Another Look At The Marvel Legends Fantastic Four Retro Wave Human Torch

JayC

This is basically the same 3D render image Hasbro showed off a few weeks ago during their live-stream event only now with a white background as opposed to a black one. This image comes via Hasbro’s Dan Yun and it’s their upcoming Flame On Human Torch figure which should be part of the new Fantastic Four Retro Cardback wave being released later this year. Look for the other 3 members of the FF team to be released in the wave with this version of their costumes. There will be two other unknown figures also released in the Retro wave.

B9D704C8-7E78-4605-9211-773836163164.jpeg

1 minute ago, Psychosomatic said:

Really hope we get a great flame on version. Not translucent, head and body the same color red, orange shading, and the classic black lines/dashes.  This is the perfect time for it! 

Yesss. I would but that in a heartbeat. Would be my collections definitive Human Torch.

56 minutes ago, Psychosomatic said:

Really hope we get a great flame on version. Not translucent, head and body the same color red, orange shading, and the classic black lines/dashes.  This is the perfect time for it! 

Who knows, we got a cubic butt-load of "extra figures" in the Retro-Spidey wave, including an alternate Spidey. Maybe FF will get the same consideration . . . including that classic "Flame-On Version" Torch we're all hoping for.

Wouldn't hate a clear-variant Invisible Woman either.

7 hours ago, Psychosomatic said:

They just made that Human Torch in the 3 3/4" Retro wave. They just need to scale this guy up to the proper legends size and articulation and done.

spacer.png

6 hours ago, mako said:

Who knows, we got a cubic butt-load of "extra figures" in the Retro-Spidey wave, including an alternate Spidey. Maybe FF will get the same consideration . . . including that classic "Flame-On Version" Torch we're all hoping for.

Wouldn't hate a clear-variant Invisible Woman either.

That's what I'm expecting, and there's already a precedent for it based on the retro-carded Doom coming out a year in advance. But yeah, I'm expecting variants of both Johnny and Sue coming out after the main wave, as well as some more villains.

3 hours ago, Actionfiguremadman said:

These uniforms are from the 80’s era where She-Hulk replaced Ben Grimm. If would be nice if they gave us She-Hulk as the 4th member just to mix things up.

Well from the leaked listings, we know that Ben is in the wave.  I suppose it's possible that She-Hulk is the mystery "H" figure, but I kind of hope not.  I'd love to have her in the blue & white FF uniform, but I'd much rather have a villain right now.  FF villains are sorely lacking from the collection at the moment.

Pretty sure "H" is Hercules.  I know it's a stretch theme-wise (beyond having guest-starred/cameo'ed in a pretty major FF issue in that outfit, as well as the animated series) but too much adds up to dismiss the idea.

On the flipside, "P" may well be Psycho-Man.  So you might get a villain despite that.

11 minutes ago, MonsterChris said:

Well from the leaked listings, we know that Ben is in the wave.  I suppose it's possible that She-Hulk is the mystery "H" figure, but I kind of hope not.  I'd love to have her in the blue & white FF uniform, but I'd much rather have a villain right now.  FF villains are sorely lacking from the collection at the moment.

What they need to do is give us a flamed on Torch in that body mold. The Walgreens release was just way too big. I'd use that one for my Original Human Torch, blur out the face.

We also need to get a translucent/clear Invisible Woman. How on earth has this taken so long?? 

I'd say, again, that Hasbro has just been sleeping on the wealth of figures the Fantastic Four 'verse could bring to the Legends team. To your point on villains, Yes! Mole Man & his Moloids (troop builders, and lets not forget Skrull troop builders), Impossible Man, Molecule Man, Dragon Man, Annihilus, Blastarr, the Frightful Four, Karisma, Psycho Man, Air-Walker, Terrax, Puppet Master, Diablo, Salem's Seven...while technically not a "villain", throw in Thundra on that new She-Hulk mold, and right there you have over 20 figures that either need updates or have never been done. 

Finally, they need to remove the FF from whatever Walgreens "exclusive" deal they had. No point in making figures we can't get because they don't carry them anymore.

1 hour ago, Atlantis said:

What they need to do is give us a flamed on Torch in that body mold. The Walgreens release was just way too big. I'd use that one for my Original Human Torch, blur out the face.

We also need to get a translucent/clear Invisible Woman. How on earth has this taken so long?? 

I'd say, again, that Hasbro has just been sleeping on the wealth of figures the Fantastic Four 'verse could bring to the Legends team. To your point on villains, Yes! Mole Man & his Moloids (troop builders, and lets not forget Skrull troop builders), Impossible Man, Molecule Man, Dragon Man, Annihilus, Blastarr, the Frightful Four, Karisma, Psycho Man, Air-Walker, Terrax, Puppet Master, Diablo, Salem's Seven...while technically not a "villain", throw in Thundra on that new She-Hulk mold, and right there you have over 20 figures that either need updates or have never been done. 

Finally, they need to remove the FF from whatever Walgreens "exclusive" deal they had. No point in making figures we can't get because they don't carry them anymore.

Agreed! I am really hoping to see Annihilus and yes, I absolutely positively want a new Thundra on the new She-Hulk body, with softer hair, a better looking face and fists!!

I may be in the minority on this one, but I'd love to see Crystal finally get a figure and she'd fit in nicely in a FF retro wave.  I know Marvel is pretending the Inhumans don't exist after they tried to ram them down our throats in an attempt to have them become the next X-Men, but prior to that mess, I really loved the Inhumans, and I want more than just Black Bolt and Medusa in my collection.  All of this said, I'm 99.9% sure Crystal won't be one of the figures in this wave.  But, a guy can dream...

24 minutes ago, Shadowcat said:

I may be in the minority on this one, but I'd love to see Crystal finally get a figure and she'd fit in nicely in a FF retro wave.  I know Marvel is pretending the Inhumans don't exist after they tried to ram them down our throats in an attempt to have them become the next X-Men, but prior to that mess, I really loved the Inhumans, and I want more than just Black Bolt and Medusa in my collection.  All of this said, I'm 99.9% sure Crystal won't be one of the figures in this wave.  But, a guy can dream...

If you're in the minority, I'm there with you. I would love to get some Inhumans figures, although I think both Black Bolt and Medusa need to be redone. And while Crystal might not be in the main six-figure wave, I think a lot of us are expecting additional retro-carded figures to trickle out after the wave like they did with the retro Spider-Man figures. 

51 minutes ago, RyanDaly said:

If you're in the minority, I'm there with you. I would love to get some Inhumans figures, although I think both Black Bolt and Medusa need to be redone. And while Crystal might not be in the main six-figure wave, I think a lot of us are expecting additional retro-carded figures to trickle out after the wave like they did with the retro Spider-Man figures. 

Personally, I'd love more Inhumans figures . . . starting with Crystal. Unfortunately, I also have to agree that as far as the Inhumans are concerned, Marvel has done a masterful job of tossing the baby out with the bath-water. Still, there was a time we weren't sure we'd ever see any X-Men or Fantastic Four figures in the line either.

Anything can happen.

Crystal is one of those figures that I remain just flat-out gobsmacked hasn't been made yet.  She would be a very easy figure to do.  Though ironically one that probably would have benefitted from the Walgreen's Exclusive model where she could have been packed with a bunch of elemental FX pieces and maybe an alternate short-haired head.

The only thing I can figure is that they're either holding out on her until they need a "cheap" figure to fill out an Avengers or FF wave, or they're gonna pack her with Lockjaw in a Deluxe Format.

Though she's one I could definitely see filling out say, the first wave of MCU Fantastic Four figures.

Medusa is just plain hard to get right.  I like aspects of both her figures so far but her hair is a blessing and a curse because I don't think you could ever get it to look right if you say, made it bendy-wire tentacles, but it also doesn't feel right when it's a sculpted brick of plastic.  I almost think the only way to really pull her off would be to make her a Deluxe with several heads of different hair action:  One a stand she could rest on, one reaching out with graspy bits you could clip on other figures wrists/ankles/waist, another long and straight but not quite touching the floor, etc....

But if I'm honest outside of Black Bolt, Medusa, and Crystal and maybe Lockjaw and Maximus I don't really give a hoot about the Inhumans.  Maaaaybe at a stretch Karnak but that's about it.  I'd probably prefer comic-based Eternals to the rest of the Inhuman Royal Family.

1 hour ago, Jmacq1 said:

Medusa is just plain hard to get right.  I like aspects of both her figures so far but her hair is a blessing and a curse because I don't think you could ever get it to look right if you say, made it bendy-wire tentacles, but it also doesn't feel right when it's a sculpted brick of plastic.  I almost think the only way to really pull her off would be to make her a Deluxe with several heads of different hair action:  One a stand she could rest on, one reaching out with graspy bits you could clip on other figures wrists/ankles/waist, another long and straight but not quite touching the floor, etc....

That would be the ideal method, a deluxe with multiple hair head options. Unfortunately, I think they're more likely to just pick one and hope it satisfies people, similar to what they did with Reed Richards, giving him long, bendable arms. Uhh... that's not the only thing he can do, but Hasbro's like we're not giving him all interchangeable bendy-wire limbs! I wish they would, but I feel like we'll have to settle for a half-measure. As you said, the nature of their power makes it almost impossible for the toy to be comprehensive. Same with Kamala Khan. 

I don't know who was in charge of that thing, but that movie/series took a mighty deuce all over the MCU. I understand it was more based in the ABC Marvel Universe, but it left a baaaaad taste in everyone's mouth. While I didn't like the way Disney......errrrr.....I mean Marvel tried to use the Inhumans to usurp the X-Men oven their petty (billion dollar) squabbles with Fox, I still do like some inhuman characters. They'll in no way ever be as dynamic and exciting as the X-Men, but they were solid support characters and another different, if a bit silly, way of introducing and explaining super powers in the world. I'm not opposed to seeing another attempt to put them in the MCU, but expecting them to carry their own franchise seems like an exercise in futility.

Marvel Legends wise, they are looooong overdue. We know they've touched on Blackbolt and Medusa on multiple occasions, but Karnak and Crystal and Triton and Gorgon all deserve some love. Hasbro, you want a BAF that will push a wave, get that Lockjaw on deck.