Another Look At The Marvel Legends Fantastic Four Retro Wave Human Torch

JayC

On 6/29/2021 at 4:40 PM, Atlantis said:

These people are utter fools, to not see all the action figure goodness that comes from the Fantastic Four. 

I doubt it's them not seeing the potential so much as it is the FF not having been a hot property in a number of years. We only just recently got over them having a corporate mandated embargo that kept them off merchandise and out of comics for several years, and even prior to that the Four had not been a big deal in mainstream pop culture since...whenever the last Tim Story movie was out. So what, 2008 or whereabouts? 

As it is, them getting a dedicated retail wave last year and now a Retro wave is quite impressive. But they're not an evergreen brand that's likely gonna have retailers clamoring for multiple waves per year, so I fully get why, by necessity, Hasbro wants to come out swinging with the big guns.

As it is, I'm perfectly fine with High Evolutionary and Psycho-Man being here since they both have great designs. I'd love to get Dragon Man as a deluxe release, or more likely a future BAF. I also need Franklin and Val at some point too.

On 6/30/2021 at 1:12 AM, watanabefan said:

The suits were definitely intended to be black. In the issue where Jean Grey comes back after having been cocooned and replaced by the Phoenix Force, she initially thinks Reed is an impostor since the Fantastic Four she remembers didn't wear black. 

ab2e50a7d377eee18badee10d5b914e7.jpg

The coloring issue is confused because thanks to the limited palette options available in older comics, black outfits and hair were often given blue highlights to to try and add depth (this is why many people refer to Superman as having blue hair in early comics.)

superman-ftr1-1024x640.jpg

The most famous example of this is probably Marvel's own Beast, as he was clearly stated to have black fur near the end of his short-lived solo feature, but the highlights added caused subsequent creative teams to mistakenly think it was blue, and thus, history was made. 

amazing-adventures-15-2.jpg?q=50&fit=cro

As for the Legends toys, I'm fine with the color choice. I'd have preferred black, but deep blue is a nicer comprise. I absolutely hate the robin's egg shade of blue they used in the first season of the TV show and the recent 3.75" Sue Storm.

If I'm not mistaken there was same story with Spider-Man 2099 and it was referred as being black costume, Yet I would register Jean's dress being more  black than F4 costume from that Panel, I agree about best option being dark deep blue. Also worth mentioning that Blue is very recent and weird color in terms of human history, there's not a single word that can describe blue color in Iliad for example and many ancient languages, and it was often considered that something dark blue is automatically black regular blue just shade of green. 

The Stealth Iron Man is another victim of the "blue is the new black" phenomenon.

blue+is+the+new+black.jpg For cases like this or the Fantastic Four uniforms, I understand if the general mental image of the suits is that they're blue, but going for a very deep almost-black hue seems like should be the standard instead of using a straight-up blue like it happened with the Stealth Armor Marvel Legends.

Im excited for High Evolutionary...He has deep roots in the Marvel Universe. Now Psycho man...I cant really get excited about but I will purchase him just because he's a new character getting a figure. My only exposure to him was from Micronauts back in the early 80's. Should be interesting to see Hasbros take on him.

On 6/29/2021 at 7:51 PM, ADour said:

The Stealth Iron Man is another victim of the "blue is the new black" phenomenon.

blue+is+the+new+black.jpg For cases like this or the Fantastic Four uniforms, I understand if the general mental image of the suits is that they're blue, but going for a very deep almost-black hue seems like should be the standard instead of using a straight-up blue like it happened with the Stealth Armor Marvel Legends.

That pic reminds me that we need a classic Fixer figure yesterday.

On 5/12/2021 at 7:15 PM, Psychosomatic said:

Really hope we get a great flame on version. Not translucent, head and body the same color red, orange shading, and the classic black lines/dashes.  This is the perfect time for it! 

I can see this and at the same time I wouldn't have a problem with him being translucent; after all they do that a lot to accent the flame aspect. 

On 7/1/2021 at 5:22 PM, Gigantor said:

Translucent makes zero sense to recreate a person on fire. You don't become see thru when in flames. FF.thumb.jpg.724c2e229e6b2b8d3f8bb6e4398d6253.jpg

Well for that matter you don't become red with black lines when aflame either. Come on. They use that translucent effect to further simulate the fire. Does it have to be that way, no. But that's how dad did it, that's how hasbro does it, and its worked out pretty well so far. 

On 7/2/2021 at 12:38 AM, Atlantis said:

Well for that matter you don't become red with black lines when aflame either. Come on. They use that translucent effect to further simulate the fire. Does it have to be that way, no. But that's how dad did it, that's how hasbro does it, and its worked out pretty well so far. 

The son actually turned away from doing it the way dad did it, so.

• 4 weeks later...

On 7/30/2021 at 4:50 PM, Markelous said:

Last year, the Retro Spider Man line offered up three additional figures for the line before the end of the year. Any mention/rumor we'll see the same with FF?

Generally (not always) single-releases tend to fly in under the radar with more secrecy than retail waves. So it's entirely possible there are additional single Retro FF figures planned, but so far we've heard nothing about it.

On 7/30/2021 at 10:50 PM, Markelous said:

Last year, the Retro Spider Man line offered up three additional figures for the line before the end of the year. Any mention/rumor we'll see the same with FF?

we still have only Spider-man retro rumors. Not saying there won't be more but it's looking like there won't be any this year beyond the wave.

On 7/30/2021 at 2:29 PM, Nosferatuman62172 said:

I definately want a flame on Human Torch, as that is how he's  more common depicted. I'd also like to see Silver Surfer. A deluxe Annihus or Terrax would be cool too.

Still think its lame that we got nothing this Wednesday except a glimpse of Psycho Man's emotion box. If it was supposed to peak our interest, it failed, 'cause we already knew he was coming. If it was supposed to entertain, it failed, because it was more annoying than anything else.

On 7/31/2021 at 2:13 AM, Atlantis said:

Still think its lame that we got nothing this Wednesday except a glimpse of Psycho Man's emotion box. If it was supposed to peak our interest, it failed, 'cause we already knew he was coming. If it was supposed to entertain, it failed, because it was more annoying than anything else.

really? I found it hilarious. They weren't subtle in the least and yet people still couldn't figure out what they were talking about. I mean they knew we knew so they tried to trick people to see their reactions. People were like "Um, what are they talking bout?" while others were like "Psycho Man. Duh!"

On 7/30/2021 at 8:28 PM, tarot said:

really? I found it hilarious. They weren't subtle in the least and yet people still couldn't figure out what they were talking about. I mean they knew we knew so they tried to trick people to see their reactions. People were like "Um, what are they talking bout?" while others were like "Psycho Man. Duh!"

Also not everyone pays close attention to the leaks. I did see at least a few collectors who didn't know Psycho-Man was coming before that but immediately picked up on the tease.

On 7/31/2021 at 2:39 AM, MODADDYDODOK said:

Silly me thought they were talking about Hate-Monger at first lol.

I can tell you one thing I think most people will agree on. Hasbro or any other company will never make hate monger. It is literally the living spirit of hilter. I'm not joking. Basically what he is, in either a clone or possessing some one.

On 7/30/2021 at 4:50 PM, Markelous said:

On 7/30/2021 at 4:59 PM, watanabefan said:

Generally (not always) single-releases tend to fly in under the radar with more secrecy than retail waves. So it's entirely possible there are additional single Retro FF figures planned, but so far we've heard nothing about it.

One possible single-release FF retro figure could be the teased Skrull soldier. Because of the context of when they first hinted it, a lot of people assumed the Skrull would be a Pulse troop builder like A.I.M., Hydra, Hellfire, and now the Hand ninja. But it doesn't necessarily have to be. It could be a single release on a retro card and still be an army builder. But that's pure speculation, not based on anything. 

(I do think eventually we'll get the BAF Super-Skrull repainted on a FF retro card, though. Might be down the road, but someday.)