Echo Embraces The Cosmic Power Of The Phoenix Force

JayC

The Phoenix Force has chosen a new host! Spinning directly out of Jason Aaron’s Avengers storyline “Enter the Phoenix” comes PHOENIX SONG: ECHO #1, a brand-new series from best-selling Hugo Award winning novelist Rebecca Roanhorse and rising star artist Luca Maresca (Avengers). Roanhorse previously wrote the Cheyenne hero in last year’s Marvel’s Voices: Indigenous Voices #1 and now returns to the saga of Maya Lopez as she deals with her biggest transformation yet. The exhilarating story will be packed with revelations about both Echo’s ancestry and the Phoenix Force mythos as well as the debut of new heroes and the shocking return of an iconic X-Men villain…

Echo is now the host of one of the most powerful entities in the Marvel Universe, and she has burning questions that demand answers. Still learning her new cosmic abilities—and struggling with the Phoenix’s overwhelming personality—Echo strikes out to return to her roots. But the reservation has even fewer answers. And where power goes, evil follows. Someone wants Echo to fail—and unleash a power only the greatest heroes in history have been able to control.

"I am excited to return to Echo in her first solo series and follow this thrilling new direction Jason Aaron has taken her,” said Roanhorse. “Readers will see some old favorites reimagined and some entirely new characters as Echo comes to terms with the incredible and dangerous powers of the Phoenix."

Check out the main cover by Cory Smith as well as a variant cover by Leinil Francis Yu and don’t miss the story that will light the Marvel Universe on fire when PHOENIX SONG: ECHO #1 hits stands on October 6th!

PHOENIX SONG: ECHO #1 (OF 5)
Written by REBECCA ROANHORSE
Art by LUCA MARESCA
Cover by CORY SMITH
Variant Cover by LEINIL FRANCIS YU
On Sale 10/6!

PHXSONGECHO20210001_cvr.jpg

PHXSONGECHO20210001_Yu-var.jpg

*sigh*

why can't the Phoenix just rest in peace? Why keep bringing it back and sticking it to new people?

I was cool with the storyline of it being a copy of Jean Grey but enough already.  Once they made Jean Phoenix again I threw my arms in the air...then they Killed off Jean and I quit reading comics cuz I knew she'd resurrect again.

Echo was a very intriguing character without going all "Cosmic Chicken"

Again...rehashing the past does not a good story make.  

Im grumpy shark today. 

They just keep going back to drain that well, can't come up with their own ideas, just rip off work from others who came before them and did it 10x better. They didn't do any of the work required to attain the great results of those they're ripping off. Sure, this isn't a straight steal, but its just as bad, just rehashing the same crap that's been recycled again and again.  

I think the uniqueness of the Phoenix died when there were 5 individuals all powered up by it at the same time a few years back.

i was under the impression their was something special about Jean that drew the Phoenix to her. Phoenix seems to be slumming these days.

kinda hope Bendis is pissed that someone took his gritty street level character and made her into something completely different. Then he’d know how Avengers fans felt when he took over.

speaking of the Avengers, is Phoenix becoming more of an Avengers villain and less of an X villain these days? 

On 7/1/2021 at 9:57 PM, McHogan said:

I think the uniqueness of the Phoenix died when there were 5 individuals all powered up by it at the same time a few years back.

i was under the impression their was something special about Jean that drew the Phoenix to her. Phoenix seems to be slumming these days.

To be fair, when that happened, the phoenix was on its way to find a specific special host who had been implied to have some intrinsic quality in common with Jean (other than just red hair), but Tony Stark tried to blow it up and accidentally split it into the five nearest creatures. Don't get me wrong, the phoenix has long been a dead horse that didn't need beating, but your take is pretty consistent with the AvX storyline.

On 7/1/2021 at 10:23 PM, Benn said:

To be fair, when that happened, the phoenix was on its way to find a specific special host who had been implied to have some intrinsic quality in common with Jean (other than just red hair), but Tony Stark tried to blow it up and accidentally split it into the five nearest creatures. Don't get me wrong, the phoenix has long been dead horse that didn't need beating, but your take is pretty consistent with the AvX storyline.

Yeah that’s the exact storyline I was thinking of. If I’m not mistaken it was looking for Hope Summers. 

AVX.. one one hand it was fun to have an Avengers/ XMen throw down but shoe horning the Phoenix with K’un L’un and the Iron Fist was a reach. Overall on ok story

Phoenix though, much like the Infinity Stones are becoming a crutch in place of creative writing

Also what’s the deal with street level characters wielding cosmic entities these day? Didn’t they just announce that Black Cat was going to wield the Infinity Gauntlet soon?

like I said.. a crutch instead of creative writing.. I can’t imagine that either Cosmic Black Cat and Echo will be little more than a blip in Marvels history.

On 7/1/2021 at 11:59 PM, McHogan said:

Didn’t they just announce that Black Cat was going to wield the Infinity Gauntlet soon?

They didn't announce such thing. The story is that she has been hired to steal the Infinity Stones, with both the wrinkle that the stones are currently bonded to people and the fact that Felicia is 100% in over her head trying to do that. That's what they've announced.

On 7/1/2021 at 10:47 PM, ADour said:

They didn't announce such thing. The story is that she has been hired to steal the Infinity Stones, with both the wrinkle that the stones are currently bonded to people and the fact that Felicia is 100% in over her head trying to do that. That's what they've announced.

And that sounds like a laughable plot. Any individual wielding just one infinity stone would probably be a match for the Avengers but lil ol Black Cat is gonna take out all 5 infinity stone wielders 1 at a time?? Marvel writing has really hit rock bottom.

PS Yay, girl power

On 7/2/2021 at 8:17 PM, Gigantor said:

And that sounds like a laughable plot. Any individual wielding just one infinity stone would probably be a match for the Avengers but lil ol Black Cat is gonna take out all 5 infinity stone wielders 1 at a time?? Marvel writing has really hit rock bottom.

PS Yay, girl power

And where are you getting that she will even take them out?

Oh yeah, out of your butt. Like all your modern comic-based opinions.

On 7/2/2021 at 6:34 PM, ADour said:

And where are you getting that she will even take them out?

Oh yeah, out of your butt. Like all your modern comic-based opinions.

Then why write her as someone being capable of accomplishing this mission? But hey, you & the 10 other people buying this series enjoy it.

On 7/2/2021 at 7:22 PM, ADour said:

And where are you getting that she will accomplish the mission?

Oh wait, the last question had the same answer.

Then why bother writing a story where her mission will end in failure? They obviously are writing her as the "only" one with the skill to accomplish said mission, correct?  Unless the writers have powered her up lately, her only power is a "bad luck" power.

On 7/2/2021 at 10:15 PM, Gigantor said:

Then why bother writing a story where her mission will end in failure? They obviously are writing her as the "only" one with the skill to accomplish said mission, correct?  Unless the writers have powered her up lately, her only power is a "bad luck" power.

I was going to joke that you're from the future and have read the story and that's clearly why you're giving your opinion with such authority... but then I realized that's too far-fetched of a scenario. Not because of the time-travel part, but the part about you talking about something you know about.

On 7/2/2021 at 9:50 PM, ADour said:

I was going to joke that you're from the future and have read the story and that's clearly why you're giving your opinion with such authority... but then I realized that's too far-fetched of a scenario. Not because of the time-travel part, but the part about you talking about something you know about.

Hey relax bro,.. there is taking offense to a personal attack and then being offended by an opinion in which we are all entitled. 

No one here attacked you personally, we were all having fun at Marvel’s Expense. So disagree if you want but nothing that was said needs to be escalated..

so you are a fan of today’s Marvel. Myself, Gigantor and MANY others are not so much. Live and let live friend, I begrudge you nothing for your opinion. But maybe take it down a notch, I’m not here to troll but  not here to squabble over comic books or toys either. I’ve disagreed with many opinions here, but that’s what makes this site so great, freedom of opinion.

On 7/2/2021 at 11:47 PM, McHogan said:

Hey relax bro,.. there is taking offense to a personal attack and then being offended by an opinion in which we are all entitled. 

No one here attacked you personally, we were all having fun at Marvel’s Expense. So disagree if you want but nothing that was said needs to be escalated..

so you are a fan of today’s Marvel. Myself, Gigantor and MANY others are not so much. Live and let live friend, I begrudge you nothing for your opinion. But maybe take it down a notch, I’m not here to troll but  not here to squabble over comic books or toys either. I’ve disagreed with many opinions here, but that’s what makes this site so great, freedom of opinion.

I'm afraid that you got me wrong. I'm not taking offense on anybody's opinion here, I'm just saying how things are. Most people here complaining about modern Marvel are talking out of their ass. Simple as that.

I have no problem with people giving modern Marvel flak, and I have no problem giving modern Marvel flak myself. I could gladly complain about the things I don't like about modern Marvel: certain writers like Jason Aaron or Christopher Cantwell, event burnt-out, lack of editorial oversight, the stimulation of the speculative market with variant covers flooding the shelves, the trigger-happiness of cancelling series before they can find their footing, the excessive wanking of the X-Men right now, etc. Hell, right now I'm completely disillusioned with Marvel's current handling of Iron Man by the aforementioned Cantwell. But I don't normally do that because that's not my thing.

So going back to what I said, I have no problem with people giving modern Marvel flak... if it's warranted. And in this forum you don't really see that kind of thing. What you find is people that don't read comics since before I was born pretending to be experts based on hearsay or assumptions. I'm just pointing that out. Setting the record straight is objective.

And applying that to this upcoming Black Cat story arc: Maybe it will be some senseless wanking of Black Cat with her single-handedly defeating 6 people in control of primordial powers (which I doubt since Jed MacKay is a good writer). But the first part of this story won't even be out for four more weeks and the story won't be over for five, maybe six months.