Build a Better Box Set

RyanDaly

So the Amazon exclusive Wolverine box set was revealed and met with... let's say some mixed feelings from folks here. In general, it seems like people were pretty excited with two, maybe three of the figures, but unenthusiastic about paying more money for unwanted figures that were mostly repaints. I'm frankly fascinated at how it seems like each of the five figures (Wolverine, Callisto, Wyngarde, Cyber, and Omega Red) was somebody's favorite, but nobody liked all five. It also seems pretty obvious that Hasbro did this as a cost-saving measure, and given how the past year played havoc with a lot of businesses and revenue streams, I can't say I blame them for doing it.

That got me thinking, if we could do basically the same thing with nearly the same restrictions, how could we improve on it? Thus, this thought exercise: Build a (Barely) Better Box Set than the Wolverine set announced last week.

Here are the terms:

• Five figures
  • There must be a common theme linking them; however, they CANNOT all be teammates. For example, they can all be mutants or X-Men adjacent characters, but not all Generation X members. This isn't your chance to build an Inhumans box set, or the Starjammers, or the Masters of Evil, or 30th century Guardians of the Galaxy, or whatever. You could, however do a new Captain America and four Cap-related villains. 
  • At least one hero
  • At least one villain
  • At least one female
  • Only ONE figure can be 100% brand new sculpt
  • One figure must be 100% redeco of an existing figure
  • The three remaining figures should be partially composed of reused parts

Okay, what would your slightly better box set be?

I’m gonna get greedy, and just knock out most of my top wants here.

• Destiny: Three-pack Scarlet Witch body
  • Magik: Dani Moonstar with an armoured arm (probably exists, but would have to do some research) and new head; even the sword can come from the Walgreens Magik
  • Psylocke (Outback): maybe also Scarlet Witch torso, with shoulder pads built into the cloak; her arms and legs could probably be reused from somewhere else too, but I’d have to do some thinking
  • Spiral: all-new sculpt
  • Storm: Jim Lee remake in silver this time

I thought about ditching Psylocke in favour of Tempo, for a loose time/prophecy theme, but couldn’t figure out what to do with Storm’s spot, since Tempus, Blindfold, etc., would all require some new sculpting. Maybe Velocidad or a new version of Legion wouldn’t, but I kinda liked keeping it all women. Also, who am I kidding? Outback Psylocke was gonna make the cut for me.

I'm going to make a box set I wish existed, Moon Knight box set.

- Mr. Knight  - uses the suit buck of course you can imagine how easy this is

- Werewolf By Night - uses Jackal buck, virtually same sculpt

- Bushman - essentially a tweaked skull buster

- Black Spectre - hyperion buck with modded omega red shoulder pads and new head that uses a modded ares helmet.

- Stained Glass Scarlet - the most new tooling, moonstone buck but with flexible gown, and new face sculpt.

2 hours ago, Lord_Scareglow said:

I'm going to make a box set I wish existed, Moon Knight box set.

- Mr. Knight  - uses the suit buck of course you can imagine how easy this is

- Werewolf By Night - uses Jackal buck, virtually same sculpt

- Bushman - essentially a tweaked skull buster

- Black Spectre - hyperion buck with modded omega red shoulder pads and new head that uses a modded ares helmet.

- Stained Glass Scarlet - the most new tooling, moonstone buck but with flexible gown, and new face sculpt.

I approve this message. 🙂

One set based on Avengers #160.

• Scarlet Witch -- straight repaint of the Family Values 3-pack version; ditch the metallic gloss for standard red and pink; new magical SFX accessories
  • Vision -- repaint of the vintage wave figure; replace the metallic green with normal; clean up the paint on his face, black eyes, fix the sunstone in his head; two pair interchangeable hands; interchangeable "crying" head
  • Grim Reaper -- repaint the Ultron BAF version, actually paint him black; all new improved scythe and cape
  • Wonder Man -- new figure, reuse a big guy buck like Crossbones or someone comparable; new head sculpt, new belt
  • Beast -- brand new buck; blue fur, blue trunks, scaled down so he's comparable size to other guys in this set; interchangeable heads neutral and smiling/laughing

Total = one completely brand new buck, four brand new heads, like four brand new accessories, and the rest is just repaints

spacer.png

Next idea is a NOT MCU boxset.

Blade, a simple retool/headsculpt

Nic cage ghost rider, maybe a bonus nic cage head

Deadpool, movie version, maybe a strategic bullet hole right up main street to be different.

Jessica Alba invisible woman

Geez a villain is kinda tough here.  For the sake of ease im gonna go with Michael Clark Duncan as kingpin

Ok mates I'm going to need help here. You guys know way more about bucks and pieces than me. So help me build my Starling infinity gauntlet box set.  Here is who I need following:

Drax the destroyer.  Can we use a hulk buck?
Mephisto. 
Starfox.  With alternate no mouth head. 
Dr strange. Classic redeco.  Comes with  cyclops head in force cube. 
Finally the female will be (I really want to cheat here and have 6 in the set because) I’m completely torn between Nebula alternate infinity gauntlet hand and Terraxia the terrible which comes with decapitated Ironman head. 

help me out here what parts can we use for these figs. Thanks 

29F17DB2-3208-4658-8EBD-879C69EAAC19.jpeg

D0D80CDA-E6BC-4990-9B5A-E0199755413E.jpeg

63E737D3-3372-45C7-8469-26B5F5DD7863.jpeg

ED324A30-0B0D-4D79-A28F-6571291FC7B8.jpeg

184D75D6-E610-47FB-9EC2-ED1DC67F686D.jpeg

ADEB2759-0363-49AA-81B3-0E4F3E275175.jpeg

C060AF79-4E6F-4CED-91CD-4FAEBD4467A8.jpeg

If you're going for the huge reborn Draw that Ron Lim drew in Silver Surfer and Infinity Gauntlet, yeah, you probably want a Hulk buck for his torso and arms. Not sure about the 80th anniversary Hulk; maybe the Gamerverse Outback Hulk or one of the MCU versions. Otherwise, for the Drax that Jim Starlin originally drew in the '70s Adam Warlock stories, probably want the Thor/Hercules buck, or maybe the new movie Venom.

Not sure this meets the slightly better criteria but:

Unleash the Civies:

Happy Hogan, repaint.  Maybe a new head a la spiderman

Hank Pym, maybe retool the Stan Lee a bit?

Christine Palmer, not sure how much this one would take to do.

Justin Hammer, hey it's a pretty simple villain to do actually. 

Thunderbolt Ross... Fatigues, military dress or secretary of state

Hulk set

Immortal Hulk (80th Anniversary body)

D_SzVLsW4AA1RrD.jpg:large

Amadeus Cho (Professor Hulk body)

DjHlB2OWsAEBieg.jpg

Red Harpy (She-Hulk body)

HULK2018018_DC51VIRGIN_1024x1024.jpg

Hulkling (Omega Red body)

foom.jpg

Bi-Beast (80th Anniversary Hulk body)

bibeast.jpg

Bring on the Bad Guys

Namor (Defenders of the Deep; Grim Reaper body)

7789914-namor_the_best_defense_vol_1_1_s

Mr. Negative (Suited body)

7567027-mr-negative_ps4spiderman.png

Scorpion (Redeco of Molten Man wave Scorpion with exposed mouth)

2231486-scorpion.jpg

Wizard (Mr. Fantastic body)

5843443cf22d2cd475b76251a7fd1e35.jpg

Mephisto (New sculpt)

f4b7e16e326f00924481497251f5c4d1.png

Captain America family

Captain America (Classic redeco of 80th anniversary body)

0dr9f2lf0ll01.png

Patriot (New sculpt)

Patriot-Marvel-Comics-Young-Avengers-Eli

Baron Strucker (Grim Reaper body)

27b1201c6933fe41fdac6501db710d6b.jpg

Miss America (Jubilee body with Homecoming MJ's jacket)

4947444-ultmts2015002-cheungvar-a6066.jp

Falcon (Classic; Redeco of Joe Fixit wave Falcon with a new head, boots and hands)

Falcon. classic version.jpg

Captains Marvel

Monica Rambeau (Classic; Tigra body)

clean.jpg

Carol Danvers (Classic; Silk body with alternate Moonstone head)

771724-warofthemarvels_teaser.jpg

Mar-Vell (AVX; redeco of Abomination wave Mar-Vell)

458c4ab67e182e50e52b1af3e8ccaae3.jpg

Phyla-Vell (Tigra body)

6643578-phylla%201.jpg

Marvel Boy (Sunfire body) 

dcf1757a623f9c5030b739d65a90e77f.png

90s heroes

Armored Spider-Man (New sculpt)

8uscs2su31z11.jpg

Eric Masterson Thor (80th Anniversary Thor body)

eae4cfdf5a591a70c5066986b356ce48.jpg

Sersi (Silk body with 90s Black Widow jacket overlay) 

29db3331b73ba2be819f9e02772005c4.jpg

Gambit (Muir Island; Redeco of Retro Gambit) 

Gambit04.jpg

Meteorite (Moonstone body)

moonstone00b.jpg?w=640

Pride

Loki (Agent of Asgard; new sculpt)

51QA7XMQujL._AC_SY780_.jpg

Moondragon (Silk body)

7501682-moondragon2.jpg

Wiccan (Sunfire body) 

tumblr_mnbgnpeLNx1re8ijgo1_1280.jpg

Rictor (Retro Spider-Man body) 

Rictor-Marvel-Comics-X-Force-Julio-Richt

Destiny (Kate Bishop body)

8ea3a902d85b475538232e17c0d05de1.jpg

FF Allies

Bombastic Bag Man (Retro Spider-Man body) 

bag-man-1548684912.jpg

Fraklin Richards (Miles Morales body)

7258687-franklinricha.jpg

Wolverine (Redeco of Wolverine body) 

fantastic-four-wolverine-empyre-header.j

Valeria Richards (Jubilee body) 

7033575-valeria_richards_%2528earth-616%

Dragon Man (80th anniversary Hulk body)

4215939-untitled-1.jpg

Women of Marvel

Wasp (1st appearance; Medusa body)

wasp.jpg?w=640

She-Hulk (Fantastic 4; She-Hulk body) 

f2f7a81de7a3e0c746b0d9a01cbd108a.jpg

Storm (HOX/POX; Tigra body)

699efa2d44858bc3694c8e8c1d8e5fdde1c13199

Valkyrie (New sculpt) 

c764dc8b08c593cdccbfa6626199efd1.jpg

Madame Hydra (Kate Bishop body)

viper_steranko.jpg

Street Justice

Daredevil (Retro Spider-Man body) 

7a0290d52e73c43068e63c01237767f5.jpg

Echo (Tigra body)

5_fdc2_0.jpg

Moon Knight (Mr. Knight; suited body)

0b7b2bbb088bbe42dc958e91146cb6ff.jpg

Luke Cage (New Avengers; Hercules body) 

amazing_spider_man_vol_4_18_defenders_va

Lady Bullseye (Kate Bishop body) 

Screen%20Shot%202019-10-18%20at%201.57.4

Martial arts set

Shang-Chi (Modern; Sunfire body) 

7rl8tvnsckuf.jpeg

Iron Fist (modern; Pizza Spidey body)

iron-fist-mcu-reboot-fan-casting-poster-

The Mandarin (Acts of Vengeance; new sculpt)

A1glTpnnuwL.jpg

Colleen Wing (SDCC Colleen Wing body)

colleenwing.jpg

White Tiger (Retro Spider-Man body)

edee23142f841360b11d78e1a4a92be4.jpg

Round Robin Box Set

• Spider-Man (Bagley styled)
  • Darkhawk (classic)
  • Midnight
  • Nova (lighter yellow rather than gold reissue of the Walgreens one)
  • Moon Knight (in silver to give us something different)

Could swap in Punisher or Night Thrasher for Nova or Moon Knight, but I think both Nova and Moon Knight are a little more central to the story, and we need that classic Darkhawk.  

19 hours ago, greenlucario said:

Round Robin Box Set

• Spider-Man (Bagley styled)
  • Darkhawk (classic)
  • Midnight
  • Nova (lighter yellow rather than gold reissue of the Walgreens one)
  • Moon Knight (in silver to give us something different)

Could swap in Punisher or Night Thrasher for Nova or Moon Knight, but I think both Nova and Moon Knight are a little more central to the story, and we need that classic Darkhawk.  

Sign me up, good box set! , I'd say you could put together a 2nd set with outstanding characters

Round Robin Box Set 2 : Punisher, Night Thrasher, Number 1, Thunderball & Ms. Midnight

17 hours ago, Lord_Scareglow said:

Sign me up, good box set! , I'd say you could put together a 2nd set with outstanding characters

Round Robin Box Set 2 : Punisher, Night Thrasher, Number 1, Thunderball & Ms. Midnight

Thanks, and I love the idea of two sets out of this, I'd be all in.

"Cosmic Clash"

-Lilandra (Newly-tooled staff accessory, everything else existing tooling).

-Wolverine (Fang's outfit- newly-tooled necklace, existing tooling otherwise)
-Deathbird (Some parts can be re-used from other female figures, I'm sure, but she will use a lot of new tooling)
-Ch'od (Abomination tooling, with new head and newly-tooled "buddy")
-Nightcrawler (slight repaint) - This set needs a repaint, and Nightcrawler is always cool...

Father and Sons... or something like that:

-Classic Havok:  New head on existing body.
-Cyclops: repaint of figure from Dark Phoenix 2-pack
-Corsair: Existing buck, with newly-sculpted head, and some newly-sculpted parts, like shoulder armor and belt.
-Hepzibah: parts from Squirrel Girl and/or the upcoming Tigra, with new head and tail.
-Erik The Red:  Newly-sculpted.

This set is based on "The Trial of Yellowjacket", one of my favorite Avengers sagas from issues #228-230.

• Yellowjacket - based on the Sunfire buck with a new head and upper torso with molded shoulder wings; interchangeable hands, sting effects; miniature YJ
  • Egghead - based on the brand new Happy Hogan buck; suit jacket replaced with lab coat; original head sculpt
  • The Wasp - reuse standard female buck; maybe reuse upper torso/shoulders if available; interchangeable hands, song effects; miniature Wasp
  • Hawkeye - straight repaint of the vintage wave figure with brighter colors, improved accessories, detailed bow and arrows
  • She-Hulk - brand new sculpt with the scale of the She-Hulk from the Super-Skrull wave; two interchangeable heads, one gritted teeth, one big smile; interchangeable hands

1 hour ago, RyanDaly said:

This set is based on "The Trial of Yellowjacket", one of my favorite Avengers sagas from issues #228-230.

• Yellowjacket - based on the Sunfire buck with a new head and upper torso with molded shoulder wings; interchangeable hands, sting effects; miniature YJ
  • Egghead - based on the brand new Happy Hogan buck; suit jacket replaced with lab coat; original head sculpt
  • The Wasp - reuse standard female buck; maybe reuse upper torso/shoulders if available; interchangeable hands, song effects; miniature Wasp
  • Hawkeye - straight repaint of the vintage wave figure with brighter colors, improved accessories, detailed bow and arrows
  • She-Hulk - brand new sculpt with the scale of the She-Hulk from the Super-Skrull wave; two interchangeable heads, one gritted teeth, one big smile; interchangeable hands

Great set, would love an updated Yellowjacket, the old ToyBiz one is one of the last holdovers. Definitely time for Hasbro to improve that figure 

1 hour ago, McHogan said:

Great set, would love an updated Yellowjacket, the old ToyBiz one is one of the last holdovers. Definitely time for Hasbro to improve that figure 

That Yellowjacket was one of the early Hasbro figures that, like Quicksilver, used an old ToyBiz mold. He could most definitely use an upgrade (Like most of the early Hasbro figs).

2 hours ago, RyanDaly said:

Cool set! Egghead is one of those obscure villains that I'd love to see, that would probably fit in best in a boxed set like this. Some good heavy hitters, and one obscure villain that we probably wouldn't get otherwise- good mix!

• 2 weeks later...

here's another one I wish existed Sleepwalker box set

1. Sleepwalker = uses Grim Reaper buck

2, 8 Ball = Bucky cap Mold

3. Cobweb = pretty much the most new tooling, but can use some tooling from that Kro figure maybe

4. Crimewave = Closed suited mold, (don't really care for this fig, but it's easy done)

5. Alyssa Conover = uses Moira pieces

Captain America allies & enemies pack

1. Sin (Sinthea Schmidt) - all new
2. Sharon Carter -  Black Widow movie body with AOA Jean Grey's head and Legacy Rogue's hair.  I'm cheating a little with Sharon in that she's not a 100% redeco of an existing figure but could be made using 100% existing parts.
3. Scourge of the Underworld (classic) - tall suit body (possibly a new upper torso) with masked Archangel head, new hat (or a new head in a similar shape to the masked Archangel head with attached hat), new coat, and new gun.
4. Isaiah Bradley - 80th Anniversary Cap body with new head, new biceps, new forearms, new boot tops, and classic shield from 80th Anniversary "Riders"Ultimate Cap (and MCU Captain America: The First Avenger two pack).
5. Battlestar (classic) - Wolf Cap body with new head, new hips/waist/crotch piece, new boot cuffs, new glove cuffs, new upper torso w/ collar, and new shield.

wdsJwcc.jpg?1https://comicvine.gamespot.com/a/uploads/original/11/117763/2858608-captain_america__4___page_22.jpgoiSdOKo.jpg9WH9Js5.jpgMay be an image of text