Hasbro July 16, 2021 Marvel Legends Live-Stream Coverage - Haslab Galactus

JayC

On 8/30/2021 at 11:12 AM, JayC said:

All 4 stretch goals for Hasbro's Marvel Legends Haslab Galactus campaign have now been unlocked. This includes the Marvel Legends Frankie Raye Nova, Silver Surfer and Morg figures as well as the alternate Doctor Doom Galactus headsculpt.

As I type this the campaign still has over 17hrs left until it ends and currently has 23,406 backers. This puts Galactus over the top of out-selling last years Sentinel campaign which topped out at 22,542 backers.

All-Galasctus-Stretch-Goals-Unlocked.jpg

Wow, from wondering if Nova would be made to beating the Sentinel in roughly a  week. Hope everyone who backed him will enjoy him.

On 8/29/2021 at 2:12 AM, Atlantis said:

There's a lot of talk about hip-hop groups and in-jokes that have nothing to do with Legends so yeah, the whole video is gonna take some time. However, if you watch that section you can plainly see he is not "feigning" anything- he's annoyed that he didn't get the answer he thought he was going to get. 

Maybe they did change her sculpt to match the artwork, but if so, they weren't right to change it . Totally unnecessary and they just jacked it up. It looks ridiculous.

Look, we hear all the time the reason we couldn't get this or that accessory or feature is because all those things cost $$, and there's only so much money allocated to the wave, etc. Well, how much money did they waste on this crap, when they didn't need to? The head used from the previous two was fine; if they wanted to change something then put her on a woman's body, not some teenager's. Maybe the saved money could've gone into giving Mr. Fantastic something better than those idiotic leaf-raking hands. 

Yeah, Dan didn't like their responses but he was semi-smiling and then laughed. That's what I meant by feigning being hurt, not that he did like their responses. I agree that he didn't. And it seemed clear that the face sculpt won't be changed because they next talked about how the other guy gets products early so he'd be in the best position to see if it looks better in person.

I think if they had changed the head sculpt and it looked great, then everyone would be happy. If they kept the same head sculpt, then some people would complain it's just a repaint and why is Hasbro cheaping out again? In this case, they changed the head sculpt and it turned out bad so no one's happy.

On 8/30/2021 at 1:11 AM, Gigantor said:

Yay, you all got your Sentinels & the big G. How bout now Hasbro starts making stuff in the more affordable $150-$200 price range. Give us classic  comic versions of  Hank Pym Giant man/Goliath-Marvel-Comics-Josten-a.thumb.jpg.07c50f0225ce39b3d24ad8fd47b5c170.jpg319725193_Alpha-Flight.grouppic.thumb.jpg.14846a17f9e8cfaaa3eed6496d9aba31.jpg1480833338_Giantman-vsSpidey.thumb.jpg.e342238945dc68156b131179370bb7d4.jpg1579319245_GoliathPym.thumb.jpg.156562fc06303b2ec2c381e8d7746bbd.jpgGoliath, Erik Josten Goliath, Classic Orka in the 16'-18' scale. They can come with extra alternate hands & 4 head sculpts. Stoic head, angry gritted teeth head, yelling head & unmasked head sculpt. No BS tiers. Make a 10' tall scale accurate Sasquatch with 3 alternate head sculpts & 3-4 sets of hands with a 6' scale Walter Langkowski figure & I'll easily throw $150+ at that! And a 10' scale classic Champion! That way, those of us who are not as rich as the Galactus/Sentinel backers  can get in on these Haslab  exclusives. 

I'd back that Sasquatch so fast. Champion is another great option. I want both of those characters. I have the ToyBiz Giant-Man which is still pretty good so I would not be as urgent to get him but knowing me, I probably would anyway. I have no space or interest in these huge Galactuses and Sentinels, but I would like these other oversized characters. Or just make them deluxe figures like Surtur, which is 13".

On 8/30/2021 at 8:35 AM, Sasquatch said:

"...I think if they had changed the head sculpt and it looked great, then everyone would be happy. If they kept the same head sculpt, then some people would complain it's just a repaint and why is Hasbro cheaping out again?"

Consistency is important. They used the same face from the 1st Walgreens on the Super Skrull BAF (they modified the hair a bit) and it was fine, more importantly, as it should be. I don't think anyone would feel that keeping that face is "cheaping out". After all, they're not making changes to Reed's face. They fortunately did change Johnny; he was just too big on that first round. 

On 8/30/2021 at 11:55 AM, Sasquatch said:

I'd back that Sasquatch so fast. Champion is another great option. I want both of those characters. I have the ToyBiz Giant-Man which is still pretty good so I would not be as urgent to get him but knowing me, I probably would anyway. I have no space or interest in these huge Galactuses and Sentinels, but I would like these other oversized characters. Or just make them deluxe figures like Surtur, which is 13".

U obviously are a Sasquatch fan, but I have seen the BAF getting sold for very low price in internet. I dont think they may bring it soon in such a scale, Giant Man and Atlas (to round up the Thunderbolts, that also dont sell very well) are the most obvious options.

On 8/30/2021 at 12:39 PM, Legender said:

U obviously are a Sasquatch fan, but I have seen the BAF getting sold for very low price in internet. I dont think they may bring it soon in such a scale, Giant Man and Atlas (to round up the Thunderbolts, that also dont sell very well) are the most obvious options.

Please. They could make Forbush Man the next HasCam money cow, and people would sign up for it.

It definitely looks like we'll at least hit 25K by the end of the day. Hasbro should really have had something for a 24K tier... I obviously don't know how decisions like these work, but I'd have thought they'd want to have tier goals several steps above their projected goal just in case, probably up to like 30K. Some of them might not see the light of day, but at least they'd be there if you need them.

On 8/30/2021 at 2:29 PM, Ironspider428 said:

It definitely looks like we'll at least hit 25K by the end of the day. Hasbro should really have had something for a 24K tier... I obviously don't know how decisions like these work, but I'd have thought they'd want to have tier goals several steps above their projected goal just in case, probably up to like 30K. Some of them might not see the light of day, but at least they'd be there if you need them.

They determine how many stretch goals they're willing to reward prior to launch. When they first announced Galactus they said there were four unlockable tiers, but didn't say what they were or in what order they would be released. That's because they can adjust on the fly how and when they want to release them. By the time they reached the minimum for Galactus and unlocked Nova, they were pretty consistently gaining a thousand new backers per day. That meant they could release the next couple tiers in 2,000 installments and stretch them out over the last week of the campaign.

On 8/30/2021 at 12:03 PM, RyanDaly said:

They determine how many stretch goals they're willing to reward prior to launch. When they first announced Galactus they said there were four unlockable tiers, but didn't say what they were or in what order they would be released. That's because they can adjust on the fly how and when they want to release them. By the time they reached the minimum for Galactus and unlocked Nova, they were pretty consistently gaining a thousand new backers per day. That meant they could release the next couple tiers in 2,000 installments and stretch them out over the last week of the campaign.

I do believe the tiers/rewards are pre-determined, BUT...there's no reason this sort of thing can't be adjusted.  They have a proprietary figure stand that they sell on Pulse that could be added to this easily and be used for Nova.  She comes with an effect but being able to pose her in 'flight mode' above the effect would be great.  That's just the first thing that comes to mind.  I'm sure there are other random items they've used in the past that they could have dusted off the mold for. 

I'm not complaining about what we're already getting--it's more than enough incentive and I would have purchased the figure even without any of them.  But these things go a long way in securing additional backers, as was evident this past week.  1k of these is $400,000.  That's pretty substantial for a small additional tier/bonus/whatever and, were I them, I'd love to be able to boast 26k (or more) backers.   

On 8/30/2021 at 3:15 PM, Virtualzach said:

I do believe the tiers/rewards are pre-determined, BUT...there's no reason this sort of thing can't be adjusted.  They have a proprietary figure stand that they sell on Pulse that could be added to this easily and be used for Nova.  She comes with an effect but being able to pose her in 'flight mode' above the effect would be great.  That's just the first thing that comes to mind.  I'm sure there are other random items they've used in the past that they could have dusted off the mold for. 

I'm not complaining about what we're already getting--it's more than enough incentive and I would have purchased the figure even without any of them.  But these things go a long way in securing additional backers, as was evident this past week.  1k of these is $400,000.  That's pretty substantial for a small additional tier/bonus/whatever and, were I them, I'd love to be able to boast 26k (or more) backers.   

Sure, that's probably true. They have an idea for what numbers unlock the goals, but no reason to make those publicly known until it's necessary. 

And they've got to be sure of how much more money they're making from additional Galactus units being sold to offset the cost of essentially giving away 20,000 Novas, Silver Surfers, and Morgs for FREE (it's not really, but sorta). Put it another way, a month ago I bought Galactus for $400. Today I can say I bought Nova, Silver Surfer, Morg, and a Doctor Doom's head-shaped paper weight for roughly $100 dollars and Galactus for $300. Hasbro's profits on Galactus shrink; they can only offset that if they sell so many more, but each time they add another figure, that cuts into the profit. They unlocked the last tier at 22,000. If they end up selling 25,000+ and don't give away anything else, more profit for them. As a consumer, sure I would like a last-minute thank you bonus, but that would be irresponsible of them financially.

But this is mostly theoretical anyway because we don't know how much this thing actually costs to produce and ship so we'll never know the profit margins, and they'll never tell us. So... 🤷‍♂️

On 8/30/2021 at 1:12 PM, Atlantis said:

Consistency is important. They used the same face from the 1st Walgreens on the Super Skrull BAF (they modified the hair a bit) and it was fine, more importantly, as it should be. I don't think anyone would feel that keeping that face is "cheaping out". After all, they're not making changes to Reed's face. They fortunately did change Johnny; he was just too big on that first round. 

I liked the Sue face on the Walgreens version. That's the only one I have. I did not feel the need to get the Super Skrull version since that isn't her classic look and I already had the Walgreens Sue. This upcoming retro one is a classic look so I wanted it. But if it was just a straight repaint with no changes, I would be hesitant because why buy the exact same figure I already have for just a slightly different shade of blue? Anyway, I did eventually order it even though they messed up the face. I'm sure I'll head swap her. But I can see why Hasbro would feel the motivation to mix things up so it's not just the exact same figure repainted. For Reed, they gave him a new lab coat. I'm not a huge fan of the salad fingers either. They also changed Ben's face. I don't think it looks as good as the Super Skrull Ben's face and I'm definitely not a fan of the no-teeth head.

On 8/30/2021 at 1:39 PM, Legender said:

Yep, I do have the Sasquatch BAF and he was what got me into 6" scale Legends after previously only collecting the 3.75" scale figures. I couldn't pass up Sasquatch, so that started my 6" collection. I have him elevated on a stand in my display to simulate his correct size, so I'm hoping we can eventually get another true-to-size (in height and girth) version of him.

On 8/30/2021 at 11:40 AM, Sasquatch said:

"I liked the Sue face on the Walgreens version....this upcoming retro one is a classic look...But if it was just a straight repaint with no changes, I would be hesitant because why buy the exact same figure I already have for just a slightly different shade of blue? "

I'm not following your train of thought here....the N-Zone outfit is just that: a straight repaint from the original costumes! Her face wouldn't change regardless of what she's wearing. 

I'm now glad I have the Skrull BAF version 'cause that costume is crap, and I can use her head on the new N-Zone outfit.

On 8/30/2021 at 12:45 PM, GrtWhiteCustoms said:

I would quickly back any larger character they did that was in the $100-$200 range. That I can justify. 

A vehicle like the Punisher van, I could get behind. The Fantasticar I could see, maybe around the $250 or so mark . Actually the more working features it has (modular cars that can fly on their own or connect to the main vehicle, providing hours of playtime fun), lights, etc I could see justification for a higher price.

On 8/30/2021 at 4:53 PM, Atlantis said:

I'm not following your train of thought here....the N-Zone outfit is just that: a straight repaint from the original costumes! Her face wouldn't change regardless of what she's wearing. 

I'm now glad I have the Skrull BAF version 'cause that costume is crap, and I can use her head on the new N-Zone outfit.

It's true these are all just repaints because all versions of Sue are on the same body mold. But the Super Skrull version is a totally different look. It's like saying black suit Spider-Man is just a repaint of Pizza Spider-man in his red and blue suit. While technically true since they are on the same body mold, they look drastically different and it would be more worth it to a collector to buy two totally different looking versions of the same character rather just buying what I was calling a straight repaint with a very similar design except, for example, the shade of blue as is the case with Walgreens Sue and the new retro Sue. The Walgreens Sue and Super Skrull Sue looked different though technically were just repaints of the same body. The Walgreens Sue and retro Sue are even more similar in design, making it less likely that a collector would want both. So, I was suggesting that Hasbro may have made additional changes to encourage a collector to get the new one.

On 8/30/2021 at 2:32 PM, Atlantis said:

A vehicle like the Punisher van, I could get behind. The Fantasticar I could see, maybe around the $250 or so mark . Actually the more working features it has (modular cars that can fly on their own or connect to the main vehicle), lights, etc I could see justification for a higher price.

I just don't get the whole Fantasticar thing.  Maybe it's because I'm not the biggest FF fan out there but vehicles have always seemed like more of a Star Wars thing than a Marvel thing when it comes to toy manufacturing.  There are so many iconic ships and whatnot for SW and then Marvel has...that car.  And the Quin Jet, which is pretty cool but still.  Would I want to pose my FF figures in a car?  Probably not.  And, for some reason, the name reminds me of the Scooby Doo "Dream Machine" in terms of overall corniness.  

Who knows, I've been wrong about these things before.  There's just only so much I can do with another toy car or van or whatever.  

On 8/30/2021 at 1:53 PM, Atlantis said:

Am I the only one that likes the Skrull wave costumes over the oldschool?  When that wave was released it was the first time I actually wanted a complete FF team (but with the older 'on fire' Johnny of course).  Everyone else seems to hate it and love the original costumes.  😞

On 8/30/2021 at 5:47 PM, Virtualzach said:

Am I the only one that likes the Skrull wave costumes over the oldschool?  When that wave was released it was the first time I actually wanted a complete FF team (but with the older 'on fire' Johnny of course).  Everyone else seems to hate it and love the original costumes.  😞

I did think those costumes looked cool and I liked the boots with the tread, but I'm a fan of the classic look, so for me that was the Walgreens version. I did end up buying the Skrull wave Ben though. They got the brow and jutting jaw right on him, and now he's my default Thing, even though I have the Walgreens one too.

Some people resist anything new. Nostalgia can be a dangerous thing.

There's nothing wrong with the new-ish black costumes (already outdated in the current comics), but for me the Fantastic Four's primary identifying color is blue. You wanna put them in white costumes for a year or two, fine. Red suits? Uhh, sure. Black with blue accents? Okay. But they always come back to blue eventually.

My bigger problem with the look from that era and that wave is Reed's beard. Reed Richards shaves, damnit, and that's a hill I will die on. 😉

On 8/30/2021 at 5:52 PM, RoMe00150 said:

I may just suck it up and get the four. I have the Walgreens Torch and Sue but and the aftermarket price for a Walgreens Reed and Thing would be almost the same as getting all in the retro wave 

Yeah, I contemplated for a while (they are so similar to my Walgreens figures) but I broke down and preordered them. I figured I might regret it later if I didn't since I am a sucker for classic outfits. I'm sticking with my Walgreens Human Torch since I don't think the new retro one is better, but I did order the Pulse exclusive powered down Johnny.

On 8/30/2021 at 1:37 PM, Sasquatch said:

"... The Walgreens Sue and Super Skrull Sue looked different though technically were just repaints of the same body. The Walgreens Sue and retro Sue are even more similar in design, making it less likely that a collector would want both. So, I was suggesting that Hasbro may have made additional changes to encourage a collector to get the new one..."

No matter how similar or different the costumes are, the face would/should stay the same. The Walgreens and Skrull BAF have the same face- as they should. Only the hair has been modified. The upcoming version looks nothing like the previous two. Hasbro wouldn't need the face to change to encourage a collector to buy her in the new costume. Whether its the N-Zone, Future Foundation, short sleeves, expedition vests, etc. the face should stay the same. They jacked it up, bottom line, and they wasted money to do it, money that could have been better spent on other things.