Hasbro Announces Second July Marvel Legends Live-Stream Coverage - What If?

JayC

On 7/28/2021 at 6:32 PM, NotNamed said:

My Target has a ton of those Shiang Chi movie figures on clearance as low as $6.89. Apparently I'm not the only one who doesn't want bland non-costumed movie figures. I'm betting it's not just 40 year old geeks who want comic based figures because the bright costumes appeal to kids as well.

Eternals figures: " Hold our beer". 

On 7/29/2021 at 1:35 AM, Gigantor said:

Oh, but they can make a comic based character as the BAF for an MCU wave...gotcha.

No. Those are usually mixed waves with comic figure in them. This is mostly a full wave of one TV series with not comic figure so they wouldn't put comic baf in it. 

On 7/28/2021 at 7:55 PM, tarot said:

No. Those are usually mixed waves with comic figure in them. This is mostly a full wave of one TV series with not comic figure so they wouldn't put comic baf in it. 

Also, this stylized animated version of The Watcher is going to be the face of WHAT IF...? He's going to introduce/narrate every episode; he's the constant. When people think of What If...? they're going to think of the Watcher, so to not replicate the cartoon Watcher for a cartoon What If...? wave would be... negligence.

On 7/28/2021 at 7:35 PM, Gigantor said:

Oh, but they can make a comic based character as the BAF for an MCU wave...gotcha.

Has there ever been a comic BAF for an all MCU wave? Also, please don't try to pretend if they had made a classic comic Uatu for the What If? wave, many of the same people upset about this being an MCU version wouldn't also be complaining about having to buy an all MCU wave just for a classic comic BAF.

As I said earlier, this is a situation where collectors who only stick with comic versions (nothing wrong with that, of course) were likely gonna be upset no matter what Hasbro did.

On 7/28/2021 at 8:09 PM, watanabefan said:

As I said earlier, this is a situation where collectors who only stick with comic versions (nothing wrong with that, of course) were likely gonna be upset no matter what Hasbro did.

Had I known this presentation would be mostly MCU focused with the What If...? wave and also the new Homecoming Vulture, I wouldn't have gotten my hopes up. But, as I mentioned earlier, after the Infinity Saga onslaught of reveals back in May, Dan Yun said something to the effect of "folks who collect comic book figures, July is going to be a big month for you."

Well, now I realize he was being too-cute-by-half with the "big" comment relating to Galactus, because the only comic figures we got announced this month are Hercules, Tigra, Binary, and a repainted ninja. Today Dan tweeted, "August is gonna be awesome too." It's kind of hard not to feel like the marketing guys are jerking us around.

On 7/29/2021 at 2:20 AM, RyanDaly said:

Had I known this presentation would be mostly MCU focused with the What If...? wave and also the new Homecoming Vulture, I wouldn't have gotten my hopes up. But, as I mentioned earlier, after the Infinity Saga onslaught of reveals back in May, Dan Yun said something to the effect of "folks who collect comic book figures, July is going to be a big month for you."

Well, now I realize he was being too-cute-by-half with the "big" comment relating to Galactus, because the only comic figures we got announced this month are Hercules, Tigra, Binary, and a repainted ninja. Today Dan tweeted, "August is gonna be awesome too." It's kind of hard not to feel like the marketing guys are jerking us around.

Well in all fairness, @JayC did warn us it would be the what if wave and not get our hopes too high but we didn't listen

Also, please don't try to pretend if they had made a classic comic Uatu for the What If? wave, many of the same people upset about this being an MCU version wouldn't also be complaining about having to buy an all MCU wave just for a classic comic BAF.

Haha, thats totally true, I still curse Habro for making me buy a whole wave and sell it one month later only to get my Mr. Hide. Im actually happy my wallet can take a break (only Binary and Tigra for me) 🙃

Has there ever been a comic BAF for an all MCU wave? Also, please don't try to pretend if they had made a classic comic Uatu for the What If? wave, many of the same people upset about this being an MCU version wouldn't also be complaining about having to buy an all MCU wave just for a classic comic BAF.

I'm not a fan of the Watcher so wasn't getting it regardless.  It's a wave based on an animated series which just like spider verse, & MsheU, I don't collect. 

On 7/28/2021 at 8:20 PM, RyanDaly said:

I usually do not get my hopes up when it comes to reveals. I been collecting Marvel figures from Hasbro for ten years so I learned that they like to stall and keep collectors in suspence so they can get you possibly interested in something else while you wait for that character reveal you really been waiting. Its a buisness thing.

I was out all day running errands and wasn't able to finally sit down till now, all excited to see the reveals.....aaaaand two...TWO whole figures, lol. Ah well.

Binary was a nice surprise, but I'm really disappointed they put her Twiggy Bishop's body, man! I hate that they'll now have Carol Danvers on mismatched bodies throughout her incarnations. I just hope that whenever they get around to making her in her classic Ms Marvel outfit that they go back to the Moonstone buck or a new body the same size. 

EDIT: is it still possible to make enough noise for them to change that I wonder?

Tigra looks fantastic, though her head seems a bit small'ish? Ah well...still looks great and I love the new bod. 

One thing I caught during the live-stream was what was said about releasing products that supported the Galactus Haslab. This has got me hoping now that they won't release any more Heralds with the Haslab and give my namesake and the others wide releases. I'd absolutely love a figure of Nova, but not for $700-800! I could live without her and just customize one.

On 7/28/2021 at 6:22 PM, tarot said:

Well in all fairness, @JayC did warn us it would be the what if wave and not get our hopes too high but we didn't listen

I'm pretty sure August will be better for comic fans. I'm betting we'll get the full F4 retro reveal, some more Spider-Man retro and probably Excalibur. Then September will be MCU, with No Way Home and maybe Eternals. And also whatever they show at Pulsecon. 

On 7/28/2021 at 8:11 AM, JayC said:

Damn I wanted to see a tease for High Evolutionary 😞

Right? It was really amazing how many missed opportunities they made. They sure did build up our expectations. 

The best take aways, for me, were tidbits but at least something to work with:

• They're publicly acknowledging that they're aware of the problem with walgreens
  • They know there are super teams out there they've not completed and/or haven't started
  • At least two all new classic characters are coming 
  • They lied their asses off a few months ago, when fans asked how they messed up Omega Sentinel, and they said they just went with the first picture they saw off Google images  LOL

It super disappointing to see Binary on that inaccurate  skinny Kate Bishop body when they did black cat reusing moonstone mold or even better they could have used new arms and Legs from Tigra mold and give us not only Binary that is double jointed and more proportionally appropriate but new standard buck for females with better proportions, articulation and pinless joints.  You can easily see how much difference there is between figure and cover art.

spacer.png

As for MCU figures,  glad too see Peggy Cap and Spidey that has pinless articulation, pretty much the first one if we don't count into the spider-verse figures that had clothes and not two color suit where these pins are real issue, Zombie Cap is pretty cool too and I have suspicion that doctor strange torso could be reused for future comic book strange due to logo similarity. 

On 7/28/2021 at 7:57 PM, McHogan said:

I saw someone mention that the Watcher was the BAF for the next D+ wave and my first thought was I needed to cancel my Select pre- order. Then I saw the BAF. Think I’ll too stick to the Select version. Bummer, if just one character needed to be in his classic comic suit it is the Watcher. Mr. Hyde level disappointment here.

Add this inarticulate “figure” to the list in Hasbro’s “robes era “ that includes most of the the Shang Chi wave and ALL of those abysmal Eternals figures.

This isn’t the suit the Watchers wore in the Stan Lee cameo from GOTG v2 is it?

No Michael Keaton head sculpt is  missed opportunity for a deluxe set.

These animated designs.. wasn’t sure about them with the Into The Spider Verse and not sure about them here. Few if any fit easily into my existing collection and there isn’t enough of them to stand on their own.  These animated designs are becoming a completely different sub line that I’m not sure I’m willing to invest in. Guess we will see.

That Hydra Stomper is also a bit of a stretch to ask us to spend $30-$40 ( guessing here ) on an unknown character. They tried that with that terrible Outback Hulk Gamerverse figure and that thing pegwarmed HARD.

Right??  20 years for ML to give us a Watcher, and the 15-yr-old DS version is still better looking. *sigh*

On 7/29/2021 at 5:52 AM, Atlantis said:

Right? It was really amazing how many missed opportunities they made. They sure did build up our expectations. 

The best take aways, for me, were tidbits but at least something to work with:

• They're publicly acknowledging that they're aware of the problem with walgreens
  • They know there are super teams out there they've not completed and/or haven't started
  • At least two all new classic characters are coming 
  • They lied their asses off a few months ago, when fans asked how they messed up Omega Sentinel, and they said they just went with the first picture they saw off Google images  LOL

• They know but probably wouldn't do anything about it.
  • All we need is Morph to complete the XTAS team and they still haven't done him. 
  • Maybe on more retro cards...
  • Yeah, nothing could excuse that disaster.

On 7/28/2021 at 3:42 PM, Atlantis said:

Tragic....they gave us nothing except Psycho Man. Glad we're getting him but still....this was a weak reveal and didn't have to be.

Yeah.. and the delivery date for the F4 figures got indefinitely postponed now as well 😕
I will keep you guys updated and post pictures in case I receive anything here before elsewhere...