Ka-Zar Returns More Powerful Than Ever In New Series From Marvel

JayC

Marvel’s Lord of the Jungle is back! The iconic Ka-Zar will be starring in a brand-new limited series this September. Written by Zac Thompson (Yondu, Age of X-Man) and drawn by Germán Garcia (Immortal Hulk, X-Men), KA-ZAR: LORD OF THE SAVAGE LAND will pick up on the hero’s exciting journey since his death and resurrection during last year’s Empyre. Back from the dead with a whole new terrifying set of powers, the saga will serve as a bold evolution of the character while staying true to his jungle roots as the mighty hero goes up against a mysterious new villain with twisted plans for the Savage Land.

The alien Cotati murdered him. The Savage Land brought him back. Lord Plunder has returned — with a vastly new perspective! Now united with Shanna the She-Devil in a mystical merging of life energies, Ka-Zar has new abilities, new needs…and new enemies. An ancient evil has surfaced in the Savage Land — one that is rapidly reshaping the forgotten world and its inhabitants. Ka-Zar and Shanna must fight together to protect their home and family! But their son Matthew has plans of his own…

"Ka-Zar: Lord of the Savage Land is the book I’ve always wanted to write,” Thompson said. “It’s an absolute dream-come-true to take a character created by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby and propel them into the modern Marvel universe with a whole host of horrifying new powers! It’s been years since Ka-Zar had his own series and we wanted to mark the occasion with an evolution that channels something like Immortal Hulk but with a distinct throwback to the old adventure pulps that inspired the character’s creation 65 years ago. I’m in awe of our team. Germán Garcia is delivering mind-blowing work that channels the best of Jack Kirby. I’ve literally gasped at multiple pages in each issue. Then we have the gorgeous colors by Mat Lopes that feel organic and ethereal. We’re all under the leadership of our brilliant editor Sarah Brunstad who's expertly guided the vision of this ambitious book from day one. Together we’ve created a story that’s epic, personal, and terrifying. One that’s going to change Ka-Zar and the Savage Land forever!"

"There's nothing better than having the opportunity to explore a classic Marvel character under a new light, and this is what we're doing here,” Garcia said. “And it's not just Ka-zar, but the whole family, and as important as them, the Savage Land itself! It's unreal and fantastic and I'm having a great time trying to portray the way I imagine it."

Since his Silver Age debut in X-Men #10 by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby, Ka-Zar has delighted fans of every generation with unique jungle-jaunting adventures that no other hero can deliver! Don’t miss his latest spectacular quest through the lost lands when KA-ZAR: LORD OF THE SAVAGE LAND #1 hits stands on September 9th.

KA-ZAR: LORD OF THE SAVAGE LAND #1 (OF 5)
Written by ZAC THOMPSON
Art by GERMÁN GARCÍA
Colors by MAT LOPES
Cover by JESÚS SAIZ
Variant Cover by JUANN CABAL
On Sale 9/8!

KAZARLORDSAVLAND2021001_COV.jpg

KAZARLORDSAVLAND2021001_variant.jpg

KAZARLOSL2021001_1.jpg

KAZARLOSL2021001_2.jpg

KAZARLOSL2021001_3.jpg

It's Marvel's version of Tarzan. I was stoked to see this, as I love limited runs of the less popular characters. I can only take so many Spider-Man or Wolverine books. I'm damn disappointed that they're giving him "new abilities" and he is now "united with Shanna the She-Devil in a mystical merging of life energies" . It sounds like the first issue will be polybagged with healing crystals. 

While it is refreshing that this isn’t another Wolverine, Spidey, or Iron Man book, its still Ka-Zar... so pass.

man, once you get past those same A list characters, Marvel’s bench is a little thin

Tarza.. sorry Ka-Zar is best as a supporting role or a limited series like this. A fun diversion but by no means should Marvel give him an ongoing series

5 minutes ago, McHogan said:

While it is refreshing that this isn’t another Wolverine, Spidey, or Iron Man book, its still Ka-Zar... so pass.

man, once you get past those same A list characters, Marvel’s bench is a little thin

Tarza.. sorry Ka-Zar is best as a supporting role or a limited series like this. A fun diversion but by no means should Marvel give him an ongoing series

They're just tossing caca at the walls and going with what sticks. 

2 minutes ago, Gigantor said:

They're just tossing caca at the walls and going with what sticks. 

Haha I agree. 

Look, I am a huge Black Knight fan and love his supporting roles in the Avengers. Even enjoy his first few Limited Series or One Shots. But then every BK story became about the curse of the Ebony Blade so I’ve kind of just tuned out on his solo stories.

But even before the the double whammy of repetitive stories and today’s writing, I would state the BK was at his finest in a supporting role. Not every character needs his own book, and this and this Ka-Zar one looks like a stinker

1 hour ago, PushYouDown said:

Do you guys even like comics?

Sure, when they make good comics. Been a while though. Kazar is Marvel's ripoff of Tarzan, I was fine with that, but now they're giving him superpowers? GTFO here with that Malarkey. That's as bad as letting a musician write 1 of your characters. 

3 hours ago, ADour said:

I have good news for you and that's the press release above says "#1 (OF 5)"

Oh yeah I know it’s only a limited series, you cut off my quote noting that very fact, but Marvel of late has given nearly everyone an ongoing that ends up being no longer than most L.S... My comment was more in the lines of, if they give him an ongoing it likely won’t make it through its first year.

2 hours ago, McHogan said:

Oh yeah I know it’s only a limited series, you cut off my quote noting that very fact, but Marvel of late has given nearly everyone an ongoing that ends up being no longer than most L.S... My comment was more in the lines of, if they give him an ongoing it likely won’t make it through its first year.

And look at me going about reading comprehension. My bad. However, I think it's worth pointing out that nowadays the common practise is to make "stealth minis." A lot of those series that seem ongoings cancelled soon were never ongoings to begin with. It seems like the norm is to not include the "(out of X)" next to the issue number in minis nowadays even if the press release says they are.