Olivia Colman In Negotiations To Join 'Secret Invasion' With Samuel L. Jackson

Outsiders

Oscar nominee Olivia Colman is in negotiations to join Secret Invasion, Marvel Studios' next series.

The show uses the events of Marvel’s Captain Marvel movie as a launching pad and focuses on the ever-popular secret agent Nick Fury, played by a returning Samuel L. Jackson, and a shapeshifter from the alien race known as the Skrulls (Ben Mendelsohn, reprising his role from the feature).  Plot details are being kept under wraps but an infiltration of Skrulls on Earth figures into the proceedings.

It is unclear who Colman would play, but the cast also includes Kingsley Ben-Adir as the likely villain.

No director has been selected yet but Kyle Bradstreet is writing and executive producing Invasion with production starting in the Fall in the UK and Europe.

Colman won an Oscar for her work opposite Emma Stone and Rachel Weisz in 2018’s The Favourite and was nominated for the best supporting actress Academy Award for her role in the British drama The Father.

Source: The Hollywood Reporter

Olivia_Colman.jpg

1 hour ago, Actionfiguremadman said:

The twist nobody has picked up on, is that Skrulls will not be the ones infiltrating, it will be the Kree. Talos, as Fury, made reference to Kree sleeper cells on Earth in Spider-man: Honecoming.

I really hope you're right about that, because making Secret Invasion be Skrulls infiltrating like in the comics would completely fly in the face of what they've done and set up with the Skrulls and Kree previously in the MCU.

11 hours ago, Actionfiguremadman said:

The twist nobody has picked up on, is that Skrulls will not be the ones infiltrating, it will be the Kree. Talos, as Fury, made reference to Kree sleeper cells on Earth in Spider-man: Honecoming.

Given that there are human skinned Kree, it would be easy for them to hide without the need for disguises

On 4/19/2021 at 3:44 PM, Jeddostotle7 said:

I really hope you're right about that, because making Secret Invasion be Skrulls infiltrating like in the comics would completely fly in the face of what they've done and set up with the Skrulls and Kree previously in the MCU.

Unless the Skrulls were just a group of refugee Skrulls caught in the middle of the war. This would leave it open to the actual Skrull Empire to invade and infiltrate like in the comics. I don't think this will happen but it's something I thought could be a work around for what's been established if the MCU wanted to go in the same direction as the comics.

• 2 weeks later...

I had preferred that the MCU explore more of the characters they already established, like the Black Panther, Dr. Strange, Ant-Man, Hawkeye, Captain Marvel, etc before getting into something as ambitious as the Kree/Skrull War Invasion. What was the fall-out of finding out SHIELD was a cover for HYDRA? Is that totally over? Are there still HYDRA cells out there, is SHIELD ever going to return? Was all of SHIELD truly infiltrated from day one, or was that a lie? 

Who knows, maybe this upcoming film will go into some of that. Should be interesting!

4 hours ago, Atlantis said:

I had preferred that the MCU explore more of the characters they already established, like the Black Panther, Dr. Strange, Ant-Man, Hawkeye, Captain Marvel, etc before getting into something as ambitious as the Kree/Skrull War Invasion. What was the fall-out of finding out SHIELD was a cover for HYDRA? Is that totally over? Are there still HYDRA cells out there, is SHIELD ever going to return? Was all of SHIELD truly infiltrated from day one, or was that a lie? 

Who knows, maybe this upcoming film will go into some of that. Should be interesting!

The whole Hydra and Shield thing was dealt with in Agents of Shield

5 hours ago, leokearon said:

The whole Hydra and Shield thing was dealt with in Agents of Shield

None of which actually applies here. Keep in mind, unlike the Disney+ series', Agents of SHIELD, Agent Carter, and the Netflix series were/are considered the red-headed step-children of the MCU. Fiege and company more or less went out of their way to NOT acknowledge the shows at all.

I love Agents of SHIELD, and always will, but I have no illusions that what little cannonical value it may have left is solely because the movies or the Disney+ shows simply haven't bothered to pave over it yet.

3 hours ago, mako said:

None of which actually applies here. Keep in mind, unlike the Disney+ series', Agents of SHIELD, Agent Carter, and the Netflix series were/are considered the red-headed step-children of the MCU. Fiege and company more or less went out of their way to NOT acknowledge the shows at all.

I love Agents of SHIELD, and always will, but I have no illusions that what little cannonical value it may have left is solely because the movies or the Disney+ shows simply haven't bothered to pave over it yet.

True, but until they are directly contradicted they are canon, same with any TV spin-off. Still I don't see them really wanting to redo the same stories if they don't have to.

2 hours ago, leokearon said:

True, but until they are directly contradicted they are canon, same with any TV spin-off. Still I don't see them really wanting to redo the same stories if they don't have to.

Probably not, but I'd be surprised if SHIELD and/or HYDRA didn't pop-up again at some point, with absolutely no mention of anything from the shows.

4 minutes ago, mako said:

Probably not, but I'd be surprised if SHIELD and/or HYDRA didn't pop-up again at some point, with absolutely no mention of anything from the shows.

They will probably return at some point, they always do in the comics 

1 hour ago, leokearon said:

They will probably return at some point, they always do in the comics 

Exactly. It's like Captain America. We all loved Steve giving Sam the shield, and Sam becoming the new Cap even more, but we'd be nuts if we thought Steve would never be back in the red, white and blues.

You know, I’ve always thought that Talos’s crew were not representative of the entire Skrull Empire. That THIS group of Skrulls aren’t war mongers but that most of the rest were. 

Certainly the MCU hasn’t hinted at this but as far as a Secret Invasion storyline this makes the most sense. 

I get that the MCU does their own take on famous stories but removing the Skrulls as the main antagonist could prove tricky.

1 hour ago, McHogan said:

You know, I’ve always thought that Talos’s crew were not representative of the entire Skrull Empire. That THIS group of Skrulls aren’t war mongers but that most of the rest were. 

Certainly the MCU hasn’t hinted at this but as far as a Secret Invasion storyline this makes the most sense. 

I get that the MCU does their own take on famous stories but removing the Skrulls as the main antagonist could prove tricky.

exactly. do you really think an entire race of people would want peace after being hunted by the Kree across the galaxy? No. Just like every time this has happened in history, there will be people who are radicalised and those that are not.

2 hours ago, McHogan said:

Yup, mentioned this exact thing earlier in the post. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who things this would be a possibility.

Well there's should be good skrulls and bad ones too, kree already feel like failed empire at this point if they go against humans allied with skrulls it will be super predictable vs. story, it would be way more compelling  if at first it will be seen as supposed kree invasion, which will be revealed as misdirect orchestrated by skrulls that secretly want to conquer earth, the  whole idea of skrulls betraying humans will be not just a dramatic storyline but will make for better more complex and dimensional story with all the different allegiances and motives inside skrull race.

5 hours ago, McHogan said:

You know, I’ve always thought that Talos’s crew were not representative of the entire Skrull Empire.

Even if they were, how often have new regimes risen to completely alter a country/people's value systems and/or political agenda. The Bolsheviks in Russia, the Nazi party in Germany; there are still places in Asia, the Middle East, Central and South America etc. where coup d'etat occur almost on a daily basis.

Maybe Talos himself becomes radicalized and leads the Skrulls against his Earth allies. Lord knows that happens to the United States . . . a lot.

1 hour ago, mako said:

Even if they were, how often have new regimes risen to completely alter a country/people's value systems and/or political agenda. The Bolsheviks in Russia, the Nazi party in Germany; there are still places in Asia, the Middle East, Central and South America etc. where coup d'etat occur almost on a daily basis.

Maybe Talos himself becomes radicalized and leads the Skrulls against his Earth allies. Lord knows that happens to the United States . . . a lot.

I admit I’d be bummed if this were true. Ben Mendelsohn plays good guys so infrequently it would have some emotional impact if he turned heel. 

His Talos was a nice surprise. It surprised me a bit as a life long comics fan how easily I accepted the Skrulls as good guys. I mean, it’s not unheard of that a few Skrulls allied themselves with the Marvel heroes but for 99.5 % of their history they were always the cosmic jerks in any cosmic Marvel story. Funny side story.. I’d actually purchased the Talos Marvel Legends figure and put him in my case that stores the other MCU villains before I saw the Captain Marvel film. After viewing I was legitimately hesitant to put a dirty Skrull into the face side of my collection...guess that goes to show how comics were formative in how I view Marvel characters. 

anyway, I haven’t seen much with Olivia Coleman but in many cases it’s not the A list celebrity that makes a given MCU movie rather it’s the supporting cast of amazing actors that take bit roles/ supporting characters and round out.. dare I say ground the fantastic circumstances that happen in MCU flicks.