Hasbro July 16, 2021 Marvel Legends Live-Stream Coverage - Haslab Galactus

JayC

On 7/21/2021 at 12:06 AM, Air-Walker said:

Man, I really hope they show some unlockables soon, because I'm already starting to lose interest. 

Right? The high target and Galactus not being an army builder like the Sentinel are pretty clearly working against it, too. The increase in backers has slowed down. And while I'm sure the numbers are gonna jump when the 1st comes around, I doubt it will be as dramatic as Hasbro and current backers would probably hope. If they want to the want at least 14,000 backers in order to make this thing, it would be a good idea to show collectors more than what we've already seen.

People doubting that this will be funded don't seem to understand it only needs 150 new backers/day until the cutoff (stay in school, kids, math is important!)  It's not going to hit some crazy 25k milestone or anything.  But it'll make it.  As for the 'army builder' comments, comparing this to the Sentinel--100% true.  Several of my HC collector buddies ordered 3+ of those things.  It just doesn't make for a very good display to only have one.  And you almost never say them roaming around individually.  

On another note--this is actually smaller than I thought it would be.  It's big, yes.  But seeing Surfer in his hand actually had the reverse of the intended effect.  He's really about the same size as the Sentinel if you don't account for the Helmet adding another 4" to his height.

People doubting that this will be funded don't seem to understand it only needs 150 new backers/day until the cutoff (stay in school, kids, math is important!)  It's not going to hit some crazy 25k milestone or anything.  But it'll make it.  As for the 'army builder' comments, comparing this to the Sentinel--100% true.  Several of my HC collector buddies ordered 3+ of those things.  It just doesn't make for a very good display to only have one.  And you almost never say them roaming around individually.  

On 7/20/2021 at 9:06 PM, Air-Walker said:

Man, I really hope they show some unlockables soon, because I'm already starting to lose interest. 

I also agree. I feel like hasbro doesn’t understand how to use stretch goals to fuel additional interest. 

I ordered two sentinels but already regret not doing 3. I was on the fence last year with that decision. I’m half tempted to get an extra Galactus to try to make a trade happen down the line. 

I'd really like to see them do big vehicles like the Quinjet and x-jet/Black bird. I was really hoping that this would have been the Fantastic car instead of Galactus and save him for a little farther down the road and honestly I'd prefer them to do a Haslab every other year I just got the sentinel and they haven't even shipped them yet and now expect me to pay another $400.00.

On 7/20/2021 at 10:58 PM, MightyThorness said:

I'd really like to see them do big vehicles like the Quinjet and x-jet/Black bird. I was really hoping that this would have been the Fantastic car instead of Galactus and save him for a little farther down the road and honestly I'd prefer them to do a Haslab every other year I just got the sentinel and they haven't even shipped them yet and now expect me to pay another $400.00.

The problem is, even though a few people on here have said they wanted the Fantasticar, most people wouldn't buy the thing.  Certainly not 14,000.  It's just not as iconic as Galactus or the Sentinels.

On 7/20/2021 at 9:58 PM, MightyThorness said:

I think the most practical vehicle for them to do would be the Fantasticar and/or the Punisher van. Something that can hold 4 figures, separates into individual units, with working lights etc. I can see dropping the kind of money Sentinel and Galactus are looking for. A van with all the bells and whistles, weapons, extendable platform etc. would probably be easier to produce, though, and probably a tad less expensive. At the same time, the Quinjet and Black Bird both probably have more name recognition. Decisions, decisions.....

On 7/20/2021 at 8:06 PM, Air-Walker said:

I said the same thing earlier, I think the enthusiasm has died down. I'm not saying the project won't get funded, but people are beginning to look at the proposed product and the price and are going "whoa, am I really doing this?" and they're taking a beat.

At the end of the day their desire to get it will win out over any practical concerns. Especially if haslab tosses out that incredible 6" figure that'll re-ignite interest. 

But the more I think of it, the more steamed I get. It smacks of gouging, it says they know big G can't stand on his own (no pun intended), it tells me they see us as Suckers. I don' like that....

When I first heard the size complaint I thought it was ridiculous, but after thinking about it, I kinda get it.... I mean Galactus is a sun - planet sized being and this guy is a head bigger than sentinal. However, I think it's size doesn't really matter at this rate. I mean no matter how big they made a Galactus toy it will never be exactly to scale. In order for a Galactus toy to be in scale he'd have to be as big as the moon lmao. 

On 7/21/2021 at 10:46 AM, BlameitonLoren said:

When I first heard the size complaint I thought it was ridiculous, but after thinking about it, I kinda get it.... I mean Galactus is a sun - planet sized being and this guy is a head bigger than sentinal. However, I think it's size doesn't really matter at this rate. I mean no matter how big they made a Galactus toy it will never be exactly to scale. In order for a Galactus toy to be in scale he'd have to be as big as the moon lmao. 

Yeah that's right. We have to accept that some figures will just not be scaled properly because sometimes it can't happen. 

On 7/21/2021 at 3:46 AM, BlameitonLoren said:

He is in scale.

Yes, his height and weight are variable, but his normal height is listed as 28'9" in the Marvel Directory (http://www.marveldirectory.com/individuals/g/galactus.htm), the OHOTMU, and the Marvel Database (https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Galan_(Earth-616)).  At 32", the figure is generously accurate.

On 7/21/2021 at 12:18 AM, Atlantis said:

I said the same thing earlier, I think the enthusiasm has died down. I'm not saying the project won't get funded, but people are beginning to look at the proposed product and the price and are going "whoa, am I really doing this?" and they're taking a beat.

Yeah, I think when people look at the overall value of what they got with the Sentinel compared to what they're getting with Galactus, there is hesitation.  I understand why it's more expensive but why the higher initial funding requirement?  Seems a little presumptuous.  Those Sentinel unlockables really made a huge difference, especially when you consider each of them a $20 value...

On 7/21/2021 at 12:17 AM, Satam said:

Right? The high target and Galactus not being an army builder like the Sentinel are pretty clearly working against it, too. The increase in backers has slowed down. And while I'm sure the numbers are gonna jump when the 1st comes around, I doubt it will be as dramatic as Hasbro and current backers would probably hope. If they want to the want at least 14,000 backers in order to make this thing, it would be a good idea to show collectors more than what we've already seen.

Agreed, I get less interested by the day, especially since he's more modern looking. I mean, I get why they made him modern looking, but for old pharts like me it's another strike. As you said, they need to show something and stop playing this so close to the vest.

On 7/21/2021 at 3:18 AM, Atlantis said:

At the end of the day their desire to get it will win out over any practical concerns. Especially if haslab tosses out that incredible 6" figure that'll re-ignite interest. 

But the more I think of it, the more steamed I get. It smacks of gouging, it says they know big G can't stand on his own (no pun intended), it tells me they see us as Suckers. I don' like that....

Agreed. And to expand on Satam's point, I think if they'd showed an array of sweet add-ons by now, this may have been backed already. As is, I'm starting to feel lead by the nose, and I don't like it. Yes, I know Hasbro has always done this for their Haslabs, but after all the BS with their exclusives and artificial scarcity (mainly with Joes but really with all their lines), and all the firestorm backlash it's generated online...this whole backer baiting game just isn't a good look. 

And to expand on your other point, practical concerns are actually starting to sober up my initial excitement now, lol. Big G here looks dope, he looks amazing....but he doesn't excite me. If I were to get it, I'd be spending umpteen-hundred dollars only for the add-ons and left with a behemoth of a figure that I don't really care about. Despite how badly I've wanted a figure of my namesake, the logic isn't exactly adding up, lol. Sigh...we'll see, but they better start getting people riled up again, because yeah, it does seem like interest is waning amongst fans. 

On 7/21/2021 at 8:18 AM, Truopt said:

This is awesome, but now the sentinel is out of scale 😆.  I figured this would happen, I just kept the amazon exclusive sentinels, I feel like 16 inches is good on them. 

They're both in scale.  Galactus should not be smaller/the same size as the Sentinel and, based on comic info that's been narrowed, they're both approx. the size they were most consistently featured.  16 inches is tiny for a Sentinel.  The only time we saw them that scale was in Days of Future Past.  Arguably the best X-Men film but will ultimately be forgotten when they reboot that franchise (yet again).  

On 7/21/2021 at 8:21 AM, Air-Walker said:

Agreed. And to expand on Satam's point, I think if they'd showed an array of sweet add-ons by now, this may have been backed already. As is, I'm starting to feel lead by the nose, and I don't like it. Yes, I know Hasbro has always done this for their Haslabs, but after all the BS with their exclusives and artificial scarcity (mainly with Joes but really with all their lines), and all the firestorm backlash it's generated online...this whole backer baiting game just isn't a good look. 

The Sentinel was completely different--it'd already met it's backer goal before they really showed anything other than the 'standard' add-ons.  They even admitted that some needed to be improvised because it succeeded so well (read: the second tentacle...they never expected it to hit the numbers it did).  I think they expected the excitement over Galactus to be at least as much as it was with the sentinel.  They under-estimate just how iconic the Sentinel is by comparison.  That and they gave us both a bigger price tag and larger initial backer requirement.  Honestly, this should have come auto with a herald.  But they didn't *need* to give us three faceplates (which are all awesome) and could have just as easily made those a tier so...

Anyway, we'll see what they do in a week or so.  We should be over the 10k mark by then, still on track to fund, but they'll want to see a boost in orders if they continue to wane.  But hey, if they'd done the stupid Fantasticar, we'd be hovering at 2k right now so...

On 7/21/2021 at 11:18 AM, Truopt said:

This is awesome, but now the sentinel is out of scale 😆.  I figured this would happen, I just kept the amazon exclusive sentinels, I feel like 16 inches is good on them. 

Well, they are and they aren't.  The thing is that the Sentinels vary in size depending on the model that you're talking about.  Most sources put the Marks II - VI at 20' tall.  After the Mark VI, the sentinels were drawn with more and more variation and artistic license than they had been before.  Also, I've had a difficult time finding official heights for most models after the Mark VI, but the Mark VIII at least looks a little taller than 20' in the artwork I've seen.  Of course, none of that really matters because the HasLab Sentinel doesn't seem to conform to any specific model of Sentinel from the comics.  Maybe it looks closest to the Mark VIII?  (I'd love a correction on that last point if I'm wrong, btw.)

So yes, the HasLab sentinel is taller in scale than what at least I would call "the more classic Sentinel models" (marks II - VI, excluding V).  But it is not necessarily out of scale with more modern models and looks (again, to me at least) to be a little closer to a more modern sentinel's height, which matches Hasbro's overall design.

I agree that 16" is a good size for a "classic" Sentinel action figure, but then I subscribe to sliding size scale theory.  I actually wasn't going to back the HasLab sentinel, just because I thought it was a little too big, but then those dang stretch goals were met.  So, while I didn't feel like I needed to back a 26" Sentinel, I absolutely needed to back a 27" Master Mold.  That's how they get ya.

On 7/20/2021 at 10:49 AM, mako said:

I'm not talking about the FIGURES, I'm talking about the CHARACTERS. I don't need a 3ft. Galactus, but I do want a Galactus. There's no reason he couldn't be done as a build-a-figure . . . or a deluxe figure . . . or BOTH. What about the heralds? I want an improved Terrax, but it looks like THAT won't be happening either.

It was one thing when they wasted slots in a wave with crap like Boxer-Shorts Deadpool. At least I knew that eventually they'd get around to the characters I want to buy. Now, we don't even have THAT little placebo.

Sure, they'll get around to such-and-such . . . assuming he isn't earmarked as a tier incentive for a HasScam Quinjet or whatever.

I just don't understand why you keep calling it "HasScam"- I know being a bit grumpy is kind of your schtick (which is fine- one of my best friends is a goodhearted grump), but HasLab is much more transparent than a lot of the things that big toy companies do.  You seem to have a limit, where you don't buy items above a certain price point. I totally respect that, and it is a wise person who can set and stick to limits for themselves. These HasLab projects are not for you- they are for people who want a giant Galactus, and/or are fine spending $400.00 on an item for their collection. There are some companies that make really cool statues that are many hundreds, even thousands, of dollars- those aren't for me, but this is. It's not a scam, you're just not the kind of consumer that this is aimed at.

We have seen about the limits of what Hasbro will do for Deluxe figures and BAFs, I think. I have no interest in a 12" Galactus, and it would be a wasted spot for a more in-scale large character to be done as a deluxe release or BAF. 9 or 10 inches seems to be about the limit for BAFs these recent years, and 12" or so the limit for deluxe releases. 

I think it's great to have 6" figures as stretch goals for these projects. I also think those figures should all be very niche/obscure. I don't think Firelord, updated Terrax, Frankie-Nova, or even Morg should be stretch goals, unless they are, say, paint variants of an upcoming general-release version. I think that Norrin Radd and Shalla Bal would be great choices, because they are figures that Hasbro would most likely not make otherwise.

I think having this big Galactus get made actually improves our chances of getting more general-release figures of Galactus-related characters. If Hasbro sees that they can sell 21,000 units of a $400.00 Galactus, they might feel more comfortable with the demand for, say, Airwalker in a F4 Legends wave.

On 7/21/2021 at 1:58 AM, MightyThorness said:

I said the same thing and people jumped to Hasbro’s defense saying they are good for it. Not really the point, what bugs me I’d that it seems Hasbro continues to hold out their hand without delivering the goods. 

Id have liked to see the Sentinel released before asking interested parties to spend more

On 7/21/2021 at 11:12 AM, Virtualzach said:

Yeah, I think when people look at the overall value of what they got with the Sentinel compared to what they're getting with Galactus, there is hesitation.  I understand why it's more expensive but why the higher initial funding requirement?  Seems a little presumptuous.  Those Sentinel unlockables really made a huge difference, especially when you consider each of them a $20 value...

I also said what you are saying here but got an economics lesson from posters haha.. guess I brought up these concerns before the excitement died down and people didn’t want to hear it. 

i still agree, at face value, the Sentinel APPEARS to be a much better deal at this point. 

Cmon Hasbro, gives us some incentive!