Another Look At The Marvel Legends Fantastic Four Retro Wave Human Torch

JayC

14 minutes ago, RyanDaly said:

Wasn't that Ike Perlmutter's thing?

Nope. Loeb was in charge of Marvel Tv at the time and hated Feige. He basically sold all rights he could so Feige couldn't use them.

Also Ike Perlmutter was the man who brought Marvel out of bankruptcy. He did that by selling the movie rights but he was an extreme rascist / sexist person. When Disney took over, Feige wanted to do more with the universe and got Perlmutter and Loeb to leave.

3 minutes ago, tarot said:

Nope. Loeb was in charge of Marvel Tv at the time and hated Feige. He basically sold all rights he could so Feige couldn't use them.

Also Ike Perlmutter was the man who brought Marvel out of bankruptcy. He did that by selling the movie rights but he was an extreme rascist / sexist person. When Disney took over, Feige wanted to do more with the universe and got Perlmutter and Loeb to leave.

But word of mouth is that Inhumans was a pet project of Perlumtter. This is why the movie was dropped from Marvel Studios' slate a few months after they were placed directly under Walt Disney Studios' control and away from Perlmutter's supervision. Marvel Television still reported to Perlmutter, so that's why the Inhumans were made into a show.

1 hour ago, GrtWhiteCustoms said:

Im just the opposite...I love the Inhumans and want to see more of them...Crystal Gorgon Triton and Karnak from the Royal family as well as Maximus. 

For more FF villans I'd love to see Attuma included! 

Once again, foolishness from the Hasbro team. Leaving money on the table!! Do an Inhumans wave including Maximus (and Lockjaw as the BAF), or  box set of the Royal Family + Lockjaw and put that jank on Hasbro Pulse (but in enough quantities that it doesnt sell out in 2 minutes please and thank you). I was content with not doing Black Bolt and Medusa because they've already been done, but both could do with an update. And none of this "updated" armor/hoodie/tattoo/90s streetwear nonsense. Get off my lawn.

So very odd that they did Bolt, Medusa, Triton AND Karnak in 3.75" form but never Triton, Karnak or Gorgon in 6".

We know Hasbro can do accurate articulated animals from the Dungeons & Dragons 2 pack, so there's Lockjaw.

Triton, I'm surprised they haven't put him out using the Black Knight/Green Goblin scaled body yet. 

The last Medusa was fine from the neck down. Its that hair they keep messing up. It cant be some static blob of plastic. Use that saran fiber hair instead. Maybe alternate heads?

Black Bolt, I liked the alt head they used in the Panther wave. Maybe just make a bigger mold and go from there.

Gorgon, just modify the Hercules from the Thanos BAF. Modify the legs from the Lizard BAF and add the hooves. 

Karnak, easy to say use the pizza spidey mold, but maybe the Sunfire buck would be better suited.   Alternate hands with metallic green paint on the armbands/cestus and good to go.

8 hours ago, MonsterChris said:

FF villains are sorely lacking from the collection at the moment.

Wouldn't mind Hasbro taking another pass at Mole Man. What we really need, though, are a few more relatively obscure baddies, like Blastarr or El Diablo.

Of course, if the FF-themed HasScam project DOES turn out to be Galactus, we can probably expect the PTBs to sneak one or two of his heralds into the wave.

With how much damage the Inhumans tv show did, it's unlikely they'll be making that wave any time soon.  It's also just not a very popular franchise.  Yes, I'm tired of seeing the same figures over and over again, whether they're new (or old) variations or not.  But I also know I wouldn't put a dime into an Inhumans wave.  And I buy pretty much every ML figure possible as soon as pre-order is available.

Okay, the retro-carded Spider-Man sub-line had six characters in the main wave (Spider-Man, Peter Parker, Daredevil, Gwen Stacy, Green Goblin, and Electro), plus six additional figures released as exclusives later on (Mysterio, Kingpin, Black Cat, J. Jonah Jamison, Web-Man, and Cyborg Spider-Man). 

Let's speculate/wishlist a similar rollout for the retro-carded Fantastic Four. We know the wave has six figures, and we know that four of them are the core Reed, Sue, Johnny, and Ben. Plus two more characters that probably start with "P" and "H" respectively. We've already got a retro-carded Doctor Doom, so let's say there are five more exclusives out there. Build the line; who do you got???

Wave

1. Johnny Storm (Human Torch) -- flamed off; already seen
  2. Reed Richards (Mr. Fantastic) -- same blue and white uniform as Johnny
  3. Sue Storm (Invisible Woman) -- same blue and white; interchangeable translucent hand/arms like the Walgreens version, maybe a force field too
  4. Ben Grimm (The Thing) -- after seeing the cover to the 60th anniversary comic, I'm thinking this version of the Thing will have pants and an alternate head with the helmet/mask from after his face was damaged by Wolverine in the DeFalco/Ryan run
  5. Puppet Master -- while I would love to get Psycho-Man, Puppet Master seems like an easier/cheaper build for the designers
  6. Herald/Nova (Frankie Raye) -- I don't think the "H" is for Hercules (though I don't mind being wrong since I'm getting that Herc either way). Since the Johnny in this wave is flamed down, I think we'll get the flamed on version of his one-time girlfriend Frankie, aka Nova. I think her name might be something different on the package to avoid confusion with the Walgreens cosmic Richard Rider Nova.

Exclusives

1. Doctor Doom -- already out
  2. Invisible Woman -- fully translucent version
  3. Human Torch -- flamed on; red with black lines, flame effects
  4. She-Hulk -- FF costume
  5. Super-Skrull -- repaint of the recent BAF, brighter color scheme
  6. Mole Man - this is one of my five most desired villains, so c'mon, Hasbro!

Who's on your list?

17 minutes ago, Virtualzach said:

With how much damage the Inhumans tv show did, it's unlikely they'll be making that wave any time soon.  It's also just not a very popular franchise.  Yes, I'm tired of seeing the same figures over and over again, whether they're new (or old) variations or not.  But I also know I wouldn't put a dime into an Inhumans wave.  And I buy pretty much every ML figure possible as soon as pre-order is available.

I don't think we'll ever get an Inhumans wave, but just because the show sucked I don't think that will turn off collectors of the comic Inhumans. If Triton shows up in a random Avengers or Fantastic Four wave, nobody's going to say, "Man, that ABC show sucked! No way I'm buying him just to get the Blastaar BAF leg!!!" Now, they might skip him because they don't care about Triton, but not because of the show, which, honestly, by now haven't most people already forgotten?

1 hour ago, RyanDaly said:

I don't think we'll ever get an Inhumans wave, but just because the show sucked I don't think that will turn off collectors of the comic Inhumans. If Triton shows up in a random Avengers or Fantastic Four wave, nobody's going to say, "Man, that ABC show sucked! No way I'm buying him just to get the Blastaar BAF leg!!!" Now, they might skip him because they don't care about Triton, but not because of the show, which, honestly, by now haven't most people already forgotten?

maybe not and given the design of the show, most people wouldnt associate the two.

However, it's all about marketing. While we all would snap up anything F4 comic related (within reason of course), Hasbro has to balance things out for old/new collectors and those getting into the line after watching show or movies. Like I always say when we see the first wave of a new franchise (ie. GOTG, Ant-man, Shang-Chi, Eternal), hasbro has always played it safe in case the movie fails. I know the chances are low, given that even thor dark world and iron man 3 made over a couple of millions, but if something is not well received, would you make toys for it?

I'd certainly love to see some Inhumans figures. I already have like 3 or 4 different Black Bolts, so I'm set there. I have a Medusa that I'm happy with. I bought the Mezco Lockjaw which is amazing. So I don't necessarily need those 3 again but I'd love to see Karnak and Triton in particular....  they seem well overdue. Crystal, Gorgon and Maximus are lesser wants, but I'd still like to get them.

I've got an old 6" Frankie Raye Supernova from an old pre-Legends 6" Silver Surfer with minimal articulation that is fine but still I'd love to get a Legends version.  

They did a pretty good job with Blastaar for a SDCC multi-pack a few years ago. It's been long enough that I could see them releasing a repaint of that. I could see them doing an update to Ronan as well, although I thought the BAF was fine. I'm pretty happy with my Dragon Man, but it might be interesting to see what Hasbro could do with it. How about an update on Impossible Man? Maybe packed with a another figure?

The previous Mole Man we got was fine in my opinion (if not a little plain), but I'd buy another if it came with a huge Giganto Mole Monster and some Moloids! That might make a fantastic HasLab offering!

The Wizard and Puppet Master (with mini puppets of the F4) would both be kind of cool to have.

Would a 2-pack with teenage Franklin and Valeria be too much to ask? I've got the kid Franklin with the 4 1/2 on his shirt but that feels kind of outdated at this point.

Regardless, there's so much good stuff that they could do...

• 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, RyanDaly said:

Interesting if true. I wonder if they want to reuse some Colossus arms and legs for High Evolutionary. 

I could certainly see them re-using a fair amount of parts for High Evolutionary (if he's actually coming) arms maybe from Colossus and the skirt piece from Baron Zemo/Black Knight, or if they make him smaller the arm from deathlok (doubled) , he seems like a figure they could kitbash together, which makes it seem kinda likely a choice for being released, since Psycho Man will probably need a full new tooling (if we are getting him).

1 minute ago, RyanDaly said:

Good point, I forgot about Deathlock. High Evo is kind of weird to guess what scale they'll go with since at times he's been depicted as big as Galactus and other times smaller than Thor. I guess if he's single carded retro we can guess Colossus limbs/size at the maximum.

Yeah exactly he's pretty all over the place in size, I do kinda have a feeling if we do get him he'd be on the smaller scale, I think they'd go with a smaller stature for him,