.  

Saying Shang Chi is an Avenger isn't saying much, thanks to Bendis & those after them, everyone but  Aunt May has been an Avenger. Being an Avenger nowadays doesn't carry that same  importance & awe that it used to. 

IMO, Spiderman, DD,  Moon knight, Shang & the Hulk all work 100% better flying solo. They worked better as loners who every now & then teamed up to take down a common enemy or just someone they couldn't handle alone.

Ironfist & Powerman worked way better as the Heroes for hire than being in a team. Wolverine has zero business being an Avenger as that's what the X-men are for. Hulks best story arcs were his solo battles or when he went berserk & the Avengers had to tangle with him. Planet Hulk & WW Hulk are my all time fav story arcs about the Jade giant. 

We all know full well that Marvel gave Bendis the green light to put just about every A-list hero on the team just to boost sales, nothing more, nothing less. 

Now damn Conan is an Avenger...gimme a freakin break!

7 hours ago, Jmacq1 said:

I can understand the annoyance, but Shang-Chi has been an Avenger in recent years so they clearly made this an Avengers-adjacent wave.  Not sure Shang-Chi has many/any "oversized" characters in his rogues' gallery that many people would give a hoot about (especially as most people, even many comic fans, can barely name ANY of his rogues' gallery beyond maybe Fu Manchu without googling).

It's usually not hard to sell loose figures on Ebay and recoup a good chunk, if not all, of your costs though.  This is definitely a wave that they had to reach for a highly-desired BAF to try to sell to non-MCU collectors.  Hasbro wants to make its' money after all.  

My guess is the loose chain of reasoning is that mandarin is rumored to appear in the movie, iron man has mandarin as one of his main rogues so he fits into this wave.  iron man has faced hyde one on one and also of course steve rogers has fought hyde too, although really neither is probably the first character that comes to mind in terms of Hyde foes.  Feels like they could've done some sort of dragon BAF but whatever, i'm cool with Hyde even if it is the T-bolts version

as far as being a sought after BAF, my instinct is to agree, altho i suppose it depends somewhat on whether all the complainers put their money where their mouth is and refuse to build this guy, or the more likely scenario (imo) that they build Hyde, while griping about his modern head the whole time.  Its a bit more concerning to me that hyde doesn't come with fists but hopefully kingpin's fist will fit.  and i'm not really seeing the likeness to LOEG Hyde as that version had a much more monstrous face that doesn't really even qualify as human. 

On 4/10/2021 at 1:59 PM, Lord_Scareglow said:

I'm sure happy I don't have any interest in building Mr. Hyde, never had a huge attachment to the character, and this isn't the version I'm familiar with, he looks like a steroids filled Leprechaun high on rocks, I'll pass.

Good stuff

20 hours ago, Gigantor said:

The " Siege of Avengers mansion " story arc is my all-time favorite followed by the 3 issue story arc featuring Count Nefaria, it didn't hurt that Buscema  & Byrne were the artists on Those 2 story arcs. The Baron Zemo led 3rd incarnation is the most powerful lineup & full of at least 10 heavy hitters that could press 40 tons or more! The only members I could do without is the female YJ & Screaming Mimi.

2026920375_MrHydevsBK.thumb.jpg.bdf4d78843cf4c52d1c7c424d6277965.jpg447021852_Mastersofevil1.thumb.jpg.1da94a267929021effa1d22a015d48f6.jpg1250375772_ThorvsMrHyde.thumb.jpg.26e3d73a756cc922a0b8e6870630b096.jpg590693419_Wreckingcrewmastersofevil.thumb.jpg.94097c145b7579b428ed6cf62218d2fb.jpg1202290264_AvengersvstheMastersofevilundersiege.thumb.jpg.58d97be39e43b00c34979208b77345c1.jpg

Amen brother. No other Avengers  story from my youth has been as fondly remembered or has any story since risen to the heights that Under Siege did.

From a drama stand point I was in awe. The story began as a day in the life of Earths Mightiest Heroes, with the Avengers having no idea that beat down they were about to endure.  From the scene when we are shown the ARMY Zemo has assembled and his plans laid out I was hooked! 

Crazy that a decades old story is so etched into my memory but I couldn’t tell you anything about any story in the past few years that has made any mark...

Even if they were going with this version of Mr. Hyde, I really don't like this head sculpt- it's just too cartoonish, and not very good. It makes me think of the WWF "Maximum Sweat" action figures from the late 1990s. I don't expect them to do another version, or release, of Hyde, but I would LOVE a different, hatless head sculpt packed-in with another figure, because this and Wendigo are probably my 2 least-favorite BAF head sculpts in the whole ML line. 

SwtShmrk.jpg

12 hours ago, McHogan said:

Amen brother. No other Avengers  story from my youth has been as fondly remembered or has any story since risen to the heights that Under Siege did.

From a drama stand point I was in awe. The story began as a day in the life of Earths Mightiest Heroes, with the Avengers having no idea that beat down they were about to endure.  From the scene when we are shown the ARMY Zemo has assembled and his plans laid out I was hooked! 

Crazy that a decades old story is so etched into my memory but I couldn’t tell you anything about any story in the past few years that has made any mark...

You couldn't have said it any better! No BS politics or SJW agenda thrown in our face , just a straight up ol school beatdown of the Avengers by the more powerful Zemo team until Thor & She Hulk showed up to even the odds. Though I cannot stand the character of Dr Druid, a poor man's Dr Strange. Hasbro really needs to dedicate 2-3 waves to this classic saga. Jim Shooter must be convulsing at what today's Marvel comics have become.

1 hour ago, MagnaPrime said:

I have really gotta familiarize myself with shang chi.  I was always annoyed by his comics because they were always grouped where I was hunting for masters of the universe issues.

there is a guide from DK coming out if you want to catch up on your knowledge of the Master of Kung fu - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0744027195/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

19 hours ago, Gigantor said:

Saying Shang Chi is an Avenger isn't saying much, thanks to Bendis & those after them, everyone but  Aunt May has been an Avenger. Being an Avenger nowadays doesn't carry that same  importance & awe that it used to. 

IMO, Spiderman, DD,  Moon knight, Shang & the Hulk all work 100% better flying solo. They worked better as loners who every now & then teamed up to take down a common enemy or just someone they couldn't handle alone.

Ironfist & Powerman worked way better as the Heroes for hire than being in a team. Wolverine has zero business being an Avenger as that's what the X-men are for. Hulks best story arcs were his solo battles or when he went berserk & the Avengers had to tangle with him. Planet Hulk & WW Hulk are my all time fav story arcs about the Jade giant. 

We all know full well that Marvel gave Bendis the green light to put just about every A-list hero on the team just to boost sales, nothing more, nothing less. 

Now damn Conan is an Avenger...gimme a freakin break!

Dude. I HEAR YOU. Thing about the Avengers is they were the "legends", the "big time" group. But throughout their history they've had some baffling choices added to the roster (Swordsman, Two-Gun Kid, Dr. Druid, Silverclaw....gimme a break!) And no, I dont wanna sound snobbish, but I agree with your list of heroes that shouldn't be in the group. Not that they necessarily dilute the "big time" status (putting Rage and the like in was idiotic), but doing so didn't help the Avengers and also did a disservice to the heroes themselves. Shang-Chi is just a much more "grounded" hero and he's like a fish out of water with the Avengers. 

And that Hyde BAF is awful. Give us the classic villain!

2 hours ago, Atlantis said:

Dude. I HEAR YOU. Thing about the Avengers is they were the "legends", the "big time" group. But throughout their history they've had some baffling choices added to the roster (Swordsman, Two-Gun Kid, Dr. Druid, Silverclaw....gimme a break!) And no, I dont wanna sound snobbish, but I agree with your list of heroes that shouldn't be in the group. Not that they necessarily dilute the "big time" status (putting Rage and the like in was idiotic), but doing so didn't help the Avengers and also did a disservice to the heroes themselves. Shang-Chi is just a much more "grounded" hero and he's like a fish out of water with the Avengers. 

And that Hyde BAF is awful. Give us the classic villain!

I concur with  you about Druid,/Silverclaw , Rage, though Two gun was just "honorary"  in name only,  kinda like Mar'Vell was an "Honorary member as well. Swordsman was Hawkeye's master & taught him his archery/fighting skills & his sword was not an ordinary sword, so imo, he was a legit Avenger. Let's not forget D-Man.

I love that I can pass up that whole wave, not a very exciting baf... but i must say, thats a good reuse of the kingpin/joe fixit molds.(I know its one of them but they are very similar.. i know its joes feet at least XD.  

10 hours ago, Gigantor said:

I concur with  you about Druid,/Silverclaw , Rage, though Two gun was just "honorary"  in name only,  kinda like Mar'Vell was an "Honorary member as well. Swordsman was Hawkeye's master & taught him his archery/fighting skills & his sword was not an ordinary sword, so imo, he was a legit Avenger. Let's not forget D-Man.

Druid was a powerful mystic and was instrumental in helping the Avengers against the Masters of Evil, while Silverclaw was sponsored by Jarvis, so the Avengers were just dying to get her on the team, also she did defeat Kulan Gath. Still they earned their places, these days it seems that Avenger membership is just handed out.

3 hours ago, leokearon said:

Druid was a powerful mystic and was instrumental in helping the Avengers against the Masters of Evil, while Silverclaw was sponsored by Jarvis, so the Avengers were just dying to get her on the team, also she did defeat Kulan Gath. Still they earned their places, these days it seems that Avenger membership is just handed out.

They were still 2 lame characters imo. Avengers already have a sorcerer on their team in the Scarlet witch whom I know at the time was over on the WCA but you get my point & Silverclaw? The less said, the better.  But as you stated, being an Avenger has been no biggie in the past decade + as anyone with a pulse can now join.  30yrs ago, you could quickly list who was an Avenger, now you need to see who hasn't been an Avenger.

5 hours ago, Gigantor said:

They were still 2 lame characters imo. Avengers already have a sorcerer on their team in the Scarlet witch whom I know at the time was over on the WCA but you get my point & Silverclaw? The less said, the better.  But as you stated, being an Avenger has been no biggie in the past decade + as anyone with a pulse can now join.  30yrs ago, you could quickly list who was an Avenger, now you need to see who hasn't been an Avenger.

I have a soft spot for Silverclaw as she debut when I really started getting into Avenger comics. While I see no problem with some redundancy on a team, Druid was a terrinle character.

7 hours ago, Gigantor said:

30yrs ago, you could quickly list who was an Avenger

You might want to re-check your old OHOTMU books.  The Avengers had a pretty massive roster of past and present members by the mid-80's, and it only got bigger from there, and even back then it certainly wasn't entirely comprised of "legends."

Funny how people forget how the Avengers spent a lot of their history as a B-list book behind the X-Men and Fantastic Four until Marvel Entertainment realized that was who they had to make movies out of (and it was pretty telling that no movie studio cared that much about getting the Avengers rights prior to that, except one or two as individual characters who got super-crappy  movies (See: Captain America).

Up until Bendis came along the Avengers were always a far bigger deal in-universe than they ever were in the real world (popularity/sales wise).

On 4/12/2021 at 5:31 AM, JayC said:

Better quality image from the back of the package showing Hyde.

Shang-Chi-Wave-08.jpg

While I still wait for the Inhumans (and others) to be completed, I can't see that this will be last and only Hyde figure. I hear that some on the forum here don't think Hyde can ever be a deluxe figure. Fine. That doesn't mean Hasbro won't put him out in his classic form. If for no other reason than fan demand, and to wash the bad taste from this one.

That sounds harsh, but its not meant to be. Marvel changed Hyde's look in some issues, yeah. But we know what his most familiar look is , and if youre gonna have a Mr Hyde, that's the one we want. 

I think the most likely possibility is that hasbro would throw in a classic hyde head somewhere else (putting it with a re-release of Joe FIxit would make the most sense to me, since it would least physically fit on that body, in theory).  2nd most likely possibility is that he gets another BAF in a spidey or avengers wave but i'd bet that hasbro would wait awhile before doing a 2nd Hyde BAF, especially where most parts for the figure would still likely be the same as the current BAF , even down to the green suit.   I still see it as highly unlikely that Hyde gets a more classic-looking rerelease as either a deluxe figure or as part of a 2-pack or boxset.. who would you pack him with? DD, i guess? or Spider-man, maybe? just seems like a weird idea.  Maybe if Marvel did a Masters of Evil boxset but with the lack of A-listers on that team seems unlikely although fans of under siege would be pretty thrilled. 

Probably the best option for classic hyde fans would be to get a classic head from one of those folks that cast custom heads.  I know 'ibentmymanthing' on fwoosh has already said he plans on making them,  and he's probably not alone. 

2 hours ago, bashpics99 said:

I think the most likely possibility is that hasbro would throw in a classic hyde head somewhere else (putting it with a re-release of Joe FIxit would make the most sense to me, since it would least physically fit on that body, in theory).  2nd most likely possibility is that he gets another BAF in a spidey or avengers wave but i'd bet that hasbro would wait awhile before doing a 2nd Hyde BAF, especially where most parts for the figure would still likely be the same as the current BAF , even down to the green suit.   I still see it as highly unlikely that Hyde gets a more classic-looking rerelease as either a deluxe figure or as part of a 2-pack or boxset.. who would you pack him with? DD, i guess? or Spider-man, maybe? just seems like a weird idea.  Maybe if Marvel did a Masters of Evil boxset but with the lack of A-listers on that team seems unlikely although fans of under siege would be pretty thrilled. 

Probably the best option for classic hyde fans would be to get a classic head from one of those folks that cast custom heads.  I know 'ibentmymanthing' on fwoosh has already said he plans on making them,  and he's probably not alone. 

Their last "alternate character headswap" came with a character that was only related in the sense of "fought them in a storyline" (Onslaught vs/ Red Onslaught) so I dunno that releasing a Hatless Hyde would have to be on a body it would fit.  Especially since the most likely redo of Joe Fixit is simply giving him gray skin which would look a little weird with a Hyde head on it.  At this point I wouldn't be entirely surprised to see it randomly tossed in with say (if rumor/pattern holds true) an Iron Man Retro figure next year sometime.

1 minute ago, Jmacq1 said:

Their last "alternate character headswap" came with a character that was only related in the sense of "fought them in a storyline" (Onslaught vs/ Red Onslaught) so I dunno that releasing a Hatless Hyde would have to be on a body it would fit.  Especially since the most likely redo of Joe Fixit is simply giving him gray skin which would look a little weird with a Hyde head on it.  At this point I wouldn't be entirely surprised to see it randomly tossed in with say (if rumor/pattern holds true) an Iron Man Retro figure next year sometime.

Kitty didn't fight Onslaught, she was still with Excalibur at the time.

On 4/15/2021 at 8:02 AM, bashpics99 said:

You could package a classic Hyde with a "beaten like a red headed stepchild" Jarvis, complete with alternate bruised face, a chair & ropes.