Marvel Legends 6" Darkstar Figure Video Review And Images

JayC

Despite her being a necessary and NEW character, easily the dud for me of the wave. They really went barebones on her and lack of any kind of accessories outside of some extra hands. Granted she has the biggest baf part, but still doesnt mean shes not the most boring thats being offered. 

1 hour ago, EvilHayato said:

Despite her being a necessary and NEW character, easily the dud for me of the wave. They really went barebones on her and lack of any kind of accessories outside of some extra hands. Granted she has the biggest baf part, but still doesnt mean shes not the most boring thats being offered. 

Its a shame, because Legends is clearly killing it on face sculpts and paints for the female figures now. They really did a nice job here and the lighter eyebrows is a great touch. Funny how such a little thing makes such a difference. If only they'd bring that same skill to the body- its so damn generic now. Actually this time this body isn't so far off, but she doesn't have calf rotation, she doesn't have bicep rotation or double jointed elbows. That head deserves better. She's missing the stripes down her costume. Also, Darkstar's main thing is her dark energy (opaque black repulsors maybe?) and they should've included some kind of effects for that. 

I do like that they gave her 3 sets of alt hands though. Definitely a step in the right direction! I can't wait to see them do her brother Vanguard and his overlapping symbols of the worker’s State. 

She been a long time favorite character of mine for a while. While there hasn't been much development on her I do like the concept and power set and design. Not much to this, I agree. There usually isn't much to these older characters who depended on a skin tight suit and actual powers. Now days we get all these characters that kinda have a beginning of a power but carry around and use all sorts of weapons and fancy suits and gadgets to make them work right. It is what it is. Its a different character with a nice, yet cool old style design.

If this figure proves one thing in particular, it's how terrible that washed up, skinny legged, wobbly kneed Kate Bishop mold has aged in the few years its been active. Dump it now Hasbro. I know you look at it as the female version of the Bucky Cap mold but it's not. At least that mold is solid and for its limited articulation its still functional and sturdy enough to stand up to newer sculpts. This Kate Bishop mold is garbage. Not only is it almost always necessary to warp the arms and legs back into place right outta the package, but the damn thing barely stands on its own feet so don't even think about posing it in any matter where the head sculpt is not in dead center. Basically stand the thing straight up and down and pose the arms and hands in as many minute positions as possible without extending them so far out that it falls over.

1 hour ago, MODADDYDODOK said:

The figure is okay. I love the character. Definitely like the head sculpt but..... where are the boobies, Hasbro? Make boobies great again.

I love this figure and am excited to add it!

As far as the comment above as to the lack of comic female curviness in recent history, while I certainly understand it, I still agree that it's disappointing. As a point of comparison, I don't feel like they've had to tone down the over the top musculature of the male heroes. However, when these figures are at mass retail stores, this is just the way it's going to be.  There are really only certain figures where it's really an issue. Like, I'd love a Madelyne Pryor Goblin Queen figure but, uh, I'd expect her to be comic accurate.

1 minute ago, Hogun said:

Can someone explain to me who Darkstar is? The only Darkstar I know of is the energy vampire from Ben 10.

Lol. She's Russian, part of the Winter Guard and Sister to Vanguard (also in Winter Guard). She's a Darkforce manipulator who can use it to make hard constructs in similar fashion to how Green Lantern uses his power.

4 hours ago, Reno said:

"....However, when these figures are at mass retail stores, this is just the way it's going to be.  There are really only certain figures where it's really an issue. Like, I'd love a Madelyne Pryor Goblin Queen figure but, uh, I'd expect her to be comic accurate..."

I find this bizarre, because they sold the first Black Cat, cleavage and all, at retail stores and she was on that Ms. Marvel/Rogue buck. No issues. Target had an exclusive 3 pack of Cap, Radioactive Man, and Ms. Marvel on that "curvy" buck. Rogue was also sold at retail, and in fact was just re-released some months ago at Target. It just makes no sense that "these cant be sold at retail stores"... when they've already been sold at retail stores! So there should be no reservations about making these figures the way theyre supposed to be made. 

Legends would not make a Thor, Captain America, Spider-Man action figure on the same mold. Therefore there's no reason to release all or majority of female figs on the same mold. 

10 hours ago, Atlantis said:

I find this bizarre, because they sold the first Black Cat, cleavage and all, at retail stores and she was on that Ms. Marvel/Rogue buck. No issues. Target had an exclusive 3 pack of Cap, Radioactive Man, and Ms. Marvel on that "curvy" buck. Rogue was also sold at retail, and in fact was just re-released some months ago at Target. It just makes no sense that "these cant be sold at retail stores"... when they've already been sold at retail stores! So there should be no reservations about making these figures the way theyre supposed to be made.

I don’t think the assertion that the Goblyn Queen would be a problem for retail has anything to do with body shape, but instead the quantity and coverage of the clothes she’d be wearing, which are definitely considerably more “scandalous” than a full bodysuit, with or without cleavage.

10 hours ago, Atlantis said:

Legends would not make a Thor, Captain America, Spider-Man action figure on the same mold.

Don’t tempt them! They absolutely would if they thought they could get away with it.

Darkstar looks good, but since i don't plan to complete Ursa Major or the Winter Guard, I will likely pass.  iirc she was in the Defenders for a very brief stint.. but i might be getting mixed up with the female Red Guardian.

as far as the cleavage issue, its hard to find rhyme or reason in hasbro's decisions.... e.g., in addition to the older Black Cat figure, hasbro was OK with making Angela and the WG exclusive Emma Frost.  I honestly don't really care if they downsize the chest somewhat, not a big deal to me if that's what it takes to get certain characters made as figures. I do feel like plenty of marvel comic artists still do a lot of cheesecake illustrations of female characters (even if its not as prevalent as it was in the 90s or aughts) , but i suppose comics aren't marketed to ages 4+.  I dunno.

2 hours ago, Benn said:

I don’t think the assertion that the Goblyn Queen would be a problem for retail has anything to do with body shape, but instead the quantity and coverage of the clothes she’d be wearing, which are definitely considerably more “scandalous” than a full bodysuit, with or without cleavage.

I don't know about that....Angela has more or less the same coverage as the Goblyn Queen, and she was in the stores. But my main point was that those specific bucks that people are saying "can't be sold" have already been sold.

Lots of fans hated Blizzard 'cause he was so plain, but I liked what they did. They should re-do him in that darker blue/black suit with the backpack though (Gregor Shapanka). 

Upon second thought maybe not...their track record with back packs isn't that great (Silver Centurion, Stealth Armor)...

42 minutes ago, Atlantis said:

Lots of fans hated Blizzard 'cause he was so plain, but I liked what they did. They should re-do him in that darker blue/black suit with the backpack though (Gregor Shapanka). 

Speaking of Blizzard, I ended up buying a Tamashii Nations ice effect piece for him and he looks pretty neat standing with one feet on the ice. If Hasbro ever redoes Blizzard, I really hope they include some ice effects. And considering Donnie Gill is currently wearing Shapanka's outfit, I wouldn't mind getting a figure of that costume that could double for either of the two Blizzards.

25 minutes ago, Atlantis said:

Lots of fans hated Blizzard 'cause he was so plain,

Not just the plainness of the design, but the total lack of accessories or interchangeable parts aside from the BAF piece that I would never complete. I like the character and would like to include him in my collection, but twice I had him in my hand and thought, "Twenty dollars for this? Mmmm naaahhh."

You'd think with how many versions of Iceman they've made over the last couple years that Hasbro would have some decent ice effects by now, but nope.