Another Look At The Marvel Legends Fantastic Four Retro Wave Human Torch

JayC

1 hour ago, LordVenger said:

Do you not like the namor we got in the okoye wave?

9FD6842B-2CC2-400A-B89B-50C7F8041425.jpeg

Agreeing with what others have said. I love this version of Namor; he was one of the first five Marvel Legends I got. I just wish his hair was a little bit more distinctive, that it had a bit more of the Silver or Bronze Age flavor instead of the bearded alt head it came with. But I'm also pissed off about the hair sculpting for Quicksilver, Nightcrawler... even this brand new Johnny Storm that we've only seen the render of for the FF retro wave. I don't like the spiky hair look for him. Looks too modern. Give him the wavy '70s or '80s do.

21 minutes ago, Atlantis said:

Black Bolt and Medusa have already been done. Unless they want to put 'Bolt on bigger buck, not sure what else they'd do for him.

Medusa also had a great figure, its her hair that has the problem. Using some kind of rayon/saran material will fix that.

That's the thing, though, I think both Black Bolt and Medusa need to be redone whenever we get more Inhumans. Put BB on a bigger, more imposing buck. Paint him actual black, not that blue-grey thing. And those underarm wings... frankly I don't know what to do with them, but they looked bad.

7 minutes ago, RyanDaly said:

"... even this brand new Johnny Storm that we've only seen the render of for the FF retro wave. I don't like the spiky hair look for him. Looks too modern. Give him the wavy '70s or '80s do".

Yeah spiky hair dont cut it. Probably the only "flamed off" version of Johnny I would want would be his retro red/yellow outfit he wore briefly in the 70s, as an homage to the original Human Torch. I'd love to see that one.

httb.jpg

9 hours ago, RyanDaly said:

That's the thing, though, I think both Black Bolt and Medusa need to be redone whenever we get more Inhumans. Put BB on a bigger, more imposing buck. Paint him actual black, not that blue-grey thing. And those underarm wings... frankly I don't know what to do with them, but they looked bad.

A number of people found Black Bolt's wing panels problematic, but they're part of his iconic outfit and any true figure has to have them. Its really hard to make those kinds of things work, from wrist to waist...soft goods, wired soft goods, plastic? For Morbius they just slapped a single piece on his back, and if you pose the arms just right, it kinda sorta looks like the comic. The Falcon got a break when they made his wings longer; the latest figure really makes them work. I imagine for Banshee they'll just loop his soft goods panels over the wrist and ankle. I hope we'll see Namor's water wings when/if they do his 70s costume.

I can deal with Black Bolt's wings for right now. 

37 minutes ago, LordVenger said:

Apologies. I thought you were referring to the newest namor fig. 

No worries. I think it wouldve been cool to give him a late 60s comic head, and they did a good job on his Trident but it has that "butterscotch" paint instead of metallic yellow/gold/brass, which would be better.

30 minutes ago, Atlantis said:

No worries. I think it wouldve been cool to give him a late 60s comic head, and they did a good job on his Trident but it has that "butterscotch" paint instead of metallic yellow/gold/brass, which would be better.

I agree. That’s why mine isn’t holding his trident. Just doesn’t look good to my eye. 

4 hours ago, Atlantis said:

Yeah spiky hair dont cut it. Probably the only "flamed off" version of Johnny I would want would be his retro red/yellow outfit he wore briefly in the 70s, as an homage to the original Human Torch. I'd love to see that one.

httb.jpg

Yeah surprised they haven't done Combat Red Johnny yet.

7 hours ago, Atlantis said:

Yes. Read @RyanDaly's response.

Then why not ask for a new/better head that's made especially for Cal instead of reusing an old head that most people hated? lol You'd get just as many people (maybe even more) hating on that figure for the reuse head (of questionable quality) on top of the reuse buck.

Anyways, the soft goods cape on the "Jim Lee" Storm was weak. If the cape has folds out of the box, then you're ****ed coz that's there forever.

Don't even get me started on the little flimsy yarn they used to tie around her wrists. The whole thing looks like you can break it if you look at it wrong. Why not go for a similar metal ring that they used on the Storm from the Jubilee Wave?

Do better for Banshee, Hasbro.

storm.jpeg

6 hours ago, enzosaurusrex said:

Then why not ask for a new/better head that's made especially for Cal instead of reusing an old head that most people hated? lol You'd get just as many people (maybe even more) hating on that figure for the reuse head (of questionable quality) on top of the reuse buck.

Because asking for a head specifically made for Calisto is more expensive, and less reasonable, than Hasbro using a head that they already have.

Some people may not have liked the Phoenix head, but its a whole lot closer to Calisto's comic look than the one Hasbro's showing us now. Narrow, pinched face. Like RyanDaly said, Patti Smith. Maybe there's one even closer, I don't know.

And given their preferred practice of re-using (which does make good economic sense when warranted), its baffling that in this case they went in another direction.

In regards to Banshee....the original figure had the wings and they seemed to be good. Materials were a lot thicker than the Storm cape anyway. 

As for CALISTO...Im in agreement on her look...but we are getting a figure I never thought we'd see. I'm happy for that. Could it be better??....sure...but the reuse of parts makes sense.

Ive seen the picture the figure seems to be based on and it seems spot on. Yes I would have preferred the original "thin punk rock" look...but hey....Ill take what characters I can get. 

Still bitter she's in a 5 pack though. 

Just now, Atlantis said:

Is that not a swift kick in the cojones or what. From "the jungle" to retro card to this fake out. I bet the hasbro guys are laughing their asses off.

Wait, wait, wait... did anybody at Hasbro actually mislead or lie, or did people jump to conclusions based on speculation, and then got pissed when their conclusion turned out wrong? Who from Hasbro ever said these were going to be part of a retro card wave? Who from Hasbro said the "jungle"/Amazon box set was Excalibur? 

16 minutes ago, RyanDaly said:

Wait, wait, wait... did anybody at Hasbro actually mislead or lie, or did people jump to conclusions based on speculation, and then got pissed when their conclusion turned out wrong? Who from Hasbro ever said these were going to be part of a retro card wave? Who from Hasbro said the "jungle"/Amazon box set was Excalibur? 

Nope, I'm just kidding at poking fun at us here on the forum, not blaming them.

But I do think if any of them had followed the speculation here, they'd be laughing at the final confirmed result. 

• 3 weeks later...
According to Hasbro, July is shaping up to be another big month for Marvel Legends reveals . July of course is the month we normally have San Diego Comic Con which this year once again will be held virtually. It's unknown if Hasbro will be doing anything special for SDCC this year or perhaps will hold another big Hasbro-Pulse event later on in the year. Either way it is looking very much like July will be the month for Fantastic Four reveals. We expect Hasbro will get around to officially announcing their Fantastic Four themed Haslab project. Our money is still on that being a new Galactus figure, however that is totally a guess at this point.

We also expect to get the full reveal for Hasbro's new Marvel Legends Fantastic Four Retro Cardback wave. Hasbro previously teased a new Johnny Storm/Human Torch figure coming in his navy blue classic outfit, and indications are that we will also get the other FF team members in those outfits as well. So that leaves two more Fantastic Four themed figures for the 6-figure Retro wave which will NOT have a Build-A-Figure. The folks at Fwoosh has posted this list for the wave:

Fantastic Four – November 2021
F0171 – Assortment UPC: 5010993842780
Retro Carded – No BaF
• F3018 – Reed Richards (Mr. Fantastic) – 5010993842605
• F0350 – Sue Storm (Invisible Woman) – 5010993842551
• F0351 – Johnny Storm (Human Torch) – 5010993842544
• F0352 – Ben Grimm (The Thing) – 5010993842520
• F0353 – Hxxxxxxxxx – 5010993842537
• F0354 – Pxxxxxxxxx – 5010993842599

Here we can see they are hinting one of the final two figures has a name starting with a H and the other a P. In May the folks at Marvel Legends México Oficial went further to report that the final two figures will be of High Evolutionary and Psycho-Man.

Fantastic Four – November 2021
F0171 – Assortment UPC: 5010993842780
Retro Carded – No BaF
• F3018 – Reed Richards (Mr. Fantastic) – 5010993842605
• F0350 – Sue Storm (Invisible Woman) – 5010993842551
• F0351 – Johnny Storm (Human Torch) – 5010993842544
• F0352 – Ben Grimm (The Thing) – 5010993842520
• F0353 – High Evolutionary – 5010993842537
• F0354 – Psycho-Man– 5010993842599

Now of course none of these have been officially confirmed by Hasbro, so we should continue to treat this entire list as rumor until Hasbro officially reveals them next month, but I have been doing some additional checking of my own and will say I wouldn't be reporting this to you if I didn't have a strong degree of confidence in the legitimacy of this list.

The coolest thing about these final two figures is that neither has ever been done as a 6" Marvel Legends figure before so it's nice to see (assuming this list is accurate) that Hasbro is giving us brand new characters in the line. High Evolutionary has the added bonus of not only fitting well on your Fantastic Four shelf, but also on your X-Men and Avengers shelves.

It's been a pretty crazy year so far with all the Marvel Legends figures Hasbro has in the pipeline, and from all indications they aren't planning on slowing down anytime soon. I am starting to see indications that 2022 could be even bigger year than 2021.

Fantastic-Four-Retro-Wave.jpg

While this is technically still RUMOR until its officially revealed next month, Fwoosh was obviously hinting at it for awhile. That Mexico group reported it back in May, and I have now seen enough indications from places I know and trust to feel confident in reporting this news on the main site. Doesn't mean it's 100% but probably as close to it until images surface or Hasbro officially confirms it.

On 6/29/2021 at 12:34 PM, leokearon said:

Again I would have preferred the four not dominating the wave again. Sadly while new characters, I don't care for either Psycho-Man or High Evolutionary, so not much for me to get excited over 

I've always thought High Evolutionary was a cool character so glad to finally be able to add him to the collection. Psycho-Man I am less excited for but a pretty cool obscure villain so I can't complain.

On 6/29/2021 at 5:39 PM, JayC said:

I've always thought High Evolutionary was a cool character so glad to finally be able to add him to the collection. Psycho-Man I am less excited for but a pretty cool obscure villain so I can't complain.

High Evolutionary used to be okay, but recently he's just another McGuffin character.  Psycho-Man never interested me.