Hasbro Announces Second July Marvel Legends Live-Stream Coverage - What If?

JayC

On 7/29/2021 at 1:44 PM, MODADDYDODOK said:

Am too lazy to backtrack but someone here yesterday said that he regularly talks with one of the reviewers that got a question in — Said they had a list of things Hasbro didn’t want them touching on and one of those things was the moonstone buck.

Alas for this age we're living in; where toy-makers act like politicians with their scripted questions 🤮

And yet, why would the matter of a Super-heroine action-figure body be a radioactive topic though? 🤔🤷‍♂️

On 7/29/2021 at 1:01 PM, Air-Walker said:

Alas for this age we're living in; where toy-makers act like politicians with their scripted questions 🤮

And yet, why would the matter of a Super-heroine action-figure body be a radioactive topic though? 🤔🤷‍♂️

I assume that buck's bust is too large for the snowflakes at Hasbro to release unless it's on a retro card. This is the same group that told Super7 no hood for Cobra Commander. Apparently blue and blunt is the same as white and pointy in their minds.

On 7/29/2021 at 9:44 AM, MODADDYDODOK said:

Am too lazy to backtrack but someone here yesterday said that he regularly talks with one of the reviewers that got a question in — Said they had a list of things Hasbro didn’t want them touching on and one of those things was the moonstone buck.

So its basically hearsay, he said /she said. Could be right, but there's no one to confirm that until "someone" comes forward and the reviewer supports it.

On 7/28/2021 at 7:58 PM, RyanDaly said:

Also, this stylized animated version of The Watcher is going to be the face of WHAT IF...? He's going to introduce/narrate every episode; he's the constant. When people think of What If...? they're going to think of the Watcher, so to not replicate the cartoon Watcher for a cartoon What If...? wave would be... negligence.

Okay but what would have been wrong with making him look more traditional in the cartoon. Then we could have gotten a traditional looking fig for all the old guard and still a new introduction for the new comers. These are comic characters after all. Well with the rare exception such as Firestar. 

On 7/29/2021 at 1:59 PM, NotNamed said:

I assume that buck's bust is too large for the snowflakes at Hasbro to release unless it's on a retro card. This is the same group that told Super7 no hood for Cobra Commander. Apparently blue and blunt is the same as white and pointy in their minds.

The hood is Cobra Commander iconic look... It's my favorite look for him... Didn't know that a blue hood is the same as a white pointed one..Some people get all crybaby about pointless things...hate to see whats next to cry about.

On 7/29/2021 at 2:34 PM, Typhis said:

The hood is Cobra Commander iconic look... It's my favorite look for him... Didn't know that a blue hood is the same as a white pointed one..Some people get all crybaby about pointless things...hate to see whats next to cry about.

Same. Most of the figures of him I had as a kid were hooded and he was hooded in the comic 98% of the time. It's a ridiculous overreaction. I mean they just put out a hooded one in 2017. Apparently his iconic look became offensive in 4 short years.

On 7/29/2021 at 12:44 PM, MODADDYDODOK said:

It was I. I made friends with a particular "Influencer" while he was active on these forums. We've maintained contact and friendship and business relationship. I've not discussed with him in this particular instance, but there have been similar events in the past where the questioner(s) were more or less hand picked and basically told what to stay clear of. At that time the Moonstone buck was quite a polarizing issue as it was speculated that it was put on the shelf for being too "curvy", but that is still only speculation even to this day, but either way they would not be answering any questions in it's regard. Not saying so much that you couldn't ask the question, but you had a better chance of getting a question spotlighted the more milk toast that it was. Other things on the list was specific characters that hadn't been done yet and rumors and spoilers for movie figures that hadn't been revealed yet.

Now I don't know if those guidelines are still in place of enforced, but I don't see any reasons they would have changed as the team has only become more and more secretive since that time.

On 7/29/2021 at 2:24 PM, LordVenger said:

Okay but what would have been wrong with making him look more traditional in the cartoon. Then we could have gotten a traditional looking fig for all the old guard and still a new introduction for the new comers. These are comic characters after all. Well with the rare exception such as Firestar. 

I don't have an answer for that but that decision isn't made by Hasbro or their toy design guys. That comes from Disney and Marvel Studios.

Yesterday, it looked like The Watcher BAF was spread out among only four figures from the wave. That's not the case. Looking at them again on the preorder sites, it's clear that both Doctor Strange and Zombie Hunter Spider-Man come with Uatu's legs (they must be packed horizontally beneath the figure, behind the name/logo. Zombie Captain America is the only figure from the wave who doesn't come with a BAF part. 

I for one wish they would assign " bucks" to characters and leave them in place.

MS. Marvel/Warbird/Binary should be on the "Moonstone buck" that's how she started out in the 3 pack she was released in. 

I don't mean to say every character needs to be on that body type...but if you are doing the same character multiple times ...stick with it! 

They use different body types for the men don't they? Not every male superhero looks like " bucky-Cap" 

I dont need political correctness in my action figures. I would like the figure to be the best representation of the character from the source material. 

Stepping off my soapbox now.

On 7/29/2021 at 12:12 PM, Atlantis said:

Did I not just post yesterday how it makes no sense that they can distinguish between the correct body type for Cap, Spidey and Thor, but seem to think the female types are all one size fits all?? Binary/Ms. Marvel does not have the body of a frickin teen girl! She's 5'10"- 5'11" at 120+ lbs. NOT a kid. They easily could have gone with the Rogue body which they recently re-released at Target. Now THIS is a question some of these toy youtubers they had on today should have asked: wtf do you guys keep doing this??

I think reason they do is just because  it's super cheap for them for some reason, but when you think about what is bigger implication that they have this "one size fits all" attitude, which is pretty bad and problematic approach in general, only thing that keeps me happy, calm and hopeful about future of legends is Tigra.  

On 7/30/2021 at 1:08 AM, GrtWhiteCustoms said:

I for one wish they would assign " bucks" to characters and leave them in place.

MS. Marvel/Warbird/Binary should be on the "Moonstone buck" that's how she started out in the 3 pack she was released in. 

I don't mean to say every character needs to be on that body type...but if you are doing the same character multiple times ...stick with it! 

They use different body types for the men don't they? Not every male superhero looks like " bucky-Cap" 

I dont need political correctness in my action figures. I would like the figure to be the best representation of the character from the source material. 

I think it's opposite of PC tbh, Kate Bishop body has least amount of plastic and parts compared to Moonstone, so it's cheap, which makes it seem like plain disrespect to the character and fans, and view that all women should have same body just because it easier and cheaper to produce it.

On 7/29/2021 at 1:08 PM, GrtWhiteCustoms said:

Stay on that soapbox. Its not even about political correctness. Its about accuracy. As I've said before, there's no confusion or concern for these guys when they produce Cap, Spidey and Thor. Its a given that these characters will be on different bucks, as they should be.

But they're like the quintessential, geek- spasm nerd when it comes to women. They're either hiding in a corner, scared to look at them, wetting themselves, or drooling and objectifying them. Don't these clowns have girlfriends or wives?? Mothers, daughters??  They lose they damn mind! I swear its like they're so afraid to depict a woman they just decide to default to a one-size fits all. They've got Kate Bishop on the same mold as Dagger, Shiklah and the Black Widow. Dagger, ok I can see that I guess....but the other two?? How do you make this kind of error?

And its a damn shame too because AGAIN as I've said before, they're really doing a fantastic job with the female faces. They've come such a long way.

That gets nullified though, when you give Phoenix/Marvel Girl/Jean Grey totally different body types and faces with each figure. Its not that hard to get it right and make it accurate.

On 7/29/2021 at 10:35 PM, cbwilk said:

Nothing has creeped me out more since I got back into collecting as an adult than finding out that lots of dudes care about the chest size of action figures. So weird.

Right? Especially since the victim-complex dudes always jump straight to the frankly bizarre conclusion that the perceived lack of variety in body-types is some sort of symptom of the PC agenda, when more than likely exactly the opposite is true: Hasbro doesn't believe toys of women will sell as well as men in what is likely still considered a "boy's toy line" behind the scenes, and so they're not willing to spend as much money on their female characters, which leads to a much smaller portfolio of available sculpts. The end.

And, yeah, Wolverine, Captain America, Spider-Man, etc., all reflect the pronounced differences between their respective body types, but only because those characters are proven sellers, so they justify the extra expense. It wasn't always that way for these characters. Hell, Wolverine didn't get an appropriate sculpt until 2016. When they release more obscure male characters (ie. other characters they don't expect to sell as well), they often cheap out on them too. See Cyber, for instance, who is a very different size and shape than Colossus in the comics.

For better or worse, not all toys in this line get the same level of attention to detail, and the comparatively small number of female sculpts is directly correlated with that. What's extra funny is that people refusing to buy all these toys because they're "on the Kate Bishop buck again" is sending Hasbro the signal that they're right not to spend more money on their lady characters, since they don't sell. I obviously don't think people should feel obligated to buy things they don't want, but this is a tricky issue, because it seems likely that if more people sucked it up and bought a bunch of Kate Bishop clones, we'd likely start to see more body diversity amongst the ladies.

Frankly, as much as I'd like to see more variety in height and body-type, I'm really glad they seem to be phasing out that bizarre Moonstone body. It's deeply weird, and not up to the quality standards of most of the other sculpts they use.

On 7/29/2021 at 7:14 PM, Benn said:

Right? Especially since the victim-complex dudes always jump straight to the frankly bizarre conclusion that the perceived lack of variety in body-types is some sort of symptom of the PC agenda, when more than likely exactly the opposite is true: Hasbro doesn't believe toys of women will sell as well as men in what is likely still considered a "boy's toy line" behind the scenes, and so they're not willing to spend as much money on their female characters, which leads to a much smaller portfolio of available sculpts. The end.

And, yeah, Wolverine, Captain America, Spider-Man, etc., all reflect the pronounced differences between their respective body types, but only because those characters are proven sellers, so they justify the extra expense. It wasn't always that way for these characters.  

For better or worse, not all toys in this line get the same level of attention to detail, and the comparatively small number of female sculpts is directly correlated with that. What's extra funny is that people refusing to buy all these toys because they're "on the Kate Bishop buck again" is sending Hasbro the signal that they're right not to spend more money on their lady characters, since they don't sell. I obviously don't think people should feel obligated to buy things they don't want, but this is a tricky issue, because it seems likely that if more people sucked it up and bought a bunch of Kate Bishop clones, we'd likely start to see more body diversity amongst the ladies.

Frankly, as much as I'd like to see more variety in height and body-type, I'm really glad they seem to be phasing out that bizarre Moonstone body. It's deeply weird, and not up to the quality standards of most of the other sculpts they use.

I cant speak for others. Its not about "chest size". I can only say for myself, its an issue of accuracy. No one can rationally dismiss what I said about the nonsense of using a teen girl body buck for a figure like what Shilka is supposed to be. You simply wouldn't do that if you were making an adult buff male figure. Trying to denigrate it to a "dude caring about chest size" says more about cbwilik, than anything else.

And here's one to chew on: the character that should have been on the slender/scrawny side, Callisto, what did they do? They used a non-scrawny buck! Puffy cheeks and all. Its bizarre.

As for the example of the Cap/Spidey/Thor trio, you actually proved my point. These guys didn't always have the right proportions (Cap just recently got his chain mail) and the reason they got them was because collectors called hasbro out on it. Just like we're finally getting double jointed elbows/biceps swivel. 

Maybe the reason the female figs aren't "proven sellers" is because people don't wanna spend money on something that's inaccurate. I doubt that Hasbro isn't willing to spend the money on female characters, because they're  doing such a good job on faces.  Their past efforts, not to mention the toybiz line, were nothing less than nightmare inducing. 

And to be clear, I never specified which buck Binary should be on. The moonstone buck though, is more accurate than the one we're seeing. But lets be honest, if Hasbro started using that as their go-to, majority of you wouldn't mind. Let's stop the hypocrisy. Hasbro needs to get more diverse body types not just for female and male figs, but "civilian" figs as well. 

On 7/29/2021 at 9:35 PM, cbwilk said:

Nothing has creeped me out more since I got back into collecting as an adult than finding out that lots of dudes care about the chest size of action figures. So weird.

you’re right, it is so creepy and weird that collectors want to get a little more of that comic curve and accuracy portrayed onto their figures. SUPER weird.

On 7/29/2021 at 9:35 PM, cbwilk said:

Yeah but I want my Hulk to have a big chest. He just does not look right without one.

When it comes to accuracy, it is valid to ask why Jean Grey HOX is smaller than Love Triangle Jean Grey. It is also reasonable to ask why Silver Surfer is not on a larger body mold. If they have the molds to fix these discrepancies, they should. But fixating on a female action figures cup size is odd. You can call it political correctness if you want, but the fact is in the comics world the artists and fans have a fetish for how they want their females to look, which I find to be funny. Most women do not look that way. But if that is what the small comic community wants, who am I to judge? But to expect that to translate to toys that say “Ages 4+” and get mad when it does not, come on. 

I don’t think the cup size has been the precise point that us creeps🙄🙂 have been trying to get across. I just don’t think the Kate Bishop mold makes a lot of these comic figure women look badass like they likely would on the thicker buck. No one see all the customs that use the Moonstone buck? Lots of characters look way better on it  imo (Psylocke, etc). 

But 100%, Binary should’ve went on it. Just like Warbird and the modern Captain Carols. And so should classic Ms Marvel. 😜

On 7/30/2021 at 7:48 AM, GreenwithNV said:

You can call it political correctness if you want, but the fact is in the comics world the artists and fans have a fetish for how they want their females to look, which I find to be funny. Most women do not look that way.

And? Most men do not look that way either.

I for one NEVER said anything about "cup size!" 

The issue with me, as I stated, is consistently. Warbird was on the "Moonstone buck" Binary should be represented the same being the same person. 

I don't care how big a figures chest size is!! I do want diversity in my figures though. I like that some characters are smaller while some are larger. Rogue and Carol Danvers are depicted as larger women so I like their figures to represent this.

She Hulk would not look right on the smaller buck and if she were presented as such, fans would be incensed!  

I am simply restating my initial complaint...have different bucks for different characters according to how they are depicted. The Moonstone buck has a place in the line as much as the smaller Firestar buck. 

That's it! 

On 7/30/2021 at 4:48 AM, GreenwithNV said:

When it comes to accuracy, it is valid to ask why Jean Grey HOX is smaller than Love Triangle Jean Grey. It is also reasonable to ask why Silver Surfer is not on a larger body mold. If they have the molds to fix these discrepancies, they should. But fixating on a female action figures cup size is odd. You can call it political correctness if you want, but the fact is in the comics world the artists and fans have a fetish for how they want their females to look, which I find to be funny. Most women do not look that way. But if that is what the small comic community wants, who am I to judge? But to expect that to translate to toys that say “Ages 4+” and get mad when it does not, come on. 

People want to keep bringing this down to "fixating on chest size" as a distractor from the main criticism, because they know they have no valid counter. 

So they turn to name calling  i.e. "weird" or "odd". Which is just short hand for "pervs". 

But that is not the issue. The issue is about accuracy and the inherent double standard shown for male figs vs female figs. Its bad enough that the production team is doing this, but its worse when some of the collector community goes along with it. The line is making figures from the comics. The comics depict their characters a certain way, the figures should reflect that. Accuracy.

If you're saying the comic artists have a fetish, or that most women don't look "that way", I'll point out most men don't look like the Sub-Mariner or Captain America (and I don't know how anyone can wear a mask so tight that when he furrows his brow, the lines show up that way on the mask too, but comics have done that for decades), but no one's criticizing the way these figures are depicted.  I'll also point out that fans and collectors bought those very comics featuring women who looked "that way" for decades, so for anyone who's balking about it, now that those characters are in action figure form, I have to call out their hypocrisy. 

20 years ago many people were happy to get Wolverine in action figure form, but pointed out he should be shorter than the standard 6"; they wanted accuracy. Eventually they got it.  Fans questioned why female figs couldn't have double elbows and rotating biceps; they were told it would mess up the figure, it couldn't be done, blah blah. But today double jointed elbows are well on their way to becoming standard. 

Years ago, DC Universe Classics produced a Star Sapphire action figure. Sold in retail stores all over. She's wearing one of the most ridiculous, outlandishly designed costumes ever seen. I don't know if that thing was held up by pasties or what, but its absurd. Yet as stupid as it is, it is as the comic had it. As far as her costume goes, it is accurate.

And here's something: Those 4+ year olds you mention?  Didn't have a problem with it at all.