Winter Hulk Is Coming

JayC

5 hours ago, JayC said:

Im not defending that this is a good story cause I havent read any of it, but I am just curious if you all have, or just making an assumption its going to suck?

Making an assumption to be completely honest. But my assumption is based on what info they have given me. There is that whole you can’t judge a book by its cover adage but by looking at this cover I can fathom no direction this will go that it would be good. 

I mean, people make purchase decisions based on how something looks and reading the adverts trying to sell this to me. Neither the synopsis nor the art appeal to me, in fact it makes me not want to buy the book. 

6 hours ago, JayC said:

Im not defending that this is a good story cause I havent read any of it, but I am just curious if you all have, or just making an assumption its going to suck?

I've read every issue of the book so far and I'm still pulling it like a chump. The thing thats so frustrating about the book is that not everything sucks; if it did, it'd be easy to write off like Bendis GotG.

The run has had some neat ideas. The flashbacks to the prehistoric "Avengers" team are fun. The Vampire war and Age of Khonshu was a neat concept, Heroes Reborn is distanced from mainline Marvel in a cool way as a one-off arc. But even when he's pitching great ideas, his awful character writing, garbage continuity, and poor execution leave it middling at best. And his She-Hulk has been the weakest element of the book by a longshot- so while I can't speak to this story itself until September when I end up reading it, my expectations are extremely low.

On 6/24/2021 at 6:14 PM, Fyrefly21 said:

I've read every issue of the book so far and I'm still pulling it like a chump. The thing thats so frustrating about the book is that not everything sucks; if it did, it'd be easy to write off like Bendis GotG.

The run has had some neat ideas. The flashbacks to the prehistoric "Avengers" team are fun. The Vampire war and Age of Khonshu was a neat concept, Heroes Reborn is distanced from mainline Marvel in a cool way as a one-off arc. But even when he's pitching great ideas, his awful character writing, garbage continuity, and poor execution leave it middling at best. And his She-Hulk has been the weakest element of the book by a longshot- so while I can't speak to this story itself until September when I end up reading it, my expectations are extremely low.

I loved the Vampire War arc which I feel is the strongest arc, but I dropped it at the Phoenix tournament, only picked up the King in Black tie-in. His characterization of Thor is another weak point with every issue him getting his ass beat and being weak; meanwhile Cates has him do something great 

On 6/24/2021 at 8:14 PM, Fyrefly21 said:

My consensus is that, I assume contrary to Aaron's intent, the filler bridge issues are more interesting than his main story arcs. Aaron should have made the main focus of his run the geo-political intrigue he keeps in the background. That is the strongest concept in his entire run and it's a pity that until now, the Winter Guard and the Squadron Supreme mostly only appear in the in-between arcs issues to remind us that they exist. This next arc sounds dumb but at least it's putting the Winter Guard plot in the foreground... 40+ issues into his run. Geez.