Legends-esque lines for other properties

Dabboi

I really want to see them continue with D&D, it doesn't seem like they have plans for that though

I always wanted a Spawn line in 6'' scale, but I guess Mcfarlane is really going forward with a Spawn line, so I'll just take it as 7'' , I would have loved Altered Beast and maybe some more Video game lines like Streets of Rage, could be really cool to see a fantasy oriented line, like Conan and Kull, Battle beasts would be really awesome, highly articulated visions of the original figures, this is what comes to mind right now.

1 hour ago, Dabboi said:

Sort of on topic, does anyone know if Marvel is able to create merchandise for characters like Ultraman, Predator, or Conan?

I imagine that the answer is no, but a Conan ML figure seems possible

It depends whether Marvel owns or licenses the character. Or, to be more precise, whether Disney does. Disney does own the Predator IP now since they acquired Fox in 2019. This is how Marvel will publish Predator comics. That doesn't mean that Marvel owns Predator, but Disney could allow Hasbro to produce Predator toys under the Marvel Legends banner if they wanted to. It would be a little weird, and I imagine it would require some shuffling of intra-office paperwork, but there would be no one to stop or file suit against Marvel/Hasbro for doing it. The only thing stopping it is if Disney or Marvel don't want Predator associated with the Marvel brand, which they might now.

Conan the Barbarian is a different story. Disney does not own Conan; the property still belongs to the Robert E. Howard Estate, who gives Marvel permission to publish Conan comics under a very specific license, with very specific restrictions. The Howard Estate could enter its own agreement with Hasbro to produce Conan action figures, but they would not be part of the Marvel Legends line. If Marvel/Disney wanted to produce a Conan figure for the line, that would require a whole other contract with the Howard estate, and almost definitely mean sharing the profits of the toy with the estate. Disney does not like sharing its profits with anyone unless they absolutely have to; that's why we haven't gotten a Hulk movie since 2008.

I don't know anything about Ultraman so I can't speak to that case. 

8 hours ago, The Mad Bubbler said:

An Indiana Jones series would be amazing! I think it would be good to mix-up the waves among the different movies, to give it variety, and prevent pegwarming of characters from less-popular Indy movies, so people could complete the BAFs. Wave ideas...

---Wave 1:

• Classic "Raiders" Indy
  • Marion Ravenwood (red and white "Raiders" outfit)
  • Toht
  • Indy in Tuxedo (TOD)
  • Mola Ram
  • Grail Knight
  • Elsa Schneider
  • BAF:  Arabian Horse

---Wave 2:

• Indy in jacket with tie, with machine gun (Last Crusade)
  • Dr. Henry Jones
  • Irina Spalko
  • German Soldier
  • Indy in Desert Robes (Raiders)
  • Short Round
  • BAF: German Mechanic

---Wave 3:

• Indy (German soldier disguise)
  • Indy (Kingdom of the Crystal Skull)
  • Belloq (ceremonial robe)
  • Col. Vogel
  • Sallah (robe)
  • Willie Scott (red dress)
  • Cairo swordsman
  • BAF: Ark with Ark spirit

This is a great set of waves. Getting representation from multiple movies in each wave is brilliant. 

Also keeps it down to the best options so as to not get out of hand like the 3.75 line tended to. 

1 hour ago, Dabboi said:

Sort of on topic, does anyone know if Marvel is able to create merchandise for characters like Ultraman, Predator, or Conan?

I actually owned that old ToyBiz version of Conan that came in the two pack. Once I saw Marvel threw him into that Savage Avengers team I went to pull him out of storage.

even with TBs outdated articulation he was a nice figure. Of course mine is no where to be found.. bummer .. that figure is more than I’d pay on the secondary market

23 hours ago, Jmacq1 said:

I'm hoping Hasbro will do more of the D&D line they've hinted at with Drizzt, and branch out beyond just the Forgotten Realms (though I'm sure the Realms will be the heavy focus for the first few years).

Along those lines I'd be practically all in on a "Fantasy Legends" line that did characters from various fantasy novel series (Non-D&D/Non-Tolkien):  Song of Ice and Fire, Wheel of Time, The Witcher, etc...  As long as they kept the waves consistent within themselves.  (Though to be fair I'd by individual series from those various novels and series, too). 

Would love to see the movie Krull in this fantasy line. One of my all time favorite movies growing up. It would be so awesome to see the Glaive in 6" scale, so many possibilities to make it into different types of effect accessories.

3 hours ago, RyanDaly said:

It depends whether Marvel owns or licenses the character. Or, to be more precise, whether Disney does. Disney does own the Predator IP now since they acquired Fox in 2019. This is how Marvel will publish Predator comics. That doesn't mean that Marvel owns Predator, but Disney could allow Hasbro to produce Predator toys under the Marvel Legends banner if they wanted to. It would be a little weird, and I imagine it would require some shuffling of intra-office paperwork, but there would be no one to stop or file suit against Marvel/Hasbro for doing it. The only thing stopping it is if Disney or Marvel don't want Predator associated with the Marvel brand, which they might now.

Conan the Barbarian is a different story. Disney does not own Conan; the property still belongs to the Robert E. Howard Estate, who gives Marvel permission to publish Conan comics under a very specific license, with very specific restrictions. The Howard Estate could enter its own agreement with Hasbro to produce Conan action figures, but they would not be part of the Marvel Legends line. If Marvel/Disney wanted to produce a Conan figure for the line, that would require a whole other contract with the Howard estate, and almost definitely mean sharing the profits of the toy with the estate. Disney does not like sharing its profits with anyone unless they absolutely have to; that's why we haven't gotten a Hulk movie since 2008.

I don't know anything about Ultraman so I can't speak to that case. 

Yeah, I don't think Hasbro could make a "Marvel Legends" Conan, though if they did it would almost certainly be an SDCC/Hasbro Pulse exclusive and nothing else.

The thing is the rights for Conan are...complicated.  They've passed through a lot of hands and been through some disputes over the years, some of which were never fully resolved.  

In 2028 all of Robert E. Howard's Conan stories (and the elements created within them) should become public domain, as well, which will make things...interesting.

But Hasbro seems to shy away from the public domain characters so far (Toy Biz flirted with them a little, at least in one box set), though Mr. Hyde (even though the Marvel version is not the same as the literary version) may point at a step in that direction.  I'd love to see them do a modern Dracula.

Anyway, point being:  There's a reasonably good chance Hasbro could make a Conan Marvel Legends figure sometime around 2028 but it would still probably involve more of a court fight than they want to deal with because Cabinet Entertainment is probably going to try to prevent the public domain thing from happening one way or another.

A kind of opposite situation to the whole Conan thing is Rom: Spaceknight.  Hasbro DOES own the rights to Rom now and could make a figure of him if they like...but they couldn't make a Marvel Legends figure of Rom without Disney's permission.  (I know some people have suggested the idea of a "Rom Branded" Rom figure that just HAPPENS to be Marvel Legends Compatible and I think that's a fine idea.  Though an even better idea would be a full Rom line with other Spaceknights and Dire Wraiths and such, but I guess we can add that to the "Legends-esque lines I'd like to see!"

39 minutes ago, Jmacq1 said:

A kind of opposite situation to the whole Conan thing is Rom: Spaceknight.  Hasbro DOES own the rights to Rom now and could make a figure of him if they like...but they couldn't make a Marvel Legends figure of Rom without Disney's permission.  (I know some people have suggested the idea of a "Rom Branded" Rom figure that just HAPPENS to be Marvel Legends Compatible and I think that's a fine idea.  Though an even better idea would be a full Rom line with other Spaceknights and Dire Wraiths and such, but I guess we can add that to the "Legends-esque lines I'd like to see!"

Dude a ROM figure would be awesome. And I hope sooner rather than later Hasbro makes the monster based figures like Dracula (and some other vampire accociated characters), Frankenstein, and man wolf.

16 minutes ago, ScottieACE said:

The original BATTLESTAR GALACTICA or ROBOTECH woul be pretty sweet!

Yes the original BSG would be amazing! As a kid I loved that show as much as I loved Star Wars. Always preferred the Colonial Vipers over the XWing too. Plus something about those “pharaoh” looking flight helmets was just awesome. 

1 hour ago, Jmacq1 said:

Yeah, I don't think Hasbro could make a "Marvel Legends" Conan, though if they did it would almost certainly be an SDCC/Hasbro Pulse exclusive and nothing else.

The thing is the rights for Conan are...complicated.  They've passed through a lot of hands and been through some disputes over the years, some of which were never fully resolved.  

In 2028 all of Robert E. Howard's Conan stories (and the elements created within them) should become public domain, as well, which will make things...interesting.

But Hasbro seems to shy away from the public domain characters so far (Toy Biz flirted with them a little, at least in one box set), though Mr. Hyde (even though the Marvel version is not the same as the literary version) may point at a step in that direction.  I'd love to see them do a modern Dracula.

Anyway, point being:  There's a reasonably good chance Hasbro could make a Conan Marvel Legends figure sometime around 2028 but it would still probably involve more of a court fight than they want to deal with because Cabinet Entertainment is probably going to try to prevent the public domain thing from happening one way or another.

This is the very reason I snagged one of those 3.75” ROM figures that came in that odd Hasbro SDCC box set a few years back. 

Although clearly kitbashed he scaled perfectly to the rest of the Marvel Universe line. Plus just a cool character. It’s fun that when Marvel had the rights to certain characters, they really integrated them into the MU.. can remember a Secret Wars II crossover for ROM, the Avengers battling the Shogun Warriors, and Godzilla stomping around the MU.

4 hours ago, McHogan said:

I actually owned that old ToyBiz version of Conan that came in the two pack. Once I saw Marvel threw him into that Savage Avengers team I went to pull him out of storage.

even with TBs outdated articulation he was a nice figure. Of course mine is no where to be found.. bummer .. that figure is more than I’d pay on the secondary market

Tell me. Even when the line was still going, some of those Legendary Comic Book Heroes figures were commanding ridiculous prices online, especially the second series. I was lucky enough to hunt down Savage Dragon, SuperPatriot, and Star for a decent prices on Ebay not to long ago though.

On that note, going back to my idea for a LCBH revival, I'd love to see a special focus on some of the 90s era Wildstorm characters . . . particularly the WildC.A.T.S.

Firefly, I need to update and complete my Serenity crew.

Lord of the Rings, Toy Biz did a great job, but they sorely need an update in 6", I don't want the select versions.

Probably impossible, or a one-shot... Independence Day, it's probably the only 90's property from my childhood that isn't on my shelf.

Scott Pilgrim, again, probably too limited a selection of characters to make a line... but I'd really like to have a band on my shelf (could even have a Build a Drumkit way of spreading out the instrument) 

I'd say Community but that would just be civilians, lol.

Aliens, Neca is great, but they're not in 1:12, and I'd really like some Colonial Marines. Predator too, again, Neca is great but I want my toys to play nicely together.

Uncharted, limited selection, but it would be awesome to have some Drake and Sully figures in 1:12.

I'd love to complete my MK ninjas from MK9, made by an affordable line. 

11 hours ago, McHogan said:

This is the very reason I snagged one of those 3.75” ROM figures that came in that odd Hasbro SDCC box set a few years back. 

Although clearly kitbashed he scaled perfectly to the rest of the Marvel Universe line. Plus just a cool character. It’s fun that when Marvel had the rights to certain characters, they really integrated them into the MU.. can remember a Secret Wars II crossover for ROM, the Avengers battling the Shogun Warriors, and Godzilla stomping around the MU.

Fun fact:  During that time period it was actually not uncommon for licensed books (particularly Star Wars and GI Joe) to be Marvel's best-selling books for any given month/year.

Not-so-fun fact:  Sadly while that integration into the Marvel Universe was pretty cool at the time, it makes it near impossible to reference those characters and stories now without jumping through a lot of hoops to "disguise" things, which gets extra-unfortunate when in some cases elements from those licensed properties ended up being kind of a big deal.

1 hour ago, Jmacq1 said:

Fun fact:  During that time period it was actually not uncommon for licensed books (particularly Star Wars and GI Joe) to be Marvel's best-selling books for any given month/year.

Not-so-fun fact:  Sadly while that integration into the Marvel Universe was pretty cool at the time, it makes it near impossible to reference those characters and stories now without jumping through a lot of hoops to "disguise" things, which gets extra-unfortunate when in some cases elements from those licensed properties ended up being kind of a big deal.

Yeah, Marvel's attempt to claim all those characters as theirs wasn't a good idea and they are still doing it.

11 hours ago, mako said:

Tell me. Even when the line was still going, some of those Legendary Comic Book Heroes figures were commanding ridiculous prices online, especially the second series. I was lucky enough to hunt down Savage Dragon, SuperPatriot, and Star for a decent prices on Ebay not to long ago though.

On that note, going back to my idea for a LCBH revival, I'd love to see a special focus on some of the 90s era Wildstorm characters . . . particularly the WildC.A.T.S.

I was "fortunate" to land both series of LCBH. I literally walked up the aisle as they were unboxing the 2nd series so that was just a bit of luck I'm not often prone to having. The rub on that is I was unfortunate enough to get 2 left feet on the Gorilla Man BAF (which was otherwise awesome).

I'm not sure how many are aware of it, but at the time there was a similar line being launched called the Indie Spotlight series by Shocker toys. It was targeting a similar audience and it started out with characters from several independent comics like Strangers in Paradise and Scud the Disposable Assassin and even Darkhawk from Image Comics. They were fairly well done, probably somewhat similar in quality to Toybiz's Marvel Legends. Anyway, the first "wave" was to have The Maxx as the BAF, but it shifted to where he was actually the "Deluxe" figure of the wave and instead of a BAF part each figure had a few versions of the Isz, which were the little minions of the main villain, Mr. Gone, some white, some black and even some pink. There was even an old school Kenner style mail in offer for a Mr. Gone bonus figure, if you had all the UPC codes, which I did. The proposed 2nd wave was even better, boasting The Tick as the Deluxe figure. Sadly, the line died before the 2nd wave and though I never got it, I think The Tick figure made it into very small production.

Cutting the rant short, this was a novel idea that I thought most indie creators that probably had little to no chance of their characters ever being made into an action figure could get behind. It was a great idea on its face. I guess the popular belief was that there were some creators that couldn't be happy with final production design decisions and some possible infighting among the toy manufacturer personnel that put the line in it's grave. Ultimately I think the problem was low sales as the product made it into mostly just specialty and novelty shops and the packaging was so poor that the glue on the cards were breaking away on the shelves. This was in the early days of the big online stores like BBTS and EE so they didn't carry these experimental types back then, so I chalk it more up to lack of exposure and lack of distribution.

I think a line like this would make major waves in today's market, maybe done by a phenomenal, hungry company like Jazzwares, but sadly since most toy companies are owned by larger corporations that have their own superhero tie-ins or most indie comics, at least partly, have merch contracts with companies like Mezco and NECA, I don't think there's a chance of something like this ever happening again. If it ever did happen I would hope we could get behind the line and make it work.

Though the prototypes were shown and I got an exciting email that the production would start "any day now", I never did get that Mr. Gone figure.

I'd love to see a TMNT line that had the same quality and especially articulation as Marvel Legends.  I absolutely love what NECA has done with TMNT, but they don't have quite enough articulation and of course don't scale with ML.  DC Direct did some good figures of them for the Batman vs. TMNT line, but the quality/durability is a bit questionable.  So yeah, something that meets in the middle right where ML is would be outstanding.  

42 minutes ago, greenlucario said:

I'd love to see a TMNT line that had the same quality and especially articulation as Marvel Legends.  I absolutely love what NECA has done with TMNT, but they don't have quite enough articulation and of course don't scale with ML.  DC Direct did some good figures of them for the Batman vs. TMNT line, but the quality/durability is a bit questionable.  So yeah, something that meets in the middle right where ML is would be outstanding.  

TMNT legends style would be cool to see, and even those rumored power rangers/tmnt cross-over figures ever happen we might get too see a glimpse of what could have been, and I know this will definitely be an unpopular opinion but I want too see someone take on the recent movie TMNT turtles. 

22 hours ago, monron999 said:

LCBH.

Indie Spotlight series by Shocker toys.

Ah both of these would really be amazing to see return, both of these lines were great, and at a time when that was something we could see, you said it in your actual post how hard it likely would be to see these or lines like these to be produced now a days, but just imagine, I also always just wanted a classic Image comics line of 6'' figures myself, get a new Savage Dragon, Wild Cats, Cyberforce, Young Blood, Shadowhawk (who was one of my favorites as a kid, and actually that indie spotlight figure is still nice to look at), Gen13, Darkness, Darkchylde etc etc, also I'd be pretty damn into seein a Demonslayer line, I mean I also wouldn't be that mad if I could update my Top Cow figures as well like Witchblade, Lady Death and so forth. I feel like if they did do new versions of any of this they'd be independent limited run expensive figures though, I mean I guess they just showed us a 6'' Lady Death figure coming out.

8 minutes ago, Lord_Scareglow said:

Ah both of these would really be amazing to see return, both of these lines were great, and at a time when that was something we could see, you said it in your actual post how hard it likely would be to see these or lines like these to be produced now a days, but just imagine, I also always just wanted a classic Image comics line of 6'' figures myself, get a new Savage Dragon, Wild Cats, Cyberforce, Young Blood, Shadowhawk (who was one of my favorites as a kid, and actually that indie spotlight figure is still nice to look at), Gen13, Darkness, Darkchylde etc etc, also I'd be pretty damn into seein a Demonslayer line, I mean I also wouldn't be that mad if I could update my Top Cow figures as well like Witchblade, Lady Death and so forth. I feel like if they did do new versions of any of this they'd be independent limited run expensive figures though, I mean I guess they just showed us a 6'' Lady Death figure coming out.

Yes man I need an affordable 6 inch scale thunder cates that isn't Super. Maybe mattel could take up the mantel again if their MOTU 6 inch stuff does well.

I desperately want a Legends equivalent line for Capcom properties as a whole. Street Fighter gets decent treatment, but we're sorely lacking figures for Resident Evil, Mega Man, Devil May Cry, Darkstalkers, Dead Rising, and all the deep cuts in their library, and I'd love a line that can scale well for a Marvel vs. Capcom shelf.

Star Trek. Aside from the Playmates toys in the 90's we haven't gotten a deep line of Star Trek figures in a very long time. DST did a decent amount of figures from TOS (my personal favorite series) in the early 2000s but it was the main cast and a few off shoot characters. I want a line of detailed Star Trek figures from all of the series. Star Trek is my biggest love next to Marvel and I need this to happen but don't see it ever coming to fruition.

On 4/22/2021 at 3:47 PM, Dabboi said:

Definitely not Ultraman. Marvel licenses the character, but he's still owned by Bandai, one of Hasbro's direct competitors in the toy market. The only reason Hasbro's Power Rangers figures are possible is because they outright bought the IP.

8 hours ago, Fyrefly21 said:

I desperately want a Legends equivalent line for Capcom properties as a whole. Street Fighter gets decent treatment, but we're sorely lacking figures for Resident Evil, Mega Man, Devil May Cry, Darkstalkers, Dead Rising, and all the deep cuts in their library, and I'd love a line that can scale well for a Marvel vs. Capcom shelf.

1 hour ago, Dabboi said:

I would also love a Soul Calibur line of figures, crazy that there's so few SC stuff out there

Both a Capcom and Soul Calibur sound amazing as a Legends style line!