Jump to content

Hasbro July 16, 2021 Marvel Legends Live-Stream Coverage - Haslab Galactus


JayC
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 8/17/2021 at 2:22 PM, JayC said:

Phillip on FB made some color changes to give you a better idea of what a Galcatus turned Ziran might  look like which is what I envisioned when they were talking about Celestials in the interview. I think its possible the skirt piece on Galactus could be made removable and/or maybe even include an alternate skirt piece for the Celestial, but overall this is how I would see it looking if they planned to do a Celestial alternate head for Galactus. That chest piece could just be soft plastic you slide over the chest kinda like a cape.

 

238421004_10161119212599167_7008281214989995205_n.jpg

I think ML team should def think about getting into the Celestials, we need them! I'd back that project. Let's expand the cosmic side of things. Would love to see a Beyonder-goofy as he may look lol, and certainly a Living Tribunal. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So I've been tracking this campaign's daily progress and reporting findings to my Instagram & an MLC FB group pretty much since it started, but @JayC suggested I share here to raise awareness. Basically, I measure new backer count every 24 hours, and plug my data into a program that outputs new fitted prediction curves based on the existing data. It's really useful for measuring the impact that Hasbro's communication (or lack thereof) has on the success of its project. Unsurprisingly, every spike observed has immediately followed the release of new information (even if only speculative). The newest spike was observed today (a +227% day-over-day increase in new backers) conveniently following Boog_Nice's interview with the team; the details of which are now making the rounds on media outlets like this site.

Like I said, I make these reports daily. So if it's something you'd like to see here more regularly, let me know. And feel free to ask questions. Hopefully I can answer them with the data available.

Haslab_Galactus_info_day_32.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/17/2021 at 6:53 PM, DenXMedia said:

So I've been tracking this campaign's daily progress and reporting findings to my Instagram & an MLC FB group pretty much since it started, but @JayC suggested I share here to raise awareness. Basically, I measure new backer count every 24 hours, and plug my data into a program that outputs new fitted prediction curves based on the existing data. It's really useful for measuring the impact that Hasbro's communication (or lack thereof) has on the success of its project. Unsurprisingly, every spike observed has immediately followed the release of new information (even if only speculative). The newest spike was observed today (a +227% day-over-day increase in new backers) conveniently following Boog_Nice's interview with the team; the details of which are now making the rounds on media outlets like this site.

Like I said, I make these reports daily. So if it's something you'd like to see here more regularly, let me know. And feel free to ask questions. Hopefully I can answer them with the data available.

Haslab_Galactus_info_day_32.jpg

Definitely interesting. I had been doing a similar thing on my end, until someone on these boards mentioned something about a late bump, which is apparently common in these Haslab projects. Is that something you have factored in? Or are you extrapolating based on just the backer count/pace to date?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/17/2021 at 7:58 PM, GreenwithNV said:

Definitely interesting. I had been doing a similar thing on my end, until someone on these boards mentioned something about a late bump, which is apparently common in these Haslab projects. Is that something you have factored in? Or are you extrapolating based on just the backer count/pace to date?

There is a bump at the end for all the stores outside of Canada and USA backing the project on the last day after they end their presale one or two days before the end. In Mexico I have seen at least four stores doing it and i suppose is the same in the rest of the world.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/18/2021 at 12:44 AM, MODADDYDODOK said:

The waiters will stop waiting; Peoples will start jumping off the fence; fomo will kick in and then Nova will be a lock. Anything beyond her is up in the air.

Whether Surfer makes it or not, he is one of the most beloved characters out there in the cosmos so it sounds silly to me that he wouldn’t at least show up on a retro card at some point. Just keep wack ass Walgreen’s away from him.

Walgreens has marvel legends figs?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ever since Hasbro announced their latest Haslab Marvel Legends project for the Galactus figure in mid-July, I have seen a lot of collectors debating on whether or not this one is worth backing and comparing it to last years Haslab project for the Sentinel.

I believe each and every collector will have to determine for themselves that question of whether this new Galactus figure is worth getting or not and it's not my place or goal to try and influence you one way or the other with that decision. I did however want to provide folks with a simple break down of the factual differences between the two projects to help the consumer make a better informed decision of whether or not to get it

2020 Haslab Sentinel Initial Offering

-26” tall Sentinel figure with 72 points of articulation
-LEDs in head and chest
-18” Sentinel Tentacle accessory
-6” Marvel Legends Bastion figure with alternate Sentinel Prime Head

Cost: $349.99

Minimum backers needed to be fully funded - 6k

Add-on stretch goals all of which were unlocked:

Tier 1 Add-On - Master Mold Headsculpt unlocked with 7k backers

Tier 2 Add-On - Battle Damaged Sentinel Head And Hand unlocked with 8k backers

Tier 3 Add-On - 6" Marvel Legends Female Sentinel Prime unlocked with 9k backers

Tier 4 add-On - Tri-Sentinel Headsculpt unlocked with 16k backers

A second 18” Sentinel Tentacle accessory was added at the end as a thank you.

Final number of backers for Sentinel: 22,542


2021 Haslab Galactus Initial Offering

-32” tall Galactus figure with 70+ points of articulation
-LEDs in head, chest and back
-3 alternate faceplates

Cost: $399.99

Minimum backers needed to be fully funded - 14k

Add-on stretch goals we know of but yet to be unlocked:

Tier 1 Add-On - 6" Marvel Legends Frankie Raye Nova to be unlocked if project achieves 16k backers


Final number of backers for Galactus: With just over 12 days to go before the project ends Galactus has 12,192 backers


Key differences between the two projects initial offerings:

Galactus is 6” taller than the Sentinel

Sentinel came with additional 6” Marvel Legends figure

Galactus costs $50 more than the Sentinel

Galactus requires 8k more backers to be fully funded than the Sentinel did

Freight shipping cost increases in 2021 - The average price world-wide to ship a 40-foot container has more than quadrupled from a year ago, to $8,399 as of July 1, according to a global pricing index by London-based Drewry Shipping Consultants Ltd. The measure has surged 53.5% since the first week of May. Source WSJ

Haslab-Sentinel-Vs-Galactus.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good comparison.  Also perhaps worth noting that ordinary figures have gone up roughly 15% (from $20 to $23)... 15% of 350 is $52.50 so a proportional increase in the hablab project alone takes you up to $400, and of course the Galactus is a bit larger, too.

I do think hasbro might have been better off charging an extra $20 -30 to increase the profit per unit  and subsequently making the tier levels lower and thus more easily reached, but that's monday morning quarterbacking on my part.

imo the Sentinel was always going to outsell Galactus as it is both an army builder and the faction of ML collectors who are mostly nto X-men is probably the largest subgroup of comic figure collectors.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/17/2021 at 5:58 PM, GreenwithNV said:

Definitely interesting. I had been doing a similar thing on my end, until someone on these boards mentioned something about a late bump, which is apparently common in these Haslab projects. Is that something you have factored in? Or are you extrapolating based on just the backer count/pace to date?

Last-minute spikes are typically common in most crowd funding campaigns. I'm not trying to account for that. Just showing the pace/trajectory to date if no further interference (aka: spikes due to external factors) were to occur. Once interference does occur, it gets factored in, and the additional plotted points are incorporated to refit the curve. Again, the point of the prediction curve is to show where things would go if no more variables are introduced.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/18/2021 at 3:35 AM, JayC said:
Ever since Hasbro announced their latest Haslab Marvel Legends project for the Galactus figure in mid-July, I have seen a lot of collectors debating on whether or not this one is worth backing and comparing it to last years Haslab project for the Sentinel.

I believe each and every collector will have to determine for themselves that question of whether this new Galactus figure is worth getting or not and it's not my place or goal to try and influence you one way or the other with that decision. I did however want to provide folks with a simple break down of the factual differences between the two projects to help the consumer make a better informed decision of whether or not to get it

2020 Haslab Sentinel Initial Offering

-26” tall Sentinel figure with 72 points of articulation
-LEDs in head and chest
-18” Sentinel Tentacle accessory
-6” Marvel Legends Bastion figure with alternate Sentinel Prime Head

Cost: $349.99

Minimum backers needed to be fully funded - 6k

Add-on stretch goals all of which were unlocked:

Tier 1 Add-On - Master Mold Headsculpt unlocked with 7k backers

Tier 2 Add-On - Battle Damaged Sentinel Head And Hand unlocked with 8k backers

Tier 3 Add-On - 6" Marvel Legends Female Sentinel Prime unlocked with 9k backers

Tier 4 add-On - Tri-Sentinel Headsculpt unlocked with 16k backers

A second 18” Sentinel Tentacle accessory was added at the end as a thank you.

Final number of backers for Sentinel: 22,542


2021 Haslab Galactus Initial Offering

-32” tall Galactus figure with 70+ points of articulation
-LEDs in head, chest and back
-3 alternate faceplates

Cost: $399.99

Minimum backers needed to be fully funded - 14k

Add-on stretch goals we know of but yet to be unlocked:

Tier 1 Add-On - 6" Marvel Legends Frankie Raye Nova to be unlocked if project achieves 16k backers


Final number of backers for Galactus: With just over 12 days to go before the project ends Galactus has 12,192 backers


Key differences between the two projects initial offerings:

Galactus is 6” taller than the Sentinel

Sentinel came with additional 6” Marvel Legends figure

Galactus costs $50 more than the Sentinel

Galactus requires 8k more backers to be fully funded than the Sentinel did

Freight shipping cost increases in 2021 - The average price world-wide to ship a 40-foot container has more than quadrupled from a year ago, to $8,399 as of July 1, according to a global pricing index by London-based Drewry Shipping Consultants Ltd. The measure has surged 53.5% since the first week of May. Source WSJ

Haslab-Sentinel-Vs-Galactus.jpg

I really dig the 1:1 comparison summary of the base offerings for each project. It forces the reader to remember what people were willing to commit to without knowing the details of the stretch-goals.

However, I think if you're gonna include external factors in the Key Differences section such as the change in shipping costs, then you're doing the Sentinel campaign a huge disservice by not also stating that it had far greater army building potential which contributed to the accelerated rate in which unlocks were revealed. I hardly think it's speculation that there was more clear incentive out of the gate to buy MULTIPLE  Sentinels. I'm sure there's also relatively easy data to include about the success Hasbro has enjoyed selling products related to the X-Men franchise versus the Fantastic Four...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is a great comparison, thank you for this. 

I'd just like to mention the following to anyone that's worried about this Galactus campaign not making the minimum backer requirements in time............

The Transformers Unicron Haslab campaign did not originally meet the backers needed to fund the project by the time it ended. So, Hasbro extended the deadline by another month to ensure that it DID have more time to get fully funded. If this one too, fails to meet the minimum backers required, I'm sure Hasbro will do the same thing and extend this campaign another month.

Hasbro has already put a lot of time and resources into developing this Galactus figure, I can't imagine that they would allow this figure to NOT be produced at this point.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Hasbro Marvel Legends brand team continues to do the interview rounds with social media folks to discuss among other things the recent Haslab Marvel Legends Galactus project. Today they spoke with ShartimusPrime.
 


During the course of the interview Hasbro made it clear in saying that if the Marvel Legends Frankie Raye Nova figure stretch goal for Galactus isn't met, that figure will not be released some other way in the Marvel Legends line. At least not in 2022 or 2023. They did seem to leave the door cracked for it possibly being released sometime after that.

The Galactus figure itself needs 14k backers to be funded while getting the Nova figure with Galactus would require an additional 2k backers on top of that. At this time the project has 12,278 backers with just 12 days to go.

Shartimus did try and get them to talk about other potential stretch goals for Galactus like say an alternate Celestial head that was seemingly hinted at during a previous interview earlier in the week, but Hasbro was having none of that.

The likely hood of reaching any stretch goals with the slow pace the project is currently moving at seems less an less likely to me as each day goes by. Why Hasbro continues to keep the stretch goals they had planned for this one a secret remains a mystery to me.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

I think the main reason Hasbro isn't showing further stretch goals (and likely never will, at least not for a few years if it fails to fund) is so people can't whine at them over not getting them if the stretch goals aren't met.  Basically just managing expectations.

Plus it's not much different from any other Haslab in that regard.  New tiers get revealed as old ones unlock.  It's just that Sentinel and Razor Crest funded early so they got through several tiers relatively quickly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/19/2021 at 6:24 AM, Jmacq1 said:

 

I think the main reason Hasbro isn't showing further stretch goals (and likely never will, at least not for a few years if it fails to fund) is so people can't whine at them over not getting them if the stretch goals aren't met.  Basically just managing expectations.

If so then it's a dumb reason. The point of stretch goals is to try and entice more people to back something. If you don't know what they are how is it going to entice people?

It would seems more likely to me that its they dont want to reveal them either because they aren't very confident it will move the meter much or they don't want to be backed into a corner like they are now with Nova.  Because they revealed Nova they now can't release her for at least two years. As some have pointed out if they offer something as a stretch goal and it isn't successful they can't then turn around and offer it a short time later. If say they have other Heralds like Firelord as a stretch goal and were to go on and reveal it now, then like Nova they wouldn't be able to release Firelord anytime soon. If they don't reveal it then theycan offer it some other way much sooner.

Some people keep saying Hasbro should do what Mattel did and offer an early bird option. I think the early bird option is stupid and here is why. For many they need time to save up the money for this stuff, especially when we are talking $400 figures. They aren't waiting until the last minute to get it for shits and giggles, they are waiting to try and get the money together. If you offer an early bird item that is only available in the first part of the campaign then it screws those people. It also is no longer useful to the campaign because it's no longer an incentive after the first few weeks.

For Mattel which had a cheaper item, it helped get them to their goal, but since then the campaign has moved at a snails pace once again in the final weeks. I totally think a company should reveal their stretch goals up front so they can actually do what they are intended to do which is make something seem more valuable (Its really not, its not like Hasbro is actually throwing in figures for free it just seems that way because the costs get spread out over more people) and hence entice more people to back it. But I think the Early Bird thing is stupid and would cause more backlash than good.

Just think how pissed people who didnt have $400 just sitting around to buy a figure would be if they could only get Nova if they backed it in the first couple weeks of the campaign starting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

At this point I think Hasbro knows stretch goals aren't likely going to be met and content with just Galactus itself being backed (which in my mind is almost 100% certain). In fact they may have known from day one that getting to stretch goals on this one was unlikely.

The marketing between the Sentinel and Galactus has been almost identical however the one difference I noticed between the two is with the Sentinel on day 1 they said there were 3 stretch goals and gave the numbers needed to get to them. They didnt tell us what the actual stretch goals where until each one was unlocked but they at least told us the basic parameters. With Galactus they said their were stretch goals but at the start gave us no other info. Now with the Sentinel they did end up having to add a fourth stretch goal because they went through the first 3 so fast which is why I initially thought is why they didnt give a number for how many goals Galactus would have, but now I am wondering if they left it vague because they didnt think it would get to many.

This is Hasbro's 7th Haslab project (all of which except for that Cookie Monster have been successful) and each time they do these they gather data. I imagine they have enough data at this point to have a fairly high level of certainty of what is going to sell and by how much and whats not. I don't think Hasbro is terribly surprised Galactus is taking much longer to reach its goal than the Sentinel and planned accordingly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...







Sign Up For The TNI Newsletter And Have The News Delivered To You!


Entertainment News International (ENI) is the #1 popular culture network for adult fans all around the world.
Get the scoop on all the popular comics, games, movies, toys, and more every day!

Contact and Support

Advertising | Submit News | Contact ENI | Privacy Policy

©Entertainment News International - All images, trademarks, logos, video, brands and images used on this website are registered trademarks of their respective companies and owners. All Rights Reserved. Data has been shared for news reporting purposes only. All content sourced by fans, online websites, and or other fan community sources. Entertainment News International is not responsible for reporting errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and or other liablities related to news shared here. We do our best to keep tabs on infringements. If some of your content was shared by accident. Contact us about any infringements right away - CLICK HERE