Hasbro Marvel Legends Fan-Thursday May 27 Live-Stream Coverage

JayC

AOA wave is a must have for me, love them though I have a couple minor complaints with the figures:

Iceman: Seems to be using the first Iceman Mold (Juggernaut wave) with new shoulders chest and head, would have liked them to use the Vintage wave Iceman mold better. Also I didnt know what was off with the headsculpt till I realized he's missing the 2 strands of ice hair that he had over his forehead in the comics.

Magneto: At first I didnt like that they reused the Black costume magneto's bracers and boots I thought the more classic ones would be better but sometimes they did draw him like this too, but my main complaint that I hope they fix is that although in some books they didnt paint his trunks purple, most of the time they did and he looks better that way.

Kitty: Not digging the facesculpt and I would have rather gotten a more important character in the AOA storyline (at the least another villain, were missing a lot of the bad guys), this goes in tandem with the BAF, I like how colossus looks but would have rather gotten Holocaust/Nemesis

The rest are all perfect though I kind of wish they gave cyclops some sculpted boots instead of the sleek bucky cap boots.

I know it wont happen any time soon but I really wish in 2022 or beginning 2023 they revisit AOA and give us a 3rd wave with Gambit, Sinister, Storm, Abyss, Nichtcrawler, Havok and Bishop with the BAF this time being Holocaust/Nemesis (if they dont give us one in a Deluxe figure before that)

Btw I think now we kinda know why lady deathstrike was so short, looks like they always intended  to reuse her legs for kitty.  I would guess they decided to go with shorter height that would fit for kitty and kinda fit for LD since they assumed that more people would complain about kitty being too tall than lady D too short. 

3 hours ago, Hordak Rules said:

I'm hoping given they announced that new Hercules figure that we're getting classic Avengers wave.  If so, I'd hope for:

Hercules, Tigra, Classic Captain Marvel II, Swordsman, Mantis, Starfox and maybe a Goliath BaF, either Hank Pym or Hawkeye. 

Wishful thinking I know but fingers crossed. 

I like your lineup but would replace Mantis with US Agent.

And I'm amused at how wrong all the "we're never getting classic bikini Tigra cuz of PC " crowd was. But WAP music vids are ok? 

5 hours ago, enzosaurusrex said:

Iceman has appeared spiky in the 616 universe, mostly from losing control of his powers.

Uncanny 331, by Jeff Matsuda. Uncanny 313, by Joe Mad!

The big thing of course is AOA Iceman doesn't have a mouth, but IMO I think he can still be a stand in for 616 Iceman.

xT6JEcVXFz0E.jpeg

Uncanny X-Men #313 - Emma Frost.png

But this version of Iceman has a mouth, so what would that make him

11 minutes ago, mako said:

This Iceman is really weird. Before I realized I was seeing his neck-peg through the clear plastic, I thought they had given him some freaky demonic mouth.

I noticed that shadow mouth too and for a minute I thought they reused Dormammu's head with new paint and tweaked the head to have ice instead of fire before realizing what it was.

6 hours ago, Gigantor said:

But WAP music vids are ok? 

WAP videos are better than okay.

46 minutes ago, RyanDaly said:

Dan tweeted last night that June will be a lighter month in terms of Marvel Legends reveals/released, which I think is both reasonable and appreciated considering they put out 23 new figures for pre-order in May. He also hinted, though, that more big stuff is coming in July.

spacer.png

Yeah even aside from preorders I would imagine many will be hunting down Disney plus and/or BOTBG during June. I just hope WG will start getting nova figures in June as well. 

7 hours ago, Gigantor said:

And I'm amused at how wrong all the "we're never getting classic bikini Tigra cuz of PC " crowd was. But WAP music vids are ok? 

Well,  to play devil’s advocate  there was modern Emma Frost figure that literally had weirdest chest in history of action figures. And this new Tigra probably won’t have same level of cleavage as old hasbro Tigra had, which was only thing that was decent about old Tigra figure lol. 

3 hours ago, mako said:

This Iceman is really weird. Before I realized I was seeing his neck-peg through the clear plastic, I thought they had given him some freaky demonic mouth. Hopefully they'll do a bit more of the white paint on the physical figure to help defuse the exposed inner workings.

I think it’s just the renders making it look really clear, the actual figure likely won’t be quite as see-through, if we’re to go by previous clear figures.

6 minutes ago, Ironspider428 said:

I think it’s just the renders making it look really clear, the actual figure likely won’t be quite as see-through, if we’re to go by previous clear figures.

Hope so. All things considered, I'd prefer they went with the pearlescent silver from Retro Iceman though.

Tigra = awesome. Please make this EXACTLY as render. AOA Wave 2 =  more awesome. And 2/3 of a 24 year old wish-list ticked off. Excalibur = 7/8 of a 24 year old wish-list ticked off. Everything else (Spidey Retro, Eternals, MCU) = don't care.

Next thing is harder: Hasbro's ML action figures and the representation of the female body (or "Disney downsized Storm's boobies and 'booty'.") We've been here a few times before, but I'm sitting here looking at 2021 HoX Jean Grey - a whole new sculpt. I hate to say this, but I have a whole bunch of issues with it. And, although I have nothing but love for AOA Wave 2...Rogue. Hips, yeah. And contrariwise, Tigra looks great. Because of the bikini (pretty sure that Tigra has never had a non-bikini costume, even in Fox Kids animated late 1990's Avengers) and the slightly fuller figure.

In the unlikely event that anyone cares, could we maybe have a discussion about this? Would have to be without politics. Or being offensive. Or writing things I wouldn't want my six-year old daughter to be reading or thinking about. And that Hasbro's Marvel Legends guys could read. Maybe respond to.

Well, whaddaya think? And you, Mr JayC - worth doing?

56 minutes ago, LandoTucker said:

Tigra = awesome. Please make this EXACTLY as render. AOA Wave 2 =  more awesome. And 2/3 of a 24 year old wish-list ticked off. Excalibur = 7/8 of a 24 year old wish-list ticked off. Everything else (Spidey Retro, Eternals, MCU) = don't care.

Next thing is harder: Hasbro's ML action figures and the representation of the female body (or "Disney downsized Storm's boobies and 'booty'.") We've been here a few times before, but I'm sitting here looking at 2021 HoX Jean Grey - a whole new sculpt. I hate to say this, but I have a whole bunch of issues with it. And, although I have nothing but love for AOA Wave 2...Rogue. Hips, yeah. And contrariwise, Tigra looks great. Because of the bikini (pretty sure that Tigra has never had a non-bikini costume, even in Fox Kids animated late 1990's Avengers) and the slightly fuller figure.

In the unlikely event that anyone cares, could we maybe have a discussion about this? Would have to be without politics. Or being offensive. Or writing things I wouldn't want my six-year old daughter to be reading or thinking about. And that Hasbro's Marvel Legends guys could read. Maybe respond to.

Well, whaddaya think? And you, Mr JayC - worth doing?

As someone into pop culture in general, I'd say your second paragraph is widespread amongst American properties nowadays from anecdotal experience.

Magic the Gathering for instance has lost pretty much all "busty" women, and many of them look to pertain to certain mindsets (for example, short, frazzled hair and relatively lithe bodies that, while feminine, don't necessarily evoke the character being female). Not exactly pertinent to your paragraph, but Magic has NOT lost this type of styling for its male characters (Oko from Throne of Eldraine for example).

I will admit I don't read comics now, though I try to keep up on the news about them. It seems Marvel and DC seem to want to make certain readers from social media (Twitter et. al.) happy by making their characters look a certain way, and focusing on certain political and social issues rather than story and character design. Feel free to correct me on this though if I'm wrong, like I said, I don't read American comics now and haven't for a long time.

Manga and Anime, on the other hand, don't run afoul of these types of issues, with mangaka (authors of manga) preferring to have the freedom to write and draw how they see fit. This is readily apparent in the wide range of body representations for female characters in manga and anime, as well as with the merchandise for them.

This has also apparently been problematic for certain people in America, however, as I have seen news stories that say sites like Amazon are removing manga and anime merchandise for "being sexually offensive" (quite a few of them are just SH Figuarts figures of school girls in school uniforms).

Again not directly pertaining to your paragraph, but for some additional information, Japan's manga authors definitely seem to be more diverse in general compared to American comics without the goal (like American comic book makers have) of making it diverse.

CLAMP is an all women group of mangaka that have done tons of very popular works like Card Captor Sakura, and I've heard there are many women-driven manga where their artists draw "these" type of women without issue.

Without diving into anything political in respect and deference to your post and this board though, this type of change to portrayal of women arguably seems like a cultural phenomenon for American related media and the vocal "majority" (probably minority) found on the "town-square" of social media.

21 hours ago, Gigantor said:

"...And I'm amused at how wrong all the "we're never getting classic bikini Tigra cuz of PC " crowd was..."

Not to mention:

The ones that claimed we'd never see the buxom Ms. Marvel/Gamora/Moonstone/Rogue body type again...and then Rogue was in Target. 

Or the ones that said it was "impossible" to get double jointed elbows on female figures...even thought Rescue, Quantum suit Black Widow, and Proxima Midnight already had them. 

Or the ones that say this or that figure would never go in this or that wave, 'cause they're not "related", and then we get an Ultron in an Iron Man wave instead of Avengers. 

Or the ones that said Disney/Hasbro would never do a Mephisto or "devil" type figure 'cause its too much like "satan"....and we get Surtur.

Sadly, there are a  lot of guys on the forum that like to act like they have info and knowledge you don't have. As if they have some direct line to the Hasbro team and have their finger on the pulse, when they don't. Worse, is when they spew out this stuff as if it were fact, and then when we ask for some sourcing, they can't do it...but still maintain their bs anyway.

'Cause goodness knows, they can't ever be wrong. Even when they are. 

Hasbro won't ever complete the Inhumans 'cause of some crappy tv show did so poorly? You'll never get vehicles like the Punisher van? No interest in this or that character because its not attached to some movie? Hasbro retired the Moonstone buck? Bull.

Bottom line, unless you hear it from Hasbro themselves, dont treat it like fact. 

12 hours ago, leokearon said:

But this version of Iceman has a mouth, so what would that make him

LOL this page has shown that some people didn't even know AOA Iceman from the books *didn't* have a mouth. Others still thought that this AOA Iceman action figure *has* a mouth. Many people kitbash together characters, you see people reusing that White Rabbit torso for White Queen and even left out the watch.

You actually think people won't pose this figure on their 616 shelf because of something that they themselves didn't even see or that they didn't notice?

6 hours ago, Chunkylover said:

That's a great idea!

It's nice when you can do a quick and easy custom figure.

Finally a good use for that dumb Deadpool figure 😛  Still can't believe we are missing key X-men characters and Hasbro is scraping the barrel coming up with Deadpool variants. Well I can believe it actually lol

3 minutes ago, enzosaurusrex said:

LOL this page has shown that some people didn't even know AOA Iceman from the books *didn't* have a mouth. Others still thought that this AOA Iceman action figure *has* a mouth. Many people kitbash together characters, you see people reusing that White Rabbit torso for White Queen and even left out the watch.

You actually think people won't pose this figure on their 616 shelf because of something that they themselves didn't even see or that they didn't notice?

Finally a good use for that dumb Deadpool figure 😛  Still can't believe we are missing key X-men characters and Hasbro is scraping the barrel coming up with Deadpool variants. Well I can believe it actually lol

Oh, this will probably will be my 616 Iceman.

They scrape the barrel with Deadpool variants because he's an A-list property they know will sell, allowing him to act as an anchor. Same with Captain America, Spider-Man, Iron Man and Wolverine, who get similar complaints of overexposure. 

I get why some fans are sick of those characters, but as long as they allow for deeper cuts that likely can't carry a wave to be slotted in, I'm all good with the arrangement. 

27 minutes ago, watanabefan said:

Yeah it gets absurd with stuff like pantsless Deadpool.

Tbh, as long as I can continue to get these "absurd" Deadpools on clearance (eventually) and continue to build amazing and much-needed "deep cuts" like Sauron, Strong Guy and Sasquatch, I'm not going to complain too much.

Hasbro people know EXACTLY what they're doing lol They give DP the awesome and essential X-men BAFs and the X-men waves get roided out Caliban (my Caliban has always been waif-thin Morlock).

8 hours ago, LandoTucker said:

Rogue. Hips, yeah.

spacer.pngspacer.png
That’s how she was drawn during this event. They went out of their way to use what appear to me to be brand new legs specifically to capture her body type as originally drawn.

8 hours ago, LandoTucker said:

We've been here a few times before, but I'm sitting here looking at 2021 HoX Jean Grey - a whole new sculpt. I hate to say this, but I have a whole bunch of issues with it.

That Jean toy is the worst X-Men figure made in the modern era, and it’s not even close (she de-throned Jim Lee Rogue, the previous clear worst), but I’m not sure what that has to do with what you want to talk about. It’s a bad toy because its skirt stops it from properly standing or having any range of motion in its legs, it’s wearing flats cast all in yellow to give the half-assed illusion of being the bottom part of otherwise painted-on boots, it has a stupid looking wisp of hair over the mask that doesn’t make any sense, and the torso design also barely allows for any movement, which is compounded by the aforementioned skirt issues and the fact that her hair prevents her head from moving, so she’s effectively a statue with moving arms and no way to stand up. She looks fine, other than the mask hair, though.

7 hours ago, mohipi said:

Magic the Gathering for instance has lost pretty much all "busty" women, and many of them look to pertain to certain mindsets (for example, short, frazzled hair and relatively lithe bodies that, while feminine, don't necessarily evoke the character being female). Not exactly pertinent to your paragraph, but Magic has NOT lost this type of styling for its male characters (Oko from Throne of Eldraine for example).

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png
This is patently false. The above all come from just cards that begin with the letter ‘C’ in Strixhaven, the newest set. What exactly is the complaint again? What Magic has explicitly veered away from is women in chainmail bikinis and the like, the really egregious hyper-sexualized stuff that doesn’t really make any sense. Sure, Oko is a sexy, shirtless man... who is also a hedonist fairie trickster. It makes sense he’d be lounging around looking sexy. There are also scantily clad angels, merfolk, etc., where—again—there’s plausible justification for why they might walk around in various states of undress. Here’s just a few recent examples off the top of my head:

spacer.pngspacer.png

I realize that Linvala art is a few years old, but that’s a 2020 reprinting of it, and here’s another 2020 Linvala that seems relevant.

spacer.png
My point is that Magic, like Marvel, isn’t trying to deprive anyone of depictions of sexy people of any gender. They’re just trying to depict a more realistic diversity of people and bodies, within the relevant contexts of fantasy wizards/warriors/monsters and super heroes, respectively, without resorting to cheap and exploitative sexual pandering, which is what much (read: not all) cheesecake is.

7 hours ago, mohipi said:

I will admit I don't read comics now, though I try to keep up on the news about them. It seems Marvel and DC seem to want to make certain readers from social media (Twitter et. al.) happy by making their characters look a certain way, and focusing on certain political and social issues rather than story and character design. Feel free to correct me on this though if I'm wrong, like I said, I don't read American comics now and haven't for a long time.

Sure, Marvel is working to appeal more to a wider variety of potential readers. American comics have been written primarily by straight white men throughout most of their history, and people tend to write what they know and what they like, so Marvel has historically been a mostly white universe, full of male bodies for straight men to idolize, and female bodies for straight men to lust after. Unfortunately, half the world’s population is female, most of it is non-white, and quite a lot of it is LGBTQ+. People also read what they know, and they want to identify with characters. There are lots of ways to do that, but one thing that serves as an easy and obvious bridge (in other words, the literal least you can do as an inclusive creator) to get people to identify with your characters is to have characters that look like them. Marvel has dramatically scaled back its sexualization of female characters because it wants female readers. So, yeah, they’re vying for new readership, but not by way of pandering to mouthpieces on Twitter. Half the mouthpieces on Twitter (and arguably he more rabid and aggressive half) are calling for exactly the opposite of what they’re trying to do, after all. They’re doing some really simple math and seeing that pandering to straight white boys isn’t paying the bills anymore, so they’re hiring a wider diversity of creators, and trying their best to represent a wider diversity of interests. There’s honestly nothing benevolent, woke, PC, empathic, admirable, hateful, or whatever other social or political buzzword you want to use, about it. They’ve identified a business shortcoming and are implementing a business solution.

I can’t speak to the state of DC or manga, as I don’t read or keep up with either of them, but I will say that manga certainly appears way less diverse to me as an outsider looking in, so perhaps you just don’t have a large enough sample size on comics either.

7 hours ago, Atlantis said:

Not to mention:

The ones that claimed we'd never see the buxom Ms. Marvel/Gamora/Moonstone/Rogue body type again...and then Rogue was in Target. 

Or the ones that said it was "impossible" to get double jointed elbows on female figures...even thought Rescue, Quantum suit Black Widow, and Proxima Midnight already had them. 

Or the ones that say this or that figure would never go in this or that wave, 'cause they're not "related", and then we get an Ultron in an Iron Man wave instead of Avengers. 

Or the ones that said Disney/Hasbro would never do a Mephisto or "devil" type figure 'cause its too much like "satan"....and we get Surtur.

Sadly, there are a  lot of guys on the forum that like to act like they have info and knowledge you don't have. As if they have some direct line to the Hasbro team and have their finger on the pulse, when they don't. Worse, is when they spew out this stuff as if it were fact, and then when we ask for some sourcing, they can't do it...but still maintain their bs anyway.

'Cause goodness knows, they can't ever be wrong. Even when they are. 

Hasbro won't ever complete the Inhumans 'cause of some crappy tv show did so poorly? You'll never vehicles like the Punisher van? No interest in this or that character because its not attached to some movie? Hasbro retired the Moonstone buck? Bull.

Bottom line, unless you hear it from Hasbro themselves, dont treat it like fact. 

You pretty much described the PC crowd. They know who they are. I would hate for them to run an action figure company. We'd have no way of knowing who is what & what is who!