Jump to content

Marvel Legends Reveals 5/17


JayC
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Ironspider428 said:

So I guess the crown is removable? That's kind of a neat touch, but I would have preferred a completely separate one because he'll definitely look weird without it. Maybe if we ever get a Roadworn Thor, he'll come with that piece separately.

I'm hearing conflicting reports but the solicit claims it comes with an inert version of the helmet like the one that came with the Hot Toys figure.

hot-toys-thor-ragnarok-surtur-1012278.jp

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, watanabefan said:

I'm hearing conflicting reports but the solicit claims it comes with an inert version of the helmet like the one that came with the Hot Toys figure.

hot-toys-thor-ragnarok-surtur-1012278.jp

It clearly doesn't come with an inert version as the official pics don't show it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Virtualzach said:

No one is arguing that it won't sell.  It's whether they've taken too many liberties with the character size just to get it out there.  Is it better than nothing?  I mean...maybe?  Would anyone complain if it were 20" tall instead of 13?  Nope. 

There's the correct point right there. Looking back at it, it does look a little better as the pre-giant Surter, but its clear, just as with that ridiculous Giant Man, that they"re just banking on the whole "this is the best you're gonna get" aspect. It should be bigger, and they coulda made it bigger, especially for the asking price, but this is the best they're gonna give you.

To me the thing looks terrible regardless of size. Like I said before, it loses a lot in translation. Luckily I really didn't care for the character and I think it was a lazy "Doomsday" type of generic looking design to start with so I can take a pass on this, but I have no doubt that this thing will have no problem selling cuz waiting for them to do a "better" version of a character you never thought they'd make in the first place never works out so well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Virtualzach said:

No one is arguing that it won't sell.  It's whether they've taken too many liberties with the character size just to get it out there.  Is it better than nothing?  I mean...maybe?  Would anyone complain if it were 20" tall instead of 13?  Nope. 

I think that's what gets lost on these height discussions; it's like people are picking a 'team' or something and feel the need to defend it.  It's not buyer versus non-buyer.  It's realistic versus non-realistic.  If people are happy with a half-arsed representation of the character, so be it.  It's your dollar.  

I'm not sure if you missed it but Ryan Ting indicated that an 18" Surtur "would not have been feasible for a single deluxe style release as part of the Infinity Saga program", and I think its a safe bet that he knows better than you or I what constraints hasbro has as far as mass released toys go. That's the more relevant "realistic vs non-realistic" aspect of this release than whether the fire demon from the movie with the magic hammer guy has a "realistic" height.   iow it doesn't have much to do with collectors being willing to accept "a half-arsed representation of the character".  

personally i have doubts as to how this figure will do at retail.  he's fairly pricey without being a long-time classic like MODOK (who also has an upcoming streaming series). maybe if he's fan channel he'll do OK but i can't see Target or WM letting this guy take up shelf space for long - like many of the 'anniversary' figures/sets, he will likely be marked down quickly and steeply. 

I kinda think they would've been better off making him a BAF even if it meant shaving an inch or two off him, which of course would have led to even more wailing about scales.  And its a moot point anyhow as the time for him to be a BAF would've been when Ragnarok came out, and Hasbro decided to go with gladiator Hulk BAF instead (which was the correct choice imo).  It does make me wonder about a 2nd ragnarok wave but obviously that never happened.

Finally, its kind of silly to compare atrocities committed by a purely imaginary being like Thanos* vs real-world despots/dictators. and many people do view Satan, Lucifer, the devil, whatever you name you choose, to be a real being and thus would raise a stink if they see what looks like a representation of him in the toy aisle.  A rational argument is not going to sway such people and its more trouble for hasbro and retailers than its worth.  Ditto for including a nazi armband on red skull. 

*and fwiw let's not forget that as far as humans are concerned, most of the lives Thanos took in Infinity War were restored by the avengers in Endgame.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah I think the part that one side doesn't like/want to hear in the "we want bigger/to-scale figures" argument is that it's not about whether the hardcore collectors here would buy them (those with the means and space mostly would)...it's about whether Hasbro could get them onto mass-retail shelves at all...and if that answer is "no" then HasLab is pretty much the only option.  In fact it's a core part of HasLab's "mission statement" as it were.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, bashpics99 said:

I kinda think they would've been better off making him a BAF even if it meant shaving an inch or two off him, which of course would have led to even more wailing about scales.  And its a moot point anyhow as the time for him to be a BAF would've been when Ragnarok came out, and Hasbro decided to go with gladiator Hulk BAF instead (which was the correct choice imo).  It does make me wonder about a 2nd ragnarok wave but obviously that never happened.

I'd personally be happy to see "Big-Boys" like Galactus, Giant Man, and Surtur here (comic and/or MCU based) divided up between BAF releases, Deluxe, and Titan Series type figures. Cost efficient and just about everyone would have equal access to them.

Scale isn't really an issue for me. Whether it's a BAF, Deluxe, Titan Series, HasScam, or paying some guy to put on a costume and go stand on your display shelf, you will NEVER get a true 1/12th scale MegaZord, Celestial, Fenris or whatever.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, mako said:

I'd personally be happy to see "Big-Boys" like Galactus, Giant Man, and Surtur here (comic and/or MCU based) divided up between BAF releases, Deluxe, and Titan Series type figures. Cost efficient and just about everyone would have equal access to them.

Scale isn't really an issue for me. Whether it's a BAF, Deluxe, Titan Series, HasScam, or paying some guy to put on a costume and go stand on your display shelf, you will NEVER get a true 1/12th scale MegaZord, Celestial, Fenris or whatever.

Same here, as long as the Big Guys are bigger than my regular figures, that's what matters to be.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, leokearon said:

Same here, as long as the Big Guys are bigger than my regular figures, that's what matters to be.

1 hour ago, tarot said:

Yeah, while there are some character where I say the bigger the better (ie galactus) if the figure is towering over other then it will work

2 hours ago, mako said:

I'd personally be happy to see "Big-Boys" like Galactus, Giant Man, and Surtur here (comic and/or MCU based) divided up between BAF releases, Deluxe, and Titan Series type figures. Cost efficient and just about everyone would have equal access to them.

Scale isn't really an issue for me. Whether it's a BAF, Deluxe, Titan Series, HasScam, or paying some guy to put on a costume and go stand on your display shelf, you will NEVER get a true 1/12th scale MegaZord, Celestial, Fenris or whatever.

My thoughts exactly. Especially if you put him up on a riser or something in the back of a display he’ll look plenty big. Plus, Surtur can change his size. I’m pretty sure he grew a bit between sitting on his throne and fighting Thor at the beginning of Ragnarok. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Virtualzach said:

I don't really see why screen time would have anything to do with the size of the figure.  The shorter the screen time, the shorter the character?

I guess I shoulda worded it differently,  Surter wasn't really the main villain of the movie, Hela was. So I don't think Hasbro would be blowing a ton of their budget $$ on making sure to make a more scale accurate Surter. Plus the guy can alter his hgt at will if I'm not mistaken. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Gigantor said:

I guess I shoulda worded it differently,  Surter wasn't really the main villain of the movie, Hela was. So I don't think Hasbro would be blowing a ton of their budget $$ on making sure to make a more scale accurate Surter. Plus the guy can alter his hgt at will if I'm not mistaken. 

Yes, but he's one of the most cool and unique looking characters in MCU, and as a figure hasbro did him justice, even if you aren't big fan  he's very attractive figure and his height only increases his attractiveness, which just made Giant man figure. both movie and comics version possible.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Jmacq1 said:

Yeah I think the part that one side doesn't like/want to hear in the "we want bigger/to-scale figures" argument is that it's not about whether the hardcore collectors here would buy them (those with the means and space mostly would)...it's about whether Hasbro could get them onto mass-retail shelves at all...and if that answer is "no" then HasLab is pretty much the only option.  In fact it's a core part of HasLab's "mission statement" as it were.

The thing is, that's exactly what Hasbro does with Transformers. Yes, they're not exactly always to scale, but they put some huge figures at retail. Trypticon and the upcoming Ark spring to mind. At this point, Marvel is definitely capable of being on par with bots so I don't see any excuse that they can't do the same. Granted, I would expect Haslab to be bigger than anything like that but I'd be fine with them not being enormous personally. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know he's not screen accurate, and I would've probably complained about it 5 years ago, as I did with giAntman. But the way things are right now... he's big enough to fit my displays, looks menacing and cool next to the other figures, and fills a big gap in my collection. A buy from me (if I can find any of these damn sets! So far, I've only gotten preorders for Odin and the Cap/Rescue set)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, enzosaurusrex said:

How would people feel if it was just a 3-Pack of Shadowcat, Meggan and Rachel Summers?

That'd be fine since there are already ML of the other team members.  But five is the magic number for a BAF, so that's what it'll be.  No idea why it's taken so long to release a figure for Rachel Summers.  She was huge in the MU when I first started reading comics (not long after Secret Wars).  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Virtualzach said:

That'd be fine since there are already ML of the other team members.  But five is the magic number for a BAF, so that's what it'll be.  No idea why it's taken so long to release a figure for Rachel Summers.  She was huge in the MU when I first started reading comics (not long after Secret Wars).  

Rachel got a figure by Hasbro back in the Brood Queen wave, but she could do with an update

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...







Sign Up For The TNI Newsletter And Have The News Delivered To You!


Entertainment News International (ENI) is the #1 popular culture network for adult fans all around the world.
Get the scoop on all the popular comics, games, movies, toys, and more every day!

Contact and Support

Advertising | Submit News | Contact ENI | Privacy Policy

©Entertainment News International - All images, trademarks, logos, video, brands and images used on this website are registered trademarks of their respective companies and owners. All Rights Reserved. Data has been shared for news reporting purposes only. All content sourced by fans, online websites, and or other fan community sources. Entertainment News International is not responsible for reporting errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and or other liablities related to news shared here. We do our best to keep tabs on infringements. If some of your content was shared by accident. Contact us about any infringements right away - CLICK HERE