Hasbro July 16, 2021 Marvel Legends Live-Stream Coverage - Haslab Galactus

JayC

As some folks have pointed out, I'm not sure how much gas is really left in the tank where giant-sized characters are concerned.  The Frost Giant army-builder sounds OK.  Fin Fang Foom or a properly giant Giant-Man maybe.  But as many giant-sized characters are out there that might be fun to have, I don't know there are many that I would pay hundreds of dollars for.  Maybe that's just me, but even setting aside storage/display concerns I don't really feel like many of those are really absolutely "essential" characters outside of a completist "Gotta have 'em all" mindset.

Then again I'm sitting here thinking that if they pulled off a Living Tribunal with one of those magnetic doohickeys that would actually let the head hover above the shoulders/body that might actually be clever enough to get me to back another one of these.

On 8/29/2021 at 2:51 PM, Jmacq1 said:

As some folks have pointed out, I'm not sure how much gas is really left in the tank where giant-sized characters are concerned.  The Frost Giant army-builder sounds OK.  Fin Fang Foom or a properly giant Giant-Man maybe.  But as many giant-sized characters are out there that might be fun to have, I don't know there are many that I would pay hundreds of dollars for.  Maybe that's just me, but even setting aside storage/display concerns I don't really feel like many of those are really absolutely "essential" characters outside of a completist "Gotta have 'em all" mindset.

Then again I'm sitting here thinking that if they pulled off a Living Tribunal with one of those magnetic doohickeys that would actually let the head hover above the shoulders/body that might actually be clever enough to get me to back another one of these.

I have in mind already some ideas for Devi Dinosaur, unlocked tiers included 👀

Dwight hinted that he wants to do smaller "giant" character in the haslab program in the 150 to 300 range. He said it would be a great way of getting someone like mangog out as retail wouldn't carry him. Given that next year is thor 4 release having a thor based campaign seem like the most likely choice.

On 8/29/2021 at 3:51 PM, Jmacq1 said:

As some folks have pointed out, I'm not sure how much gas is really left in the tank where giant-sized characters are concerned.... as many giant-sized characters are out there that might be fun to have, I don't know there are many that I would pay hundreds of dollars for.

I definitely feel this. Galactus is one of my favorite characters/concepts from Marvel, and I've wanted a really good Galactus figure for as long as I've been collecting. I knew it would cost a lot so I budgeted for him.

Would I like to own some Celestial figures too? Yeah, of course, but... I don't need them. And I would expect them to be even taller and likely pricier than Galactus, and I'm not spending that much on a figure that I don't have that level of fondness for (which is partly why I didn't back the Sentinel last year). 

On 8/29/2021 at 3:54 PM, Legender said:

I have in mind already some ideas for Devi Dinosaur, unlocked tiers included 👀

On 8/29/2021 at 4:05 PM, tarot said:

Dwight hinted that he wants to do smaller "giant" character in the haslab program in the 150 to 300 range. He said it would be a great way of getting someone like mangog out as retail wouldn't carry him. Given that next year is thor 4 release having a thor based campaign seem like the most likely choice.

Things like Devil Dinosaur, Fin Fang Foom, and the Mangog are very intriguing and I would back them if the prices were significantly less than Big G.

I also think there are some large-scale characters that don't have to be HasLab, they can just be giant deluxe figures. Like Giant Man, and the aforementioned Frost Giants. I posted a month or two ago that I think they could've released a Frost Giant like the Toys R Us exclusive 18 inch Sentinel that came with Days of Future Past Wolverine. I get that extra large figures like that might be problematic for stocking on shelves and such, but there should be a happy medium for deluxe figures in the $100-150 range that don't need glowing eyes and articulation at every knuckle. 

Hmm, I am really underwhelmed by the Doom head. Honestly, it really looks quite obtuse when you take a good hard look at the figure with it on. Someone suggested a head that has Galen's (Galactus) face as a un-helmeted tier four... that would have been worlds better than this. I doubt back when that Doomlactus comic storyline hit the news stands, the writer, artist and editor didn't even think it was a good idea anymore. Oh well, say, is it too late for them to add a tier five?! I mean, even if it wasn't originally planned, all they would have to show us is a graphic rendering of an Air-Walker, Firelord or Terrax. With one day left, I could see that pushing Galactus past last years Sentinel numbers. And it would redeem the tier four snafu... I never plan on putting Doom's head on mine.

As far as other Haslab figures in the future, I really wonder how many characters ALL of us could get behind. I personally would not hesitate to purchase Eternity, Living Tribunal, a Celestial or even the In-Betweener. But I am a huge Marvel 'cosmic' fan. I wonder if those who are into only the X-men or Spider-man, for example, would really get behind those. Conversely, how many Marvel mutant lovers can point to many X-characters that deserve this kind of Haslab treatment? The Living Monolith or a giant Apocalypse come to mind, but again, how many non-mutant fans would get behind those? I could see fans of the 'marvels' (IE gods and monsters, aliens and androids, science experiments gone wrong... or right) getting behind Fin Fang Foom, Ultimo, Giant-man, giant-man sized Super Adaptoid, Atlas and Black Goliath maybe. Frost Giants, Mangog or a comic version of Surtur would appeal to me greatly as Thor is my jam, but again, I have to say I'm probably in the minority. In essence, I have a hard time thinking of any other very large characters that would unite us as Haslab backers to the tune of 20K plus. There are a few smaller giant characters that may work, Dragon Man, Orka, Dreadnaught, the Destroyer or Kurse maybe. But again, all but two of those are probably too obscure to unite us and fund it. Thoughts anyone?

I'll admit that I'm very disappointed in the Doom head for the 4th tier. I was really hoping for something that would make me feel even better about this purchase. I would have been ecstatic with a Celestial head, a Galactus Cat, a Punisher robot or any of Tyrant, Air-Walker, Firelord, Red Shift, Stardust, Praeter or Anti-Man. I would have been stoked for ROM the Space Knight but I believe that Marvel no longer has his rights to that character. I would have been happy with either adult Franklin or even "Maker" Reed Richards. This Doom head honestly  was kind of a let down. I did like someone's comment earlier about wondering if it would fit on a Sentinel to make a deluxe Doombot... now that might actually be a little cooler.

For me, Morg was what put me over the top here, but if I had my choice I certainly would have far rather purchased Morg and Frankie Raye as stand alone figures. I know that I wouldn't have paid $20 for that Surfer as a single figure. I wouldn't have paid the $400 for Galactus without the other figures included, but it is well done and a huge upgrade over the other versions that I have and I'll be happy to have it in the end. I originally justified it to myself by thinking that I would sell either my Toy Biz BAF version or the Marvel Universe Infinite version to help fund this one, but in the end I think that I'll keep those for now. Instead I cancelled my pre-order for Obadiah/Iron Monger to save some $$$ and put toward this instead.

As much as I Iove these huge figures, I do hope that the Marvel HasLab offerings are mostly a little cheaper going forward.....

Wah, waah, waaaaaaaah. Swing and a miss. Morg and Frankie Raye funded so I'm good without this gem. Way to close it out guys. Still, more plastic for the price. It could be worse, but it sure coulda been a hella lot better. Firelord would a been an easy repaint of any number of molds and accessories.

I think one of the reasons this tier stings just a tad is because of the rhetoric around shipping and plastic prices (which were reasons used to help justify the price) and yet here we have what's essentially a plastic turd to most people.  I'd rather they just keep the plastic and pay it forward to some other project.  I mean, so many people would have been content with a round plastic ball (planet).  That would have made a decent portion of the buyers happy.  But this will cater to like...no one.  1%.  Some ridiculously small number.  It just doesn't make sense.  

I’m pretty meh on Doom head as well, at least Galan has more than 1 appearance. But as @RyanDaly pointed out, Galactus is all I wanted and the rest are cake.

Moving forward, the idea of Celestials is ridiculous. What are there? 12 or so? No way Hasbro could accurately represent that many and possibly more than Galactus. The colors are also most all different, the armor is different then add the cost: 12 (conservatively ) at $400 no way that is worth it to Hasbro or collectors.

If we got a Giant- Man / other tall characters, realistically they could make him at the size of the MU Sentinel / Galactus and charge only $70-$80 for him. Maybe stretch that to 150 with appropriate 4 tiers but the old ToyBiz version was about right for Giant -Man, no reason he needs to be a $400 + figure.. I’m telling you, us making Galactus the most successful Haslab project right after Hasbro charged us $350 for the Sentinels is setting a dangerous precedent.. it fine if we want back the projects but  what makes the not decide to charge $500 for a normal Giant Man while looking to get 18,000 backers.. ?

As an almost exclusively X-Men collector, there aren’t too many more characters (or concepts) I’d support as Haslabs, and even fewer that would likely be feasible. I’ve suggested a modular phalanx build-an-army set a number of times, and I’d definitely get behind a few of those. I’d want a Blackbird, but it would just be too big probably. People keep floating the idea of a large Apocalypse, which would be cool, but I don’t really care whether or not it exists. Otherwise, I’d be in for an Age of Apocalypse Amazon, a set of original Horsemen on their mechanical horses, some version of Krakoa, and… I don’t know. There isn’t much I can think of.

I think Hasbro should and will remain the option for not only large projects, but ones that require very particular, meticulous sculpting that can't be reused or recycled. Giant-Man's body is just a generic buck sized up ten times. That could be done for a number of giant heroes and villains with minimal retooling, and I think Hasbro could get away with making them deluxe figures. 

We also know that Hasbro is getting more comfortable with their large deluxe figures this year between M.O.D.O.K., Surtur, and the Hydra Stomper. Giant Man/Goliath/Atlas/Black Goliath, etc. could be done this way. So could Frost Giants. So could the Living Tribunal or some other cosmic characters. 

Getting back to HasLab's unique body options, yeah, I think options like the Mangog, Devil Dinosaur, Fin Fang Foom are more likely candidates. I also think they might take a swing at a vehicle at some point. A Quinjet or the X-Men's Blackbird seem like the most obvious choices, but I wouldn't be shocked if they tried something from the MCU like the Milano

Im totally confused by the DOOM head. Seems like a swing and miss on that one. I would have preferred just about ANYTHING else. I think the unique sculpting of Stardust would have been better served here. 

Now as for future projects...Id like to see some smaller figures at a smaller price point to round out the Legends line. I agree with Giant Man/ Goliath, Devil Dinosaur and the Watcher. Fin Fan Foom would be cool as well. 

I'm not made of money but I LOVE that Hasbro gives us the chance to get these giant characters like Master Mold and Galactus. 

On 8/29/2021 at 6:02 PM, tarot said:

Fin Fang foom.

The tallest BAF ever made was the Sentinel. Fin Fang Foom, even with his horns, is a quarter inch shorter. Here's a list I made if anyone is interested... cuz I'm crazy like that. There's obviously more than what is on my list, but I've sold many of mine over the years. So the list is based on the ones I currently still have. I think at this point there have been between 75 and 80 BAFs since ToyBiz started with Galactus.

Marvel Legends BAFs By Height

1. TB Sentinel – 15.5”  
  2. TB Apocalypse – 14”
  3. TB Giant Man/Antennae – 13.75/14”
  4. Fin Fang Foom/Horns – 13.25/15.25”
  5. MCU Deluxe Surtur – 13”
  6. MU Pym Goliath/Modern Giant Man/Antennae – 12/12.25”
  7. Stilt-man 2 extensions – 17.5”
  8. Mr. Fantastic stretched – 11.5”
  9. MCU Giant Ant Man – 10”
  10. MCU Groot – 9.5”
  11. MCU Hulkbuster Iron Man – 9.25”
  12. MS Destroyer/Head Plate – 9/9.25”
  13. Gameverse Abomination – 8.75”
  14. ML Watcher/Cowl – 8.5/8.75”
  15. Deluxe Hulk – 8.5”
  16. MCU Smart Hulk – 8.5”
  17. Deluxe MODOK – 8.5”
  18. Wendigo – 8.5”
  19. MCU Gladiator Hulk/Helmet – 8.25/9.25”
  20. Sentry – 8.25”
  21. Sasquatch – 8.25”
  22. Mr Hyde – 8.25”
  23. Joe Fixit – 8.25”
  24. MCU Ultron – 8”
  25. MCU EG Thanos – 8”
  26. Ulik – 8”
  27. Rhino – 8”
  28. Manthing – 8”
  29. Bor – 8”
  30. MCU IW Thanos – 7 7/8”
  31. Terrax – 7.75”
  32. Odin – 7.75”
  33. Korg – 7.75”
  34. Absorbing Man – 7.75”
  35. Modern Thanos – 7.5”
  36. Deluxe Classic Thanos – 7.5”
  37. Iron Monger – 7.5”
  38. MS Ultron – 7.5”
  39. Wrecking Crew – 7.5”
  40. Ares/Helmet – 7/8”
  41. Super Skrull – 6.75”
  42. M’Baku – 6.75”
  43. Arnim Zola – 6.25”
  44. MCU Mantis/Antennae – 6/6.25”
  45. MCU Okoye – 6”
  46. Hit Monkey – 3.25”
  47. Spiderham/Antennae – 3/3.25”
  48. Rocket Racoon – 3”

Can see FOOM making it to the lab bc  feel like he’s way closer up there with Sentinel and Galactus. Plus that creature would probably attract lot more than just ML collectors since he is a XL dragon.

For anything else, I expect there’ll have to be some serious tier power to influence my decision.