Marvel Legends Movie Shang-Chi And Tony Stark AI Figures Found At Target

JayC

Billy and Troy Brownfield let us know that they discovered at their local Target in Indiana the new Marvel Legends movie based Shang-Chi and comic based Tony Stark AI figures.

These are part of the Shang-Chi Mr. Hyde Build-A-Figure wave which will be a mix of movie and comic book based figures. While it's very surprising to already be seeing these hit Target stores, the weird thing is that this Target only seemed to get just solid cases of these two figures. Hasbro often offers retailers solid cases for certain figures, but generally only the smaller retailers will order those. It's unusual to see a big box store like Target order solid cases. Billy says the figures scanned up with individual codes in the Target system as opposed to the normal assortment code. There were 5 Shang-Chi figures and 6 AI Tony Stark figures.

The Shang-Chi movie is due out in theaters on September 3, 2021, so generally figures like these wouldn't be out until a month or so before the movies release. Of course the movie was originally supposed to be out earlier this year and got delayed due to COVID, which I am sure has screwed up the distribution for these figures. Still Hasbro hasn't even officially announced the Shang-Chi movie figure, and as we reported yesterday, the movie figures in the wave due contain some movie SPOILERS.

Shang-Chi himself isn't really that spoilerish and the AI Stark figure is comic based, so I suppose it's possible Hasbro made special arrangements to start shipping the figures out in parts to the big box retailers, starting with the non-spoilers ones. However if that were the case you would think the Civil Warrior figure which is another non-movie figure in the wave would also be hitting stores now.

I guess only time will tell how wide spread the release of these two figures actually are and when we will start seeing the rest of the figures in the wave hit shelves as well. Thanks to Billy and Troy for the heads up and image of their find.

Shang-Chi-Wave-Mystery.jpg

2 minutes ago, JayC said:

The Shang-Chi movie is due out in theaters on September 3, 2021, so generally figures like these wouldn't be out until a month or so before the movies release. Of course the movie was originally supposed to be out last year and got delayed due to COVID, which I am sure has screwed up the distribution for these figures. Still Hasbro hasn't even officially announced the Shang-Chi movie figure, and as we reported yesterday, the movie figures in the wave due contain some movie SPOILERS.

One minor correction: Shang-Chi's original release date was February 2021 before being pushed back. Only Black Widow and The Eternals had 2020 release dates. 

4 minutes ago, Ironspider428 said:

I noticed that too. Same with the other movie figures in the wave. Maybe these figures were designed before pinless tech became the standard? But if that were the case, the Eternals wouldn't have pinless either, which they do. It's weird.

Yeah, pretty disappointed they don't. Was looking forward to this wave then Hasbro gonna Hasbro. 

Hasbro's losing it's grip, with the recent surprise Nova just dropping here in Canada, the Eternel figures leaking, these leaking and now being released, Hasbro needs to just start announcing these it's going to be a bad look, if these are out and being sold, and Hasbro still hasn't announced them then the movie gets pushed back to 2022.

9 minutes ago, Lord_Scareglow said:

Hasbro's losing it's grip, with the recent surprise Nova just dropping here in Canada, the Eternel figures leaking, these leaking and now being released, Hasbro needs to just start announcing these it's going to be a bad look, if these are out and being sold, and Hasbro still hasn't announced them then the movie gets pushed back to 2022.

They can't. Disney said no. Unless they give permission hasbro can't announce any of the leaked figures. These get released is just some store worker not following the release dates on the box. Watch now all those figure will be taken off the shelf and if they are still there no one will be allowed to buy them.

As for nova, hasbro has released all the info for it as they need. It up to walgreens to put it up for sale.

1 hour ago, tarot said:

They can't. Disney said no. Unless they give permission hasbro can't announce any of the leaked figures. These get released is just some store worker not following the release dates on the box. Watch now all those figure will be taken off the shelf and if they are still there no one will be allowed to buy them.

As for nova, hasbro has released all the info for it as they need. It up to walgreens to put it up for sale.

of course you are correct, but I always am surprised that Disney doesn't make the executive decision to alter their plans, I don't think really any of these Shang-Chi figures are really huge spoilers, it's not like they reveal much in the way of significant plot twists that would ruin the movie.

20 minutes ago, Lord_Scareglow said:

of course you are correct, but I always am surprised that Disney doesn't make the executive decision to alter their plans, I don't think really any of these Shang-Chi figures are really huge spoilers, it's not like they reveal much in the way of significant plot twists that would ruin the movie.

Well a trailer for this movie hasn't even dropped. And likely wont until Black Widow gets released. If Targets have these in their stock rooms then they will likely slip out more and more. No putting the genie back in the bottle at this point but Disney isn't going to change it's marketing strategy because of some toys. I remember when all the Endgame stuff started seeing early release a couple years ago right before Toy Fair. Even though everyone had seen them and reviews were up and all that Hasbro still wan't allowed to even mention them at that Toy Fair.

10 hours ago, JayC said:

Well a trailer for this movie hasn't even dropped. And likely wont until Black Widow gets released. If Targets have these in their stock rooms then they will likely slip out more and more. No putting the genie back in the bottle at this point but Disney isn't going to change it's marketing strategy because of some toys. I remember when all the Endgame stuff started seeing early release a couple years ago right before Toy Fair. Even though everyone had seen them and reviews were up and all that Hasbro still wan't allowed to even mention them at that Toy Fair.

Hasbro have even stated that once their products leave the factory, they have no control on what shops do with them , they just have to hope that the shops stick to the planned release days

All this does is make me want comic book Shang-Chi all the more.  I initially passed on the Spider-Man wave figure, but then grabbed it and very glad I did. I figured they'd redo him with his gi, and maybe the wrist bands and blue tai-chi shoes. This movie version doesn't look bad though and I'm getting the feeling its very much like the film. I wonder why they didn't go with his simple yin/yang symbol. We'll see.

10 minutes ago, sentinelofliberty41 said:

I was really interested in that Iron Man at first for the sake of having that figure in the classic comic colors but arent the blue circles on his chest and the eye and mouth slots the wrong colors? I don't want to have to paint all that.

I feel the same way. I was excited about getting the 80th anniversary Iron Man in the flat red and yellow colors, but now seeing it in these pictures, I'm not crazy about it at all. I think I'll save my money.

43 minutes ago, sentinelofliberty41 said:

I was really interested in that Iron Man at first for the sake of having that figure in the classic comic colors but arent the blue circles on his chest and the eye and mouth slots the wrong colors? I don't want to have to paint all that.

The colors are not wrong because this isn't meant to be the classic classic armor. This is how the armor looked like in Secret Empyre when A.I. Tony was piloting it:

iron+man+ai.png

1 hour ago, Hogun said:

That Shang-Chi head needs better detail. It feels similar to the Red Guardian from the Crimson Dynamo wave. Maybe Hasbro will re-release it with a better face.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Hasbro was phasing out their face-printing process. If true, this could be the best we're gonna get.

2 minutes ago, mako said:

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Hasbro was phasing out their face-printing process. If true, this could be the best we're gonna get.

Whaaa? Why would hasbro even consider that, the face printing is far better then their paint work.

1 hour ago, SUPREME007 said:

Whaaa? Why would hasbro even consider that, the face printing is far better then their paint work.

Yeah I really hope that isn’t the case. Their early MCU stuff was very hit or miss ( more accurately glancing hit or complete whiff) 

and honestly, their face printing tech is why I’ve stayed with Legends and not moved onto more expensive lines for my MCU fix. Can’t say I’d be very excited by an only “good” representation in my display