Idea: Marvel Legends 20th Anniversary Figures?

Dabboi

So, next year is the 20th anniversary of the Marvel Legends line and I'm curious if you think Hasbro will do some sort of "Retro" wave to commemorate that.

I think it'd be cool if they did some sort of "Deluxe" releases of Wave 1 with the comics and stands but that may be too much to ask for.

Also wouldn't be opposed if they just did some of the figures that thus far ONLY Toybiz has made; like Toad for example

77.thumb.jpg.25438ebbba3b193e1dac1389aced34e4.jpg

There is too many "anniversaries" these days but I wouldn't say no to an line of remakes based on Marvel Legends. 

BUT it will more then likely be a Spider-man based line because of the anniversary of Raimi's movies, particularly IF Maguire and Garfeild are in No way home.

I'd put money on Toad getting a release next year, but not sure if they'll try to recreate the entirety of the original wave 1 (beyond, you know, the obligatory several Iron Men and Captains America that will no doubt see release anyway). I'm not sure I recognize what version of Toad that original figure was even meant to represent, but I do hope they don't specifically try to recreate that look. I know everyone has their favourite era, but I'm personally hoping for his skinny 90s look.

21 minutes ago, Benn said:

I'd put money on Toad getting a release next year, but not sure if they'll try to recreate the entirety of the original wave 1 (beyond, you know, the obligatory several Iron Men and Captains America that will no doubt see release anyway). I'm not sure I recognize what version of Toad that original figure was even meant to represent, but I do hope they don't specifically try to recreate that look. I know everyone has their favourite era, but I'm personally hoping for his skinny 90s look.

it was toybiz so it was meant to represent his classic costume. It was only slotted into the first series because Thor wasn't ready and they needed a replacement. They had plans to release a 2-pack with the first X-men movies Toad but since that was cancelled they used this instead.

on a similar the first ML Wolverine (the one with Hellfire guard stand) was the same.

I think it could be cool if they did a new spin on this 1st wave for a 20th Anniversary, they could release them in similiar style Packaging, with the comic cover as the actual card back, give us 80th Cap with new classic lighter colors, 80th Iron Man with classic non metallic colors (like AI Iron Man), 80th Hulk but with alt colors alt head, and a brand new Toad. I think people would dig it, but do I think they will do this, I have low hopes, do I think we could see the whole Raimi spider-man move thing, Yes, people really want that and I know Hasbro heard them, do I personally want to see Raimi spider-man figures, hell to da no, I'd rather them pay homage to the dawn of Legends but hey maybe a bit of both.

I don't think they should stick to the first wave- I think they shoudl do "tribute" figures to various "Legends" figures released throughout ToyBiz' run. The clamshell packaging is way too much plastic for Hasbro to use these days, but I'm sure they could find a cool way to make the packaging resemble the ToyBiz packaging with much less plastic. I agree that a focus on re-doing figures that only Toy Biz has made would be cool, and/or some of the more unique Toy Biz ones, as well as obligatory mian characters. Some good choices, in the outfits their Toy Biz figures were wearing, would be:

-Black Panther
-Wasp (red and black)
-Iron Fist
-Power Man Luke Cage
-Cable
-Phasing Vision
-Classic Ant Man (NOT on that weird, long-necked body)
-Toad

And the obligatory Cap, Iron Man, Hulk, and Wolverine. 

This would be a cool, fun line. It'd be cool if they all came with unique display stands, but that's probably wishful thinking if they do more than a handful of different figures. Comics would be nice, as long as they won't dramatically increase the cost of the figures.

I think a wave dedicated to all, like another Iron Man wave, a Cap wave, Hulk wave, X-Wave

Iron Man wave:

Pointy Helmet IM

Back to Basics Iron Man 

Century

Rescue MK III armor

Mandarin

Red Widow 

Extremis Iron Man 

BAF: Controller

Cap Wave:

Light Blue Cap

US Agent

Sin

Patriot (Eli Bradley) 

Diamondback 

Human Torch (Jim Hammond)

Dum Dum Dugan

BAF: Armadillo

Hulk wave: 

Dr. Bruce Banner

Absorbing Man

Titania

World Breaker Hulk

Gargoyle

Doc Samson

BAF: Korg

X-Wave:

Toad

Monet (DoX)

Angel

Avalanche

Vulcan

Deathbird

Exodus

BAF: Blob

Also more multipacks like Face-Off or just characters that go together :

Destiny & Mystique

White Tigers (Hector & Angela)

Marrina & Talisman

Satana & Daimon Hellstrom

Justice, Speedball, Silhouette, Namorita

Ka-Zar, Shanna, Zabu, Matt Plunder & Dax 

Crystal & Lockjaw 

Riders:

Danny Ketch Ghost Rider

Hawkeye

Those early ToyBiz releases are full of Caps Iron Men’s, Wolverines, you’d run the risk of people complaining that they make too many Caps, Iron Men’s, and Wolverines...

Hasbro does love them some anniversaries so anything is possible.. maybe they could homage the original ToyBiz releases in that worthless Retro line.. less plastic for those tiny things.

im in for classic characters so if this were an avenue for Hasbro to get more out I would be game..

10 hours ago, McHogan said:

Those early ToyBiz releases are full of Caps Iron Men’s, Wolverines, you’d run the risk of people complaining that they make too many Caps, Iron Men’s, and Wolverines...

Hasbro does love them some anniversaries so anything is possible.. maybe they could homage the original ToyBiz releases in that worthless Retro line.. less plastic for those tiny things.

im in for classic characters so if this were an avenue for Hasbro to get more out I would be game..

Agree with this wholeheartedly. Everyone complains of the endless droves of IM, Caps, Wolvies, Spidies and now Deadpool and Venom, myself included, but we all can understand that they are a necessary evil. These are the legacy characters, and in the case of DP and Venom, the exceptional breakout surprises. We all know Marvel or DC have not come up with a novel character in centuries, regardless of how much they try to convince us of how creative the new crop of writers are. The biggest reaction these hacks get is when they make a major change to one of these major characters (good or bad) and it's all orchestrated so they can back track if they need to and grab an even bigger reaction once they change them back.

That being said, Hasbro is going to need these characters even more as the MCU enters it's so called 4th phase. There is no way in hayell characters like the Eternals, Captain Marvel, and Kate Bishop are gonna be able to helm the ship no matter how bad they try to shame us into it. That's why the future of the MCU looks so drab. Nobody recognizes a damn person in it. That's why they had to proceed to turn Falcon, who was already a well established, well liked, well respected, and well done character with his own identity, into Captain America, even though it had been considered an overall failure in the comics. And he was actually pretty funny and clever well enjoyed being a hero at one time. All the social engineering aspects of it aside, they're just trying to make some sort of connection to the MCU that once was and tried to disguise it as Social responsibility in order to convince us why we MUST love it. Yes, Fiege is a magician and he has a way of making things work out, but I promise you, I guarantee you, if they are able to get half the success with either F4 or the X-Men (or both) that they did with the original Avengers, this whole Young Avengers, New Avengers, Alt Avengers, New Heroes, ANAD BS thing will get put on the back burner ASAP, or at least be relegated to support characters status. What sells are the classics, when ideas were good and fun and original. Of course, they'll still do the standard Disney PC/SJW makeover, but will always fall back on what truly works when the green starts to dry up.

Hasbro on the other hand, is in the toy business. They know what works and what doesn't. You can't tell me that someone at Hasbro didn't know how bad the Star Wars Black figures based on the new "Sequels" were gonna be flops. As a company they knew they had to get some good stuff from the classics into the lines to make them sell. Like I said, it's not Hasbro's responsibility to sell the toys once the retailers get them, but as a whole it's their responsibility to make products that the retailers want to stock. So on one hand the retailers think the current movies on the market and their tie in products are the big ticket item, but the people in the know (Hasbro) understand that the products based on the older projects, the ones that were good and people actually liked, are gonna drive the sales, and ultimately give the retailers the perception that that toy line is profitable and marketable and worth buying and stocking again.

The same goes with Marvel. They need to stay current, meaning movies and tie in products, and they need to go with what works. Up to this point the properties like IM, and Cap and Hulk and Spidey have been one and the same, but as the MCU moves into it's next phase, Hasbro knows they're still gonna need the "Old Guys" to help drive sales so those Old Guys ain't going nowhere anytime soon.

24 minutes ago, monron999 said:

Agree with this wholeheartedly. Everyone complains of the endless droves of IM, Caps, Wolvies, Spidies and now Deadpool and Venom, myself included, but we all can understand that they are a necessary evil. These are the legacy characters, and in the case of DP and Venom, the exceptional breakout surprises. We all know Marvel or DC have not come up with a novel character in centuries, regardless of how much they try to convince us of how creative the new crop of writers are. The biggest reaction these hacks get is when they make a major change to one of these major characters (good or bad) and it's all orchestrated so they can back track if they need to and grab an even bigger reaction once they change them back.

That being said, Hasbro is going to need these characters even more as the MCU enters it's so called 4th phase. There is no way in hayell characters like the Eternals, Captain Marvel, and Kate Bishop are gonna be able to helm the ship no matter how bad they try to shame us into it. That's why the future of the MCU looks so drab. Nobody recognizes a damn person in it. That's why they had to proceed to turn Falcon, who was already a well established, well liked, well respected, and well done character with his own identity, into Captain America, even though it had been considered an overall failure in the comics. And he was actually pretty funny and clever well enjoyed being a hero at one time. All the social engineering aspects of it aside, they're just trying to make some sort of connection to the MCU that once was and tried to disguise it as Social responsibility in order to convince us why we MUST love it. Yes, Fiege is a magician and he has a way of making things work out, but I promise you, I guarantee you, if they are able to get half the success with either F4 or the X-Men (or both) that they did with the original Avengers, this whole Young Avengers, New Avengers, Alt Avengers, New Heroes, ANAD BS thing will get put on the back burner ASAP, or at least be relegated to support characters status. What sells are the classics, when ideas were good and fun and original. Of course, they'll still do the standard Disney PC/SJW makeover, but will always fall back on what truly works when the green starts to dry up.

Hasbro on the other hand, is in the toy business. They know what works and what doesn't. You can't tell me that someone at Hasbro didn't know how bad the Star Wars Black figures based on the new "Sequels" were gonna be flops. As a company they knew they had to get some good stuff from the classics into the lines to make them sell. Like I said, it's not Hasbro's responsibility to sell the toys once the retailers get them, but as a whole it's their responsibility to make products that the retailers want to stock. So on one hand the retailers think the current movies on the market and their tie in products are the big ticket item, but the people in the know (Hasbro) understand that the products based on the older projects, the ones that were good and people actually liked, are gonna drive the sales, and ultimately give the retailers the perception that that toy line is profitable and marketable and worth buying and stocking again.

The same goes with Marvel. They need to stay current, meaning movies and tie in products, and they need to go with what works. Up to this point the properties like IM, and Cap and Hulk and Spidey have been one and the same, but as the MCU moves into it's next phase, Hasbro knows they're still gonna need the "Old Guys" to help drive sales so those Old Guys ain't going nowhere anytime soon.

You think so?

6 hours ago, monron999 said:

Agree most of these 3rd and 4th tier MCU characters that are being pushed as the “stars” will be quickly discarded once Disney  moves on to the A plus franchises like FF, XMen and However they continue with the Avengers. It’s never been more obvious that the Eternals, Shang Chi and most of the D+ stuff is transitional until they get back to WELL RECEIVED blockbusters.

Falcon as Cap will be interesting with how they proceed. As Falcon, Sam had a great arc until the shoe horned him into the Cap role. I immensely enjoyed his transformation from Falcon to Cap but the end result was underwhelming. His big speech at the end with all the cameras rolling I think was meant to cement his new title but it came off as forced, heavy handed and a little to on the nose. Like any government can be shamed so easily.  And despite Mackies desire to play Cap for 20 years or whatever he stated, if he makes it that long I guarantee he won’t be the only Cap in the MCU. And Chris Evans had the best run in the entire MCU, aside from maybe Downey Jr, I’d hate to try to follow that. He’s kind of set up to fail. 

The last thing I can add is that there is a reason why the Caps, Iron Men’s, and Wolverines are always the stars of movies, cartoons and Tv.. longevity and their fan base

1 hour ago, GrtWhiteCustoms said:

Just for the record...this is how I picture the Toad

tumblr_n8j3zxLMIq1s2u4wdo1_640.jpg

This is what I’m after:spacer.png

I just can’t get into 60s X-Men stories or art at all, so the original Brotherhood doesn’t do anything for me. I’m after Mystique’s Brotherhood from the 70s and 80s, and Toad’s Brotherhood from the 90s.

10 hours ago, GrtWhiteCustoms said:

8 hours ago, Benn said:

I just can’t get into 60s X-Men stories or art at all, so the original Brotherhood doesn’t do anything for me. I’m after Mystique’s Brotherhood from the 70s and 80s, and Toad’s Brotherhood from the 90s.

I could go for something in between 😄 

The Marvel Classic Figurines Collection : Toad (Groxo)

18 hours ago, GrtWhiteCustoms said:

17 hours ago, Benn said:

8 hours ago, MODADDYDODOK said:

I could go for something in between 😄 

The Marvel Classic Figurines Collection : Toad (Groxo)

That's where I was going with this, but you stated it perfectly. Somewhere between loser and poser lies the potential psychopath, and this hits the spot.

Retro Toybiz celebration is a cool idea. I'd love it if they would go back, WAY back to the Golden Age and give us the Timely/Marvel characters that started it all. At the very least we should have Sub-Mariner, Human Torch, Captain America with his first shield. 

Bucky, Toro, Original Vision, Miss America, Whizzer, Red Raven, Destroyer, Blazing Skull, Namora.