Hasbro July 16, 2021 Marvel Legends Live-Stream Coverage - Haslab Galactus

JayC

On 8/19/2021 at 9:14 AM, mako said:

I love it! HasScam is taking figures hostage now!?!

You magnificent b@$+@rds!

LOL, and I love dramatic collectors.  If anyone really thought after revealing it as a stretch goal the figure would see a normal release soon after was gonna happen they are crazy. Hasbro basically stated the obvious but of course leave it to some to say things like they are making threats now or holding figures hostage. Comments like that are likely why they wont just reveal the stretch goals up front.

On 8/19/2021 at 9:17 AM, JayC said:

LOL, and I love dramatic collectors.  If anyone really thought after revealing it as a stretch goal the figure would see a normal release soon after was gonna happen they are crazy. Hasbro basically stated the obvious but of course leave it to some to say things like they are making threats now or holding figures hostage. Comments like that are likely why they wont just reveal the stretch goals up front.

Agreed, stretch goals are the plus for the backers, BUT they shld not even mention it. They just wanna scare people: "If you dont back Galactus u wont see Nova" now that they see their marketing is not enough to sell their greediness (yes, they were greedy on this one, u can increase the price OR the number of backers, no both)

On 8/19/2021 at 3:35 PM, RyanDaly said:

Saying Frankie Raye won't be released in 2022 or 2023 is neither shocking nor unreasonable, because Galactus probably won't come out until 2023.

Probably more likely 2022, given the Sentinel was found this time last year and is supposed to be released soon.

On 8/19/2021 at 11:44 AM, Legender said:

Agreed, stretch goals are the plus for the backers, BUT they shld not even mention it. They just wanna scare people: "If you dont back Galactus u wont see Nova" now that they see their marketing is not enough to sell their greediness (yes, they were greedy on this one, u can increase the price OR the number of backers, no both)

Why shouldn't they mention it especially when asked about it in an interview? If by scare you mean they want to entice people... OF COURSE THEY WANT TO ENTICE PEOPLE, thats the whole point of them.

On 8/19/2021 at 10:51 AM, JayC said:

Why shouldn't they mention it especially when asked about it in an interview? If by scare you mean they want to entice people... OF COURSE THEY WANT TO ENTICE PEOPLE, thats the whole point of them.

They already enticed people "if you get Galactus u get Nova", using fear is "If you dont get Galactus u dont get Nova EVER", maybe is just POV, anyways is not working mostly coz there was a nice figure (the Universe) for just a fraction of the price of the Haslab a few years ago.

On 8/19/2021 at 6:17 AM, JayC said:

I can see both sides. It does state the obvious, theyr're not gonna release stretch goal figures anytime soon. But it also does come across like a threat.

Pushing as hard as they're having to, shows Galactus isn't the home run they clearly thought it to be. People are getting nervous. Its a magnificent figure, but at that price point and backer count, its a hard sell (I still say if they had knocked off a hundred, even fifty, they'd be free and clear by now). Even so, its likely gonna get funded.

A threat, yeah, but its a weak one far as I'm concerned. Nova in 2 years? Pfft.

Its been about 8 years for Kang. 16, almost TWENTY since the likes of classic Angel, Luke Cage, Toad, Dr. Strange. And look how long they took to make an accurate classic Ultron. Firelord on the horizon? Inhumans finished yet? No? Nova's the least of my concerns right now. 

On 8/19/2021 at 6:20 PM, Atlantis said:

Its a magnificent figure, but at that price point and backer count, its a hard sell (I still say if they had knocked off a hundred, even fifty, they'd be free and clear by now)

In a hypothetical situation where the product costs 20-30% less, of course it'll sell more. But these numbers aren't pulled out of thin air; they have budget teams working out these numbers to precise formulas. If you knock $50 off the price, then the minimum requirement might jump to 40,000 backers or something. 

On 8/19/2021 at 5:20 PM, Atlantis said:

A threat, yeah, but its a weak one far as I'm concerned. Nova in 2 years? Pfft.

Its been about 8 years for Kang. 16, almost TWENTY since the likes of classic Angel, Luke Cage, Toad, Dr. Strange. And look how long they took to make an accurate classic Ultron. Firelord on the horizon? Inhumans finished yet? No? Nova's the least of my concerns right now. 

Amen brother. 2 years is the blink of an eye in legends time. 

On 8/19/2021 at 6:01 PM, RyanDaly said:

In a hypothetical situation where the product costs 20-30% less, of course it'll sell more. But these numbers aren't pulled out of thin air; they have budget teams working out these numbers to precise formulas. If you knock $50 off the price, then the minimum requirement might jump to 40,000 backers or something. 

You are assuming they use a fair algorithm to set the price. Who really knows how high there profit margin is on these. 

On 8/20/2021 at 1:47 AM, LordVenger said:

You are assuming they use a fair algorithm to set the price. Who really knows how high there profit margin is on these. 

I realize everyone thinks that corporate greed means they gouge profit margins, but there's actually a bit of art and a lot of science to balancing profit margins vs. keeping things in price ranges that enough people are reasonably willing to pay.  Generally speaking, manufacturers don't just arbitrarily raise prices, because every price increase (PARTICULARLY in niche markets like say, collectibles mostly aimed at adults) tends to result in fewer people buying.  Sometimes those buyers come back, but sometimes (again, particularly in markets like "adult collectors") they don't.

I don't know how many people around here do crowdfunding projects on Kickstarter and the like, but if you've been backing anything in the last couple years, you've seen the updates about how much shipping has gone up and the general clusterfutz that is the global supply chain right now.  You want your project on time?  Gotta pay the bribes to China.  On TOP of the shipping container shortage, which just means A:  You're paying more for shipping and B: You're paying "extra" to make sure your project takes priority (that's in addition to the price of the container which has more than quadrupled in the last year).  

You're right, we don't know exactly what Hasbro's profit margin on these is and likely never will, and while I'm 100% sure it's a far cry from "nothing" it's probably not as much as some folks think.  I know a lot of adult collectors like to bury their heads in the sand about the realities of the world right now, but stuff really does cost significantly more to get manufactured and (especially) shipped right now.  The jump to 14K backers is almost certainly NOT just some bean counter at Hasbro twirling their mustache and cackling "We can get these nerds to buy anything! Mwahahaha!" so much as the minimum amount to make it feasible to produce in the current environment.

On 8/20/2021 at 7:15 AM, Jmacq1 said:

I realize everyone thinks that corporate greed means they gouge profit margins, but there's actually a bit of art and a lot of science to balancing profit margins vs. keeping things in price ranges that enough people are reasonably willing to pay.  Generally speaking, manufacturers don't just arbitrarily raise prices, because every price increase (PARTICULARLY in niche markets like say, collectibles mostly aimed at adults) tends to result in fewer people buying.  Sometimes those buyers come back, but sometimes (again, particularly in markets like "adult collectors") they don't.

I don't know how many people around here do crowdfunding projects on Kickstarter and the like, but if you've been backing anything in the last couple years, you've seen the updates about how much shipping has gone up and the general clusterfutz that is the global supply chain right now.  You want your project on time?  Gotta pay the bribes to China.  On TOP of the shipping container shortage, which just means A:  You're paying more for shipping and B: You're paying "extra" to make sure your project takes priority (that's in addition to the price of the container which has more than quadrupled in the last year).  

You're right, we don't know exactly what Hasbro's profit margin on these is and likely never will, and while I'm 100% sure it's a far cry from "nothing" it's probably not as much as some folks think.  I know a lot of adult collectors like to bury their heads in the sand about the realities of the world right now, but stuff really does cost significantly more to get manufactured and (especially) shipped right now.  The jump to 14K backers is almost certainly NOT just some bean counter at Hasbro twirling their mustache and cackling "We can get these nerds to buy anything! Mwahahaha!" so much as the minimum amount to make it feasible to produce in the current environment.

Well let’s not fool anyone. They would not being doing this if it didn’t have a substantial profit margin. They aren’t in the business to not make lots of profit. I don’t think stake holders would appreciate them producing product that with mediocre margins. That my friend would be a bad business plan. 

On 8/19/2021 at 3:01 PM, RyanDaly said:

On 8/19/2021 at 9:47 PM, LordVenger said:

True, numbers aren't pulled out of nowhere, but the accounting teams for Hasbro work for Hasbro, and their main objective is to maximize Hasbro's profits. They likely have a number of  formulas and algorithms, and they're likely gonna go with the ones that best work for them, not the consumer. I get it, its a business, they want the most money they can get.   

Hasbro's Dan Yun has released this new video showing the building of the new Haslab Marvel Legends 32" tall Galactus figure.

As the project heads into it's final week it currently has 13,156 backers of the needed 14k for it to be fully backed. While reaching 14k seems almost certain at this point, it is still not clear if the project will reach any of it's stretch goals. The onyl one Hasbro has announced so far is the Frankie Raye Nova figure which requires a total of 16k backers to be unlocked. Hasbro has a Marvel Legends live-stream on Thursday (8/26) where they have been hinting they might reveal some additional stretch goals. If you want more info on the figure or wish to back it you can check out more by CLICKING HERE.

I'm honestly still on the fence with this. Sure, it would be nice to have, but $400 is a lot of money. I bought 3 of the Sentinels last year and wish I'd gotten 4 - but I'm just not as excited about this one. It also would probably help if I had already received the product that I funded a year ago before the cut off date of being asked to fund this new project. That's not a huge deal, but it still just doesn't feel right. In the end, I'll likely cave and back Galactus, but right now I just don't feel a lot of enthusiasm for doing so. I'm thinking my decision will likely come down to next weekend some time (near last minute).

It is really surprising to see all the back and forth about this project ("It costs too much,"  "It should have been $50 less,"  "They should have revealed all the tiers sooner,"  "Hasbro isn't respecting fans,"  "Hasbro is greedy,"  "Hasbro doesn't know what they are doing.").  So, a complete wave of figures costs around $160 US, so Galactus (cost) is really only equal to 2.5 complete waves of figures, and by the looks of him, Galactus seems to be equal to about 5 or six waves in terms of plastic alone, and when you think about the fact that all the pieces of this figure are unique vs. most waves having a lot of re-used parts, the cost to design and manufacture Galactus is pretty significant. Based on all of this, you can't really argue that it isn't worth the money, or you would have to admit no wave is really worth the money. I would love a bunch of tier add-ons too, but Galactus is worth the money either way.    

On 8/21/2021 at 2:55 AM, LordVenger said:

Well let’s not fool anyone. They would not being doing this if it didn’t have a substantial profit margin. They aren’t in the business to not make lots of profit. I don’t think stake holders would appreciate them producing product that with mediocre margins. That my friend would be a bad business plan. 

We actually kinda have some idea what Hasbro's profit margin is, at least as far as their overall business:  It's roughly 15%.  This is publicly available information.

Source

I'd say that qualifies as "substantial" without being "Maliciously Greedy."  It doesn't tell us what the profit margin on any given item is, but it stands to reason that some things will be higher and some will be lower.  The chances of it being a whole lot higher on a project like Galactus are fairly slim though, due to the economies of scale involved compared to more heavily-produced items and the lower potential for mold re-use down the line.

Generally speaking my understanding is that action figures (and in particular highly articulated and accessorized "collector oriented" action figures) have rarely been high profit-margin items.  Indeed for years Wal-Mart in particular considered them "loss-leaders," until they didn't (and we got a slingshot effect of rapid price increases year-after-year after they stopped).

As far as Galactus goes, at this point I'm pretty confident he'll get over the finish line to basic production and MIGHT even surge to the Nova stretch goal in the final day or two, but I'll be surprised to see it get any further than that unless there are retailers out there sitting on big orders that haven't been tallied yet.

On 8/23/2021 at 9:15 AM, Psychosomatic said:

"... Galactus seems to be equal to about 5 or six waves in terms of plastic alone, and when you think about the fact that all the pieces of this figure are unique vs. most waves having a lot of re-used parts, the cost to design and manufacture Galactus is pretty significant. Based on all of this, you can't really argue that it isn't worth the money, or you would have to admit no wave is really worth the money...."

You actually made their point for them, because one can say no wave is worth all that, which is exactly why a lot of people won't get the entire wave. I didn't get the entire Wendigo or Kingpin wave for example, because not all of the figures appealed to me.  Galactus may be worth it to you....obviously, its not to a lot of people. And that's just fine. Its not a simple matter of statistics and percentiles. Remember, one man's trash is another's treasure.