Hasbro July 16, 2021 Marvel Legends Live-Stream Coverage - Haslab Galactus

JayC

I have decided NOT to back this even though I want it and the Heralds of Galactus ..especially Nova...I just can't spend that kind of money. 

It hurts my heart as I LOVE Marvel Legends but this is just too much to spend. 

Im bummed but I understand why it's  so high in price...its a fine looking piece of work. I hope it gets enough backers to go into production. 

Speculation:  The designs have already been set for these add-ons, regardless of whether they come with Galactus.  It was the same with the Sentinel add-ons.  The molds may not yet exist but it's a lot of time and resources just to make the base model for a figure.  So I suspect that, whatever is NOT included with Galactus will be released on its own.  Just food for thought.  And I don't want a Surfer with him, tbh...I have a Surfer, many people do, there are already several versions of him out there.  But Nova?  None.  I'd be more incentivized by a figure that's exclusive to this purchase, not something I already have.

Also, I'm sure we could debate Sentinel size all day.  I was trying to illustrate that the one they gave us is an amazing piece of work, will be recognized for what it is and was a great purchase for those of us who went for it.  This was something that was discussed quite a bit during that project.  The more I look at this Galactus, the more impressive it is to me.  If nothing else, people need to realize that it WILL increase in value quite a bit over the years.  Even if you never unbox it, it's a good investment.  And I'm all for helping to support the Haslab process in general.  That Fantasticar, Quin Jet, etc. that people are asking for?  When these projects fail, the likelihood of ever seeing those diminishes greatly.  

On 7/22/2021 at 12:51 PM, Virtualzach said:

Speculation:  The designs have already been set for these add-ons, regardless of whether they come with Galactus.  It was the same with the Sentinel add-ons.  The molds may not yet exist but it's a lot of time and resources just to make the base model for a figure.  So I suspect that, whatever is NOT included with Galactus will be released on its own.  Just food for thought.  And I don't want a Surfer with him, tbh...I have a Surfer, many people do, there are already several versions of him out there.  But Nova?  None.  I'd be more incentivized by a figure that's exclusive to this purchase, not something I already have.

Don't forget that both Surfers released recently have been Walgreens exclusives, and thus not everyone was able to get one, at least without resorting to Ebay. Plus, the dark Surfer isn't his classic look, most people would want the silver version to display alongside Galactus rather than that one. I don't mind getting a new Surfer, but I do think it might have made more sense for Hasbro to just do a Retro Surfer in the F4 retro line, since he's a popular character that would sell better at retail than most other heralds.

Think about the extra 6" figures who came with the Sentinel? They weren't beloved fan-favorite X-Men villains or even something clever like their creator Trask; it was just male and female Bastion sentinels on the most basic bucks with hardly any paint. Hasbro didn't do anything spectacular for those stretch goal figures, so expecting a complex original mold herald like Terrax or Air-Walker is not very realistic. Silver Surfer and Nova are the most uncomplicated, easy to mold, easy to paint, slap-together-at-the-last-moment figures, so these options should not surprise anyone. Hasbro isn't selling 32" Galactus on the strength of a 6" figure in the box. That's absurd. If you weren't willing to pay the $400 for Galactus and expect that might be all you get, this project was never going to be worth it to you.

Definitely no question that this is hella expensive just like sentinel still was but I just think it’s funny that collectors will go on to buy 6” figures for $30 to $100 (or more) but turn around and condemn this 32” monster for being 4 hundo. Apparently THAT’s too much money for a collector in this expensive hobby to save up and invest with. And you’d also have to be an ignoramus to not even think this would be a good investment.
But anyway, my only real complaint here is the short time given to back this thing.

And about Silver Surfer, all I ever really wanted was a Kirby inspired update, which I’m hoping will happen on a retro card one day. But until then, toybiz still has the better looking Surfer from the head and paint work alone (imo).

9A924ACA-C0EB-4C13-9DEF-48B1351DDBE8.jpeg

On 7/22/2021 at 5:04 PM, RyanDaly said:

Also, has it ever been said, directly or implied, that the stretch goal figures that came with the HasLab Sentinel and Galactus will only ever be exclusive to the pack? Is there any reason to believe the 6" Sentinels won't show up as Pulse army builders a year after the HasLab Sentinels ship?

They are exclusives to the set. Is it possible that at some point down the road Hasbro could re-issue those figures in some way, yes nothing is impossible. That doesn't mean it will happen either though.

On 7/22/2021 at 4:34 PM, JayC said:

They are exclusives to the set. Is it possible that at some point down the road Hasbro could re-issue those figures in some way, yes nothing is impossible. That doesn't mean it will happen either though.

I can understand them holding off for a while, like a year or two out or respect for those who backed the project, but after that Hasbro's just leaving money on the table.

So I originally backed the Jabba Sail Barge and thought that it was just a fantastic piece. A piece that couldn't be made or sold at box stores and was something truly unique to fans. I did not back the Razor crest because it just seemed like something that could be re-released at some point, especially considering subsequent re-releaseing of Bobba Fett's "StarShip".

With these Marvel haslabs, I think they are fun pieces, but not really needed. We already had Sentinels (three times) as well as Galactus (two times,or three depending if you count the marvel universe redeco). So I get that collector's may want larger versions or re-do's of the figures. But they're really not that unique or special. Although if I had $400 to burn, sure, a master-mold figure would neat.

I'm sure that Haslab will reach its goal (and stretch goals) but the only thing that I see here that I would mildly want would be the Frankie Raye Nova.. and even that would be a "maybe." It seems like Hasbro is trying to justify the cost by dangling additional figures as stretch goals and adding LED lights (that I don't think any of us are really going to "play" with). 

I think if Hasbro just did this at a $100-150 price point and took away the extra bells and whistles, I think they'd do much better. I'm just not seeing the value here for these Haslab projects. 

On 7/22/2021 at 5:15 PM, Flounnderr said:

I think if Hasbro just did this at a $100-150 price point and took away the extra bells and whistles, I think they'd do much better. I'm just not seeing the value here for these Haslab projects. 

If Hasbro reduced the price by 70%, yeah, of course they would sell more! They also wouldn't make the expected profit, which is the ultimate goal. They've got entire teams of money crunchers working on exactly how much this item costs, how many they have to sell to be profitable, and how much they need to charge in order to make those numbers work. And then they pump those numbers up as much as they think they can before people walk away. 

No corporation factors altruism into their business model. 

On 7/23/2021 at 8:31 AM, RyanDaly said:

If Hasbro reduced the price by 70%, yeah, of course they would sell more! They also wouldn't make the expected profit, which is the ultimate goal. They've got entire teams of money crunchers working on exactly how much this item costs, how many they have to sell to be profitable, and how much they need to charge in order to make those numbers work. And then they pump those numbers up as much as they think they can before people walk away. 

No corporation factors altruism into their business model. 

@JayC

I replied to Dan's tweet (I'm sure it won't be noticed) stating based on the numbers...approx 1,200 overseas backers were added. A bulk of the current total 8,500 backers are from America.

Reason why it is not going up is the price point overseas is too high. Did they even check the stats of how many American buyer bought more than 1 sentinel last year???

To put in perspective, the Galactus has an Australian RRP of $800 which is equivalent to 2 weeks worth of rent or mortgage repayments. Who sets the Australian RRP? Hasbro Australia - keeping in mind all the cost involved to acquire, sell, market etc, operating cost and retailers make a decent profit..how much Hasbro is selling the product to Australian retailers must be too expensive...i would even assume, the Australian retailers are the losers here because with all the cost involved, profit margin is low for a very expensive product.

The sentinel sold so well exceeding 7,000 backers target that Hasbro decided lets sell Galactus and double the target to 14k and increase the price to $500...you can argue it is 6 inches taller, made of what? Plastic the cheapest and cost effective material.

Data analysis is a real thing and has practical applications. I'm not sure if a big and highly profitable company like Hasbro considered using data analytics.

On 7/22/2021 at 2:04 PM, RyanDaly said:

Also, has it ever been said, directly or implied, that the stretch goal figures that came with the HasLab Sentinel and Galactus will only ever be exclusive to the pack? Is there any reason to believe the 6" Sentinels won't show up as Pulse army builders a year after the HasLab Sentinels ship?

Yes.  Because it would all but ensure that future Haslab products aren't funded.  Or are at least not as popular.  One of the main selling points of these characters (and the items they come with) is that they're exclusive to the purchase.

14,000 backers with 399 dollars each to get ...  ANOTHER Silver Surfer (yeiihhhhh 🙄)

Im sure Hasbro will get it (they cant admit a failed project so they may do deals with people to get it) but at least they may learn that is not so easy to be greedy.

BTW, I cant think in more extras than other Heralds ... maybe another head without lights to display the skull plate? Maybe just more face plates? LOL

On 7/23/2021 at 10:14 AM, Virtualzach said:

Message:  Don't ever buy anything made of plastic because it's a rip-off?  What else is made of plastic that you consider worth more for whatever reason?  

You are taking my quote out of context.. I said $50 price hike is not justifiable because they added 6 inches more.

Do you wonder why they are adding a 6 inch plastic figure when the 14k is reached? Because Hasbro can afford it, won't hurt them at all, what hurts to them is this haslab project failing to get a go signal.

It will still eventually reach the 14k, I doubt that it will not. They will pull out all the tricks just to get it going..obviously the product is already made and they already spent marketing money.

On 7/23/2021 at 11:15 AM, Legender said:

14,000 backers with 399 dollars each to get ...  ANOTHER Silver Surfer (yeiihhhhh 🙄)

Im sure Hasbro will get it (they cant admit a failed project so they may do deals with people to get it) but at least they may learn that is not so easy to be greedy.

BTW, I cant think in more extras than other Heralds ... maybe another head without lights to display the skull plate? Maybe just more face plates? LOL

If Hasbro is grateful for the fan support on the Haslab sentinel which is already expensive to begin with, they should lower their price on the Galactus...their gratefulness is give fans what they want (Galactus) but make them commit to a 14k target with an additional $50 usd price tag

On 7/22/2021 at 3:21 PM, Lord_Scareglow said:

Yeah I'd say about that, but maybe not, I just remember various sites selling the Sentinel, I'd say it's at least 500 with exchange on the intial 400, plus taxes, then shipping which has got to be like 50 - 100 dollars on a figure of that size and weight then the probable duties which would be who nows how much, I payed 25 dollars in duties when I got Tokka & Rahzar, no way the customs people are going to overlook a 4 foot tall box that weighs probably a pound plus

You may hear a sound in the distance.....it's the sound of me deflating into an empty pile of skin in a pitiful "SQUEEEEeeeeee......"

Good grief! Yeah, I checked now, you're right, about 500 dollars just with the exchange, then the shipping and yes, naturally, the gov't must have their "told you know not to shop in the US" tax. Yeah, that'll easily come close to 700$. I guess I'll just have to take my chances on ebay if for Nova and whatever other Heralds they make. What a Croc this Haslab is! Behhh! 

Ok, I digress--I didn't realize that everyone here was an expert in economics, had a PhD in Business Marketing and also worked for Hasbro.  Everyone obviously knows exactly what the costs of materials and manufacture are.  And that Hasbro is just being greedy by not selling this for $100 and wanting to make a profit.  Why do I get the feeling that everyone who dislikes the figure and project simply can't afford it?  

The project will fund even if it gets 150 backers/day from now until end of August.  Which it's doing easily.  As for the cost of plastic, if you think this is bad, consider how little goes into each of the standard figures.  Or GI Joes/Transformers that cost even more than today's figures when you factor inflation.  I think what they 'learned' from the Sentinel is how much of a demand for these things there actually is.  So they took on a more ambitious project with loftier targets.  Kudos to them.  In short--if you don't want it, don't buy it.  Or at least stop complaining about a product you have no intention of or simply can't purchase.  

I just realized it’s almost the same size body wise as my 30 inch Spider-man 2 figure from Toybiz. Which always made me wonder why they don’t attempt cheaper rotocast hollow figures but with level detail and articulation that at least from pictures is comparable to statues I think this is super good deal, if I had so much money I would definitely go with that, If we receive 2 additional figures I think price range will be more than justified.