Next Week Is Shaping Up To Be A Big Week For Marvel Legends Reveals

JayC

On 7/17/2021 at 2:57 AM, Atlantis said:

If people are lining up to pay $50.00 for a MODOK and Hasbro sees that, best believe they'll go further.

So let's look at the landscape. MODOK, a redo of a Toybiz BAF, $50. Sentinel, another redo from TB, $350. Galactus, yet another TB redo, $400. I think it's obvious they're trying to get the biggest TB redos out of the way now so they can get them off their plate. I think it's a pretty good bet that Giant Man is next. The thing is, what will it be? I doubt it will be a Haslab, cuz even at say 24" it's still going to be little more than paint on a naked buck that they can't really justify charging all that much for. Will people be willing to pay maybe $100 for that, maybe $150 in a Deluxe format? What is our threshold for paying a premium price for something we got as a "bonus" not so long ago? We know for sure it won't be a BAF, but it is a buck that they can use for any number of characters or costumes like Goliath or Yellowjacket or Atlas.

*shrugs* Galactus isn't an army builder, and let's face it x-men collectors is probably the largest subset of ML comic figure collectors so it doesn't surprise me that the numbers for the Sentinel rose more quickly.  That said, imo Galactus will definitely be made, even if hasbro has to either extend the deadline or lower the threshold below 14,000.  I'm sure many people will wait until close to the deadline so they can see what kind of extras will be included (and of course many require some time to get a spare $400 together).

And i dunno, i can't think of too many other huge characters that are popular enough to merit haslab treatment.  I don't think Giant Man or Fin Fang Foom would cut it.  I could see them going in an entirely different direction next year and trying to do a vehicle or a role-play item instead.

On 7/19/2021 at 8:29 AM, monron999 said:

So let's look at the landscape. MODOK, a redo of a Toybiz BAF, $50. Sentinel, another redo from TB, $350. Galactus, yet another TB redo, $400. I think it's obvious they're trying to get the biggest TB redos out of the way now so they can get them off their plate. I think it's a pretty good bet that Giant Man is next. The thing is, what will it be? I doubt it will be a Haslab, cuz even at say 24" it's still going to be little more than paint on a naked buck that they can't really justify charging all that much for. Will people be willing to pay maybe $100 for that, maybe $150 in a Deluxe format? What is our threshold for paying a premium price for something we got as a "bonus" not so long ago? We know for sure it won't be a BAF, but it is a buck that they can use for any number of characters or costumes like Goliath or Yellowjacket or Atlas.

A super-huge Giant Man would be awesome, but I don't know if he's quite as iconic (partly due to having so many different costumes) as Galactus, a Sentinel, or even Modok. I wouldn't count on a super-huge redo of him. Now, if he goes Giant some more in The MCU, I could see them doing a HasLab, or "super-deluxe" single-release of a 2-foot-tall Giant Man, though. 

On 7/19/2021 at 9:04 AM, bashpics99 said:

*shrugs* Galactus isn't an army builder, and let's face it x-men collectors is probably the largest subset of ML comic figure collectors so it doesn't surprise me that the numbers for the Sentinel rose more quickly.  That said, imo Galactus will definitely be made, even if hasbro has to either extend the deadline or lower the threshold below 14,000.  I'm sure many people will wait until close to the deadline so they can see what kind of extras will be included (and of course many require some time to get a spare $400 together).

And i dunno, i can't think of too many other huge characters that are popular enough to merit haslab treatment.  I don't think Giant Man or Fin Fang Foom would cut it.  I could see them going in an entirely different direction next year and trying to do a vehicle or a role-play item instead.

I would LOVE a playset/environment. X-Mansion and/or Danger Room, Avengers mansion, MCU Avengers HQ...

To me, an environment would have so many more display options than a vehicle. Don't get me wrong, I would still be interested in a Blackbird or Fantasticar, but I think an awesome environment/playset would be a great way to display dozens of figures, and make for a great display centerpiece. 

I hope they don't do a role play item for Haslab, at least not in place of something figure-related. I totally get the appeal, but There's 99.5% chance it would be something I'd have no interest in buying for anything close to the asking price. 

On 7/16/2021 at 3:30 PM, monron999 said:

I dunno, 14,000 backers is a big order. It's a really big jump from any Haslab to date. I think the Jabba's Barge was 8,000, but then again, it was $700. I guess the higher production goal is to insure the "lower" pricing of $400, and I do think they will get there. Personally, I wasn't that interested till I saw the size and now I'm actually more interested in this that the Sentinel, and I got 2 of those. I just don't see them getting much past that mark though, so exactly how many stretch awards can we expect to see? Remember, the Sentinel barely made it to 16,000 units and it was of a character that many people bought multiples of as an army builder. How many people are really planning to buy 3 of these just to display with all 3 faceplate? I'll be satisfied with one with this one. I guess I'm just at the wait and see phase, which I'm betting a lot of us will be. I'm just glad they extended the funding deadline on this one.

Jabba's Barge was $500.00, if I'm remembering correctly. It was not more than that. It was a bargain for that price, too- beautiful.

Galactus is so iconic... they will have no problem reaching the goal, and then some. With today's pricing on "high end collectibles," too, this is a fair price. Is it still a lot of money? Definitely. And I still think it would be nice if the big Haslab projects had payment plans, but, still, this is a nice figure, and HUGE. With what statues are going for, and Hot Toys figures, etc.., $400.00 fir a super-posable light-up Galactus that's about the size of my 4-year-old seems fair. Plus, I'm sure at least one 6" figure will end up being included. Shipping is also factored in with these Haslab projects, which is NOT cheap. I think as more and more of these Haslab projects happen, you are also getting more resellers, whoa re seeing that there's a great aftermarket demand for these items months down the road. So, you won't have as many collectors, with Galactus as opposed to the Sentinel, buying more than one for themselves, but you will see a fair amount of people buying one or two for resale (I don't blame people who have the money and space.). I'm good with the one fore me that I will (eventually) order/pledge, but I'm sure we'll see at least a couple of stretch goals reached with this project, if not several.

Giant man would make a great Haslab. not only that but if you never wanted another Pym (again), they can give us a Raz head or even an Ultron head (wouldn't be 100% accurate but it would be a nice nod to the Quicksilver and Crystal wedding).

Wasp would be the obvious choice as one of the pack-ins but if they really wanted to they would make it the Nadia version.

On 7/19/2021 at 3:13 PM, tarot said:

Giant man would make a great Haslab. not only that but if you never wanted another Pym (again), they can give us a Raz head or even an Ultron head (wouldn't be 100% accurate but it would be a nice nod to the Quicksilver and Crystal wedding).

Wasp would be the obvious choice as one of the pack-ins but if they really wanted to they would make it the Nadia version.

Nope Nadia doesn't need to be a pack in, neither does Jan. Just have Giant Man in various sizes (maybe outfits) like the SDCC Hank Pack

0fb496da-b4ec-487c-b7af-7ae1edda40bd.jpg

On 7/19/2021 at 9:04 AM, bashpics99 said:

I guess a lot of it depends on how the entire Phase 4 starts to lay out. If Eternals hits good I can see them trying to push some kind of Celestial through. Of all the iffy stuff we're seeing about the movie, at least the Celestial designs are cool. I can also almost guarantee the next call will be for The Watcher, but I just don't think it'll have the "Pop" of either Sentinel or Galactus. Maybe Ice Giants or Mangog if they wanna give Thor some love. I could see maybe Mole Man's Giganto or some other Kirby style monsters getting some pretty good turn out. Who knows. Maybe they'll move to vehicles like the Hellcharger or Punisher's War Wagon (?). Of course, they'd have to put a lot of bells and whistles on both of those to justify anything more than $100. As far as playsets, I know a lot of people are in for that, but to me those kinds of set ups are better done as dioramas, plus they take up a lot less space. Oh space, valuable space, how I long for more, but it is actually the single thing that keeps me from buying everything I want and putting me in the poor house.

On 7/19/2021 at 8:29 AM, monron999 said:

I don't want YJ in giant form, his main function as YJ was either be normal sized or insect sized. His Giantman/Goliath stints is where he was always depicted going from normal size to gigantic proportions. A 24' Buck could be utilized for Giant man/Goliath/Evil Goliath, Black Goliath and I suppose Atlas & maybe even Hawkeye when he took the growth serum for a while & became Goliath.

On 7/21/2021 at 9:31 AM, Gigantor said:

I don't want YJ in giant form, his main function as YJ was either be normal sized or insect sized. His Giantman/Goliath stints is where he was always depicted going from normal size to gigantic proportions. A 24' Buck could be utilized for Giant man/Goliath/Evil Goliath, Black Goliath and I suppose Atlas & maybe even Hawkeye when he took the growth serum for a while & became Goliath.

I know Yellowjacket is mostly seen as a shrinker rather than grower (heh!), but I'm positive there was a time when Hank Pym took on the role and he grew in both directions. I really think the MCU version of Ant-Man, though he's Scott Lang, is based on Pym's time as YJ, but at this point it's all semantics. In all honesty, if and when they do get around to (re)doing YJ, it would be best to do it as normal sized with a miniature version included and when they get around doing a Giant Man they do it in a two pack that would include a normal sized version. I would pay around $100 for a GM two pack similar to what they did with the Sentinel/Logan DOFP two pack.

On 7/21/2021 at 4:13 PM, monron999 said:

I know Yellowjacket is mostly seen as a shrinker rather than grower (heh!), but I'm positive there was a time when Hank Pym took on the role and he grew in both directions. I really think the MCU version of Ant-Man, though he's Scott Lang, is based on Pym's time as YJ, but at this point it's all semantics. In all honesty, if and when they do get around to (re)doing YJ, it would be best to do it as normal sized with a miniature version included and when they get around doing a Giant Man they do it in a two pack that would include a normal sized version. I would pay around $100 for a GM two pack similar to what they did with the Sentinel/Logan DOFP two pack.

Hank has grown both was as YJ, but I personally I don't see YJ as a growing persona.

6122611d9615b64953ee26bd95a10155.jpg

On 7/21/2021 at 3:19 PM, LordVenger said:

What about a 15” awesome android. Is that too small to be a haslab. Is it too big to be a deluxe or baf?  Maybe packed with mad thinker?

I think Awesome Andy is destined to be a BAF. He's nowhere near big or complicated enough to be a HasLab project, nor do I think he's popular or iconic enough to merit a deluxe version, even if packed with the Mad Thinker. Much more likely, the Thinker appears in a future Fantastic Four wave (maybe when the movie comes out) and Awesome Android is the BAF (though it won't be as tall as 15 inches, probably more like ten).

On 7/21/2021 at 4:24 PM, RyanDaly said:

I think Awesome Andy is destined to be a BAF. He's nowhere near big or complicated enough to be a HasLab project, nor do I think he's popular or iconic enough to merit a deluxe version, even if packed with the Mad Thinker. Much more likely, the Thinker appears in a future Fantastic Four wave (maybe when the movie comes out) and Awesome Android is the BAF (though it won't be as tall as 15 inches, probably more like ten).

But Ryan. He needs to be bigger than 10”.  But I agree with you it probably makes sense to be a baf in a ff wave. 

On 7/21/2021 at 7:12 PM, LordVenger said:

But Ryan. He needs to be bigger than 10”.  But I agree with you it probably makes sense to be a baf in a ff wave. 

I know, I know, but I think Awesome Andy will suffer the same fate as the Kree Sentry.

Now, if you want a 14-15" deluxe FF villain, might I interest you in something like... Dragon Man?

On 7/21/2021 at 7:53 PM, RyanDaly said:

I know, I know, but I think Awesome Andy will suffer the same fate as the Kree Sentry.

Now, if you want a 14-15" deluxe FF villain, might I interest you in something like... Dragon Man?

Well of course you could although I don’t really view dragon man as a villain. How about this: A haslab box set of 15” awesome android with mad thinker and 15” dragon man with Diablo. Would you back that?