Chinaka Hodge Comes On Board As Head Writer For Disney+ Ironheart Series

JayC

Variety is reporting that Chinaka Hodge has been tapped as the head writer for the upcoming Disney+ live-action Ironheart series which will star Dominique Thorne as Riri Williams. Hodge has worked on shows such as the Apple reboot “Amazing Stories,” and TNT “Snowpiercer” series. No word yet on when the Ironheart is slated to air on Disney+.

Ironheart.jpg

Personally I did/do like the concept of the character. Aside from the way they attempted to pretty much replace Tony Stark (as well as every other relevant character) in the Marvel Universe with the entire ANAD fiasco, I hated the way they had to make her "better" than Tony and push every built-in check mark to a nauseating degree. I promise, we got the point the first time. Most comic readers are actually pretty smart. Move on. Make good stories. Work on making a cool character. That said, I do hope this does well. I do think this character has potential and is one of the better characters to come out of the ANAD. Of course, Disney being Disney hires some no-name to mold and build up in it's own image. Asking anything to change is basically asking water not to be wet. Just make a good show. Put story and character development at the forefront and make us like her as much as you think we should and everything will be fine. Here's a hint, if you put as much effort into making us love her as you did in trying to make us hate John Walker, you're heading in the right direction.

4 hours ago, Faust said:

Personally I find it insulting that characters cynically created just 5 minutes ago and get no love from folk are getting their own show. 

In  a way, I'm honestly relieved. I'd rather they make a hundred series based on these throw-away social justice spawned characters, with all the attendant politicizing and counter-culture pontificating, than have them make one show based on a character I actually like, just to warp said character to push whatever agenda happens to be in vogue.

4 hours ago, Faust said:

Personally I find it insulting that characters cynically created just 5 minutes ago and get no love from folk are getting their own show. 

NO LOVE?? Maybe during Bendis’ run, when people thought she was replacing Iron Man when the actual person who was replacing him was Doctor Doom, and she was doing stuff with the Champions, and being mentored by AI Tony which was Tony all along. Plenty of people seemed to love her under Eve Ewing’s pen when she took over Iron Heart, and when she was writing Champions just recently, before she had to step away for personal reasons, and Danny Lore took over. 

23 minutes ago, nWoWolfpack said:

NO LOVE?? Maybe during Bendis’ run, when people thought she was replacing Iron Man when the actual person who was replacing him was Doctor Doom, and she was doing stuff with the Champions, and being mentored by AI Tony which was Tony all along. Plenty of people seemed to love her under Eve Ewing’s pen when she took over Iron Heart, and when she was writing Champions just recently, before she had to step away for personal reasons, and Danny Lore took over. 

I'm the local Iron Man nutjob and I can confirm. I hated Riri when she was first introduced and would even rant about her frequently. The second she was freed from Bendis' clutches, Jim Zub instantly and vastly improved her in his Champions run in a matter of a few issues and then Eve Ewing continued shaping Riri into a fantastic character in her own series. Now I 100% vouch for Riri.

5 minutes ago, slugzilla said:

Yay! More woke PC bs. I can't wait to see exactly how the evil white man is oppressing the character in this show...

🧢🧢🧢🧢

1 hour ago, slugzilla said:

Yay! More woke PC bs. I can't wait to see exactly how the evil white man is oppressing the character in this show...

Maybe if evil white men would stop oppressing black women, they wouldn't need to talk about it. Seems like this is a problem that solves itself if you just act like a decent human, instead of getting annoyed and offended by all those people asking for dignity and equality.

15 minutes ago, Benn said:

Maybe if evil white men would stop oppressing black women, they wouldn't need to talk about it. Seems like this is a problem that solves itself if you just act like a decent human, instead of getting annoyed and offended by all those people asking for dignity and equality.

There are a distressing number of comic fans who seem blissfully ignorant of the fact that they've grown up (relatively speaking) to be people that Steve Rogers would be a hell of a lot more likely to punch in the face than agree with.

And who are amazingly ignorant of how progressive and "woke" superhero comics in general have been for oh, I dunno...as far back as Superman taking on abusive husbands and slumlords when Action Comics was still in single-digits.   

1 hour ago, SUPREME007 said:

Really like the new snowpiercer series, and so if they worked on that they should a pretty solid writer.

Well, I'd like to be as optimistic as you, but if we've learned anything from the likes of Kathleen Kennedy, simply working with and learning from the best does not necessarily produce a similar result.

If anything it emboldened some people and gives them some false validation that they are somehow suddenly smarter and have a better message than everyone else.

Not to say this is the case here and not to say that I expect it to go that way, but I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the preach level on this show gets turnt up to 11.

6 hours ago, Benn said:

I don't have any interest in debating whether or not black women are being oppressed by evil white men.

My point is essentially that there are many forums for individual's and groups to advocate for their causes.

However, I don't feel like movies or big budget superhero tv shows are an appropriate place to advocate for these things.

Politics and social issues are in every form of media and are everywhere you look today. I simply believe that people should be able to escape the grim politics of the day in these shows and movies, rather than have these cringe worthy messages shoved in their faces all the time.

6 hours ago, Jmacq1 said:

There are a distressing number of comic fans who seem blissfully ignorant of the fact that they've grown up (relatively speaking) to be people that Steve Rogers would be a hell of a lot more likely to punch in the face than agree with.

And who are amazingly ignorant of how progressive and "woke" superhero comics in general have been for oh, I dunno...as far back as Superman taking on abusive husbands and slumlords when Action Comics was still in single-digits.   

I'm not even going to address the whole childish "Steve Rogers would punch conservatives" silliness.

Now as far as liberal ideas being in comic books is concerned, of course anyone who's ever read a comic book should know that they've always been there.

However, as the years have gone by, the liberal comic book companies have seemingly become more concerned about pushing their progressively more insane liberal ideas than actually making a profit.

The general population has rejected this emphatically, as proven by the ever declining sales of comic books. Even comic shop owners themselves have protested to the likes of Marvel over their pushing their liberal agenda over profits.

And while I don't think anyone would argue that Superman taking on abusive husband's and slum lords was a bad thing, the liberal ideas promoted in modern comics are far more extreme and, well.. progressive than ideas pushed in the past.

For example:

Wolverine and Cyclops are now apparently gay lovers in a throuple with Jean Grey.

I mean what in the actual BLEEP is that all about?!?!

1 hour ago, tarot said:

Okay this is getting ridicules. People please take your politics, for and against, out of these forums. This is not the place to be talking about it. Please do not argue about a show that has not even been properly written and turn it into whether the show will be, as some people call it, woke or not. If you want to argue about this, just go over to social media.

I'm not trying to argue with anyone about their political beliefs. I'm simply expressing my belief that one should be able to go to a movie or watch a tv show for the purpose of escaping everyday politics and the the horrors of the world, without being preached to by a character in the shows/movies with a political agenda, no matter where you may fall on the political spectrum.

Just the other day, the final episode of Falcon & The Winter Soldier was released and the character of the Falcon gave a what felt like a ten minute long impromptu speech about social injustice. If people want to see stuff like that, literally all they have to do is turn on literally any tv channel or visit any news site.

Why do the things we use to try to escape into a fantasy world have to constantly push political messages on the audience?

Politics are so toxic and intense these days and we are surrounded by these issues at all times, propaganda is injected into everything, why does this toxic crap need to be in our escapist fantasy superhero and space war related films and tv shows too?

It seems that those who make these shows and movies care more about promoting their political beliefs than they care about making a quality product. It's rather annoying if you ask me.

35 minutes ago, slugzilla said:

I'm not trying to argue with anyone about their political beliefs. I'm simply expressing my belief that one should be able to go to a movie or watch a tv show for the purpose of escaping everyday politics and the the horrors of the world, without being preached to by a character in the shows/movies with a political agenda, no matter where you may sit on the political spectrum.

Just the other day, the final episode of Falcon & The Winter Soldier was released and the character of the Falcon gave a what felt like a ten minute long impromptu speech about social injustice. If people want to see stuff like that, literally all they have to do is turn on the news.

Why can't we have movies and tv shows that are simply apolitical? The franchises that the fandom really cares about are the ones that suffer the most as of late, due in large part to the cringe worthy social justice messages that are inserted into everything, regardless of how it effects the overall quality of said media.

It seems that those who make these shows and movies care more about promoting their political beliefs than they care about making a quality product. It's rather annoying if you ask me.

Hate to break it to you, but bitching about creators' supposed political agendas is in fact political.

1 hour ago, slugzilla said:

What's really sad is the fact that you're apparently incapable of adding any thoughts of substance, or really anything to this discussion aside from childish insults.

I hear you about the progressive stuff being pushed in comics. It's sad to think that characters I used to enjoy are being used in ways I don't like. It's also sad to see them used as abusive ad hominem arguments against my political or moral positions.

But, Marvel can do what they want. If intellectual honesty is a virtue, they should allow alternative ideas to be fairly presented, especially those that stand the test of time and reason. They are making money and receiving positive publicity right now, and they would receive negative publicity if they did otherwise, so why bother.

With that said, there is little reason to hope that heated discussions on message boards will do anything but make your position the subject of ridicule. I feel like giving up most days, but the real solution is to demonstrate the superiority of your position by excellent living. If one seems irritable, his position will be suspect even if it is correct.

28 minutes ago, slugzilla said:

I see you had no response to my reply to you earlier. Wonder why? How very odd...

With regards to this post of yours, I will simply respond by saying that I don't believe any honest observer would suggest that creators don't have obvious political agendas that are usually heavily promoted in whatever material they are involved in the production of.

And expressing a desire for films and tv shows that appeal to both the left and the right is hardly what I would describe as "bitching".

I had no response to your reply earlier because a moderator told us to stop talking about politics in-between you posting it and me seeing it.  Unlike you, I actually tried to listen to him and not offer up bullshit logic as to why I should be allowed to keep arguing politics by claiming I'm not really arguing politics.