Hasbro Announces Second July Marvel Legends Live-Stream Coverage - What If?

JayC

On 7/30/2021 at 12:16 PM, Atlantis said:

20 years ago many people were happy to get Wolverine in action figure form, but pointed out he should be shorter than the standard 6"; they wanted accuracy. Eventually they got it.  Fans questioned why female figs couldn't have double elbows and rotating biceps; they were told it would mess up the figure, it couldn't be done, blah blah. But today double jointed elbows are well on their way to becoming standard. 

This paragraph summarizes the hypocrisy to the tee. With the same female figure they will argue from both sides. Let's just take FA Storm for instance. We can't do double jointed elbows cuz it ruins the aesthetics and ideal look of the figure. Then on the other side, we tone down the chest area because it's just idealism and not all women look like that. But Storm, especially during her FA, Dave Cochrum era, does. The dream of being a superhero is idealism in itself.

It's a fact that the majority of women aren't ideally fit either, but would assume that if they were out and about doing strenuous superhero activities in superhero spandex they would do their best to be fit. My wife is a fitness trainer (yeah, that's the PC word for it these days) and nutritionist, and it's a fact that the majority of women that come to her want to be fit to look good naked or feel confident in certain clothes. A smaller percentage, such as nurses or correction officers, get fit for their jobs, but once they reach a certain level of gains, many of them adjust goals into achieving that lean healthy look too. It's just human nature and it's also empowering because it requires a certain level of determination control.

That being said, yes there are certain "assets" attributed to certain female comic characters, but it's not as all encompassing the detractors want it to seem. Nobody expects characters like Jubilee or Kitty Pryde or Mockingbird or Majik or Wasp to have large chests (though they are admittedly drawn that way by certain artists sometimes), but characters like Captain Marvel and FA do have that particular design. We're just asking to stay true to the character is all we ask. Why change it now? Why not make new characters with a different "less ideal" design and make them popular enough to get their own action figure. Oh, that's right, creativity is gone and it's easier to change existing characters to a different ideal and accuse anyone who objects to it a perv and do a mic drop and walk away from a sensible discussion.

Apologies if my comment earlier came across offensive. I didn’t intend to call anyone here a “perv”. For me, I have never understood what the point of over-sexualizing comic characters was. It has always felt gratuitous and unnecessary.

My broader point is, diehard comic fans are only one segment of the action figure collecting world. If toning down the overt sexuality of certain characters gets the action figures on the shelves, for me that’s an acceptable trade off. I understand that is not the case for many others on this board. But if the choice is do it accurate or not at all, well for me that’s a bit too purist for my blood.

On 7/30/2021 at 2:21 PM, GreenwithNV said:

Apologies if my comment earlier came across offensive. I didn’t intend to call anyone here a “perv”. For me, I have never understood what the point of over-sexualizing comic characters was. It has always felt gratuitous and unnecessary.

My broader point is, diehard comic fans are only one segment of the action figure collecting world. If toning down the overt sexuality of certain characters gets the action figures on the shelves, for me that’s an acceptable trade off. I understand that is not the case for many others on this board. But if the choice is do it accurate or not at all, well for me that’s a bit too purist for my blood.

I also don't get the obsession with chest size. However, I do wish we had a greater diversity of body shapes for the female characters and that we could get some new female bodies in rotation with better articulation. Tigra, Ironheart and Captain Carter having pinless double elbows is a nice start and I'm hoping that becomes more standard.

On 7/30/2021 at 2:21 PM, GreenwithNV said:

Respect. No offense on either side. I love women of all shapes and sizes. Accuracy is my only wish. All love.

All that money for a delux hydra stomper without giving us a steve rogers figure? Come on now, at least the Captain Carter and the Tygra figures are nice. I plan on getting both and the Tchalla star lord figure. No steve rogers to operate the hydra stomper though, but a crook like Obediah Stane gets a figure? Bummer.

On 7/31/2021 at 7:45 AM, silverback said:

All that money for a delux hydra stomper without giving us a steve rogers figure? Come on now, at least the Captain Carter and the Tygra figures are nice. I plan on getting both and the Tchalla star lord figure. No steve rogers to operate the hydra stomper though, but a crook like Obediah Stane gets a figure? Bummer.

That would proably have increased the price. Still we have plenty off MCU Caps but non of pre-serum Steve.

On 7/30/2021 at 10:45 PM, silverback said:

I wonder if they could've included a Steve Rogers head, showing the stomper without the cockpit helmet on? 

On 7/31/2021 at 10:00 AM, Atlantis said:

I wonder if they could've included a Steve Rogers head, showing the stomper without the cockpit helmet on? 

I'm guessing given it's size in the show that it would have a similar set up to the IronMonger and the whole chest would have to be able to open, to be accurate 

I don't remember if we talked about it in this thread, but during the stream Dwight did mention there would be two more classic character likely to be revealed before the end of the year but not available until next year (which makes sense as Tigra won't even be available until next year). From the context I'm assuming these aren't part of any wave but will be stand alone single-release classics like Hercules and Tigra. Assuming they're not Spider-Man or X-Men specific, I wonder if they'll be on retro Marvel Universe card backs or packaged like Firestar was. 

Anyway, probably way too early to speculate on who that might include but I'm sure we've all got our favorites in mind. 

Binary and Tigra . . . . . wooohooo! Finally! Another one ticked off my 30-year-old 'they'll never make a figure of her' list. But they did! Everything else though 🤮

I guess because I started reading comics in the 1980s, Captain Marvel (Carol Danvers) was never a thing. Her story was: she was an Avenger, she lost her powers and had her ass handed to her by Rogue, then she became a cosmic force to help the X-Men deal with the brood. 

I hated the Captain Marvel movie and the pointless cameo spot in Endgame and in the comics, she's the blankest of blank slates: what defines her as a character? What are her values as a person or a soooperhero? In Civil War (comic & MCU) you've got Iron Man and Cap as protagonists: the story tells itself (beautifully), and all the smart kids side with Captain America (😁). The tiresome Civil War II (comics) builds on Iron Man vs Captain Marvel and flounders from the get go. Ironically, Moonstone (Dark Avengers) made a far more interesting and nuanced CM than Carol Danvers did, as did Genis-Vell.

The MCU has done nothing to change my mind on this, and Carol is not (in terms of origin, powers, utility, character potential for plot building) in the same league as Black Widow, Scarlet Witch, Nebula, Valkyrie or Shuri (MCU), and comics-wise, I can't think of many characters who are as monotonous as Danvers is. Hopefully, when the X-Men finally hit the MCU, Rogue will just kill her outright. Do we really need a, or the, Captain Marvel?

I've heard (just heard, so don't know how true this is) Marvel are planning to recast her. I don't know if it's worth the effort.

But, getting back on track,  this Binary is beautiful and, is a superb endpoint for Captain Marvel's story arc in my reality.

On 7/30/2021 at 12:16 PM, Atlantis said:

People want to keep bringing this down to "fixating on chest size" as a distractor from the main criticism, because they know they have no valid counter. 

So they turn to name calling  i.e. "weird" or "odd". Which is just short hand for "pervs". 

But that is not the issue. The issue is about accuracy and the inherent double standard shown for male figs vs female figs. Its bad enough that the production team is doing this, but its worse when some of the collector community goes along with it. The line is making figures from the comics. The comics depict their characters a certain way, the figures should reflect that. Accuracy.

If you're saying the comic artists have a fetish, or that most women don't look "that way", I'll point out most men don't look like the Sub-Mariner or Captain America (and I don't know how anyone can wear a mask so tight that when he furrows his brow, the lines show up that way on the mask too, but comics have done that for decades), but no one's criticizing the way these figures are depicted.  I'll also point out that fans and collectors bought those very comics featuring women who looked "that way" for decades, so for anyone who's balking about it, now that those characters are in action figure form, I have to call out their hypocrisy. 

20 years ago many people were happy to get Wolverine in action figure form, but pointed out he should be shorter than the standard 6"; they wanted accuracy. Eventually they got it.  Fans questioned why female figs couldn't have double elbows and rotating biceps; they were told it would mess up the figure, it couldn't be done, blah blah. But today double jointed elbows are well on their way to becoming standard. 

Years ago, DC Universe Classics produced a Star Sapphire action figure. Sold in retail stores all over. She's wearing one of the most ridiculous, outlandishly designed costumes ever seen. I don't know if that thing was held up by pasties or what, but its absurd. Yet as stupid as it is, it is as the comic had it. As far as her costume goes, it is accurate.

And here's something: Those 4+ year olds you mention?  Didn't have a problem with it at all.

News flash...4yr olds ain't buying ML figures, DGAF how some of you try to spin it, mommy ain't forking over $22+ for little preschool Timmy. Heck, hardly any kids under 16 are buying ML fig...hate all ya want but this is an adult collector driven line, you're only fooling yourself by stating otherwise. Vast majority of today's kids are into the PS5 & playing video games, not collecting 6' scale action figures. And stop pulling the " No real men/women look like what they depict them to look like in the comics" card. WTF would you want superheroes to look like "normal" humans in a comic about imaginary Mutants/Metahumans/Aliens & Gods!???? If you're that insecure about your own physiques, hit the gym, stop eating junk food while you play 10+hrs a day on your PS5. I want Cap to look like Arnold in his prime, I want Warbird to look like a female that hits the gym & is into competing in those CrossFit competitions or fitness competitions, not look fat/frumpy/flatchested.  I want my comic book characters to look, larger than life & I want their action figure to represent exactly how they have been depicted in the comics for 20-30-40yrs+!  Hasbro has the funds to make various female bucks, stop with the BS excuse that they don't have the $$ for it.  I don't mope or cry that I don't look like Steve Rogers who's 6'2 230lbs of solid muscle & therefore petition Hasbro to stop making him look that way cuz he hurts my widdle feelings & makes me feel insecure as a man. If you let a make believe character's action figure make you feel that way, you got issues...serious ones. 

On 7/31/2021 at 3:49 PM, Gigantor said:

News flash...4yr olds ain't buying ML figures, DGAF how some of you try to spin it, mommy ain't forking over $22+ for little preschool Timmy. Heck, hardly any kids under 16 are buying ML fig...hate all ya want but this is an adult collector driven line, you're only fooling yourself by stating otherwise. Vast majority of today's kids are into the PS5 & playing video games, not collecting 6' scale action figures. And stop pulling the " No real men/women look like what they depict them to look like in the comics" card. WTF would you want superheroes to look like "normal" humans in a comic about imaginary Mutants/Metahumans/Aliens & Gods!???? If you're that insecure about your own physiques, hit the gym, stop eating junk food while you play 10+hrs a day on your PS5. I want Cap to look like Arnold in his prime, I want Warbird to look like a female that hits the gym & is into competing in those CrossFit competitions or fitness competitions, not look fat/frumpy/flatchested.  I want my comic book characters to look, larger than life & I want their action figure to represent exactly how they have been depicted in the comics for 20-30-40yrs+!  Hasbro has the funds to make various female bucks, stop with the BS excuse that they don't have the $$ for it.  I don't mope or cry that I don't look like Steve Rogers who's 6'2 230lbs of solid muscle & therefore petition Hasbro to stop making him look that way cuz he hurts my widdle feelings & makes me feel insecure as a man. If you let a make believe character's action figure make you feel that way, you got issues...serious ones. 

Because I think this is an important issue, I’ll bite. Putting action figures aside for a moment, this issue isn’t about feeling secure in my own appearance, and I have no idea why you took if that way. Rather, whether anyone here admits it or not, there are serious issues with the way men view and treat women in this country (i.e., as objects), which is why the Me Too movement is even a thing. And if you don’t think the way women are drawn in comics contributes to the objectifying of women, you have your head up your ass.

On 7/31/2021 at 10:19 PM, GreenwithNV said:

Because I think this is an important issue, I’ll bite. Putting action figures aside for a moment, this issue isn’t about feeling secure in my own appearance, and I have no idea why you took if that way. Rather, whether anyone here admits it or not, there are serious issues with the way men view and treat women in this country (i.e., as objects), which is why the Me Too movement is even a thing. And if you don’t think the way women are drawn in comics contributes to the objectifying of women, you have your head up your ass.

This is a toy forum not a social commentary. Please stop. Enjoy a toy or don’t and move on. 

On 7/31/2021 at 10:19 PM, GreenwithNV said:

not only do I think America is the best country on Earth for a woman to be, I haven’t heard of any fleeing it because of the way they are drawn in our country’s science-fiction fantasy. Or any other reason for that matter.

On 8/1/2021 at 6:15 AM, tarot said:

People like lordvenger said, this is a comic, movie and toy forum. Please keep social and gender commentary outside of those our of these forum. 

Debating about female accuracy is all well and good but keep it civil please.

Fair enough. To be clear though, that’s exactly what I was doing, explaining why I personally am fine with female figures not looking exactly as they do in the comics. I don’t begrudge anyone for feeling differently. But since I explained my reason for not having an issue with the discrepancy, my view has been treated with nothing but contempt. I’ll refrain from commenting anymore on this issue in the future.

On 7/31/2021 at 4:00 AM, Atlantis said:

For the money they could've given us a little scrawny Steve to go with the Stomper. Half the plastic of a regular 6 inch figure. That's what I wanted.

On 7/31/2021 at 10:57 AM, leokearon said:

I'm guessing given it's size in the show that it would have a similar set up to the IronMonger and the whole chest would have to be able to open, to be accurate 

It would have been nice, but I just wanted a skinny Steve just to pose with the Stomper. He didn't necessarily have to fit inside. Of course if he did fit inside all the better. I bet they will come out with that one if the What If series does super great.

On 8/7/2021 at 11:37 PM, silverback said:

It would have been nice, but I just wanted a skinny Steve just to pose with the Stomper. He didn't necessarily have to fit inside. Of course if he did fit inside all the better. I bet they will come out with that one if the What If series does super great.

Well Pre-Origin Steve is about the only MCU Cap they haven't done a figure of, so I could still see it happening at some point

In celebration of the first episode of the Disney+ What If...? animated series that premiered today on the streaming service, Hasbro's Ryan Ting posted this new image showing off the Captain Carter and Watcher Build-A-Figure that are part of the upcoming second Marvel Legends Disney+ themed wave. You can pre-order this wave now at our sponsor BigBadToyStore.com.

What-If.jpg