Black Widow Brings In $158 Million Globally From Movie Theaters And 60 Million From Disney+ It's Opening Weekend

JayC

Black Widow, the first Marvel movie to hit theaters since the COVID pandemic began had an impressive weekend opening bringing in $80 from domestic movie theaters. Globally it brought in $78 million making the total theatrical take $158 million. On top of that it brought in an additional $60 million from those who watched the movie at home through Disney+ when they paid an additional $30 for premium access.

Black-Widow-Movie-Poster__scaled_600.jpg

I just watched it last night. It wasnt bad but it was definitely average in enjoyment compared to the rest of the mcu. The twist was kind of ruined for me slightly but wasnt a deal breaker overall for me. like a 6.5 imo. Definitely not worth $30. 

I liked it but didn't love it. If I had to compare it, it's like the star wars solo movie. Average at best but entertaining. 

But I think most people would agree that a certain character was butcher. Not the gender, cause we all expected that, but the way it was portrayed. 

Out of 24 feature films in the MCU saga, I rank Black Widow at 15. I thought it was enjoyable and entertaining, but hardly essential viewing (especially since we already know the protagonist's ultimate fate). David Harbor was a ton of fun as Red Guardian, but in retrospect I'm not sure how much he added to the overall story.

What surprised me was the Taskmaster reveal in that... I actually liked it a lot. I've never really cared about Taskmaster in the comics, so the fact that the movie did something unique and made it a personal, redemptive part of Nat's story, I thought that was great. In fact, I like of liked that part more than Nat's interactions with either Aleksei or Yelena. 

Anyway, it wasn't the best but it was fun and it was nice to see ScarJo get a big sendoff one more time. 

On 7/11/2021 at 7:27 PM, RyanDaly said:

What surprised me was the Taskmaster reveal in that... I actually liked it a lot. I've never really cared about Taskmaster in the comics, so the fact that the movie did something unique and made it a personal, redemptive part of Nat's story, I thought that was great. In fact, I like of liked that part more than Nat's interactions with either Aleksei or 

Ironically it was the Taskmaster reveal, which honestly you see coming a mile away, that people are dismissing the movie. Like I said it not the gender it the way it was shown. It was a plot device rather then a character 

As to the Taskmaster thing, I really enjoyed the character in Deadpool and this, obviously, had nothing to do with that character. I'm fine with movies having to change aspects of characters that are in comics just because of the realities and limitations of the medium. I was fine with Stark inventing Ultron rather than Pym. The reason why I think the movie kind of wasted Taskmaster though was that she didn't have any dialogue or personality. Her power was cool and they did a good job showcasing her doing some of the Avengers' signature moves. It's a small complaint about the character being wasted. I definitely enjoyed the movie. The actors were all interesting to watch, the Bond plot and villain were great. The setup for the Hawkeye series was a good tease. I am really enjoying Julia Louise Dreyfus and whatever her role in the MCU is. I wonder if she is leading us to a new Avengers team or another series, possibly a Dark Avengers. She's got two killers on her team so far.

On 7/11/2021 at 6:45 PM, ransomz said:

I wonder if she is leading us to a new Avengers team or another series, possibly a Dark Avengers. She's got two killers on her team so far.

The prevailing theory seems to be Dark Avengers or Thunderbolts, or most likely a sort of fusion of both ideas because they're so similar, though what they end up being called is unknown.

I liked the movie, all the characters were portrayed well. Like most I think the reveal of Taskmaster was a bit of a waste of the character and a bit divisive, just being someone else's puppet was a bit dry. Hear me out, a possibly better reveal and use of the character would have been if they had doubled down on the double/triple agent scenario, where Taskmaster was actually controlling Dreykov, without Dreykov's knowledge, using the pheromone story device on him. This would also reveal Taskmaster as the actual control over the redroom, using it as a base to train other would be henchman and villains. Ticking the comic lore boxes of mercenary, trainer etc. This could have made it an ideal for the revenge plot/storyarc for Taskmaster against Natasha and Clint. Anyway that's my 2cents. 

I really liked it. I'm glad they didn't do the Rachel Weisz is the real villain here plot that the movie seemed to be heading towards. I also liked the Taskmaster reveal (can you believe some people didn't know that was Olga?). I read X-men comics but not anything outside that and if it wasn't for the Marvel Legends figure from the Onslaught wave, I probably would not have known, much less heard of, Taskmaster.