Hasbro July 16, 2021 Marvel Legends Live-Stream Coverage - Haslab Galactus

JayC

On 7/22/2021 at 10:27 AM, Typhis said:

They drop the price a few hundred and maybe I just might bite and order...I just don't think it's worth over $400..don't care if it lights up or not, just over priced.

LOL  I don't see that happening...its not realistic but yeah if they did take off  a hundred or so, I'd reconsider. Thing about these haslab Legends is  so far, they have an almost FAO Schwarz vibe....beautifully done, very well crafted....but ultimately over priced.

On 7/24/2021 at 4:38 AM, leokearon said:

Both. We like our toys that's why we complain.

Exactly. You see something you don't like, you complain. If enough people join in, the company will make it better. The squeaky wheel gets the oil and all that.

It amazes me that some people still don't get that.

On 7/24/2021 at 6:42 AM, mako said:

Exactly. You see something you don't like, you complain. If enough people join in, the company will make it better. The squeaky wheel gets the oil and all that.

If there was a broad consensus, sure. But if there is one thing I have learned from these message boards it is that there isn’t consensus on anything. Some want every character done to scale, others are just happy the character got made at all. Some hate expressions on the heads, others don’t want the figure looking bored. Some only want new figures, others like rereleases since it gives them a chance to get something that they missed before, usually because it was released before they started collecting. So I’m not sure what you’re hoping Hasbro to draw from all of that. It’s a diverse community, and some of the products you will like, and others you won’t. But being negative about what you don’t like isn’t going to change how Hasbro does things, because everyone 100% does not agree on what they want the company to make. In the end it’s a hobby that we should all derive a measure of happiness from. If that’s no longer the case for some, then it’s time to find a new hobby.

On 7/24/2021 at 7:42 AM, mako said:

The "squeaky wheel" card has been utilized & turned into an art form. In the action figure collecting world, it doesn't work that way. All you can do is choose to either buy the item, or not buy the item. Take me for example, I'm OCD about scale compatibility, I will not buy any Todd Batverse DC because they are in the 7' scale & won't scale well with ML. Same for NECA. Mafex is a bit too small in scale as I can't have a Jim Lee Superman be the same hgt as ML Spidey. I have passed on a handful of ML figs due to them being outta scale such as Terrax & Surfer, ones too tall, the other, too small. The Thing is scaled 1 inch too tall, Sasquatch 2 inches too small. 80th Hulk & Juggs, both an 1 inch too tall. In the upcoming retro FF wave, if they use the same buck for the Thing, I won't buy the wave as I'm content with the Walgreens wave & never did find that exclusive Thing, I have the Super Skrull  version as I wasn't gonna pay 2x  the amount on ebay for the Walgreens version.  The making only a "yelling /screaming" head for the figure makes zero sense, you have to include a stoic head sculpt as well. Wolverine & Sabretooth,  should always be packed in with alternate open yelling/screaming head sculpts & mean looking stoic head sculpts, not one or the other! Can I afford Big G, sure, am I a fan of Galactus, yep, just not a big enough fan to fork over $400 that I can utilize on 18 new figures coming out in the future. 

On 7/24/2021 at 5:02 AM, GreenwithNV said:

If there was a broad consensus, sure. But if there is one thing I have learned from these message boards it is that there isn’t consensus on anything. Some want every character done to scale, others are just happy the character got made at all. Some hate expressions on the heads, others don’t want the figure looking bored. Some only want new figures, others like rereleases since it gives them a chance to get something that they missed before, usually because it was released before they started collecting. So I’m not sure what you’re hoping Hasbro to draw from all of that. It’s a diverse community, and some of the products you will like, and others you won’t. But being negative about what you don’t like isn’t going to change how Hasbro does things, because everyone 100% does not agree on what they want the company to make. In the end it’s a hobby that we should all derive a measure of happiness from. If that’s no longer the case for some, then it’s time to find a new hobby.

I can definitely agree that consensus is hard /almost impossible to find on these forums. Still, there are certain standards that should be followed and when they're not, fans are gonna complain. Rightfully so. Because why plunk down money for something that isn't correct or doesn't bring you joy?

Example, a toy line is showcasing "fully articulated" action figures straight from the Marvel Comics. They wouldn't put Spidey, Cap, and Thor all on the same male buck, those are all different body types and there's no reason the figures can't reflect that. So yeah we complain if  they put Riri, Black Widow, & Moondragon on the same buck.

The Hulk and the Thing have open or gripping hands, but no fists?? Female figures can't have biceps swivel or double jointed elbows? These are just some of the things that fan complained about, and while it took a long time, these issues were corrected. If we just sit back and pay for whatever is churned out, quality will suffer. 

While I'm usually not much of a complainer (the whole "why did you make this character and not the one I want" is my personal most hated complaint.), even I have to agree that people have the right to complain if hasbro does something wrong.

Take the recent omega sentinel. They gave her white skin. She is from India. 

Also the hood fiasco. Probably slapped together in a rush but they could have given us a slight snarling head instead of a whole screaming head. 

However, it's alright to complain but don't complain for the sake of being that person who always complains. 

On 7/24/2021 at 10:30 AM, Gigantor said:

In the action figure collecting world, it doesn't work that way. All you can do is choose to either buy the item, or not buy the item.

First politics will be kept off the boards no matter how you try and slip them in.

Second, complaining in any world is pretty meaningless unless its backed up by action which as you point out in the action figure world would be not buying the item. As much as some people like to complain they often don't seem to follow it up with the second part.

On 7/25/2021 at 7:19 PM, JayC said:

As much as some people like to complain they often don't seem to follow it up with the second part.

No truer words have been spoken. The complainers are usually the first to buy the figure and when they can't they whine that they can't get them.

On 7/25/2021 at 10:19 AM, JayC said:

"...Second, complaining in any world is pretty meaningless unless its backed up by action which as you point out in the action figure world would be not buying the item. As much as some people like to complain they often don't seem to follow it up with the second part..."

Excellent. This is why I have, and I believe all collectors should have, a "walking away" point.

As much as I liked Kingpin BAF, I couldn't get into most of the figures needed to build him (and what they did to the Black Cat was just criminal). Fortunately he was released later (and in comic accurate colors to boot- as awful as that outfit is) so I didn't have to walk that far.

But if I find the figure egregiously incorrect (Emma Frost), or overpriced (MODOK, haslab Sentinel), then I won't spend money on it. If more of us did that, the company would see it and act accordingly.

On 7/25/2021 at 1:19 PM, JayC said:

Complaining in any world is pretty meaningless unless its backed up by action which as you point out in the action figure world would be not buying the item.

On 7/25/2021 at 1:32 PM, tarot said:

The complainers are usually the first to buy the figure and when they can't they whine that they can't get them.

On 7/25/2021 at 4:02 PM, Atlantis said:

This is why I have, and I believe all collectors should have, a "walking away" point.

But if I find the figure egregiously incorrect (Emma Frost), or overpriced (MODOK, haslab Sentinel), then I won't spend money on it. If more of us did that, the company would see it and act accordingly.

Agreed.

However, the Marvel Legends model (or any other line with a build-a-figure or similar incentive based program) is designed to mitigate the point where fans "walk away". It highly incentivizes the completist mentality of collectors, regardless of the quality of the figures.

Whether the Hood is the best figure in the wave or a poorly executed, poorly conceived, cynical redeco cash grab on the company's part doesn't matter. He'll sell well enough if enough people want to complete Xemnu. 

Traditionally, the only way for consumers to give feedback to companies is through purchasing or not. "Speak with your wallet..." But the BAF reward system skews that data. It promotes the mentality that consumers should just shut up and accept a crappy product every now and then as long as they complete the free bonus figure at the end. Then the actual feedback of what fans like and don't and what they're willing to take or not may not be clearly conveyed to the company. In other words, if every collector told Hasbro, "This Hood figure is $#@%, don't do this again!" Hasbro looks at their sales charts and thinks, "Well, Hood sold as well as Dormammu and Red Skull and Lady Deathstrike, so no problem with that guy. We can do more like that."

The BAF incentive makes it harder for fans to turn their complaints into acton, like "walking away". And that can be doubly frustrating, which is why so many fans and collectors have no recourse but to scream into the void of the internet, or forums like this one.

And I say all of this as someone who regularly thinks, "Man, the people on this forum need to chill the $@#% out!" But I do understand where [most of] the complaints are coming from, and why sometimes they're cathartic.

On 7/25/2021 at 1:53 PM, RyanDaly said:

Agreed.

However, the Marvel Legends model (or any other line with a build-a-figure or similar incentive based program) is designed to mitigate the point where fans "walk away". It highly incentivizes the completist mentality of collectors, regardless of the quality of the figures.

Whether the Hood is the best figure in the wave or a poorly executed, poorly conceived, cynical redeco cash grab on the company's part doesn't matter. He'll sell well enough if enough people want to complete Xemnu. 

Traditionally, the only way for consumers to give feedback to companies is through purchasing or not. "Speak with your wallet..." But the BAF reward system skews that data. It promotes the mentality that consumers should just shut up and accept a crappy product every now and then as long as they complete the free bonus figure at the end. Then the actual feedback of what fans like and don't and what they're willing to take or not may not be clearly conveyed to the company. In other words, if every collector told Hasbro, "This Hood figure is $#@%, don't do this again!" Hasbro looks at their sales charts and thinks, "Well, Hood sold as well as Dormammu and Red Skull and Lady Deathstrike, so no problem with that guy. We can do more like that."

The BAF incentive makes it harder for fans to turn their complaints into acton, like "walking away". And that can be doubly frustrating, which is why so many fans and collectors have no recourse but to scream into the void of the internet, or forums like this one.

And I say all of this as someone who regularly thinks, "Man, the people on this forum need to chill the $@#% out!" But I do understand where [most of] the complaints are coming from, and why sometimes they're cathartic.

Understood, but I specifically addressed the BAF with my Kingpin take. The BAF was great, not enough of the other figures were, I walked away. The BAF has never been the pull for me. More guys start being good about not having EVERYthing hasbro Legends puts out, more chance of production teams realizing they're gonna have to do better. 

Yes, people complain on this forum. But they also praise. The Legends team has dragged their asses on getting diverse female bodies correct, but they have been excelling on faces! Lightyears ahead of their first swipe at Marvel Legends, and Toybiz. They have made figures of characters I don't even like, and got me to buy them because the work was just so damn spot-on. Nightcrawler...I wish Dave Cockrum had lived long enough to see what they did with Nightcrawler. War Machine! And just now, modular Iron Man, Ultron....words almost fail. 

So I would say although it may seem pointless, never give up. Never stop holding these guys to the quality standard we know they have met and exceeded in some cases. Point out the errors, make suggestions, complain...and walk away now and then. 

On 7/25/2021 at 5:57 PM, Atlantis said:

Understood, but I specifically addressed the BAF with my Kingpin take. The BAF was great, not enough of the other figures were, I walked away. The BAF has never been the pull for me. More guys start being good about not having EVERYthing hasbro Legends puts out, more chance of production teams realizing they're gonna have to do better. 

Yeah, I get that. I think, whether collectors are conscious of it or not, they don't see the BAF as a free/bonus figure; they ascribe a certain dollar value to it based on the calculus of how appealing the wave is. 

For example, when it comes to the Bring On the Bad Guys wave, I wanted Red Skull, Dormammu, Lady Deathstrike, Arcade, and Scientist Supreme. I would have bought each of those characters, regardless of BAF. I did not want The Hood. To me, he was not worth the $23 price tag. But... at that point Xemnu was worth the $23, because I only needed to purchase the one "dud" figure to get Xemnu. Therefore, I wasn't buying the Hood; I was buying Xemnu for the cost of the Hood.

Compare that with the Iron Man wave. I got Stealth Iron Man, Ultron, and Guardsman. I didn't want Darkstar, Hologram Iron Man, or this version of Riri. So now the cost of completing the Ursa Major BAF was the price of three figures, or roughly $70. To me, Ursa Major was not worth that much. I simply don't need a bear in my collection that badly. 

That's how it was for you with the Kingpin BAF. As much as you may have liked it, it wasn't worth the, what, $100 of mediocre figures you didn't want. I've sometimes considered buying the Man-Thing BAF on eBay for approximately $70, thinking that would be less than buying five other figures from the wave that don't interest me, but ultimately, even though I love me some Man-Thing, I'm not dropping $70 on that one. 

On 7/25/2021 at 5:53 PM, RyanDaly said:

so many fans and collectors have no recourse but to scream into the void of the internet, or forums like this one.

I'd phrase it as "commiserating with fellow enthusiasts".  No one would agree with every opinion posted on here, but it's nice to debate with people who care as much as you do about an admittedly trivial thing.  I like coming here to critique because little plastic super-people are important to me.  I want them to be good.  So I "yay" the good stuff and "boo" the bad stuff.

I thought I remebered the Hasbro team mentioning Cannonball getting his legs as a direct result of the fan conversation being resoundingly negative.  Even if I imagined that, I once worked a low-level position in a market research company many years ago.  A forum like this?  Trust me: somebody is reading.  It's not a void.  It's more like a clubhouse for nerds, with all the socially-awkward nerd-rage you can handle.

On 7/25/2021 at 7:09 PM, RyanDaly said:

Yeah, I get that. I think, whether collectors are conscious of it or not, they don't see the BAF as a free/bonus figure; they ascribe a certain dollar value to it based on the calculus of how appealing the wave is. 

For example, when it comes to the Bring On the Bad Guys wave, I wanted Red Skull, Dormammu, Lady Deathstrike, Arcade, and Scientist Supreme. I would have bought each of those characters, regardless of BAF. I did not want The Hood. To me, he was not worth the $23 price tag. But... at that point Xemnu was worth the $23, because I only needed to purchase the one "dud" figure to get Xemnu. Therefore, I wasn't buying the Hood; I was buying Xemnu for the cost of the Hood.

Compare that with the Iron Man wave. I got Stealth Iron Man, Ultron, and Guardsman. I didn't want Darkstar, Hologram Iron Man, or this version of Riri. So now the cost of completing the Ursa Major BAF was the price of three figures, or roughly $70. To me, Ursa Major was not worth that much. I simply don't need a bear in my collection that badly. 

That's how it was for you with the Kingpin BAF. As much as you may have liked it, it wasn't worth the, what, $100 of mediocre figures you didn't want. I've sometimes considered buying the Man-Thing BAF on eBay for approximately $70, thinking that would be less than buying five other figures from the wave that don't interest me, but ultimately, even though I love me some Man-Thing, I'm not dropping $70 on that one. 

I also wasn't enamored with any figure in the KP BAF wave but one day I walked into my local Wally world & I guess I musta caught them unboxing the wave cuz the entire wave was on the pegs & I did want that Kingpin, so I bought the entire wave, built KP & then put everyone up on evilbay. I think I still have 1 or 2 of the figs for sale but the more popular ones in the wave sold, so I kinda like to think I bought KP for around $55 or so. I wanted Stiltman & again, I went to a Target one night & the entire wave was on the pegs, so I got it, kept Frogman & HAND Ninja, put the Spiderverse figs up for sale on evilbay, still got 2 of them.  In my case, if the BAF is a comic based characters & a must have for me, I'll either order the wave on line or if I see it in person at the stores, I'll get it & then sell off whomever I don't care for in the wave. I got entire wave not only for Ursa Major but in this case, I wanted 80% of the wave. Only characters I didn't care for were RiRi & hologram IM, sold them off for $55. Shang  Chi wave was the exception as I only cared for the AI IM due to him being in his classic colors & I found Death Dealer at GS & converted him into a custom HAND Ninja. Hasbro dropped the ball on their choice of head sculpt for Hyde & I didn't care for the MCU figs in the wave. Had Hasbro given Hyde the classic 80s Masters of evil look that the majority of us were asking for, I might have caved & bought the entire wave & sold off the ones I didn't care for on evilBay. With 5 months left in the yr, I only want a handful of figs: 80s Herc, Retro classic Sandman, Quasar, Tigra , I have to see what versions of Excaliber we're getting & as for the retro FF wave, the Thing will be the deal maker or breaker.

On 7/25/2021 at 8:27 PM, Gigantor said:

I wanted Stiltman & again, I went to a Target one night & the entire wave was on the pegs, so I got it, kept Frogman & HAND Ninja, put the Spiderverse figs up for sale on evilbay, still got 2 of them.

Yeah, and in the case of that wave, the only character I didn't want was Spider-Verse Prowler, but I bought him rationalizing that I was actually spending that twenty bucks on Stiltman, my first fully completed BAF.

On 7/26/2021 at 1:51 AM, MonsterChris said:

I'd phrase it as "commiserating with fellow enthusiasts".  No one would agree with every opinion posted on here, but it's nice to debate with people who care as much as you do about an admittedly trivial thing.  I like coming here to critique because little plastic super-people are important to me.  I want them to be good.  So I "yay" the good stuff and "boo" the bad stuff.

I thought I remebered the Hasbro team mentioning Cannonball getting his legs as a direct result of the fan conversation being resoundingly negative.  Even if I imagined that, I once worked a low-level position in a market research company many years ago.  A forum like this?  Trust me: somebody is reading.  It's not a void.  It's more like a clubhouse for nerds, with all the socially-awkward nerd-rage you can handle.

Hasbro have admitted that they do check out fan forums, so if we aren't happy or if we are happy, they know.

On 7/26/2021 at 6:20 PM, GreenwithNV said:

Well, I’m calling it. Galactus is not getting funded. It got less than 120 backers on Saturday, less than 70 yesterday, and has only gotten 25 today. It needs to average 140 per day to hit the goal (let alone stretch goals). Unless something comes to juice the numbers, it’s not even going to be close.

dude chill. it's only been over a week. It'll get funded. 

On 7/26/2021 at 12:20 PM, GreenwithNV said:

Well, I’m calling it. Galactus is not getting funded. It got less than 120 backers on Saturday, less than 70 yesterday, and has only gotten 25 today. It needs to average 140 per day to hit the goal (let alone stretch goals). Unless something comes to juice the numbers, it’s not even going to be close.

Lol It’s definitely getting funded! There is 30+ days still and Im betting that *at least* 25% of the total number will be backers toward the end.  Isn’t that how it goes?  I know I won’t be officially backing it until later on either because I’m still gathering funds for it so..

On 7/24/2021 at 6:42 AM, mako said:

I stand with mako here.. If you have been collecting for a while and keep up with the Hasbro guys, you’d know they have mentioned time and time again that they are watching the boards. We simply say what we like and express what we don’t. Some agree, some don’t. Some are popular, some aren’t. But if complaints bother you enough, then maybe you & others  should spread more praise🤷‍♂️. Either nut up or shut up 😃

On 7/26/2021 at 7:26 PM, MODADDYDODOK said:

Lol It’s definitely getting funded! There is 30+ days still and Im betting that *at least* 25% of the total number will be backers toward the end.  Isn’t that how it goes?  I know I won’t be officially backing it until later on either because I’m still gathering funds for it so..

I stand with mako here.. If you have been collecting for a while and keep up with the Hasbro guys, you’d know they have mentioned time and time again that they are watching the boards. We simply say what we like and express what we don’t. Some agree, some don’t. Some are popular, some aren’t. But if complaints bother you enough, then maybe you & others  should spread more praise🤷‍♂️. Either nut up or shut up 😃

Yeah, there are always loads who wait until the last moment to back a HasLab. I think the sail barge only made it due to last minute backers.

To be clear, I have backed it and want it to succeed. I am simply pointing out that much of the initial excitement has died out. I am surprised, actually. The backer goal is huge, but I did not anticipate the drop off that has occurred over last ten days to be so steep. A declining curve with a bump at the end is inevitable. But I’m of the opinion that the count needs to be north of 12k by the last week (assuming a generous 2k last-minute buyer bump).