Marvel Comics Presents The Death Of Doctor Strange

JayC

Huh. I'll give this a go. I found last year's Doctor Strange entry in Marvel's The End series to be a pretty decent read. I'm curious if they intend to expand on that, or if this is a different tale altogether. I'm guessing the latter. As I understand it, those The End comics are only "possible" endings for certain characters, so not necessarily in continuity, as it were. Besides, reading about how Stephen Strange ends up where that story begins doesn't sound very epic. Not to besmirch it, or anything. Like I say, it was a pleasant read.

3 hours ago, MagnaPrime said:

Yeah right.  They're gonna kill him with a movie about to come out.  Wolverine had a better chance of staying dead.

Bare in mind, they made Cap a Nazi during his 80th anniversary and during a big movie release.

Still even if they do kill Stephen off it wouldn't stick

1 hour ago, michiganjfrog said:

of course he wont stay dead for long but it still may be an interesting story

Oh naturally. When they announced that Johnny Storm would die during Jonathan Hickman's Fantastic Four run, I scoffed at the idea because death in comics is all-but meaningless. The "death scene", though, when I read it, nearly brought me to tears. 

Not gonna lie, whenever they announce a new "Death of..." I always recall Matt Fraction's two cents on the matter:

"[Death in comics is] not real. No one is ever really dead in comics. In comics death is about the resurrection. Characters always come back. That's the story. The story doesn't make the death meaningless. All death in comics is meaningless. It's fiction. It's going to outlive all of us. It's legend and myth. It's the stories that we're going to tell ourselves for years and years. Hercules will forever have his Twelve Labors whether it's my grandfather reading them to me or me reading them to my son. It's that kind of stuff. (...) It's not about a meaningful death. What matters is a meaningful resurrection."

Though honestly I'm hoping maybe he dies and returns in the same story. It's Doctor Strange. he's a character where you can make his own death and escape from it a narrative device for his own story.

What was it they used to call Marvel, the "House of Ideas?" Bet that looks better on a T-shirt than "The House of Hackneyed Cliches."

Seriously, do they expect us to ignore the fact this is the most overused cliche in comics in general, and Marvel comics in particular. Even worse, should they actually have a writer skilled enough to coax some gravitas out of this old chestnut, it'll be completely lost in the fact that it's so stale, mold wouldn't grow on it.

10 hours ago, Gigantor said:

Oh Gawd, calling it now, he's getting replaced by a female to draw in more of the SJW crowd. all major Marvel male characters are gonna get swapped out with female characters....girl power..yay.

Exactly, but at least they're kinda leaving a way back, as nobody stays dead in the Marvel Universe. I'm thinking this is a way they're gonna try and work in the comics version of the MCU Ancient One (cuz, CHYNAAA), who will obviously be better and smarter and more powerful than the original.

4 hours ago, mako said:

What was it they used to call Marvel, the "House of Ideas?" Bet that looks better on a T-shirt than "The House of Hackneyed Cliches."

Seriously, do they expect us to ignore the fact this is the most overused cliche in comics in general, and Marvel comics in particular. Even worse, should they actually have a writer skilled enough to coax some gravitas out of this old chestnut, it'll be completely lost in the fact that it's so stale, mold wouldn't grow on it.

If I remember correctly when Johnny died in F4, Dan Slott wanted to have Spidey even react like Johnny was probably going to come back, but Marvel wouldn't allow him.

Since his first appearance in 1963’s Strange Tales #110 by comic book pioneers Stan Lee and Steve Ditko, Doctor Stephen Strange has protected Earth from mystical threats, interdimensional invasions, and other untold horrors as the Sorcerer Supreme. This September, that ends, and the Marvel Universe will be left defenseless like never before in DEATH OF DOCTOR STRANGE!

Written by Jed MacKay (Black Cat, Moon Knight) with Lee Garbett (Captain Marvel), DEATH OF DOCTOR STRANGE will be a five-issue epic that will tell the final chapter in the life of Doctor Strange. Able to defeat supernatural and interdimensional threats no other hero is equipped to handle, Strange was the only hero standing in the way of powerful new villains eager to claim Earth as their own. When he unexpectedly dies, who is left to protect Earth and keep the mystical evils at bay? And most importantly…who killed Stephen Strange? If he couldn’t stop them, who can? This rousing journey will dive into the mythos behind Doctor Strange, showcasing his unique—and vital—position amongst Marvel’s heroes and ultimately transform the future.

"'What happens to the world if Doctor Strange isn't in it?' It's a question that I'm excited to show people the answer to in DEATH OF DOCTOR STRANGE,” MacKay said. “Strange has been a Marvel fixture from the early days, but now, his time has run out and as a Strange fan, it's been my bittersweet privilege to shepherd him through his last day and the effects that snowball out of it. We've cooked up a whale of a story to send Strange off with, and I can't wait for people to join us on it!"

“Doctor Strange has long been top of my 'most coveted character' list. To finally get chance to draw him in such a momentous series is… well, magic,” Garbett said. “I couldn’t be more excited for the project and for everyone to see what we’ve got in store for Stephen and those closest to him. Jed’s conjured the perfect finale for Doctor Strange - and it’s a real third eye-opener! See you in September!

Discover the mystery behind Doctor Strange’s murder and brace yourself for the repercussions when DEATH OF DOCTOR STRANGE #1 hits stands this September!

DEATH OF DOCTOR STRANGE #1 (OF 5)
Written by JED MACKAY
Art by LEE GARBETT
Cover by KAARE ANDREWS

DRSDEATH2021001_cvr.jpg

"When he unexpectedly dies"? So the story opens with his death. That could check out with my theory that this story might be more about him returning from the dead than him dying.

It's funny to see some of you guys react the way you're reacting. As if Marvel themselves doesn't know death in comics doesn't stick, or that it wouldn't make sense to replace Strange now.

They're probably going to use this series to highlight his importance in the Marvel Universe, and he'll be back after some adventures in the afterlife. This book starts in September. Five issues means it ends in January. Doctor Strange #1 will come out in February to coincide with Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness coming out in March. Collected edition will probably also come out around that time to further cash in on the hype. As easy to predict as 2+2.

22 hours ago, ADour said:

Not gonna lie, whenever they announce a new "Death of..." I always recall Matt Fraction's two cents on the matter:

"[Death in comics is] not real. No one is ever really dead in comics. In comics death is about the resurrection. Characters always come back. That's the story. The story doesn't make the death meaningless. All death in comics is meaningless. It's fiction. It's going to outlive all of us. It's legend and myth. It's the stories that we're going to tell ourselves for years and years. Hercules will forever have his Twelve Labors whether it's my grandfather reading them to me or me reading them to my son. It's that kind of stuff. (...) It's not about a meaningful death. What matters is a meaningful resurrection."

Though honestly I'm hoping maybe he dies and returns in the same story. It's Doctor Strange. he's a character where you can make his own death and escape from it a narrative device for his own story.

What Fraction and his kind miss is that writing a story where the death isn't meaningful, its a cheap and lazy way of telling a story.

No, in comics death is not about resurrection, its about going back to the well to scrape out that last drop of whatever it was that made fans spend $ to go there in the first place.

Marvel has had a number of characters show up in a comic, only to have a fan point out said character was killed off long ago. The embarrassed "writer" then has to come up with some bs explanation....which will bring about a retcon, and then more retcons, and then you're in continuity hell. But if the writer and editors had just done their damn job in the first place, this crap wouldn't have happened. 

They don't bother to ask themselves, "why kill this character off? Is it truly necessary?"  Sure, having the characters always survive, no matter what, takes some of the suspense out of the story. But killing them when you're just gonna bring them back, results in the same thing. 

Bottom line, if Fraction thinks "characters always come back" then whats the point of reading these? Its no longer entertaining. And thats the main point of comic story writing. If you can make people think, put forth a new concept, see things a new way, fine. But above all comics have to Entertain. If the people writing them have this guy's apparent attitude, then comics no longer entertain.

And we no longer will buy them. 

4 hours ago, Atlantis said:

What Fraction and his kind miss is that writing a story where the death isn't meaningful, its a cheap and lazy way of telling a story.

No, in comics death is not about resurrection, its about going back to the well to scrape out that last drop of whatever it was that made fans spend $ to go there in the first place.

Marvel has had a number of characters show up in a comic, only to have a fan point out said character was killed off long ago. The embarrassed "writer" then has to come up with some bs explanation....which will bring about a retcon, and then more retcons, and then you're in continuity hell. But if the writer and editors had just done their damn job in the first place, this crap wouldn't have happened. 

They don't bother to ask themselves, "why kill this character off? Is it truly necessary?"  Sure, having the characters always survive, no matter what, takes some of the suspense out of the story. But killing them when you're just gonna bring them back, results in the same thing. 

Bottom line, if Fraction thinks "characters always come back" then whats the point of reading these? Its no longer entertaining. And thats the main point of comic story writing. If you can make people think, put forth a new concept, see things a new way, fine. But above all comics have to Entertain. If the people writing them have this guy's apparent attitude, then comics no longer entertain.

And we no longer will buy them. 

I don't see how what you're saying necessarily contrasts or even relates to the point Fraction is making in his quote, and I think you're also misconstruing what he means when he calls death meaningless. He doesn't meant a death can't be well-crafted, emotional or impactful. He means that it's inherently meaningless because of the nature of stories. From a meta level. What he says is a slippery slope, since you can take that to the logical extreme that nothing in the stories matter, or that nothing at all matters, but let's not go there since it's not where he is headed either.

His quote also refers to the specific death of bigger characters, not your D-Men or Rages who do get the treatment of "oh man, we forgot we killed them off." And in the quote he answers your question of what's the point of reading comics if "characters always come back," which is exactly what you say. The point of reading comics if characters always come back is if their resurrection is meangingful, which should encapsulate the kind of thing you're thinking about when you say it's fine if it can make people think, put forth a new concept, etc. He calls for meaningul resurrections not resurrections period, and doesn't that kind resonate with what you're saying? Aren't you also calling for meaningfulness?

And I think there is a high chance this Death of Doctor Strange is going to be an example of that. The book will most definitely not just be about Doctor Strange dying (I mean, the press release outright says he dies right in the beginning), and the meat of the book will not be just that he's dead. I'd rather analyze the book after it comes out, but I trust in Jed MacKay in writing and Lee Garbett in penciling the journey of Strange as he comes back to life, which I trust will make people think, put fortha  new concept, etc.

On 6/7/2021 at 12:47 PM, Gigantor said:

Oh Gawd, calling it now, he's getting replaced by a female to draw in more of the SJW crowd. all major Marvel male characters are gonna get swapped out with female characters....girl power..yay.

I agree with you, what makes the 'current' comic runs of our beloved characters messed up are those SJW...can they just run the basic back? Marvel is earning from merchandise and movies..that least fan service they can give is a good old hulk smashing everyone regardless of gender or orientation or whatever....Marvel pls just bring back dr strange to life, don't change the gender or make him a rock.

I mean it’s obvious he’s gonna come back, he’s just not gonna be Sorcerer Supreme anymore for a while, and there’s gonna be a new temp one, and he’ll be it again and he’s gonna lose it again to someone else, it’s just a trend with him  

5 hours ago, RoMe00150 said:

Eh death in comics has been meaningless since Superman came back if you ask me. That's when writers realized you can pretty much kill anyone off and bring em back 

Since before that when They brought back Jean Grey in the 80s. I just yawn whenever I see  "the death of so & so" in a upcoming comic series. They suckered me with the "death of Superman", never again. 

7 hours ago, Bluecomet said:

I agree with you, what makes the 'current' comic runs of our beloved characters messed up are those SJW...can they just run the basic back?

You... you do realize push for legacy characters has been rolled back for years, right? Tony Stark, Steve Rogers, Thor, Bruce Banner and Logan are all the main Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, Hulk and Wolverine, respectively. And Immortal Hulk starring Bruce Banner has been one of the most critically acclaimed books in recent history, where he does smash people.

To be fair, Laura and Logan are both going by Wolverine now (well, in X-Men she's going by Wolverine, while in Fallen Angels she was relatively concurrently going by X-23 while also complaining she wanted to get out of Logan's shadow), the same way Peter and Miles are (I think, still) both Spider-Man, but that doesn't really diminish your point. The bad-faith posturing is real.

I'm up for this; but I think one way or another a certain crowd of comic fan will complain. Most of Stephen's possible successors aren't straight white males; Magik, Clea, Scarlet Witch, Brother Voodoo, Wiccan, etc. or they could throw a curveball and do Loki or Enchantress.

Personally, I'd like to see it be Magik. The way her being Sorceress Supreme could tie into the X-Men and Krakoa intrigues me greatly.

1 hour ago, Dabboi said:

I'm up for this; but I think one way or another a certain crowd of comic fan will complain. Most of Stephen's possible successors aren't straight white males; Magik, Clea, Scarlet Witch, Brother Voodoo, Wiccan, etc. or they could throw a curveball and do Loki or Enchantress.

Personally, I'd like to see it be Magik. The way her being Sorceress Supreme could tie into the X-Men and Krakoa intrigues me greatly.

Personally I could see it being either Wanda or Magik. In universe Wanda is Strange's back-up if he's not available; he has it on his door that if he's not available to call Wanda. Magik served as Strange's apprentice during Bendis's X-men run.