Aaron Taylor-Johnson Tapped As 'Kraven The Hunter' In Stand-Alone Film

Outsiders

Deadline is reporting that Aaron Taylor-Johnson has been cast as lead role in Sony's Marvel film Kraven the Hunter.

Kraven is one of Marvel’s most iconic and notorious antiheros, who has encountered Venom and Black Panther, among many others, as well as being one of Spider-Man’s best known and most formidable enemies.

J.C. Chandor would direct the film from a screenplay written by Art Marcum & Matt Holloway and Richard Wenk.  Avi Arad and Matt Tolmach are producing.

The film is set to premiere on January 13th, 2023.

Aaron_Taylor_Johnson_Kraven_The_Hunter.jpg

First off, the casting is fantastic. Let's get that out of the way. With that being said, perhaps they should have waited to see how Venom 2 and Morbius do before committing to any more spidey villain/anti-hero one-offs.....  Would have loved to see ATJ square off against Tom Holland's Spidey in the MCU proper.... (without looking at all like his Quicksilver character).

5 hours ago, RyanDaly said:

This is such a terrible ****ing idea. Leave it to a studio as poorly run as Sony to try and build a franchise on a big game hunter as the protagonist. 

I gotta say I feel a bit the same, really how no idea having of you Sony, I remember hearing about a potential Kraven film years ago, did I actually think it would get green lit, no way in hell! , a whole movie about Kraven (as the sorta what protagonist?) what are you thinking? Sony couldn't have made a Prowler movie? that would have made more sense, or they could have done the Black Cat or Silver Sable movie, those would have made sense...not this, I love Aaron Taylor-Johnson, sure he's good does he seem like the right guy to play Kraven no, he doesn't seem big enough, all I can think of is the jackasses in the Sony Board room..Aaron he's a good actor also remember that Russianish Accent he did in Age of Ultron, man...Sony the WB of Marvel at it again.

spacer.png

Man, Sony is really, really reaching with their little section of the Marvel Universe. The Spidy-verse is the largest section of the Marvel Universe, why are they grabbing for these criminals, who are generally unknown to non-fans, to try and catch lightning in a bottle? The casting doesn't bother me so much, cuz ATJ is a fairly tall kid who can put on a fair amount of muscle when necessary. What bothers me is the subject matter. I'm sure ultimately there's some kind of Sinister Six endgame in the works, but why not do the team movie first and see which characters register with the fans to justify a movie? I do believe there is a little security for Sony with the fact that Disney/Marvel will not let Spider-Man's shared universe fail, but the fact that one gamble (Venom) performed marginally successful, at best, is not a good reason to go all in on every connected character they can find.

20 minutes ago, monron999 said:

why are they grabbing for these criminals, who are generally unknown to non-fans, to try and catch lightning in a bottle?

I'm 99% positive this stems from an executive at Sony hearing offhand "something something 'Kraven's Last Hunt' something best Marvel storyline according to IGN" and that's all it took to green light this movie with zero understanding of who Kraven is, what he's about, and why "Kraven's Last Hunt" was successful.

2 hours ago, RyanDaly said:

I'm 99% positive this stems from an executive at Sony hearing offhand "something something 'Kraven's Last Hunt' something best Marvel storyline according to IGN" and that's all it took to green light this movie with zero understanding of who Kraven is, what he's about, and why "Kraven's Last Hunt" was successful.

It would be fun to see them to Last Hunt as the first movie and kill the character at he end.

1 hour ago, The Mad Bubbler said:

All of these solo movies of Spidey-related characters, completely divorced from Spider-Man, are just terrible, overkill ideas. 

Unlike Disney's take on Spider-Man, who wears a talking suit of metallic tights, goes to genius school, and takes class outings to VENICE, FRIGGING ITALY!!!

Let's just keep everyone we can out of Disney's sweaty little hands for now . . . ESPECIALLY Spider-Man.

On 5/26/2021 at 4:33 PM, Hogun said:

Oh come on! He's too skinny for Kraven. I would have preferred Jason Momoa. I don't care if he is Aquaman. He looks like Kraven and he has the build.

He would've been perfect for the Sub-Mariner. 

He would be a great choice indeed for Kraven...better than the guy they were really looking at (J.B. Smoove).

Sound of crickets....

But I can't understand why anyone thinks there should be a Kraven stand alone movie in the first place. Its like over on DC's CW Black Lightning...cancel the series of the main character, hype some unknown character instead for his own spin-off. It sounded like madness to me and thankfully theyve pulled the plug on the idea. That should happen here.

9 hours ago, Atlantis said:

He would've been perfect for the Sub-Mariner. 

He would be a great choice indeed for Kraven...better than the guy they were really looking at (J.B. Smoove).

Sound of crickets....

But I can't understand why anyone thinks there should be a Kraven stand alone movie in the first place. Its like over on DC's CW Black Lightning...cancel the series of the main character, hype some unknown character instead for his own spin-off. It sounded like madness to me and thankfully theyve pulled the plug on the idea. That should happen here.

I can get why Sony would give Venom his own solo movie without Spider-Man because of his immense popularity and because they wanted our forgiveness for doing him injustice for Spider-Man 3. But Kraven? I can see him hunting animals in the Savannah and just act like Tarzan or something but that would not make for a good Kraven film. That would be more of an In-Name only version of Kraven. Where had they not slapped the Marvel and Kraven names on it, the movie would have been good. Just like Fant4stic.

Big fan of the actor but this is just dumb. Disney/ Marvel have long term planning and their decision of who gets a movie are normally well received (normally.. looking at you Eternals and Shang Chi).

this.. smacks of Sony execs throwing darts at pictures of characters they have the rights too to make their decisions.

On 6/1/2021 at 5:59 PM, McHogan said:

Big fan of the actor but this is just dumb. Disney/ Marvel have long term planning and their decision of who gets a movie are normally well received (normally.. looking at you Eternals and Shang Chi).

this.. smacks of Sony execs throwing darts at pictures of characters they have the rights too to make their decisions.

Its as if they're saying, we can't use Spider-Man, we'll use someone else in the Spider-Man mythos....like Venom. 

Thing is, Venom as ex-Spidey villain/ anti-hero can work (as we've already seen) in a stand alone film.

Doesn't mean it works for Kraven ( or Shocker or Hammerhead or whoever else rounds out Spidey's B-C list of supervillains). 

13 hours ago, Atlantis said:

Its as if they're saying, we can't use Spider-Man, we'll use someone else in the Spider-Man mythos....like Venom. 

Thing is, Venom as ex-Spidey villain/ anti-hero can work (as we've already seen) in a stand alone film.

Doesn't mean it works for Kraven ( or Shocker or Hammerhead or whoever else rounds out Spidey's B-C list of supervillains). 

Agree 100%.. the characters they have announced besides Venom can’t even headline a comic book but Sony thinks they can build a movie franchise around them??

23 minutes ago, McHogan said:

Agree 100%.. the characters they have announced besides Venom can’t even headline a comic book but Sony thinks they can build a movie franchise around them??

Execs believe that anything made by Marvel will become a successful movie franchise due to the success of most Marvel movies. Can't wait until someone announces a movie based on The Imp, one of Stan Lee's first creations.

I would love Disney/Marvel to reacquire the full rights to Spider-Man because I don't trust Sony. I think their instincts have been mostly bad for a long time. However, if I were given the chance to help them I would say there are actually a few properties within the Spider-Man orbit that they could make movies of that don't require Spider-Man or the MCU's involvement.

• SILVER SABLE -- Yeah, Sony keeps talking about a "Silver and Black" team-up movie because they think that's a winning formula and, I dunno, both girls have white hair, so... synergy?!?!? It's a stupid idea because they have nothing to do with each other. But Silver Sable is very much a viable character. She's a ****ing Nazi hunter! And what better time than now to remind audiences that killing Nazis is always a good thing. You cast someone like a Charleze Theron (it doesn't have to be her; she doesn't have to be in every female fronted action movie) and you make the movie a cross between Promising Young Woman and Inglorious Basterds with some big action superhero shenanigans thrown in.

• DEADLY FOES -- While Spider-Man deals with the Sinister Six in his own movies, you make a small budget, dark comedy crime saga about the pathetic C-listers of Spidey's rogues gallery. Look at the old Deadly Foes and Superior Foes of Spider-Man comics for reference. Grab some sad sack villains like Rocket Racer, the Ringer, the Beetle, White Rabbit, Frogman, Spot; they get themselves involved in a mob war between the likes of Silvermane and Hammerhead, maybe throw in Tombstone and the Enforcers, Fancy Dan, Montana, and Ox for good measure. Keep it small, funny, dark; think Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels, or Sexy Beast, or Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang. The best part is, you can have scenes where all the criminals talk about the time they got caught by Spider-Man, and actually show Spider-Man beating them up, but since the criminals are narrating the story all of his dialogue is voiced by them, so you don't need Tom Holland or Andrew Garfield or anybody to "play" Spider-Man and step on the toes of what's going on in the MCU.