Figure you wouldn't mind getting a Modern version before a classic version?

tarot

I know most people in this collection are mostly classic collectors (many to an extreme,  dare I say, Nazi level of cases) but has there ever been a character that you wouldn't mind getting a modern version of before they even made a classic? Like have you ever seen a modern design for a character and said, "Yep. If we get a figure of that, I wouldn't mind waiting for classic a bit longer". 

If I was to use an example, I always wanted a Volstagg figure (out of the three he is my favourite) but If Hasbro was to make a War Thor version, I would be happy.

volstagg.jpg

This guy's classic figure has already been made, but I wish we had gotten an Agent of Asgard Loki figure before classic Loki. It's the version of Loki that made me like the character, and Agent of Asgard is still to this day one of my favorite comic book runs. In a similar vein, it wouldn't have bothered me if Hasbro had released a Pymtron figure before classic Ultron. It's an interesting status quo for the character.

In terms of figures that haven't been made, I'll be content if Hasbro did the Mandarin by just slapping a new head and hands into the Nick Fury suited body. The only other Mandarin look that I like, the 1990s-2000s tunic, feels like a nightmare to engineer without making the entirety of the tunic out of soft goods, and I don't like soft goods in my action figures. If Hasbro did suited Mandarin, they could allocate the part of the budged that would have gone into a brand-new body into multiple hands and effect pieces.

Oh, also Titanium Man. Never liked the H.E.R.B.I.E.-on-steroids look, and I'll be getting the Marvel Select version of it to make do more than anything.

Atlas (arguably his best look, his Goliath look was bad)

Eternals (I like their modern looks better as well as their faces, cos Kirby drew the women like middle aged men) 

Luke Cage 

Hmm.. this is a tough one. While many modern looks are ok ( Hercules, Moon Knight) I cant say I’d have preferred them to either of Herc’s more famous looks or the Walgreens Moon Knight. 

Guess I fall on the classics first side of the fence. But a well made and designed figure is always welcome 

7 minutes ago, Gigantor said:

Hardly any I can think of,  90%  of the classics are the best! Who asked for man bun Herc!? Majority of us Herc fans want either or both of these versions!

426582444_Hercules80slook.thumb.jpg.8cd5a78f3d99dac323e051f745cd712c.jpg1401230401_HERCULESclassicversion.thumb.png.ef244d2a1fd683412483e1af1474ef61.png

Who you say? Who? I’ll tell ya WHO:

Modern collectors (Who collect stuff based on modern comics) 

People who wanted to fill out the Waid’s Avengers

Me 

Avengers fans who want every era

Hercules fans

etc...

Oh for god sake. Don't start. This is a fun discussion. 

@Gigantor it doesn't matter if it still in use or not. People wanted it for the reason he said. Also don't act like you speak for everyone. People don't like that and they will jump upon you about it. Instead just say, I would have preferred. It make it less maddening then

@nWoWolfpack he is entitled to his own opinion. He prefers classics which is alright as many people do. I love classics. 

Herc got a new look at the end of Avengers: No Road Home which was the launching pad for Al Ewing taking over the cosmic side of Marvel, which has been lacking, but back to looks I’d say, I’d take modern looks of all these guys that are missing: Emperor Hulkling, Court Wizard Wiccan, Star-Lord, Gamora, Phyla-Vell, Moondragon,  Drax, Herc, Noh-Varr and Mantis and a few others, I’m loving this new space age and it’s connectivity to other things Al has written and X-Books, Hulk and Iron Man and other older books 

image.thumb.jpeg.5e2e34b035484ef3aa4054f80455fe7e.jpeg

8 minutes ago, Gigantor said:

So Doom & Super Skrull are now good guys? I give up!

Doom acts in accordance to his own interests because he's Doom, not to mention the first thing he did when he encountered the Guardians was attack and belittle them, and will probably try to order them around (hint: it's only been an issue).

As for Super-Skrull, he is loyal to the Skrull/Kree throne, so whatever is of Hulkling's interest is of his own interest. It is also worth mentioning that Hulkling has specifically assigned Super-Skrull to a diplomatic posting to stop him from shedding any more blood.

I understand if you want to give up understanding the nuances of layered characters. It must be scary, I know.

5 hours ago, tarot said:

I know most people in this collection are mostly classic collectors (many to an extreme,  dare I say, Nazi level of cases) but has there ever been a

Why? Why go there?

Anyway... My preference leans very, very heavily on what I consider "classic" or "iconic" looks, such as those that defined characters in the comics and merchandise pre-Secret Wars (1984). There are exceptions, however, usually when it comes to newer characters. The first one that jumped to mind as soon as I read the topic is Ironheart. I'm actually passing on the figure they just announced, even though I think it looks great, and that head sculpt is gorgeous! But I prefer her new look in the comics with the pinkish trim. I'm not a fan of the She-Iron Man style. 

Others would be somebody like Miles Morales Spider-Man. I missed him the first time around and didn't want to overpay on the secondary market. I was more than thrilled to see the Into the Spider-Verse version come along with the jacket and shoes. I like that version to the standard costume Miles because it shows more of his identity (to me). Another example would be the Carol Danvers Captain Marvel that I was happy to add to the collection, even though I like the classic black costume better and will hopefully get that one some day. The Captain Marvel Carol, though, could use an update. Same with the modern Scott Lang Ant-Man in the 2-pack with Stinger. That was a fine placeholder until the vintage wave Ant-Man came around, which is, in itself, only a placeholder because I really hope they take another pass at classic Ant-Man, be it Hank or Scott.

5 hours ago, tarot said:

I know most people in this collection are mostly classic collectors (many to an extreme,  dare I say, Nazi level of cases) but has there ever been a character that you wouldn't mind getting a modern version of before they even made a classic? Like have you ever seen a modern design for a character and said, "Yep. If we get a figure of that, I wouldn't mind waiting for classic a bit longer". 

If I was to use an example, I always wanted a Volstagg figure (out of the three he is my favourite) but If Hasbro was to make a War Thor version, I would be happy.

volstagg.jpg

The unworthy run with thor, so basically how he has been appearing except for the black winter run. I love that look, the destroyer arm, and the missing eye I prefer modern thor look over classic.

4 hours ago, nWoWolfpack said:

Atlas (arguably his best look, his Goliath look was bad)

Eternals (I like their modern looks better as well as their faces, cos Kirby drew the women like middle aged men) 

Luke Cage 

Luke Cage is definitely one design where I prefer modern over classic. Like his look in the game ultimate alliance 2 is how I picture Luka cage, a figure hasbor has never done. They have done luka cage but their trash. And the one based of the show is decent.

I think this topic should be renamed to “modern versions of characters we want” 

But I’d say:

Blue Marvel 

Shang-Chi

Court Wizard Wiccan

Emperor Hulkling

Abigail Brand

Monet

Captain Marvel (Carol) re-do

Captain Marvel (Phyla-Vell)

Venom (Eddie) with the wings, sword and canon blaster based on Donny Cates and Stegman’s story

Scarlet Witch (Wada)

Loki (Agent of Asgard/King of Jotunheim)