Another Look At The Marvel Legends Fantastic Four Retro Wave Human Torch

JayC

As far as I'm concerned, it's the "Big 5" Marvel 'toons of the 90s, THEN the comics. For that reason, I'm only to happy to finally be getting the F4 in their Blue-'n-Whites. I figure High Evolutionary has had his finger in enough Marvel pies, including a few appearances in the aforementioned Marvel 'toons, to earn him a place on just about everybody's list. Outside of a really cool story during Byrne's run, Psycho-Man really doesn't place that high on my list, but he WAS in the 90s line, so bring 'im on.

If it's a righteous list, I'm happy.

If this is true, it means I can skip the whole wave. I’m happy with the Walgreens F4 and I have no interest at all in Psycho-Man or High Evolutionary. Not that I’m complaining, I already have a ton of stuff on pre-order, but I do hope at some point we see Bag-Man and a classic She-Hulk as part of the F4 retro line. I’m curious to see what else July has in store for us.

On 6/29/2021 at 8:34 AM, leokearon said:

Again I would have preferred the four not dominating the wave again. Sadly while new characters, I don't care for either Psycho-Man or High Evolutionary, so not much for me to get excited over 

I see where you're coming from, and as I've posted many times before, the Fantastic Four is a group that has so much in its own "'verse" that they could easily do a FF wave without the four core members.  We only have the one picture of the flamed-off Torch in his Negative Zone outfit, so we don't know if the other three will follow suit (no pun intended) or might have some variants. I hope we'll get a clear translucent Invisible Woman but I'm thinking they're leaning to her Negative Zone outfit as well. But they could do a 6 figure wave with just two of the FF and four other figures (allies/foes) and it would be just great.

Hoping when the Haslab Galactus is revealed that the tiers include really great characters that we aren't seeing here.  As busy as I have been spending money on figures, I am happy to say I don't need any of these.  Sandman, Red Skull, Dormammu, Lady Deathstrike, Wolverine boxed set, AOA Wave 2, Excalibur Boxed set, Haslab Galactus... I need a break!

If true, this is great news for the High Evolutionary, been wanting him since the Evolutionary War storyline that ran through those Marvel annuals back in the late 80s..hope it’s his classic look.

as far as the Psycho Man,... eh.. kinda cool but not looking for him.

the FF uniforms though.. not sure if this is another STORM “is her suit White, Black or Silver” but I swear the comics had them much darker shades.. or is this my mind assuming they are darker than the Torch prototype is showing? I know they were very light in the cartoon, maybe a compromise between comic and toon?

EDIT: looking at these pics all together the Legends looks pretty spot on for the Negative Zone suits.. seems this WILL be my last FF I’ll need to buy

On 6/29/2021 at 2:35 PM, McHogan said:

the FF uniforms though.. not sure if this is another STORM “is her suit White, Black or Silver” but I swear the comics had them much darker shades.. or is this my mind assuming they are darker than the Torch prototype is showing? I know they were very light in the cartoon, maybe a compromise between comic and toon?

I believe that John Byrne's intention was for the costume to be black and white, with blue serving as a color highlight/accent for the black (like how Batman is often depicted). As time passed, however, colorists started putting more and more blue into the costume until there was more blue than black. Once Byrne was off the book and artists like Walt Simonson and Paul Ryan were taking over, it was pretty clear that the costumes were now meant to be blue with white. That's how the cartoon and toys approached them, and I think that's the better look.

On 6/29/2021 at 3:59 PM, RyanDaly said:

I believe that John Byrne's intention was for the costume to be black and white, with blue serving as a color highlight/accent for the black (like how Batman is often depicted). As time passed, however, colorists started putting more and more blue into the costume until there was more blue than black. Once Byrne was off the book and artists like Walt Simonson and Paul Ryan were taking over, it was pretty clear that the costumes were now meant to be blue with white. That's how the cartoon and toys approached them, and I think that's the better look.

This is my thought as well.. I know in my mind they were black and white. Or at least a very deep blue. 

I don’t mind them being lighter than black, as nearly every iteration of the Negative Zone FF has been close to what we’ve seen with the Johnny reveal..

the cartoon shade is ok but a little light for my tastes 

The darker look is what Byrne intended;  as a result of the unstable molecules of their uniforms reacting with Annihilus's machine exploding, just as he was trying to trap/kill them in the Negative Zone. Because he's a rat bastard. And a new BAF is way overdue. And I want it now. 

"At that precise instant a thunderclap rips thru the Baxter Building...the Fantastic Four are Home!

Then Sue says, "Our costumes! They've changed...as if they've become....Negative?"

I get almost choked up, re-reading those powerful, emotion-filled words....

I prefer the darker look but again, this is just another outfit they can use for Legends. Original Negative Zone outfits, Variant Blue. 

Thus, the bounty that is the Fantastic Four continues....ever onward....

On 6/29/2021 at 3:14 PM, McHogan said:

the cartoon shade is ok but a little light for my tastes 

On 6/29/2021 at 3:32 PM, Atlantis said:

I prefer the darker look but again, this is just another outfit they can use for Legends. Original Negative Zone outfits, Variant Blue. 

To me, blue is the signature color of the Fantastic Four. I get what Byrne was intending, and I can see the value of those Negative colors for a time, just like I understood the white Future Foundation costumes during the Hickman run (I won't speak of the red costumes that came after). But to me, if the FF doesn't have a predominantly blue costume, then it's just a variant or specialty suit. 

On 6/29/2021 at 4:48 PM, RyanDaly said:

Hell, with how good Ursa Major looks, I have confidence that we can get Red Ghost with his super-apes!

I would take any Marvel Animal: Super - Apes, Zabu, for sample, plus other characters like Ursa Major that can double as animals. Be fun to recreate the scene from the original Wolverine limited series where he fights a bear.

then obviously any character that transforms into a creature like ... WEREWOLF by Night..Hasbro has gotten impressive with their animals like Timber, Ursa and the Panther from that D& D set..

The suits were definitely intended to be black. In the issue where Jean Grey comes back after having been cocooned and replaced by the Phoenix Force, she initially thinks Reed is an impostor since the Fantastic Four she remembers didn't wear black. 

ab2e50a7d377eee18badee10d5b914e7.jpg

The coloring issue is confused because thanks to the limited palette options available in older comics, black outfits and hair were often given blue highlights to to try and add depth (this is why many people refer to Superman as having blue hair in early comics.)

superman-ftr1-1024x640.jpg

The most famous example of this is probably Marvel's own Beast, as he was clearly stated to have black fur near the end of his short-lived solo feature, but the highlights added caused subsequent creative teams to mistakenly think it was blue, and thus, history was made. 

amazing-adventures-15-2.jpg?q=50&fit=cro

As for the Legends toys, I'm fine with the color choice. I'd have preferred black, but deep blue is a nicer comprise. I absolutely hate the robin's egg shade of blue they used in the first season of the TV show and the recent 3.75" Sue Storm.

On 6/29/2021 at 4:12 PM, watanabefan said:

The suits were definitely intended to be black.

Disagree. Over the years, we saw many "black" suits in comics, and they just didn't look like that.

Going all way, nearly to the very beginning, the FF suits have always been blue, that was no question (Future Foundation not withstanding) the only differences were the colors of detailing (white, black, etc. collars, boots, and belts) and of course shade.

That being said, this is like the correct pronunciation of Ra's al Ghul, everyone is gonna have their own stand on it.

On 6/29/2021 at 12:33 PM, SpiderS said:

We absolutely need these characters along with Diablo and Molecule man and few others, especially if they done as good as recent villain figures like Kang, Doom, Thanos and Red Skull. 

These people are utter fools, to not see all the action figure goodness that comes from the Fantastic Four. 

I can take that same Torch there and put him in the red and yellow outfit he briefly wore 2. Add translucent Invisible Woman  3.Diablo  4.Impossible Man 5. Nova (Frankie) 6.Gorgon

Watcher as BAF

OR: 

Mr. Fantastic, Negative Zone outfit

Thing with helmet

She Hulk in Negative Zone

Triton

Thundra

Mole Man

Annihilus as BAF

It goes on and on....

On 6/29/2021 at 10:40 PM, Atlantis said:

These people are utter fools, to not see all the action figure goodness that comes from the Fantastic Four. 

I can take that same Torch there and put him in the red and yellow outfit he briefly wore 2. Add translucent Invisible Woman  3.Diablo  4.Impossible Man 5. Nova (Frankie) 6.Gorgon

Watcher as BAF

OR: 

Mr. Fantastic, Negative Zone outfit

Thing with helmet

She Hulk in Negative Zone

Triton

Thundra

Mole Man

Annihilus as BAF

It goes on and on....

Don't worry.The f4 will more then likely become the 4th main line in the ML brand. Particularly after the MCU gives us a good movie for them.

I absolutely hate this line up, but whadayagonnado? You gotta have the F4 in an F4 wave so that's a given, but I know so many of us were waiting for just a little more female presence here. Perhaps a better She-Hulk, or Crystal, or maybe Frankie Ray Nova. How bout Titania. I'm not upset about Psycho Man and High Evolutionary, but they missed out on so much potential. Like I said, you gotta put the main four in the wave, but why not announce two waves, split the main roster in half and make room for a lot more glaring holes in the F4 corner of ML? They coulda put Reed and Sue in the first wave, then rounded it out with a new She-Hulk, Psycho Man, Diablo and Mole Man. A second wave could have Johnny and Ben with Frankie Ray, Crystal, Wizard and Karnak. How many versions of the original team are they gonna keep passing off to us until we stop buying them. I guess as long as they put off giving us an entire team in all the correct costumes. What a waste.

Hopefully they'll give the F4 the X-Men treatment and give us a few F4 waves a year, with BAF's. I know there's so many people waiting to get their hands on a first ever Lockjaw, or even a new take on Dragon Man.

Psycho Man isn't my fave F4 villain, but just for the sheer oddness/complexity of his look, I'd love to see how they handle it. That could be a really excellent figure. 

I also would like to see a Torch using that same buck, but only completely flamed on

Wizard with pinless tech

Sandman in his green "armor" suit

Triton

Mr. Fantastic in his short sleeves

Thundra

Dragon Man

On 6/29/2021 at 1:07 PM, McHogan said:

I would take any Marvel Animal: Super - Apes, Zabu, for sample, plus other characters like Ursa Major that can double as animals. Be fun to recreate the scene from the original Wolverine limited series where he fights a bear.

then obviously any character that transforms into a creature like ... WEREWOLF by Night..Hasbro has gotten impressive with their animals like Timber, Ursa and the Panther from that D& D set..

Similar to what you're saying, I'm wondering why we haven't seen more of Tigra? And they definitely have the skill and know-how to give us not only Werewolf by Night, but Man- Wolf as well. 

I'll take Zabu over Ka-Zar any day, especially with an articulated jaw. And speaking of ...Lockjaw, anyone?? C'mon Hasbro, quit with the foot dragging!

On 6/29/2021 at 11:34 AM, leokearon said:

Again I would have preferred the four not dominating the wave again. Sadly while new characters, I don't care for either Psycho-Man or High Evolutionary, so not much for me to get excited over 

Same here. Neither is a physical bruiser, especially Psycho-Man & High Evolutionary never did a thing for me as a character. The POA on Psycho Man is gonna be interesting to see as his attire looks very restrictive. Just waiting to see if we're getting a retooled comic accurate scaled Thing ala Byrne/Perez art or giant buck with costume accurate shorts.fantasticfour.thumb.jpg.ad7f1ca79dfc6be4204ee10a900cd3c4.jpg1649081038_FFpicbyJB.thumb.jpg.02d210042cd62628b2def55da9300dc5.jpg1762514446_ThingbyPerez.thumb.jpg.faf616bece49acd22d4a3653d16abff5.jpg

I'm down for Psycho-Man and High Evolutionary if true. Both have neat designs and have never had 6" figures before as far as I know. I was kinda holding out hope for Firelord, though. 

While I agree that its kind of a bummer how much of a wave the FF take up by their nature, I do still really want to see Maker Reed and Blackbeard Thing some day in the futute. Hopefully this set does well and we get plenty more waves to follow.