Mjolnir Meets Its Match In Black Knight: Curse Of The Ebony Blade #3

JayC

Its not just cringeworthy, its a great example of the weak, amateurish writing they have these days. It doesn't even make sense. You have to be "unworthy" to get the powers?? What is that, 80-90% of the population? So, just about anybody can pick up the Ebony Sword and now have powers?

8 hours ago, Atlantis said:

Its not just cringeworthy, its a great example of the weak, amateurish writing they have these days. It doesn't even make sense. You have to be "unworthy" to get the powers?? What is that, 80-90% of the population? So, just about anybody can pick up the Ebony Sword and now have powers?

It also reminds me of Hickman's evil Avengers where the evil Thor had a Mjolnir with that inscription but it was actually used for better effect when Thor became Odinson

9 hours ago, sentinelofliberty41 said:

Thank you. Yes, this is pretty awful. I miss the days when Dane wasn't crazy and the ebony blade was a family heirloom he wielded for good to clear the name of the Black Knight.

Yeah, especially as in the only days Sir Percy had to deem you worthy of the blade, hence why Nate Garrett didn't have it

Didn't Marvel already have Moon Knight beat up Thor? Now it's Black Knight's turn? let's not forget that he's been replaced by a female mortal in the comics and now upcoming movie. And a B lister like Ms Marvel is now supposedly powerfuler than Thor as well now? The de- emasculation of Thor continues. Who's Marvel gonna have beat up Thor next? Howard the Duck!?

6 minutes ago, Gigantor said:

Didn't Marvel already have Moon Knight beat up Thor? Now it's Black Knight's turn? let's not forget that he's been replaced by a female mortal in the comics and now upcoming movie. And a B lister like Ms Marvel is now supposedly powerfuler than Thor as well now? The de- emasculation of Thor continues. Who's Marvel gonna have beat up Thor next? Howard the Duck!?

That's just comics 101. You wanna establish your character as a bad-ass? Have them throw-down with the biggest dog at the company . . . no matter how little sense the fight makes.

2 hours ago, mako said:

That's just comics 101. You wanna establish your character as a bad-ass? Have them throw-down with the biggest dog at the company . . . no matter how little sense the fight makes.

Problem is that both Knights have been around since the 60s & 70s. Why do today's "writers" feel the need to "establish" them as " bad ass" characters? They did that with MK about a decade ago when they turned him into a wannabe version of the Dark Knight. BK as much as I have always been a fan of Dane Whitman , is just a low B level high C level team character imo. Not popular enough to carry his own title, same as Ms  Marvel. Hyde beating the stuffing outta Dane in the classic " Siege of Avengers mansion " saga, is proof that he can't mess with the "big dogs" let alone an Alpha dog such as Thor. Bad writing once again for Marvel.

55 minutes ago, mako said:

Or, they've read TO MANY comics. In which case stories like this will come of as trite and cliche . . . which they are.

Which it already was by the time you were reading your favored era of comics, from what I can tell.  So what's your excuse for the cliches back then being excusable when they aren't now?  Beyond nostalgia-glasses?

But no, I guess we can never have a mismatched power-level conflict in comics ever again.  No stories about underdogs getting away with the unexpected, gotta have a strict hierarchy with no variance so that no powerful or popular character ever gets beaten by anyone weaker then them!  

In fact, if three quarters of the Avengers' roster (Certainly every single "human" or "barely superhuman" member) doesn't get brutally murdered instantly the next time they fight Thanos, it's poor writing.

4 hours ago, Jmacq1 said:

Which it already was by the time you were reading your favored era of comics, from what I can tell.  So what's your excuse for the cliches back then being excusable when they aren't now?  Beyond nostalgia-glasses?

But no, I guess we can never have a mismatched power-level conflict in comics ever again.  No stories about underdogs getting away with the unexpected, gotta have a strict hierarchy with no variance so that no powerful or popular character ever gets beaten by anyone weaker then them!  

In fact, if three quarters of the Avengers' roster (Certainly every single "human" or "barely superhuman" member) doesn't get brutally murdered instantly the next time they fight Thanos, it's poor writing.

We get it, you were born 20yrs ago and don't like the Classics.  I had zero problem with Marvel pitting their flagship character vs the Hulk or Namor. He's an A Lister & the main reason was to get readers into the Hulk & Namor who in the 60s & early 70s were not as popular as Spidey was. What's the excuse card to hype up WK/BK vs Thor? Upcoming app in the MCU is my guess. 

On 4/26/2021 at 7:41 PM, Gigantor said:

We get it, you were born 20yrs ago and don't like the Classics.  I had zero problem with Marvel pitting their flagship character vs the Hulk or Namor. He's an A Lister & the main reason was to get readers into the Hulk & Namor who in the 60s & early 70s were not as popular as Spidey was. What's the excuse card to hype up WK/BK vs Thor? Upcoming app in the MCU is my guess. 

LOL

I mean if you want to play the "old man" game, sure, we can do that.  I pretty much taught myself how to read on a big pile of late 70's/Early 80's back issues a neighbor gave to my parents around '82 or '83.  My favorite at the time was the Baron Blood/Union Jack arc from Byrne and Stern's brief run on Captain America.  I read pretty much all those same comics you and Mako wax nostalgic about growing up, probably about the same time you did, and many of them were great and entertaining stories for their time, but to pretend like they were any less cliched than what's getting published now is absolutely laughable.

12 hours ago, Gigantor said:

Main difference was they actually were written by writers back then that today's current batch of writers couldn't touch with a 10 ft pole in the talent dept. Same goes for most of what goes for "art" nowadays with a few exceptions. That Stern/Byrne run on Cap is probably my all time favorite Cap arc.

I mean there's something about opinions and certain orifices that goes here, but for my money,  just like any and every era of comics, the 80's were filled with some good stories/writers/artists, some bad stories/writers/artists, and a wide gulf of in-between that was serviceable but usually not particularly memorable.  

4 hours ago, Jmacq1 said:

I mean there's something about opinions and certain orifices that goes here, but for my money,  just like any and every era of comics, the 80's were filled with some good stories/writers/artists, some bad stories/writers/artists, and a wide gulf of in-between that was serviceable but usually not particularly memorable.  

Sure buddy, there were some stinkers in the 70s & 80s, not gonna deny that. But I'll take a Shooter/Perez & Austin/Byrne team over any combo of today's writer's/artists any day or the week and twice on Sunday!