Jump to content

Marvel Legends Spider-Man Retro Cardback Sandman Figure Revealed


JayC
 Share

Recommended Posts

21 hours ago, Virtualzach said:

Not gonna lie, the BAF looks SO much better.  And not because of the 'lighting' issues or whatever.  It's just a better representation of the character when he's at his purest, most impressive form.  The effects are much better as well.  I don't know why they didn't just re-release it as a deluxe.    This is like...mini-Sandman.

Yeah I don't see how the "lighting" is the problem when both figures are in the same shot. The new version looks like a Happy Meal toy in comparison to the BAF. Still, I think it will do better in hand and will sell very well. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The other day Hasbro released some new in-hand images for their newly announced Marvel Legends Spider-Man Retro Cardback Sandman figures which gave you some size comparisons with the previous Build-A-Figure version.

Now Hasbro's Dwight Stall has posted a few additional images of the new Sandman figure, this time showing the figure getting punched with the alternate partly sand transformed headsculpt.

You can pre-order the new Sandman figure from our sponsor our sponsor BigBadToyStore.com.

00-Sandman-Punch.jpg

Sandman-Punch.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's amazing to me that people are hating on this so bad. Legends collectors may be the most ungrateful bunch out there. Remember that Mattel charged the same price for those awful Multiverse figures, and that McFarlane are charging a whopping $2 less for the unarticulated '66 retro batman figures that are an inch smaller than their $20 DC figures. 

 

This sandman looks awesome. I wish the facial expressions were swapped, maybe more wash on the sand and extra hands would've been nice but this is a good amount of accessories for a regular priced figure. I'm sure they'll do a deluxe or sinister 6 box set and he will have better paint, different heads and weapon arms, and a sand base to put him in.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, JayC said:
 

Sandman-Punch.jpg

I find this picture unusually funny because that head is so uninspired and just meh. It feels like he just got punched in the face and is pondering his life choices. You would figure that an action head would have action to it.. But I am definitely glad we are getting a regular size sandy. I do still absolutely love my toybiz sandman tho.. and he had a CRAP ton of accessories for a $7-8 figure. and is for the most part in scale with hasbro legends. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah the face could be better but until we all know what it feels like to get punched thru the face and how our faces look I’ll reserve judgement 😁

but.......man am I glad I passed on that terrible Negative Zone Spidey.. dang that is ugly. Not the colors but the lack of any web detail and those goofy eyes . Comic accurate or not, it very unappealing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Curtar said:

It's amazing to me that people are hating on this so bad. Legends collectors may be the most ungrateful bunch out there. Remember that Mattel charged the same price for those awful Multiverse figures, and that McFarlane are charging a whopping $2 less for the unarticulated '66 retro batman figures that are an inch smaller than their $20 DC figures. 

 

This sandman looks awesome. I wish the facial expressions were swapped, maybe more wash on the sand and extra hands would've been nice but this is a good amount of accessories for a regular priced figure. I'm sure they'll do a deluxe or sinister 6 box set and he will have better paint, different heads and weapon arms, and a sand base to put him in.

I dont think it's that big of a deal that some of us don't care for this figure. I personally think the BAF looks better. Im not"ungrateful" just very very picky. I feel some of these characters will only get one shot at being made and I'm hoping Hasbro gets it right! I'm spending my hard earned money on these figures I want them to be as close to PERFECT as possible ESPECIALLY since they are going up to $23-$24!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m not hating on the new sandman, I just think the BAF is better (despite the ball joint hips) and so I’ll stick with it. But I do think the comparison pics did not make the new version look good. 
 

i do wonder if people who don’t already have a sandman prefer this new figure or would rather have paid $30 for a deluxe rerelease of the BAF. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don’t have (or want) either version, but think the new one looks better in just about every way. The skin tone is lighter and doesn’t have a wash on it, so it got a little washed out in those comparison pictures. It happens, especially with amateur photography. The sculpt looks way better to me and the scale is a lot more accurate, even if they didn’t go the extra mile with the paint deco. It’s gonna look great in-hand.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, bashpics99 said:

I’m not hating on the new sandman, I just think the BAF is better (despite the ball joint hips) and so I’ll stick with it. But I do think the comparison pics did not make the new version look good. 
 

i do wonder if people who don’t already have a sandman prefer this new figure or would rather have paid $30 for a deluxe rerelease of the BAF. 

I bought the BAF completed and the powered up sandy version loose and got a great deal on both. I am planning on getting the retro version mainly because the sheer size of the BAF/ box set always bugged me a little. Also .. those hips...

Sandman never struck me as Andre the Giant sized when powered down ( the sandy version was fine, just took it as he added more sand mass ) so standing next to “normal sized “ Avengers like Cap an Iron Man, he just seemed oddly proportional. I get that like the Wrecking Crew , they are supposed to be powerhouses but rarely were they drawn so out of scale with the rest of the Marvel Universe. Hasbro’s interpretation of powerhouse made them seem like they were from a completely different action figure line.

this retro Sandman, while less impressive with the paint, looks like he will be a much better fit into my Avengers lineup

 

B97C6DAE-B3C9-431A-84EE-21422F7A5678.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, McHogan said:

I bought the BAF completed and the powered up sandy version loose and got a great deal on both. I am planning on getting the retro version mainly because the sheer size of the BAF/ box set always bugged me a little. Also .. those hips...

Sandman never struck me as Andre the Giant sized when powered down ( the sandy version was fine, just took it as he added more sand mass ) so standing next to “normal sized “ Avengers like Cap an Iron Man, he just seemed oddly proportional. I get that like the Wrecking Crew , they are supposed to be powerhouses but rarely were they drawn so out of scale with the rest of the Marvel Universe. Hasbro’s interpretation of powerhouse made them seem like they were from a completely different action figure line.

this retro Sandman, while less impressive with the paint, looks like he will be a much better fit into my Avengers lineup

 

B97C6DAE-B3C9-431A-84EE-21422F7A5678.jpeg

Not for nuthin, but why on earth would you make him an Avenger? He was a reserve Avenger at that & to this day I still have zero idea what the writers at Marvel were thinking when they had him go "good". Same crap with Sabretooth joining the X-Men. Or Juggs in Excaliber. They are bad guys ...period! My retro Sandman will be joining his other brothers in Green & plot to destroy Spiderman 7 days a week & twice on Sundays.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I mean some bad guys can reform if they’re willing to, Sandman is an example, even though they try some writer comes along to undo it, always gets the short end of the stick 
Sabretooth is one they used as his personality shifting, but reverted, and doing evil stuff again, cos he’s straight up evil

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, nWoWolfpack said:

I mean some bad guys can reform if they’re willing to, Sandman is an example, even though they try some writer comes along to undo it, always gets the short end of the stick 
Sabretooth is one they used as his personality shifting, but reverted, and doing evil stuff again, cos he’s straight up evil

When a villain has been around since the 60s/70s & has always been trying to kill off the heroes, I just don't think it's good writing to all of a sudden plop a white hat on them & say it " look, I'm totally reformed after 10 tours in prison and having a criminal record 10 miles long"!

 

Just don't fly. Rogue is an exception cuz she was pretty young & confused after absorbing Ms Marvel's powers &  was manipulated by Destiny, and she was only a "villain" for a very short time before reforming.  Gambit was more of a free lance hired gun, though he rounded up the Mauraders for Sinister, He didn't realize what their true mission was.  

 

But Sandman, Creed & Marko are well established hardcore bad guys who have been on the wrong side of the law for decades, they don't work as good guys & shouldn't be written as such.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Gigantor said:

When a villain has been around since the 60s/70s & has always been trying to kill off the heroes, I just don't think it's good writing to all of a sudden plop a white hat on them & say it " look, I'm totally reformed after 10 tours in prison and having a criminal record 10 miles long"!

 

Just don't fly. Rogue is an exception cuz she was pretty young & confused after absorbing Ms Marvel's powers &  was manipulated by Destiny, and she was only a "villain" for a very short time before reforming.  Gambit was more of a free lance hired gun, though he rounded up the Mauraders for Sinister, He didn't realize what their true mission was.  

 

But Sandman, Creed & Marko are well established hardcore bad guys who have been on the wrong side of the law for decades, they don't work as good guys & shouldn't be written as such.

I am in complete agreement. This was Larry Hama writing Sandman into the Avengers because... reasons. Maybe he had a soft spot for him, maybe he had long term plans but in the end, like you said, he only reached Reserve status and was quickly written out of the team. I want to say Sandman got a little rough breaking up a street level crime or something and thought Cap was going to fire him. Not sure if thats what made him go back to being a bad guy but.. there it is. 

I had a bully as a freshman that made my first couple of years in High School miserable. We ended up on the same Varsity basketball team my Junior year and he tried to make nice. I was polite but I never trusted that A-hole as far as I could throw him ( and ain’t puberty fun, by the time I was a junior I towered over that jerk so I probably could have thrown him far.) but he was my arch enemy and tried daily for two years to inflict harm on me.. just because we were on the same team he was never my teammate or friend. So to your point, I’m with you, it doesn’t make any sense that Spidey was so accepting that Sandman was suddenly a good guy and somehow just forgot about the years of abuse.. 

but.. he is listed officially as an ( reserve ) Avenger so he makes the cut. Of course this same reasoning means I grabbed a Sabretooth for the Uncanny Avengers lineup.. which makes even less sense than Sandman ( to be fair, I haven’t yet read those volumes so I really cannot fathom why they made Creed an Avenger at any level). To be honest why they made “insert nearly the entire Hickman run of characters he added to the Avengers” were made Avengers nearly made me stop following the team that defined my comic book reading youth.  It was a dark time for my fandom for sure.

but I’m a completist and they’ve officially gained Avengers status so I’ll grab anyone who reaches that criteria. I have however limited myself to the uniforms they wore AS Avengers.. so no half Man Cannonball or XForce attire Sunspot for example. And yes I’ve been grabbing other reservists like Vance Astro and Rage

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sabretooth effectively had his alignment inverted by magic. He went from chaotic evil to chaotic good. He was still the same person, with the same savage nature, perfectly still willing to kill; he was just motivated by helping others, rather than just himself. It worked, and was an interesting take on the character for a while. Most of the Avengers and X-Men were similarly inverted, but the effects were reversed pretty quickly for most of them. Sabretooth and Havok were notable exceptions, with Havok going from lawful good to lawful evil for a good long stretch of comics too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Benn said:

Sabretooth effectively had his alignment inverted by magic. He went from chaotic evil to chaotic good. He was still the same person, with the same savage nature, perfectly still willing to kill; he was just motivated by helping others, rather than just himself. It worked, and was an interesting take on the character for a while. Most of the Avengers and X-Men were similarly inverted, but the effects were reversed pretty quickly for most of them. Sabretooth and Havok were notable exceptions, with Havok going from lawful good to lawful evil for a good long stretch of comics too.

Not to mention that the Avengers still very much didn't trust Creed even though he was genuinely remorseful, so they had Doctor Voodoo keep him on a magical leash just in case (though I'm not sure if I'd call him chaotic good since he was very tame if I remember correctly).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The inverted heroes and villains were interesting stories especially Sabretooth, Iron Man and Havok just got cut short and interrupted by Secret Wars. 
 

I thoroughly enjoyed Hickman’s Avengers team with fresh new faces like Sunspot which was expanded upon by Ewing with New Avengers and US Avengers, and characters like Hyperion and his Bromance with Thor, Cannonball & Smasher getting together technically being the reason why Krakoa and the Shi’ar are allies. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks all for the synopsis on Sabretooths Avengers run. I honestly love when someone provides helpful information on characters Or stories I’m not familiar with, truly a highlight of interactions on this site.

I'm not 100% sure about  the whole Sabretooth (among others ) as an Avenger but you have peaked my interest, something that cannot be said when I originally brought him up as an Avenger.. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, ADour said:

Not to mention that the Avengers still very much didn't trust Creed even though he was genuinely remorseful, so they had Doctor Voodoo keep him on a magical leash just in case (though I'm not sure if I'd call him chaotic good since he was very tame if I remember correctly).

Well, my experiences with inverted Sabretooth are mostly from Magneto’s Uncanny X-Men team. He was still pretty brutal in that, just brutal with a heart of gold.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...







Sign Up For The TNI Newsletter And Have The News Delivered To You!


Entertainment News International (ENI) is the #1 popular culture network for adult fans all around the world.
Get the scoop on all the popular comics, games, movies, toys, and more every day!

Contact and Support

Advertising | Submit News | Contact ENI | Privacy Policy

©Entertainment News International - All images, trademarks, logos, video, brands and images used on this website are registered trademarks of their respective companies and owners. All Rights Reserved. Data has been shared for news reporting purposes only. All content sourced by fans, online websites, and or other fan community sources. Entertainment News International is not responsible for reporting errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and or other liablities related to news shared here. We do our best to keep tabs on infringements. If some of your content was shared by accident. Contact us about any infringements right away - CLICK HERE