The Trial That Threatens To Divide Mutantkind

JayC

4 hours ago, Hogun said:

I prefer good guy Magneto

Same here...what more crimes does he need to pay...He is now part of the Krakoa Government, so who punishes him? Did he kill a human again? Does not really make sense to me.

I was enjoying the moment in Way Of X#1 where nightcrawler pulls a practical joke on him which backfired...what I'm really trying to say, this new story sucks! if he is found guilty he will gone in the X books like Sabretooth...Really liked Sabretooth and now he is just a flash back in comics

12 hours ago, Emnems80 said:

Do the previous trials count? The history is a little different during this current Moira McTaggart incarnation.

Eh? No, it isn’t. We saw parts of a bunch of Moira’s past lives during Powers of X, but (and I admit, I’m not 100% current on all titles right now, but pretty close) the very strong implication is that the entire Marvel universe has always been her tenth life. Nothing should be “different”, though there were things that apparently went on that we didn’t see until quite recently. Secret Wars, on the other hand... so who knows?

50 minutes ago, Benn said:

Eh? No, it isn’t. We saw parts of a bunch of Moira’s past lives during Powers of X, but (and I admit, I’m not 100% current on all titles right now, but pretty close) the very strong implication is that the entire Marvel universe has always been her tenth life. Nothing should be “different”, though there were things that apparently went on that we didn’t see until quite recently. Secret Wars, on the other hand... so who knows?

That's right. It was a while ago that I read the story. I was thinking the history changed as soon as Moira first introduced herself to a young Charles. Damn, my memory is not as a good in my old age lol.

From writer Leah Williams (X-Factor) and rising star artist Lucas Werneck (Empyre: X-Men) comes THE TRIAL OF MAGNETO, a new X-Men series launching in August. Spinning out of the stunning events of June’s Hellfire Gala, THE TRIAL OF MAGNETO will deal with the aftermath of a violent death that occurs on mutantkind’s big night.

A horrific murder. A horrifying revelation. A trial that will divide the new mutant nation.

This thrilling saga will threaten the Reign of X and upend the world of mutants. And with the very future of Krakoa hanging in the balance, mutantkind’s relationship with the rest of the Marvel Universe may never be the same. The current team of mutant investigators from Leah Williams’ acclaimed run on X-Factor will play a vital role in solving this complex mystery, and fans should pick up X-Factor #10, a Hellfire Gala tie-in and the final issue of the series, on June 30th to discover whose tragic fall leads into this new X-Men epic.

“When has Magneto ever allowed bureaucracy to get between himself and what’s just? In the island paradise of Krakoa, safe haven and home for mutants--Magneto’s hard-fought, greatest desire of seeing his people at peace and thriving has finally been achieved. But Magneto’s loyalty extends only as far as it is first earned, so after the Hellfire Gala, when he learns that even a paradise could still be filled with lies...the TRIAL OF MAGNETO will begin,” Williams teased.

"I am so looking forward to working with Leah, especially with this project,” Werneck said. “Leah has incredible sensitivity in her writing and is able to craft stories that are layered and mysterious and fun for readers so I think she is perfect to write this story. Participating in the Hellfire Gala and now being invited to be part of this project is really a dream."

The truth is hidden, the danger is far from over, and the trial has begun. Be there for the story that will shake Krakoa to its core when THE TRIAL OF MAGNETO #1 hits stands on August 18th! In the meantime, check out the classified cover by Valerio Schiti below and stay tuned for the final version which will reveal the character who meets their untimely end at the Hellfire Gala.

X-MEN: THE TRIAL OF MAGNETO #1 (OF 5)
Written by LEAH WILLIAMS
Art by LUCAS WERNECK
Cover by VALERIO SCHITI
On Sale 8/18!

Trial-Of-Magneto-01.jpg

14 hours ago, Hogun said:

Why can't they just keep Magneto a good guy?

8 hours ago, leokearon said:

Because there is always traditionalists who want him to be evil.

It's not just that. He was created to be a villain. His character history and development was as a villain. He works best as a villain. The problem is when a different writer comes along (new or old) and they like a character they start to try and change him/her to their idealism of what they want them to be. In Magneto's case, inevitably a writer comes along and wants him to be good, then either that writer realizes he doesn't work out quite as well as a good guy as he does a bad guy or a new creative team comes along that understands he's better as a bad guy and everything gets changed back. Magneto's a complicated character, and he's got ideals that align with both sides of the fence, but in the end he's all about using whatever tactics are necessary to get what he wants/needs and though he may not be all bad, it's the opposite of what's considered good.

He's at his best when he's a bad guy.

• 1 month later...
As the Hellfire Gala came to an end in today’s X-FACTOR #10, so did the life of one of Marvel’s most iconic heroes: the Scarlet Witch! This shocking murder will lead directly into THE TRIAL OF MAGNETO, a brand-new limited series launching in August written by X-Factor scribe Leah Williams with art by Lucas Werneck (Empyre: X-Men).

The very future of Krakoa is threatened as a trial begins that will divide the thriving mutant nation. In this pivotal moment in Jonathan Hickman’s era of X-Men, the ongoing tension between the Avengers and the X-Men will explode as Earth’s Mightiest Heroes arrive on Krakoa to seek justice for their fallen teammate. All eyes turn to Magneto, but Marvel fans know all too well that when it comes to Magneto and the Maximoff twins, nothing is ever as simple as it seems. Once thought to be father and daughter, Magneto and Scarlet Witch have a storied history that began in the earliest days of the X-Men. Now, their unpredictable saga gets a new chapter…

Check out superstar artist Mark Brooks’ hauntingly beautiful cover below and discover the truth behind the story that will shake Krakoa to its core when THE TRIAL OF MAGNETO #1 hits stands on August 18th.

X-MEN: THE TRIAL OF MAGNETO #1 (OF 5)
Written by LEAH WILLIAMS
Art by LUCAS WERNECK
Variant Cover by MARK BROOKS (JUN210557)
On Sale 8/18!

image002.jpg

On 6/30/2021 at 5:54 PM, ADour said:

I'm realling betting on the series having a "wait, turns out Wanda is a mutant and Magneto's daughter after all, so we can revive her" moment.

I don't follow the X-Books super closely but I believe they just had Magneto acknowledge her as his daughter again a week or two ago, so this seems pretty likely. Though I imagine her history with the Mutant race is going to make that a pretty tense affair. This is an exciting pitch for a story.