Hasbro July 16, 2021 Marvel Legends Live-Stream Coverage - Haslab Galactus

JayC

On 7/18/2021 at 11:24 AM, MonsterChris said:

Nobody actually said that.  I think some folks are jumping to a conclusion a little bit.  Go to 29:39 to hear what Dwight actually said: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zu0CdQ5gKA.  I'd be surprised if they had an honest-to-god troop builder figure as a stretch goal reward and only include one of it.  I think he was either making a joke about getting more faceplates, or something else.

?? He doesn't say anything unlocks or army builders at that timestamp at all.....maybe I need to reboot....

On 7/18/2021 at 4:58 PM, Atlantis said:

?? He doesn't say anything unlocks or army builders at that timestamp at all.....maybe I need to reboot....

Ugh!  I meant 39:29, not 29:39.  Thank you!  And thanks, @Satam for posting the actual.  I'm going to edit my original.

Maybe I should just lean how to link at the timestamp like a normal person...

They're not adding any "builder" stuff to this.  This is another instance of where common sense just ain't prevailing here.  Like people thinking this was going to be the Jump Jet.  Or people not picking up on the Kang being the next big MCU villain while watching Loki, despite well over a year of super obvious hints being dropped (including him actually being cast in a FF movie...).

On 7/18/2021 at 2:46 PM, Satam said:

Be careful using spray paint on styrofoam. Most contain solvents that will melt it. Your best bet is latex house paints and water soluble hobby/craft acrylic stuff.

On 7/18/2021 at 3:11 PM, mako said:

This is ESPECIALLY true of most primers. A good way to get around it is a couple coats of a 50/50 mix of joint compound and white glue or Mod Podge. Also, spray paint is fine if you just want a lump for Terrax to stand on, but you can get a much better effects with just plain old acrylic paints.

Thanks for the pointers, guys! 

On 7/18/2021 at 5:01 PM, Jmacq1 said:

About the only thing I could see that might be army builder-ish would be a Punisher Robot.  And even that isn't "usually" a troop builder (normally it just shows up one at a time).

You musta read a comic where he deployed just 1 Punisher. He usually deploys them in squad like numbers.

On 7/18/2021 at 3:53 PM, Virtualzach said:

I'm starting to think this will be less successful than the Sentinel, watching the numbers very slowly increase.  It'll make target for sure but I wouldn't expect it to break 20k.  Don't get me wrong, I'm getting one and I think it's gorgeous.  I just don't see it as iconic a figure as the Sentinel--people were crazy over that thing and it met target within just days.  

Maybe the better move would have been to price this $50 less and kept the faceplates as one of the 'tier' rewards.  It would have made more sense really.  

I wouldn't say the problem is Galactus not being as iconic as Sentinel; he's just not an army builder. Plus the first stimulus rolled out during the Sentinel campaign so I imagine that helped boost those numbers even more. But even so, there has got to be a lot of collectors, such as myself, that are using these 40+ days to come up with the funds before backing this bad boy.

On 7/18/2021 at 8:00 PM, MODADDYDODOK said:

I wouldn't say the problem is Galactus not being as iconic as Sentinel; he's just not an army builder. Plus the first stimulus rolled out during the Sentinel campaign so I imagine that helped boost those numbers even more. But even so, there has got to be a lot of collectors, such as myself, that are using these 40+ days to come up with the funds before backing this bad boy.

Same.  I'm going to back it; just need to move some money around first.  But I'm only getting one where I got two sentinels.

On 7/18/2021 at 7:00 PM, MODADDYDODOK said:

Plus the first stimulus rolled out during the Sentinel campaign so I imagine that helped boost those numbers even more.

THAT is an excellent point. What's the old saying, "Found money spends easiest?" Plus, cabin fever was making people do some weird stuff.

Would I be happy if Galactus tanked? ABSO-friggin'-LUTELY, POSITIVELY! 

Do I expect it to? No, honestly, not really. But I would be SERIOUSLY surprised if it even remotely approached the numbers the Setinel commanded. 

If Hasbro was smart they would of shown the unlockables for the tiers, Hasbro is being very greedy, I don't mind that  it's  $50 more then the Sentinel, but min is 14k backers, compare to 6k that's  more then Double, the Sentinel was a Army builder, this isn't. So it will not sell/back  as quick as the Sentinel did. You need to motivate your consumers Hasbro, just showing a Galactus figure for $400  isn't  motivated enough for me, so I'll wait to see what the tiers unlock

On 7/19/2021 at 1:00 AM, MODADDYDODOK said:

Yeah, unless people are planning to have a Galactus for each face, I don't see thatmany multiples being bought.

On 7/19/2021 at 2:08 AM, leokearon said:

Yeah, unless people are planning to have a Galactus for each face, I don't see thatmany multiples being bought.

That was my point in another thread. With the Sentinel, I personally know several people that bought multiples. I myself bought 2, but I really don't get the buzz that many people are planning on buying more than one of these. I think the 14,000 is a bit of a reach. And if they do make it what exactly can we expect on the stretch rewards? Do they do one at every thousand they go over? Two thousand? They could literally barely reach the mark and leave the awards on the table. Will Hasbro do the stand up thing and throw in the awards anyway?

On 7/19/2021 at 6:42 AM, monron999 said:

That was my point in another thread. With the Sentinel, I personally know several people that bought multiples. I myself bought 2, but I really don't get the buzz that many people are planning on buying more than one of these. I think the 14,000 is a bit of a reach. And if they do make it what exactly can we expect on the stretch rewards? Do they do one at every thousand they go over? Two thousand? They could literally barely reach the mark and leave the awards on the table. Will Hasbro do the stand up thing and throw in the awards anyway?

Considering they're not likely to reveal anything more than the first reward if they're not making the stretch tiers, no, they probably won't "throw in the awards anyway."  They aren't just thrown in by the goodness of Hasbro's hearts because enough people backed.  They're thrown in because the Crowdfunding has reached a level that they can throw them in and still make an acceptable profit on the item.  If they're not making the profit margin they want, no rewards.  Every so often you'll see a crowdfunding thing throw in a stretch goal that they came close to reaching, but I don't think I've ever heard of any of them including stretch goals that weren't even close (except in cases where some crowdfunding projects continue to allow stretch goals to unlock in pledge managers and such).  The terms of how you get stretch goal items are clear:  Get enough backers.  It's not a promise you're going to get them just because they were unveiled.

I think it's unlikely this thing hits any stretch goals beyond MAYBE the first, because at the rate it's going it's probably going to struggle just to hit the minimum.

I'd hesitate to say the massive number of required buyers is "Hasbro being greedy."  More likely it's what the bean-counters told them they had to have to make the project worth the trouble when there are still global supply-chain problems going on because of COVID.  For example:  The Sentinel had a goal of 6,000...at the time, that was probably close to the minimum order that the Factory/Factories would take.  In the current environment, functioning, reliable factories have a captive audience and they know it.  So the minimum goes up if you want to take "priority" and get your item out on time.

On 7/19/2021 at 7:39 AM, tarot said:

I could be wrong but I don't think they have added the international numbers yet. For example, the Austrailian site opened last night and the counter has barely moved. 

They are definitely not updating all of this in real-time, unfortunately. Considering that we have well over a month to go, Galactus seems like a definite slam-dunk to be made, and I bet we get some stretch goals reached, too. 

On 7/19/2021 at 11:42 AM, monron999 said:

I'll doubt they will throw in any rewards that aren't reached. I remember Takara doing something for Transformers with pre-orders for Grand Maximus, they need 2000 for it to be feasible to make and they would add in extra stuff like his pretender shell if they reached 3000. The they didn't reach 3000 so no shell.

When Hasbro first teased this project months ago, I started selling a bunch of stuff in anticipation that I would need $350 to $450 for Galactus. I made this financial commitment back in May. Last Friday, before I clicked the button to purchase this, I paused and considered whether I think Galactus itself is worth the $400 cost. What if the backers stopped at 14,000 and they don't unlock any stretch goals? What if there are no additional tiers, or what if they're dumb? Does that affect my purchase? Do I still think Big G is worth the $? I decided yes. Whether we get additional figures or effects or whatever pieces might be unlocked, doesn't matter to me. As far as I'm concerned I bought Galactus for $400 plus tax, and if that's all it is, I'm satisfied.

On 7/19/2021 at 5:10 PM, RyanDaly said:

When Hasbro first teased this project months ago, I started selling a bunch of stuff in anticipation that I would need $350 to $450 for Galactus. I made this financial commitment back in May. Last Friday, before I clicked the button to purchase this, I paused and considered whether I think Galactus itself is worth the $400 cost. What if the backers stopped at 14,000 and they don't unlock any stretch goals? What if there are no additional tiers, or what if they're dumb? Does that affect my purchase? Do I still think Big G is worth the $? I decided yes. Whether we get additional figures or effects or whatever pieces might be unlocked, doesn't matter to me. As far as I'm concerned I bought Galactus for $400 plus tax, and if that's all it is, I'm satisfied.

That's the thing, the main focus should be on Galactus not the rewards. When it came to Unicron everyone focused on the Big U and didn't really care about the lame rewards.

Like many of you, I’m holding off to see how it progresses. I’m not entirely sold on this for $400. But throw in a classic Silver Surfer and I am all in (because I refuse to pay $100 on eBay for the Walgreens version I could never find). But since Saturday this thing is limping along, and I suspect over the week it will slow to a trickle. If it gets to 14,000, it will probably barely clear the hurdle, in my opinion.

See the Silver Surfer is the LAST thing I'd want to see as a stretch goal here.  Not just because I have the Walgreens version (both of them) but because the Surfer is a character that they can and have sold at retail on single-cards (or otherwise).  

Basically, I'm totally fine if they want to make a new Surfer...but use the Kickstarter to make some Heralds that we're not likely to get anytime soon, not someone they know they can sell at retail.

On 7/19/2021 at 1:27 PM, Jmacq1 said:

See the Silver Surfer is the LAST thing I'd want to see as a stretch goal here.  Not just because I have the Walgreens version (both of them) but because the Surfer is a character that they can and have sold at retail on single-cards (or otherwise).  

Basically, I'm totally fine if they want to make a new Surfer...but use the Kickstarter to make some Heralds that we're not likely to get anytime soon, not someone they know they can sell at retail.

That Surfer was put on an undersized Sunfire buck & looks like a teen next to Gladiator/BRB/Nova/Quasar. I didn't bother buying him the sec I saw his small stature. Surfer is 6'4 & Hasbro throws him on a buck for 6 ft characters.