Marvel Legends Reveals 5/17

JayC

21 minutes ago, mako said:

Oh joy, another MCU reveal. WHEEEEE!

Can we get the rest revealed all in one go? Maybe then we can move on to the comic stuff.

weren't you just saying the last day you were looking forward to more MCU figures?

Also don't worry. There will be some Comic figure this month. Not sure when though.

We just went an entire year where the only MCU figures were the Black Widow wave. Comic-only collectors can relax for a bit. But then I never understood people getting upset about stuff they aren't interested in still being made; to me all that means is cash I don't have to spend. 

Figure looks great. I didn't think we'd ever get Surtur a few years ago, so I'm happy to see him finally make his Legends debut. 

1 hour ago, JayC said:

Surtur.thumb.jpg.6426d2fb64ebf64514718700bb4e6cf5.jpg

Jay, why are you posting this? I mean if that guy doesn't look like the satan devil of legend I dont know what does. And we all know Hasbro/Disney would just NEVER sell something like this or mephisto, come on, its crazy, what an uproar there will be, omg, the horror, think about the kids, its all insane....

WOW this one looks so amazing!!

51 minutes ago, Virtualzach said:

Yep, edited my post to suggest that after you replied.   IMO, why release anything that's supposed to be movie-accurate if it's not going to be movie-accurate.  There are plenty of other characters from the franchise that still need to be done.  It just bothers me to see people 'ooo'-ing and 'ahhhh'-ing over the size of a figure when we've had 12" ML figures for years.  Which somehow cost less on release...

The last 12” figure was released in 2018. Also they were each $50 upon release, same price as Surtur, so I’m not sure what your point is exactly. 13” is by far the best we could have expected outside of a Haslab, which likely wouldn’t get funded. The figure looks great and it’ll still tower over every other Ragnarok figure, who cares if it’s not completely accurately scaled?

1 hour ago, Jmacq1 said:

Sure.  And at that size he'd have needed to be a HasLab product rather than something retailers would agree to carry.

Yeah, staying true to actual in-scale size, particularly for bigger figures, couldn't really fly for manufacturers, retailers, or (most) collectors.  Rather than tackle each case willy-nilly though, I think it would benefit manufacturers to adopt a "sliding size scale", much like the 616's sliding timeline.  So just as important historical events in the Marvel Universe's sliding timeline carry more "weight" and are therefore "anchored" to their real-life historical dates - such as World War II - so too would important sizes get "anchored" to their actual scale measurements, and as we get further away from those sizes, the deviation is allowed to increase exponentially.  In the scale theory I drafted for my own use I adopted an anthropocentric view where "important sizes" was understood to mean "closest in size to an average human being".  Like so:

6" Scale Action Figure Sliding Size Scale Guidelines

-        Tiny: less than 12” tall/long = less than 1” tall/long in scale.

-        Small: 1’1” – 4’0” tall/long = 1” – 4” tall/long in scale.

-        Normal: 4’1” – 9’0” tall/long = 4” – 9” tall/long in scale.

-        Big: 9’1” – 20’0” tall/long = 9” – 12” tall/long in scale.

-        Giant: 20’0” – 50’0” tall/long = 12” – 20” tall/long in scale.

-        Cosmic: more than 50’ tall/long = more than 24” tall/long in scale.

Figures with a size classification of "Normal" should be as close as possible to a 12:1 ratio.  For example, if Spider-Man is 5' 10" tall, his action figures should stand at 5 and 10/12".  This doesn't need to be a published thing, just something to pin up on the office wall so that your Sentinel isn't taller than your Galactus, Toybiz.  These are also, as it says, guidelines rather than hard and fast rules, but it's a good framework, I think, for an internal discussion among members of a design team.  The concept seems to be something generally agreed upon by toymakers and collectors, but I've never really heard anybody articulate suggested guidelines.  Really, anyone demanding a five-foot tall Marvel Legends Galactus figure is either being obtuse or genuinely has the interest in, money to buy, and space to display such a thing and is therefore Nicolas Cage.  Same with smaller figures.  If Hasbro packs in a shrunken Wasp action figure that stands just under an actual inch, you know, I'm not going to say "That's dumb!  Wasp doesn't fly around at eleven inches tall!"  Well, I might say that, but I'd be being obtuse.  ...Or Nic Cage.

9 minutes ago, JayC said:

I personally think they should have made him the size he was at the beginning of the movie which would have been bigger than a normal ML but not 12". Then give us his thrown. That's just me though.

Actually, rewatching that scene, Surtur is about twice Thor's height, maybe even a little more. 13 inches places him right about there. 

1 hour ago, tarot said:

weren't you just saying the last day you were looking forward to more MCU figures?

Also don't worry. There will be some Comic figure this month. Not sure when though.

No, I never said anything even remotely like that.

I'm thrilled for the MCU collectors, and some of these figures DO look cool, but I'm a comic figure collector and look forward to Hasbro spreading some love our way.

4 minutes ago, mako said:

No, I never said anything even remotely like that.

I'm thrilled for the MCU collectors, and some of these figures DO look cool, but I'm a comic figure collector and look forward to Hasbro spreading some love our way.

You will get stuff later in the month.

30 minutes ago, JayC said:

I personally think they should have made him the size he was at the beginning of the movie which would have been bigger than a normal ML but not 12". Then give us his thrown. That's just me though.

I agree with this. If you can't do the bigger version at least somewhat accurate (which is basically impossible), at least give the "normal" version a good shot. This is worse than the MCU Really Tall Guy BAF.

Wow, to say this thing is ridiculously unimpressive is an understatement. I realize it's hard to translate a giant demon lord made of fire into plastic, but this is one of those things they coulda just left undone and could have done something that would actually look good, like Destroyer. As a non-MCU collector, I must admit I've warmed up to them, especially in the age of the photo real technology, but aside from the Warrior Thor, the rest of this Infinity Saga is just a painful reach. Another Cap, 3 more IM, another Thanos. Yeah, I know they all have their own little unique elements that make them different from previous figures, but man, I can do with the ones I have. How many times are we rotate the "new" Iron Men off the shelves. And at these prices, I expected better. 

2 hours ago, Virtualzach said:

13 inches is *way* too small.  See image below (early movie when Thor is battling 'small' Sutur).  That's why I was saying this should be at least 24 inches/Haslab type project.  Instead we get this tiny, inaccurate version of the character. 

maxresdefault.jpg

I can’t imagine more than about 10 people would be willing to pay for a 2 ft tall version of a villain who was essentially a plot device. 

Just now, glhshelby said:

I can’t imagine more than about 10 people would be willing to pay for a 2 ft tall version of a villain who was essentially a plot device. 

alot of people would get it. Not because of the movie but because it is the only version of a character we have never (and given his size, will) get in ML. His design in the MCU is very similar to his comic counterpart.

But like many, many people have said to get an accurate height comic book Surtur, he would have to be Haslab, and even then he would be too small.

This is another one I won't be getting personally, but I'm so glad they made it for people who will. They did a fantastic job on this; the translucent plastic, the texture, the choice of scale. 

As for the inert crown accessory, I could see a customizer 3D designing/printing one and doing well selling casts.  

This is another hit in my opinion. Is he to an unachievable movie scale? No, but at the very least he will fit nicely into any Ragnarok display. Reminds me when comic artists would do a pin up of the hero and his Rogues Gallery. Often the largest villains would be drawn smaller to fit into the page. This is really no different. In my Thor display, he will be in the background because of his height but my mind is satisfied knowing in “reality” he is a bigger character. 

Im glad to see these supporting characters get some Legends love, in the same way I like  getting the odd Rock Python or Rage every now and again. 

As someone  who never “got” Star Wars brands inclusion of “Background Alien #6” gets a figure mentality I gotta say I love that Hasbro is spicing up the Infinity Saga figures with cool options and frankly re-do’s of characters that they whiffed on earlier like IW Cap. 

I mean, when Legends first started, specifically MCU, even Black Widow was considered a long shot. Now we get Happy Hogan’s and Luis figures. Or even better in the IW Cap figure, we get a second shot at a figure that was inaccurate from the start. Gone are the days of take it or leave it. 

By the time Hasbro is done any MCU display will be filled with the best versions of every important character in their movies. It obviously has taken some time to fill some  holes ( Quicksilver ) and maybe the first take on a character isn’t the greatest but show some patience, I truly feel Hasbro will get that perfect version eventually.

1 hour ago, Ironspider428 said:

Actually, rewatching that scene, Surtur is about twice Thor's height, maybe even a little more. 13 inches places him right about there. 

I posted a picture from the opening scene earlier.  He is *at least* three times Thor's height, if not more.  A truly accurate portrayal would put him in the 20" range.  

As for people claiming this is a store/stocking issue, no...you guys obviously haven't been to the store recently and seen Barbie (and other toy brands) HUGE packaging for product that is $30-40 (and sometimes less).  It's not an issue of shelf space.  It's an issue of Hasbro not wanting to spend additional manufacture costs for a movie-accurate representation.  As I said before, 6 inches on 1/6th scale is negligible.  But 8 feet?  Would anyone take issue of the Jeb figure couldn't visibly fit into Iron Monger or would we just gloss over that one too?

If they're willing to release a $100 Sentinel from DoFP, they can do so for Sutur as well.  I'm sure most of us would pay it (even if we pretend on these forums like we wouldn't...).

Just a friendly reminder guys. No arguing about the height of the figure.  we already have had to give 2 people a warning about it over on the Sentinel thread. 

Now before anyone says this is a mod over stepping his role, it's not. We are just asking you to keep it civil. We all know that it is a bit shorter then we hoped but at the same time many understand why it is like that. Please respect each other's opinions.

39 minutes ago, tarot said:

Just a friendly reminder guys. No arguing about the height of the figure.  we already have had to give 2 people a warning about it over on the Sentinel thread. 

Now before anyone says this is a mod over stepping his role, it's not. We are just asking you to keep it civil. We all know that it is a bit shorter then we hoped but at the same time many understand why it is like that. Please respect each other's opinions.

Seriously, totally overstepping. No one has gotten ugly to anyone else about this matter. It's friendly back and forth, nobody's getting hurt here. Just cuz you've made it very clear in the past that you're no fan of the "this guy shoulda been this size" arguments doesn't mean other people don't want to partake. The fact that people keep it alive means it's important issue to the reasoning of why or why not people will or won't be getting it. Get over yourself, man. This forum's not all about you.

2 hours ago, monron999 said:

Wow, to say this thing is ridiculously unimpressive is an understatement. I realize it's hard to translate a giant demon lord made of fire into plastic, but this is one of those things they coulda just left undone and could have done something that would actually look good, like Destroyer. As a non-MCU collector, I must admit I've warmed up to them, especially in the age of the photo real technology, but aside from the Warrior Thor, the rest of this Infinity Saga is just a painful reach. Another Cap, 3 more IM, another Thanos. Yeah, I know they all have their own little unique elements that make them different from previous figures, but man, I can do with the ones I have. How many times are we rotate the "new" Iron Men off the shelves. And at these prices, I expected better. 

I disagree. I think the Infinity Saga line has hit a perfect mix of new characters we need and redos of older figures. Quicksilver, Odin, Fat Thor, Endgame Carol and Surtur were all on a lot of people's lists and now we finally have them. Infinity War Cap, Endgame Thanos and MK 85 were all in desperate need of updates, and we finally get those too. I'd argue that MK 3 and Iron Monger aren't even technically redos, since the original figures were so bad. 

I think Surtur, while not being quite as big as he was to scale in the movie, still warrants a figure and I'd much rather have this one than none at all. Plus, if they made him a Haslab, people would complain about them wasting a spot on a MCU character who only got like 5 minutes of screentime. At 13 inches, he'll still look imposing on a Ragnarok or MCU villains shelf, he'll still be around twice Thor's height. I think Hasbro made the right decision here.

2 minutes ago, monron999 said:

Seriously, totally overstepping. No one has gotten ugly to anyone else about this matter. It's friendly back and forth, nobody's getting hurt here. Just cuz you've made it very clear in the past that you're no fan of the "this guy shoulda been this size" arguments doesn't mean other people don't want to partake. The fact that people keep it alive means it's important issue to the reasoning of why or why not people will or won't be getting it. Get over yourself, man. This forum's not all about you.

If your not attacking anyone then you dont have anything to worry about but now your attacking Tarot for simply putting a friendly reminder out there which is to prevent things from getting ugly.  And keeping it alive to state the same point over and over again is called beating a dead horse. You can state a point but if not everyone agrees its ok to let it go.

20 minutes ago, JayC said:

If your not attacking anyone then you dont have anything to worry about but now your attacking Tarot for simply putting a friendly reminder out there which is to prevent things from getting ugly.  And keeping it alive to state the same point over and over again is called beating a dead horse. You can state a point but if not everyone agrees its ok to let it go.

I think his point was that no one is really "arguing" over the height of the figure.  There is no need to issue pre-emptive warnings at this stage of the discussion.  If we can't talk about the height, can we also not talk about accessories, color variations, comic versus MCU styles, etc.?  These are all things that have been up for debate/discussion in the forums previously and all pertinent to the figures.  We're talking about toys in a toy thread--what is ok to discuss?