The Avengers Brace Themselves For World War She-Hulk

JayC

Jason Aaron and Javier Garrón’s run on AVENGERS continues this July with the storyline She-Hulk fans have been waiting for! Beginning in AVENGERS #46, WORLD WAR SHE-HULK will bring Jennifer Walters’ current journey to its pulse-pounding conclusion, setting the hero on a new path just in time for Avengers #50. An homage to the hit 2007 crossover event by Greg Pak, WORLD WAR SHE-HULK will stand on its own as a new pulse-pounding saga in the Hulk mythos. The action-packed arc will see She-Hulk facing off against Red Guardian and the Winter Guard.

After the shocking events of “Enter the Phoenix,” the Earth has become more fractured and volatile than ever, especially for the Avengers. Once She-Hulk is declared a global menace, Russia’s mightiest heroes, the Winter Guard, are tasked with bringing Jen to justice and face a fate no Hulk could hope to endure.

“When the Russian Winter Guard invade Avengers Mountain to arrest She-Hulk, it sets off a global espionage adventure that takes us from the notorious assassin training academy of the Red Room to an undersea kingdom on the verge of violent revolution,” Aaron said. “Along the way, traitors will fall, regimes will crumble and the dark evolution of Jennifer Walters will reach its bloody red crescendo, all as we build toward the epic events of Avengers #50.”

Don’t miss this exciting chapter in the saga of She-Hulk when AVENGERS #46 hits stands on July 7th.

AVENGERS #46
Written by JASON AARON
Art and Cover by JAVIER GARRÓN
On Sale 7/7

World-War-She-Hulk.jpg

2 minutes ago, sentinelofliberty41 said:

"the dark evolution of Jennifer Walters will reach its bloody red crescendo"

This does not give me much hope that we will see the happier, more fun She-Hulk again. I just can't get into this savage Shulk.

Same. Not interested in a brutish version of jenn. Kind of annoying that they’re capitalizing on the fame of WW hulk, too but I guess that’s standard operating procedure these days 

Just now, bashpics99 said:

Same. Not interested in a brutish version of jenn. Kind of annoying that they’re capitalizing on the fame of WW hulk, too but I guess that’s standard operating procedure these days 

I get that it's just the name of the arch but I agree, kind of lame she has to follow in Hulk's shoes. That's why I always loved the character: she was way different than what Bruce was and it made her interesting. Now she's exactly what I didn't want her to be.

7 minutes ago, bashpics99 said:

I do kind of wonder if hasbro had a heads up that the winter guard would be getting some more attention in the comics, hence the decision to make figures of more if the team members. But given the time frame it takes to make figures it seems unlikely 

I assume it's more that the Winter Guard characters were getting a bigger spotlight thanks to the Black Widow movie putting a spotlight on Russian characters, so everyone Marvel adjacent has been putting some new focus on them.

6 hours ago, bashpics99 said:

I do kind of wonder if hasbro had a heads up that the winter guard would be getting some more attention in the comics, hence the decision to make figures of more if the team members. But given the time frame it takes to make figures it seems unlikely 

Don't forget comics are usually planned up to six months in advance so, Hasbro might have been planning to do the Winter Guard (they had done Red Guardian), but hearing that the team was making more appearances pushed up their production.

Still given that Aaron's run sole purpose seems to be to piss off as many people as possible, I don't see Jen going make to the Sensational Shhe-Hulk by stories end

Just as fascinating as all this sounds, I'll probably hang on for their next big event story-line: Secret Wars 2, both a sequel to their homage to the original Secret Wars and an homage to the SEQUEL to the original Secret Wars.

Of course, I've also heard good things about Civil War II II, an homage to their homage to Civil War.

:wacko:

20 minutes ago, mako said:

Just as fascinating as all this sounds, I'll probably hang on for their next big event story-line: Secret Wars 2, both a sequel to their homage to the original Secret Wars and an homage to the SEQUEL to the original Secret Wars.

Of course, I've also heard good things about Civil War II II, an homage to their homage to Civil War.

Don't worry, they can still do World War Red Hulk followed by World War Red She-Hulk followed by old man logan: world war hulk baby

12 hours ago, sentinelofliberty41 said:

I get that it's just the name of the arch but I agree, kind of lame she has to follow in Hulk's shoes. That's why I always loved the character: she was way different than what Bruce was and it made her interesting. Now she's exactly what I didn't want her to be.

Yeah, it's seemed pretty clear to me they wanted a more "Movie-esque" Hulk with the Avengers in the comics, but Bruce simply had too much baggage in comic continuity for that to fit (and Immortal Hulk is from what I've seen pretty great, if gruesome).  So they "bruted up" Jen instead.  Not a decision I'm a fan of, either. 

12 hours ago, sentinelofliberty41 said:

I was thinking the same thing. Their are changing Jens character by making her just another Hulkesque character. Irks me.

1 hour ago, SUPREME007 said:

I was thinking the same thing. Their are changing Jens character by making her just another Hulkesque character. Irks me.

Sadly, far from the first time Marvel has thrown out years of well-established characterization in favor of a poorly written story line, nor will it be the last. Just look what's going on in the X-Men titles.

I mean, I have plenty of issues with some of the decisions Marvel makes with characterization and storylines, but to hear you and a couple others around here speak, Marvel should've just stopped making new stories about 1990 and just reprinted trade paperbacks of their old stuff forevermore, never trying anything new or different again.

2 hours ago, Jmacq1 said:

Yeah, it's seemed pretty clear to me they wanted a more "Movie-esque" Hulk with the Avengers in the comics, but Bruce simply had too much baggage in comic continuity for that to fit (and Immortal Hulk is from what I've seen pretty great, if gruesome).  So they "bruted up" Jen instead.  Not a decision I'm a fan of, either. 

Basically the whole deal with Jen is that Aaron wanted to have Bruce on his team but Ewing wouldn't let him use Banner due to Immortal Hulk, so instead of thinking of something else, Aaron just shoehorned Jen into the Banner role.

3 hours ago, mako said:

I can't wait for Civil War Squared: Battle over the cake slice.

21 hours ago, JayC said:

Jason Aaron and Javier Garrón’s run on AVENGERS continues this July with the storyline She-Hulk fans have been waiting for! Beginning in AVENGERS #46, WORLD WAR SHE-HULK will bring Jennifer Walters’ current journey to its pulse-pounding conclusion, setting the hero on a new path just in time for Avengers #50. An homage to the hit 2007 crossover event by Greg Pak, WORLD WAR SHE-HULK will stand on its own as a new pulse-pounding saga in the Hulk mythos. The action-packed arc will see She-Hulk facing off against Red Guardian and the Winter Guard.

After the shocking events of “Enter the Phoenix,” the Earth has become more fractured and volatile than ever, especially for the Avengers. Once She-Hulk is declared a global menace, Russia’s mightiest heroes, the Winter Guard, are tasked with bringing Jen to justice and face a fate no Hulk could hope to endure.

“When the Russian Winter Guard invade Avengers Mountain to arrest She-Hulk, it sets off a global espionage adventure that takes us from the notorious assassin training academy of the Red Room to an undersea kingdom on the verge of violent revolution,” Aaron said. “Along the way, traitors will fall, regimes will crumble and the dark evolution of Jennifer Walters will reach its bloody red crescendo, all as we build toward the epic events of Avengers #50.”

Don’t miss this exciting chapter in the saga of She-Hulk when AVENGERS #46 hits stands on July 7th.

AVENGERS #46
Written by JASON AARON
Art and Cover by JAVIER GARRÓN
On Sale 7/7

World-War-She-Hulk.jpg

This sound interesting. I hope they dont take her past the point of redemption.

The Avengers need a new writer, like Jim Zub or Al Ewing, but Ewing is writing too many titles right now. So Zub should do, especially with him wanting to write Wanda, and him doing good with Empyre: Avengers 

3 hours ago, Jmacq1 said:

I mean, I have plenty of issues with some of the decisions Marvel makes with characterization and storylines, but to hear you and a couple others around here speak, Marvel should've just stopped making new stories about 1990 and just reprinted trade paperbacks of their old stuff forevermore, never trying anything new or different again.

But the whole point is they are constantly using event titles that hearken back to older ones, e.g. CIvil War II, Hickman's Secret Wars, and yes World War She-Hulk.  It would be one thing if was a somewhat clever twist on the old title, but nope.  

And there are indeed plenty of great comics being made today, immortal hulk comes to mind right off the bat. 

2 hours ago, nWoWolfpack said:

The Avengers need a new writer, like Jim Zub or Al Ewing, but Ewing is writing too many titles right now. So Zub should do, especially with him wanting to write Wanda, and him doing good with Empyre: Avengers 

Yes, please god kick Aaron to the curb. Have him take a Prehistoric Avengers spin-off, that's clearly the only thing he really cares about. Zub's Champions was good and so was his Empyre stuff, I'd be thrilled for him to get his shot.

4 hours ago, nWoWolfpack said:

With Immortal Hulk ending, I think Ewing should be open for handling another title. And considering he proved himself with both Immortal Hulk and Empyre, I think making him the next Avengers writer is a no-brainer. But that's not to say Jim Zub wouldn't be a great choice. In my perfect world, Ewing, Zub and Waid (due to being the No Surrender / No Way Home team) would each handle an Avengers book, with all three titles sharing an underlying status-quo narrative not unlike the way X-books are currently being handled.

6 hours ago, Jmacq1 said:

but to hear you and a couple others around here speak

lmao. The old geezers in here with the "Old man yells at a cloud" mentality who complain about things they only know about are not a good judge of quality.

However, that being said, coming from a person who is actually up to date with modern Marvel... Avengers is definitely not a crowd-pleaser. Does that mean that Marvel should have stopped in the 90s? No, there are still a lot of great titles coming out, a lot of great writers doing their best, and a lot of great artists drawing their best.