Hasbro Marvel Legends Fan-Thursday May 27 Live-Stream Coverage

JayC

1 minute ago, Gigantor said:

You pretty much described the PC crowd. They know who they are. I would hate for them to run an action figure company. We'd have no way of knowing who is what & what is who!

I would've sworn he described the other side of the PC crowd... complaining and pretending those figures would never get made because of some deal with Disney prohibiting it. What would I know, right? I only read what's written here. 

15 minutes ago, Benn said:

Unfortunately, half the world’s population is female, most of it is non-white, and quite a lot of it is LGBTQ+. People also read what they know, and they want to identify with characters.

I wouldn't call like 1.5% of the US population that is LGBTQTRX as "Quite a lot" And let's say it's 5%, that means the other 95% is straight, you really gonna stand there & tell me that Marvel is gonna pander to a very minute minority at the expense of their much larger fan base? If anything, I see comic sales at Marvel declining & titles that pander to that minority base getting cancelled left & right. And regardless if 50% of the world is female, maybe less than 5% read comics. But hey, if Marvel wants to alienate the vast majority of their fan base to appease the minority at the expense of low sales & cancellations, more power to them. 

50 minutes ago, memocromatico said:

I would've sworn he described the other side of the PC crowd... complaining and pretending those figures would never get made because of some deal with Disney prohibiting it. What would I know, right? I only read what's written here. 

Yeah, what? I’m pretty sure I’m one of the most vocal “PC” ambassadors here, and I rarely if ever have made claims like those quoted. If anything, I maintain over and over again that Marvel and Hasbro aren’t adhering to some sort of conspiracy to pander to particular demographics, and that it’s specifically the “not pandering solely to straight white men anymore” that often ruffles so many feathers and leads to so much speculation about there being rules they’re socially obligated to follow.

42 minutes ago, Gigantor said:

I wouldn't call like 1.5% of the US population that is LGBTQTRX as "Quite a lot" And let's say it's 5%, that means the other 95% is straight, you really gonna stand there & tell me that Marvel is gonna pander to a very minute minority at the expense of their much larger fan base? If anything, I see comic sales at Marvel declining & titles that pander to that minority base getting cancelled left & right. And regardless if 50% of the world is female, maybe less than 5% read comics. But hey, if Marvel wants to alienate the vast majority of their fan base to appease the minority at the expense of low sales & cancellations, more power to them. 

It may be 1.5% where you live, but it’s closer to 25% where I live, and the Gallup poll in 2017 put it at 4.5% of adults in the US, with this year’s poll increasing that number to 5.6%, but—again—that’s just adults. I’m not sure how many teenagers you know, but kids today are way more likely to identify as LGBTQ+ than any previous generation. It’s a rapidly increasing demographic. And all of that is more or less irrelevant anyway, because I wasn’t talking about pandering to the LGBTQ+ crowd, I was talking about pandering less to the specifically straight white male crowd. Marvel’s calculation is two-fold: 1) there are way more people in the world who are not straight white men (by which I mean all of the above, not just any one of those characteristics) than who are, so pandering specifically to them is a stupid idea. This is a mathematical certainty. And 2) comics readership isn’t a zero-sum game. To attract women and non-white readers, they don’t have to lose all their straight white men, only the ones who insist on framing everything as “if it’s not just for me, then it’s not for me”. If fewer than 5% of women read comics, then that’s a huge market for them to expand into, isn’t it? If having some women be less sexualized than the historical average, and having a bit more racial diversity and LGBTQ+ representation in the books—on top of still having literal thousands of super ripped straight white male characters—means they’re no longer for you, that says a lot more about you than it does Marvel.

1 hour ago, Gigantor said:

I love how the "muh comics/shows/movies" people make it easy to see how seriously they want to be taken by how much they misspell "LGBTQ." Saves the trouble reading when you can instantly see where they stand by just that.

54 minutes ago, memocromatico said:

Yep, there wasn't any "agenda" driving my post. As I stated, and I'll thumbnail: opinion is not Fact. Unless you heard it from the Hasbro (or Disney) team themselves, don't say they won't do this or that figure for this/ that reason. 

9 hours ago, Benn said:

Yeah, what? I’m pretty sure I’m one of the most vocal “PC” ambassadors here, and I rarely if ever have made claims like those quoted. If anything, I maintain over and over again that Marvel and Hasbro aren’t adhering to some sort of conspiracy to pander to particular demographics, and that it’s specifically the “not pandering solely to straight white men anymore” that often ruffles so many feathers and leads to so much speculation about there being rules they’re socially obligated to follow.

It may be 1.5% where you live, but it’s closer to 25% where I live, and the Gallup poll in 2017 put it at 4.5% of adults in the US, with this year’s poll increasing that number to 5.6%, but—again—that’s just adults. I’m not sure how many teenagers you know, but kids today are way more likely to identify as LGBTQ+ than any previous generation. It’s a rapidly increasing demographic. And all of that is more or less irrelevant anyway, because I wasn’t talking about pandering to the LGBTQ+ crowd, I was talking about pandering less to the specifically straight white male crowd. Marvel’s calculation is two-fold: 1) there are way more people in the world who are not straight white men (by which I mean all of the above, not just any one of those characteristics) than who are, so pandering specifically to them is a stupid idea. This is a mathematical certainty. And 2) comics readership isn’t a zero-sum game. To attract women and non-white readers, they don’t have to lose all their straight white men, only the ones who insist on framing everything as “if it’s not just for me, then it’s not for me”. If fewer than 5% of women read comics, then that’s a huge market for them to expand into, isn’t it? If having some women be less sexualized than the historical average, and having a bit more racial diversity and LGBTQ+ representation in the books—on top of still having literal thousands of super ripped straight white male characters—means they’re no longer for you, that says a lot more about you than it does Marvel.

I kinda think it is a zero-sum game though, simply based on the economics - seems like there are very few people getting into comics simply because they are prohibitively expensive relative to other forms of entertainment, except perhaps via marvel unlimited, and i'm not sure the low subscription price there is really enough to pay creators.  One reason why, as you pointed out in an earlier post, marvel increasingly recycles famous storylines to appeal to their aging fanbase. 

Not going to delve much into gay representation in comics, except to say it probably partially reflects both a genuine desire on marvel creator's behalf to incorporate such characters into their work, as well as a desire to avoid getting chastised on social media for lack of diversity.  If we view the comics as an incubator for ideas to be used in movies/tv, i'm not sure that we can expect too many gay characters to make the leap given opposition from China and other places (including a subset of U.S. viewers).   I'm not privy to numbers to the degree that i can tell whether including gay characters helps the bottom line, but i doubt it really hurts comic sales all that much and certainly including such characters is very important to LGBTQ readers, even if they only constitute a small portion of readership. And its not like the comics are running out of straight characters.

also - Philadelphia is 25% gay?? i would not have guessed that.  City of brotherly love, indeed

1 hour ago, RyanDaly said:

Dan Yun tweeted an hour ago that there is still more May reveals coming soon. Monday is the 31st. Do we think this will be the official Eternals wave release, or possibly something else, like a typical one-off fan channel exclusive? 

Figures crossed for more Retro and Avenger comic figures

25 minutes ago, tarot said:

Awesome! I love the Morlocks. Hopefully Hasbro will abandon their ill-considered plans for an Excalibur box set that nobody wants and give us a six figure Morlock set that literally everyone has been demanding. 

19 minutes ago, enzosaurusrex said:

Pet peeve: I wish she was flat-chested lol The one time Hasbro...the one time!

😆

9 minutes ago, RyanDaly said:

Awesome! I love the Morlocks. Hopefully Hasbro will abandon their ill-considered plans for an Excalibur box set that nobody wants and give us a six figure Morlock set that literally everyone has been demanding. 

Blasphemy! Get him!

But in all fairness, I think this, caliban and maybe a marrow later down the line will be all we get from the morlocks. They haven't been relevant since they were killed off. I have been wrong before though.

2 minutes ago, tarot said:

I think this, caliban and maybe a marrow later down the line will be all we get from the morlocks. They haven't been relevant since they were killed off. I have been wrong before though.

Yeah, I don't anticipate ever seeing Masque, Beautiful Dreamer, Sunder, and the like (Leech? Maaaaybe.) but I've always had a soft spot for this weird subgroup. A box set is the only way we'd ever get some of these characters, because individually they are the worst peg warmers you can imagine.

spacer.png

6 minutes ago, RyanDaly said:

Yeah, I don't anticipate ever seeing Masque, Beautiful Dreamer, Sunder, and the like (Leech? Maaaaybe.) but I've always had a soft spot for this weird subgroup. 

spacer.png

Love that pic! 

With how the distribution of X-Men vs Deadpool waves have worked out, I can see an X-Men wave getting a Sunder and the Deadpool wave getting...Blob. And you have to buy 5 Deadpools to get Fred Dukes lol

On 5/27/2021 at 8:05 AM, tarot said:

"...Tigra.....NUFF Said!! Freaking Tigra. In her classic costume..."

I'm really hoping they knock it out the park with Tigra. There's so many ways they could mess it up, but techniques have improved leaps and bounds over the last time she was made into a figure. High hopes.

Also hope we'll see a WCA classic Mockingbird soon after. As I pointed out a while back, the sleeves on Lady Deathstrike show us it can be done. And I still want Wonder Man! I know he wore the black shirt/big red "W" outfit with the WCA, but the figure from the Abomination wave was too small for my tastes. I want that Ionic version, the red safari jacket outfit, and the original green/red outfit.

• 3 months later...