Marvel Studios' Eternals Official First Trailer

JayC

5 hours ago, tarot said:

if it about the highlight part, well, I mean the MCU has combine or changed a characters.(Ghost for example.) Dane Whitman could be from the Medievil times, from victorians times, modern times. My guess is he will be a knight of some king who Sersei falls for but dies. 

The tweet I took that from was saying Kit seems to be an afterthought. Not saying I agree with it.

15 hours ago, tarot said:

if it about the highlight part, well, I mean the MCU has combine or changed a characters.(Ghost for example.) Dane Whitman could be from the Medievil times, from victorians times, modern times. My guess is he will be a knight of some king who Sersei falls for but dies. 

He's already been shown in modern clothing in the trailer.  And there were leaked photos of a scene between him and Sersi that had them both on a regular city street.

I doubt they're making Dane immortal, and by most indications he seems like he'll be in modern times (and presumably a modern character).

Given the "with" billing his role is almost certainly just a supporting one, though.  I'm betting on him being the "human perspective" on modern day events in the movie.   Might be amusing if he's part of SWORD given where his character arc is likely to go.  But I don't think he's going to be a huge part of this movie, or swoop in on a flying horse at the end to save the day.  I really don't get the impression Chloe Zhao signed on to direct "The stealth Black Knight movie that we're going to pretend is about the Eternals."

Basically, he's going to get put out there and established, and we'll maybe get hints of his story and how it will develop (up to and maybe including that mid-credits stinger I mentioned above), but I think he's probably not suiting up until a later movie.  I'm gonna be REALLY surprised if we see Dane Whitman in full Black Knight mode in this (though as noted I think there's a decent chance we see a "historical" Black Knight...whether Sir Percy or Eobar Garrington or both).  This cast is already huge and it's already going to be a heavy lift to establish the Eternals themselves...trying to cram the Black Knight's full origin into it really seems like a bridge too far.

3 hours ago, Jmacq1 said:

I suspect they'll either A:  Save that for the big screen or B: We'll get Deviants and Celestials in the next trailer, which will be the "main" trailer as opposed to a teaser.

Probably but even a tease would have made things a bit more interesting

20 hours ago, tarot said:

I still think they are going to combine Sir Percy and Whitman's character with him being a Knight from the medievil period

3 hours ago, Jmacq1 said:

He's already been shown in modern clothing in the trailer.  And there were leaked photos of a scene between him and Sersi that had them both on a regular city street.

I doubt they're making Dane immortal, and by most indications he seems like he'll be in modern times (and presumably a modern character).

Maybe Sir Percy and Dane Whitman will be two distinct characters but Kit Harrington plays both to establish their ancestral connection. That's not based on anything I've heard or read, just a possibility. 

1 hour ago, RyanDaly said:

Maybe Sir Percy and Dane Whitman will be two distinct characters but Kit Harrington plays both to establish their ancestral connection. That's not based on anything I've heard or read, just a possibility. 

That could easily happen.

• 2 months later...
On 8/19/2021 at 2:35 AM, leokearon said:

To be honest the humour isn't great here, especially as it messes with the more grander tone the trailer is going for.

The same could be said about every single MCU film since GOTG. Still, this one does look more interesting than your average Marvel mess . . . but that's a low bar.

I was always planning on seeing this because I have faith in Marvel Studios to put out a good movie BUT I was a little nervous. Now I'm 100% in. This trailer explained things more and also showed us some Celestials. Totally on board.

I can tooootally see how Thena could fall for Kro! Totally! 😄

All in all, it looks pretty interesting, my issues with the design elements not withstanding. If the Celestials are featured prominently, then I think the film has a chance to be something really cool, up there with GotG in terms of third stringers being turned into A-Listers. We'll see!

Bwaaaaahaaaaahaaaahaa!!!

"We were forbidden from helping humanity by a higher unknown authority."

"Bringing back people from the dead breaks the rules laid forth by an unseen, all knowing authority and it sets off a chain reaction that could lead to the destruction of all life in the universe."

Hmm......now where have I heard that? LOfreakin'L, at least we know why Glitch got cancelled on Netflix. The only question is how much did Disney pay to acquire this concept? Pure effing gold. Now the MCU is reduced to stealing stories. Then again, if the track record of Marvel's crop of current "writers" is any indication of the company's creative capabilities is it any surprise they are looking to outside sources?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
It is being reported by Variety that after last weekend's performance of Shang-Chi which saw a theater only release, they would stick with their plans for releasing Eternals in theaters only as well. The movie will open on November 5th and then be released at home 45 days later.

They also announced dates for several new unnamed MCU projects in 2024. February 16, May 3, July 26, and Nov. 8.

Well, that's disappointing but not terribly surprising. Prior to the pandemic I always supported the MCU by going to the movie theater on opening weekend religiously. The pandemic ended that. I still haven't seen either Black Widow or Shang-Chi as I wait for them to be out on DVD or Disney+ (for no additional cost). I love these movies but there is absolutely nothing that would get me in a movie theater any time in the near future, certainly not during the rest of 2021 (if ever again, quite frankly). I want these movies to do well, but I'll wait until they're available to watch in my home. The only thing that I hate about that is that it's almost impossible to avoid spoilers for 45 days.... usually within 24 hours of the movie being released half the articles on the internet have spoilers right in their titles. So Annoying.

I have no plans for going to a theater to watch any movie until mask mandates are removed. I understand the need for the mandates unfortunately at this point but I am not going to sit in a movie theater for 2+ hours to watch a movie while having to wear one. I have no problem waiting the 45 days for home release to watch these things and there plenty of other things out there being released on the various streaming services to watch until it gets released at home.