Hasbro July 16, 2021 Marvel Legends Live-Stream Coverage - Haslab Galactus

JayC

On 8/23/2021 at 10:15 AM, Psychosomatic said:

It is really surprising to see all the back and forth about this project ("It costs too much,"  "It should have been $50 less,"  "They should have revealed all the tiers sooner,"  "Hasbro isn't respecting fans,"  "Hasbro is greedy,"  "Hasbro doesn't know what they are doing.").  So, a complete wave of figures costs around $160 US, so Galactus (cost) is really only equal to 2.5 complete waves of figures, and by the looks of him, Galactus seems to be equal to about 5 or six waves in terms of plastic alone, and when you think about the fact that all the pieces of this figure are unique vs. most waves having a lot of re-used parts, the cost to design and manufacture Galactus is pretty significant. Based on all of this, you can't really argue that it isn't worth the money, or you would have to admit no wave is really worth the money. I would love a bunch of tier add-ons too, but Galactus is worth the money either way.    

The cost of plastic to manufacture is probably the least expensive thing about this project (or any figure they produce).  You might as well say a building is only worth the sum of the concrete and steel it requires to construct.  

On 8/23/2021 at 11:32 AM, Virtualzach said:

The cost of plastic to manufacture is probably the least expensive thing about this project (or any figure they produce).  You might as well say a building is only worth the sum of the concrete and steel it requires to construct.  

Which is why I didn't make that point alone (I agree it is probably one of the lowest costs associated with the project). My point was that if you wanted to compare mass of plastic, you get your money's worth by comparison. The engineering and mold making required is what I would argue is the most costly, and none of the pieces will be easy to retool for other characters... so, again, it is worth the money based on what Hasbro put into making this thing.  

On 8/23/2021 at 11:00 AM, Atlantis said:

You actually made their point for them, because one can say no wave is worth all that, which is exactly why a lot of people won't get the entire wave. I didn't get the entire Wendigo or Kingpin wave for example, because not all of the figures appealed to me.  Galactus may be worth it to you....obviously, its not to a lot of people. And that's just fine. Its not a simple matter of statistics and percentiles. Remember, one man's trash is another's treasure.

You bet! I would say no wave is worth what they cost, but here we are. It is a hobby we all enjoy, so ultimately it will matter enough for us to fork over our hard earned cash or it won't. I am buying a $400 figure that will look amazing in my collection, and if I decide a year later that I am not crazy about it, I can re-sell it for more than I paid for it. Hasbro's profit margin, tiers, etc. had no bearing on my decision.   Buy it if you love it, pass if you don't.

On 8/23/2021 at 3:42 PM, MarvelousFan87 said:

Getting closer..this will be backed but man,...16K by the 30th? nah....probably not.

There will probably be a big bump in the last 48 hours.  Whether or not it's big enough to get past 16K remains to be seen, but almost every crowdfunding project has a big day in the last 24 hours.

I agree with some others that Hasbro would have been better off having had the Sentinels delivered before soliciting Galactus, but my hunch is that there are other outside factors that play into when they run these campaigns, mostly having to do with the logistics of production (Scheduling them around other product getting manufactured, etc...).

Basically I'd find it perfectly believable if the bean-counters only wanted them in this "timeslot" so they don't interfere with say, getting enough Nerf guns produced for Christmas or getting the figures for Summer Marvel Movie #47 out on time, etc...

On 8/23/2021 at 4:25 PM, Jmacq1 said:

There will probably be a big bump in the last 48 hours.  Whether or not it's big enough to get past 16K remains to be seen, but almost every crowdfunding project has a big day in the last 24 hours.

I agree with some others that Hasbro would have been better off having had the Sentinels delivered before soliciting Galactus, but my hunch is that there are other outside factors that play into when they run these campaigns, mostly having to do with the logistics of production (Scheduling them around other product getting manufactured, etc...).

Basically I'd find it perfectly believable if the bean-counters only wanted them in this "timeslot" so they don't interfere with say, getting enough Nerf guns produced for Christmas or getting the figures for Summer Marvel Movie #47 out on time, etc...

I do agree big jumps can and do happen. Let's see how this takes us with this Galactus. And yes., it would have been nice to see the Sentinels released by mow, like I think they were orginally slated to, that has probably put a damper on funding for Galactus. 

On 8/23/2021 at 4:32 PM, MarvelousFan87 said:

I do agree big jumps can and do happen. Let's see how this takes us with this Galactus. And yes., it would have been nice to see the Sentinels released by mow, like I think they were orginally slated to, that has probably put a damper on funding for Galactus. 

I wish people would stop spreading this rumour. The sentinel always had an estimated shipping date of “fall 2021”. Late September is literally the earliest they could have shipped it within the confines of their initial prediction. It’s almost coming early. People wanted it to be earlier, but Hasbro never claimed it would be.

On 8/23/2021 at 9:27 PM, Benn said:

I wish people would stop spreading this rumour. The sentinel always had an estimated shipping date of “fall 2021”. Late September is literally the earliest they could have shipped it within the confines of their initial prediction. It’s almost coming early. People wanted it to be earlier, but Hasbro never claimed it would be.

Well hasbro for a while indicated it was gonna start shipping late aug into sept so it might be considered a little late but nothing major. Never the less on might argue Hasbro should have waited on starting the Galactus campaign until they got the Sentinel out to people. I also think trying to do Marvel Haslabs every year as they have indicated  is a mistake and honestly they should do 1 maybe 2 Haslabs a year and switch it up between brands. 3 a year every year is getting kinda ridiculous 

On 8/23/2021 at 9:48 PM, JayC said:

I also think trying to do Marvel Haslabs every year as they have indicated  is a mistake and honestly they should do 1 maybe 2 Haslabs a year and switch it up between brands. 3 a year every year is getting kinda ridiculous 

I could see HasLabs being a "special occasion" thing. 1 or 2 a year, and make 'em a really big occasion. Instead it's like Hasbro wants to have steak every night.

That's why I can't help but wonder if the reason it's taking so long to even get to the bottom tier with Galactus may be because Hasbro has taken one to many trips to the well.

On 8/23/2021 at 6:48 PM, JayC said:

Well hasbro for a while indicated it was gonna start shipping late aug into sept so it might be considered a little late but nothing major. Never the less on might argue Hasbro should have waited on starting the Galactus campaign until they got the Sentinel out to people. I also think trying to do Marvel Haslabs every year as they have indicated  is a mistake and honestly they should do 1 maybe 2 Haslabs a year and switch it up between brands. 3 a year every year is getting kinda ridiculous 

Hey, don't look at me. I told them to do the Punisher van. 

On 8/23/2021 at 8:55 PM, Psychosomatic said:

Which is why I didn't make that point alone (I agree it is probably one of the lowest costs associated with the project). My point was that if you wanted to compare mass of plastic, you get your money's worth by comparison. The engineering and mold making required is what I would argue is the most costly, and none of the pieces will be easy to retool for other characters... so, again, it is worth the money based on what Hasbro put into making this thing.  

It has been stated that molding and the engineering is the most expensive part of making figures. That's why they try to reuse molds as much as possible

On 8/24/2021 at 3:48 AM, JayC said:

They probably should have waited until the Sentinel was released, otherwise you are asking people to take two blind chances with their money. At least with TFs Unicron has been delivered and on Friday they will be revealing the next TF HasLab, so people are more confident.

Made some changes to my dashboard on yesterday's Galactus update, so now you get two:
Day 38: I did say things were gonna get interesting. Galactus passed 13K total backers last night! It took ~6 days to get 1K new backers. For context, it took ~8 days to get from 11K to 12K, and it took ~10 days to get from 10K to 11K. So yeah... clearly the growth rate is increasing as the campaign nears the end. For this reason, I had to abandon the power fitted prediction curve. The program I was using to crank out the formula each day basically said "No!" to me this morning. So I switched over to a linear fit, since we all know sh!t's about to get crazy anyway. The upside is the line has it on pace to hit 14K backers by Thursday, just in time for Hasbro's next livestream.
BTW Google sheets is still providing its own power trendline (in yellow) on the Daily Total Backers chart. Also I added milestone call-outs so you can see how the spikes line up throughout the campaign.
Day 39: That snowball keeps rolling along! Galactus is definitely on pace to meet its minimum backer goal well before Hasbro's Thursday livestream. What happens after that is pretty up in the air at the moment. I should note that it's quickly approaching the daily average needed to unlock Nova in time (349 new backers today. It now needs an average of 385.5/day). In any case, I'm really excited to dive into all the data after this ends on Monday.

Haslab_Galactus_info_day_38.jpg

Haslab_Galactus_info_day_39.jpg

On 8/24/2021 at 3:09 PM, Virtualzach said:

The smart move here would be to extend the deadline by two weeks.  That'd give more than enough time to reach the 16k backer milestone.  I'm waiting until the last minute to order mine.  I suspect there are many out there doing the same.  

I dont see Hasbro extending. They will easily get the 14k before the 30th and they are about to launch their next Haslab for Transformers.

On 8/24/2021 at 2:22 PM, JayC said:

I dont see Hasbro extending. They will easily get the 14k before the 30th and they are about to launch their next Haslab for Transformers.

You're probably right but, at this point, every unit sold increases profit margin.  And I suspect they put some money into the prototype for the Nova figure.  At this rate, and assuming they still average 300+ orders/day, we'll be ridiculously close to that 16k.  It'd be a shame to hit, say, 15.5k and not get the Nova.  

I represent just one small pocket of collectors in one state and we'll be adding 18 to that number on Friday.  It'll be interesting to see where we're at at the end of the week!

Also, did they confirm the next project will be Transformers?  I'm feeling a bit burnt on those after collecting all but Constructicons but Scrapmetal and not being able to find him for less than $100 now.  Then they release the whole collection for less than the sum of all 8 and I'm sitting on a bunch of figures I can't even resell at cost.

On 8/24/2021 at 4:37 PM, Virtualzach said:

You're probably right but, at this point, every unit sold increases profit margin.  And I suspect they put some money into the prototype for the Nova figure.  At this rate, and assuming they still average 300+ orders/day, we'll be ridiculously close to that 16k.  It'd be a shame to hit, say, 15.5k and not get the Nova.  

Another 184 backers have shown up since 9AM. That's an average of over 20/hour. Nova is happening. The real question right now should be "Will we unlock the Surfer, and the third unlock by 9PM on Monday?" That's all gonna depend on what gets revealed Thursday.