Marvel Legends Spider-Man Retro Cardback Sandman Figure Revealed

JayC

That’s okay. They hinted that July will be a monster to rival May with all the Infinity Saga orders. I’m thinking July will officially reveal the FF retro wave, the SDCC exclusive(s), and possibly the new HasLab project. I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s more than that. Maybe the Eternals wave will finally be officially announced and released. They unveiled the Shang-Chi wave 3-4 months before the movie; maybe they’ll follow suit for The Eternals.

7 hours ago, Atlantis said:

Didn't come around this time but the Hasbro team has already stated there's gonna be another Rhino, so I'm not worried. Hope they do him soon, and the closer they stick to the classic Romita look, the better.

OH, a Romita look would be insanely cool, but they can't achieve that look with their current bucks... damn, I hope your wish comes true, because now all I can see on my shelf is a Romita Rhino with a new buck!

45 minutes ago, Psychosomatic said:

OH, a Romita look would be insanely cool, but they can't achieve that look with their current bucks... damn, I hope your wish comes true, because now all I can see on my shelf is a Romita Rhino with a new buck!

And scale it down and inch, inch an a half, Rhino isn't Hulk sized, don't care how many artists took artistic license & have made him look as big as a house. Guy's 6'7, not 7'7! That's why I still have the great TB Rhino in my display, perfect in size & scale!

HUXL4Ik.jpgNwFxfG8.jpg

1 hour ago, RyanDaly said:

That’s okay. They hinted that July will be a monster to rival May with all the Infinity Saga orders. I’m thinking July will officially reveal the FF retro wave, the SDCC exclusive(s), and possibly the new HasLab project. I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s more than that. Maybe the Eternals wave will finally be officially announced and released. They unveiled the Shang-Chi wave 3-4 months before the movie; maybe they’ll follow suit for The Eternals.

Yeah, they did state June would be light on reveals before going nuts in July. 

Following this weeks reveal of the new Marvel Legends Spider-Man Retro Cardback Sandman, Hasbro's Ryan Ting has posted some new in-hand images of the figure. In these images we see the size different between the new Sandman which uses that Hydro Man body and the previous Build-A-Figure version. We also see some images of the new Sandman facing off against Spider-Man.

You can pre-order the new Sandman figure from our sponsor our sponsor BigBadToyStore.com.

Sandman-Comparison 1.jpg

Sandman-Comparison 2.jpg

Sandman-Comparison 3.jpg

Sandman-Comparison 4.jpg

Sandman-Comparison.jpg

Sandman-Comparison1.jpg

I'm not sure the comparison pics are really doing the new version a lot of favors, although sure its nice to see that it doesn't have those ugly ball hips. Otherwise the BAF version just looks way better imo. but probably the new one looks good in close up shots,  it doesn't help that they didn't exactly go nuts putting him in dynamic poses, either.

38 minutes ago, bashpics99 said:

I'm not sure the comparison pics are really doing the new version a lot of favors, although sure its nice to see that it doesn't have those ugly ball hips. 

17 minutes ago, SpiderS said:

Brightness really makes that figure look bad, maybe it just lights or figure is indeed that bright irl, either way it looks inferior in comparison with baf that has tons of paint and shading but I still believe it will be way better with more natural lights and not everyone wants super big Sandman. 

Whew... glad it's not just me. My initial thought was, well, I'm glad the scale is better but the colors are really superior on the BAF. Maybe--hopefully--it's more a matter of lighting, but it certainly does look like the sand effects are much better in the original. I also like the two different heads of the original better. 

That not withstanding, I'm still super glad they made this new Sandman and I can't wait to get him so I can finally complete my original Sinister Six.

57 minutes ago, The Mad Bubbler said:

I mean, these just aren't great photos; the lighting kind of washes out the detail in the sculpt. That being said, the retro Sandman would definitely have benefitted from some paint washes, particularly a light brown one on the sand parts, but it's still a nice figure.

Actually, looking at the promo photos, there IS a subtle but well-done paint wash on the sand parts of the figure- it is just completely invisible in these bright photos. These pictures do give a good idea of scale, but definitely don't do the figure justice. I wonder when we'll get the inevitable "sand form" of the not-giant Sandman? SDCC set, like the last one?

There's definitely no denying that the BAF is more impressive looking, but for me, this is a less is more thing. The BAF is just too damn hyoooj! And those shoulders are just a bit too cartoonish. What also makes the new one a win for me is simply that you've got the option to pose him with his normal hands. 

Now here's hoping we get a nice redo of my other favourite Blue-Collar Super-Villain; the Absorbing Man! 😎

Not gonna lie, the BAF looks SO much better.  And not because of the 'lighting' issues or whatever.  It's just a better representation of the character when he's at his purest, most impressive form.  The effects are much better as well.  I don't know why they didn't just re-release it as a deluxe.    This is like...mini-Sandman.

5 minutes ago, Virtualzach said:

Not gonna lie, the BAF looks SO much better.  And not because of the 'lighting' issues or whatever.  It's just a better representation of the character when he's at his purest, most impressive form.  The effects are much better as well.  I don't know why they didn't just re-release it as a deluxe.    This is like...mini-Sandman.

That's exactly what I said. The face looks to 'junior' in my taste and it looks small compared to the BAF. I am disappointed in this release. I was hoping for a repaint of the Baf. I will not be picking this figure up.

After seeing these pictures and the comparison...I cancelled my pre order. Im not sure what it is but the BAF looks far and away so much better than the new retro figure. I can let the height on the BAF slide as the more sand he adds the bigger he becomes. The retro figure just "lacks" something. 

ToyBiz figures get improved on by Hasbro in every instance but I’ve got to say that old ToyBiz Sandman with the texturing that actually felt  like what you’d think Sandman would feel like was impressive for its day. Hasbro hasn’t come close to that with any of their Sandman’s.. 

The comparison pics actually bum me out a little. I have the BAF and the powered up all sand version that came in the (Vault??) box set and while the hips and shoulders aren’t great, and he is a bit tall, just looks sculpted so much better than this retro one. Hoping in hand it’s not as bad as these pics would have us believe.

in my Avengers I may use the retro one with the all sand version standing behind him to reflect his powers. Figure when he is going full sandy he would be bigger anyway.

so weird he had a blink and you missed it run as an Avenger..

I actually like everything about the new figure better except the heads. The normal head has really big and beady eyes which just look really weird and the messed up head should have literally any other expression, I’d have even gone for a sadistic smile instead of the meh face. Otherwise I love this new figure, the shirt looks incredible, it’s so simple but it just looks so much better than the shirt on the BAF. The proportions also looks so much better, the shoulders are much better, the hips actually look natural and of course having normal arms is great. I got 2, one from Amazon to open and one from BBTS to keep on card. 

6 hours ago, McHogan said:

On another site ( am I allowed to say The Fwoosh?) there are pics that aren’t in such a bright light and the figure looks much better.. so that’s good news

Its the same pics, the lighting is just off with some of em. the point of the pics though is simply to show you the size comparison because I guess a lot of people where complaining about it.

To clarify my point, I do think the lighting in those pictures did no favors to the new one, whose paint apps seem washed out compared to the BAF.

However, I am still VERY HAPPY to get this version. Sandman is one of my favorite Spidey villains (despite the fact that I didn't know the character's real name, apparently), and I think this new one on the Luke Cage/Hydro Man buck looks terrific. I don't mean to complain that Hasbro wasted its time and should've just re-released the BAF. I think this new one is superior, with a few exceptions.

Its so tricky with this release. I like that we get options for the powered up and powered down as well as the normal size and no hip ball joints. What I dont like is the heads and the paint work on them. The beady eyes gives a very cheap and kids toy look to this..... ehrm.. toy. Also the action head is so expressionless, its a polar opposite to the bafs sandmans version. The expression head isnt too bad but the beady eyes just kills it for me. Its kind of like the retro green goblin eye problem all over again. 

21 hours ago, Virtualzach said:

Yeah I don't see how the "lighting" is the problem when both figures are in the same shot. The new version looks like a Happy Meal toy in comparison to the BAF. Still, I think it will do better in hand and will sell very well.