Jump to content

Hasbro Announces Second July Marvel Legends Live-Stream Coverage - What If?


JayC
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 7/28/2021 at 10:49 AM, Jmacq1 said:

Captain Carter, Sylvie, Tigra, Binary and the Vulture redux were the only real winners for me.  I don't think the other stuff looks bad but I'm trying to cut back some.

I don't care for that Watcher design.  Will stick with the Marvel Select version.  Interesting that it seems to be broken up only over a few of the figs.

Hydra Stomper looks like fun but not so much fun that it's worth the likely price.

Captain Carter, great face! This is the figure I want most from What If?

Tigra looks great, but since we knew she was coming, they really could have expanded on her a bit. I do think they should've given her at least one more head, something along sides the Byrne wild, feral , untamed look he did with her hair. Does she have "cats' eyes"? A close up would've been nice. Is the tiger's head clasp gold or....looks white here. Is the tail articulated? I'm thinking it at least swivels, but since they're too lame to show us a rear shot we'll have to wait and see. 

Oh that Watcher is very weak. The saving grace is this is the animated version and the comic version, when it arrives,  should look at least as good as Marvel Select's figure. Maybe it'll be part of some future F4 wave. 

Not sure what the price is for HS but it looks like a must get; I'm not putting anything down more than what War Machine deluxe cost was, though. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/28/2021 at 8:57 PM, LordVenger said:

So you finally introduce a character that has been asked for by most everyone for years that has never been done in legends line and it looks like this. Come on hasbro. So disappointed. 

2789D648-2A5C-4DD8-9F4E-15F08C421C98.png

or they are basing it on the Cartoon like the rest of the wave is (Sylvie not withstanding). They aren't going to make a Comic Uatu for a wave that is full of non comic figures.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm trying to stay positive, or at least not overly critical. I realize they have a lot of different products catering to a lot of different audiences and types of collectors, and I'm not all of them.

But after May, which was entirely geared toward the Infinity Saga line, which has zero appeal for me since I don't collect MCU figures, after that, the guys promised July would be a big month for those collectors who focus on the comics. Well, at the end of the month of July I will have preordered just two figures, Hercules and Tigra. I'm not counting the HasLab Galactus because that was known well in advance of this month and chances are it won't even ship until Christmas 2022.

So the MCU stans got 19 Infinity Saga figures revealed in May, and I get two classic Avengers in July after being made to believe they would be comparable... 

Again, I know I'm not the only collector they're considering and I shouldn't take these things personally, but f***, man... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/28/2021 at 3:19 PM, tarot said:

or they are basing it on the Cartoon like the rest of the wave is (Sylvie not withstanding). They aren't going to make a Comic Uatu for a wave that is full of non comic figures.

I get that. I’m disappointed that this is the first legend watcher we get. We don’t have a fall back that we can stick with in legends. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/28/2021 at 4:28 PM, RyanDaly said:

I'm trying to stay positive, or at least not overly critical. I realize they have a lot of different products catering to a lot of different audiences and types of collectors, and I'm not all of them.

But after May, which was entirely geared toward the Infinity Saga line, which has zero appeal for me since I don't collect MCU figures, after that, the guys promised July would be a big month for those collectors who focus on the comics. Well, at the end of the month of July I will have preordered just two figures, Hercules and Tigra. I'm not counting the HasLab Galactus because that was known well in advance of this month and chances are it won't even ship until Christmas 2022.

So the MCU stans got 19 Infinity Saga figures revealed in May, and I get two classic Avengers in July after being made to believe they would be comparable... 

Again, I know I'm not the only collector they're considering and I shouldn't take these things personally, but f***, man... 

I hear you man, it was a bit deceiving when they said that July as going to be a more comic oriented month for reveals, this year as a whole has been very strange in terms of the waves we are getting and programs, very tied into movies and TV, see as much as I think that the What If wave is fun, it's odd that say a What If wave would even get made and say Thor the Dark World wouldn't get a wave, What If seems like it could have been left alone in terms of a whole wave, but hey, not really sure why Hasbro does what they do , but it also seems a bit like this year is featuring a ton of Pegwarming for this line, probably the most of any year so far, and with Eternals still on the horizon, and spider-man movie wave, looks like we still have a ton more movie stuff, so yeah looks like the comic/classic fans are getting bit of a relief sigh for their wallets, but also a bummer year in terms of product, I guess really the only other Comic things that we know of are Retro FF wave, and maybe a few fan channel. 

Next year maybe? , or are we going forward seeing a new trend of Hasbro almost solely catering to people who want figures that are based off screen media, I hope not.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/28/2021 at 3:39 PM, Lord_Scareglow said:

Next year maybe? , or are we going forward seeing a new trend of Hasbro almost solely catering to people who want figures that are based off screen media, I hope not.

We're moving toward a routine where Marvel will produce four movies a year and four to six Disney+ series a year. If most or all of those get Marvel Legends waves, that doesn't leave a lot of room for the comic fans. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/28/2021 at 4:43 PM, RyanDaly said:

We're moving toward a routine where Marvel will produce four movies a year and four to six Disney+ series a year. If most or all of those get Marvel Legends waves, that doesn't leave a lot of room for the comic fans. 

Yeah that's my worry as well, but maybe they will notice that these screen media based waves have a ton of pegwarmers and back track, and at least get back to giving us Movie based waves with comic characters, because that even seems like a thing of the past, less and less movie waves have comic figures, it's all a bit worrisome , with marvel producing so much screen product needing tie in merch.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/28/2021 at 1:28 PM, RyanDaly said:

I'm trying to stay positive, or at least not overly critical. I realize they have a lot of different products catering to a lot of different audiences and types of collectors, and I'm not all of them.

But after May, which was entirely geared toward the Infinity Saga line, which has zero appeal for me since I don't collect MCU figures, after that, the guys promised July would be a big month for those collectors who focus on the comics. Well, at the end of the month of July I will have preordered just two figures, Hercules and Tigra. I'm not counting the HasLab Galactus because that was known well in advance of this month and chances are it won't even ship until Christmas 2022.

So the MCU stans got 19 Infinity Saga figures revealed in May, and I get two classic Avengers in July after being made to believe they would be comparable... 

Again, I know I'm not the only collector they're considering and I shouldn't take these things personally, but f***, man... 

There's actually been a good mix of everything this year. Comic fans get HoX wave, AOA wave 2, Villains wave, Iron Man wave, F4 retro wave and several fan channel/exclusive figures. Movie fans get Infinity Saga, Disney+ wave 1 and 2, Eternals and a few exclusives. Then the Stiltman wave, Shang-Chi wave and NWH wave have had a mixture of both. They just happen to reveal large clumps of a specific genre of figure at once, which can make it seem like we're only getting one kind of figure, when in reality, if we were to look back at the end of the year, the mixture is actually not terribly weighted in favor of one line versus another. My guess is the fall will be more comic, while the summer was movie and the spring was a mixture of both. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/28/2021 at 3:35 PM, LordVenger said:

I get that. I’m disappointed that this is the first legend watcher we get. We don’t have a fall back that we can stick with in legends. 

Yeah but it's not like they're gonna not make the Watcher just because they didn't do him before. This is about to be likely the widest exposure the character has ever had so I don't see why they wouldn't cash in on that.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/28/2021 at 3:48 PM, Lord_Scareglow said:

Yeah that's my worry as well, but maybe they will notice that these screen media based waves have a ton of pegwarmers and back track, and at least get back to giving us Movie based waves with comic characters, because that even seems like a thing of the past, less and less movie waves have comic figures, it's all a bit worrisome , with marvel producing so much screen product needing tie in merch.

 

People are gonna be angry either way. When they do all MCU waves like Eternals or the Disney+ stuff people complain that they're taking up too many slots that could have gone to comic figures, and when they do mixed waves, that inevitably winds up pissing people off too because the comic-only fans don't like having to buy movie figures for the BAF, and vice versa. 

I'm gonna be honest, I doubt we see Hasbro slow down on the MCU stuff next year. They already are missing several prominent characters from the Disney+ shows fans are asking for, and that's in addition to whatever other movies and shows drop next year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I get what you guys are saying. I'm primarily a comic figure collector but I also buy the MCU versions when there hasn't been a comic version made (countless examples like Nebula, Collector, Grandmaster, Yondu, Skurge the Executioner, Mantis, etc) mainly because I realize they may never get around to making comic versions. Surtur is a perfect example of this... I was quite surprised we got him at all and I'm certainly not expecting that they'll ever do a second version of him.

I do think some are selling short all of the comic figures that have actually been revealed relatively recently: Tigra, Hercules, the Wolverine box set, the Spider-Man retro stuff, Maestro, green She-Hulk, Nova, Quasar, X-Men AOA Wave 2, the Iron Man Ursa Major wave... those are all still to come this year and we recently got the House of X Wave, the Xemnu villains wave, MODOK, deluxe comic Thanos, AOA Apocalypse, Firestar...   we know that the F4 retro wave is coming even if we haven't seen it yet, it's likely something Excalibur related is coming, we've seen new comic version of Cannonball and Domino that we know are coming...  All I'm saying is that is still a whole lot of comic based figures in a relatively short period of time. Are there endless amounts of figures that could still be made? Absolutely there are, but I think Hasbro has done a good job of cranking out figures... 

I think we've become a little spoiled! Honestly I've been collecting this line for 2 full decades now starting when my kids were toddlers and now they're full grown. I feel like the figures are being produced so much more frequently than ever before. It's gotten to the point that no one can really be expected to buy everything -- like was very common in the Toy Biz and early Hasbro days. Honestly if I knew way back in the beginning that this line would go on for 20+ years and I'd end up spending the thousands of dollars I probably never would have started!!! LOL! All I'm saying is try to be thankful - yes, ask for you want - but also please realize it wasn't always this good and it probably won't go on forever....  just like we're in the golden age of comic related movies and tv, that's also true for comic related figures and other collectibles.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/28/2021 at 8:40 AM, JayC said:

They put so much stuff out and not everything is going to appeal to everyone. We've certainly gotten comic Strange's before and with another movie I am sure we will again.

He (CAC) was referring to classic Dr. Strange, which we've not had since Toybiz's 2005 figure. Wow. 16 years. 

I thought for sure we'd get him since they put out Dormammu. But since they jacked up Dormammu, they could pull a dirty trick and release him with the corrected eyes and mouth in a two pack with Dr. Strange. They can modify a Shatterstar torso, but otherwise outside of paint job they already have him made. 

And please, no, I'm not saying I want him released that way, its just an idea. I would like to have an articulated Eye of Agamotto with the cloak, though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wonder why they chose to do that janky ayass looking Watcher as the BAF rather than that kickass Hydra Stomper. As it is now I'm betting a buncha people are willing to pass on one or several of the figures in the WTF? wave based on the fact that they couldn't care less about that sub par BAF. Personally, I want all the figures, but for many cherry pickers, of whom I know several, are gonna walk away from some of these figures cuz the BAF is so weak. Of course they'd never be able to sell that Watcher in any other format, whether if be exclusive or Deluxe, cuz it's just very awful for the Watcher's first outing. I wonder how long it will be before we get a real comic Watcher, or if this is our one shot. If this is the only shot, well I guess I'll just be happy to pass.

I predict Spidey and Strange are gonna be the peg warmers in this wave.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/28/2021 at 4:50 PM, monron999 said:

I wonder why they chose to do that janky ayass looking Watcher as the BAF rather than that kickass Hydra Stomper.

Money. They'll be able to sell the Hydra Stomper on its own for $40 to $50.

On 7/28/2021 at 4:50 PM, monron999 said:

I predict Spidey and Strange are gonna be the peg warmers in this wave.

I don't see Spider-Man peg-warming. Take the cape off and he's still kind of a funky but good-looking Spider-Man figure that someone could display. Besides, I can't see anything warming a peg harder than that Nebula. Yeesh.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/28/2021 at 1:09 PM, Reno said:

"...I think we've become a little spoiled! Honestly I've been collecting this line for 2 full decades now starting when my kids were toddlers and now they're full grown. I feel like the figures are being produced so much more frequently than ever before. It's gotten to the point that no one can really be expected to buy everything -- like was very common in the Toy Biz and early Hasbro days. Honestly if I knew way back in the beginning that this line would go on for 20+ years and I'd end up spending the thousands of dollars I probably never would have started!!! LOL! "

Yes, I was just commenting about how the first last and only 6" Legends figure of Dr. Strange we received was over 16 years ago. The line has certainly grown and improved since then. 

At the same time, I can't speak for anyone else but I'm not spoiled. I've had to pay for each Legend I have and they've only increased prices since the beginning!

LOL just messin' with ya...I know what you mean. At the same time these guys aren't going broke by any means, and fact is, I'm willing to buy even MORE figures if they just get to it. I don't necessarily feel the What If? line is a drag or diversion, but they should've closed out Excalibur and retro F4. We got next to nothing on that front today. 

Overall I think there was a little disappointment today. Imagine how it would've gone if they shown us:

the Inhumans, along with a Lockjaw BAF? Retro F4 in their N Zone outfits, including a flamed on Human Torch? How about a character that wasn't even on the horizon, just a nice surprise tossed in, like WCA Mockingbird? I mean they've already done the sleeves from Lady Deathstrike so its not that hard. 

So yeah, fair job,  could've been better. Still waiting on that deluxe Rock Python set though. That's gonna be Awesome Sauce.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/28/2021 at 5:01 PM, watanabefan said:

People are gonna be angry either way. When they do all MCU waves like Eternals or the Disney+ stuff people complain that they're taking up too many slots that could have gone to comic figures, and when they do mixed waves, that inevitably winds up pissing people off too because the comic-only fans don't like having to buy movie figures for the BAF, and vice versa. 

I'm gonna be honest, I doubt we see Hasbro slow down on the MCU stuff next year. They already are missing several prominent characters from the Disney+ shows fans are asking for, and that's in addition to whatever other movies and shows drop next year.

Yeah I think it's a VERY safe bet that two or more "Disney+" waves are going to be a regular part of the yearly rotation going forward.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/29/2021 at 12:45 AM, RyanDaly said:

We still have HAWKEYE and MS. MARVEL coming out this year, and I'm sure there will be other popular WHAT IF...? characters that didn't make this wave that Hasbro will want to cover. That could be another D+ wave right there they could release in December or January if they had the time. 

oh yeah definately. I predict at least Hawkeye, Kate Bishop, Echo, Ms. Marvel and maybe some previous or future character.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I saw someone mention that the Watcher was the BAF for the next D+ wave and my first thought was I needed to cancel my Select pre- order. Then I saw the BAF. Think I’ll too stick to the Select version. Bummer, if just one character needed to be in his classic comic suit it is the Watcher. Mr. Hyde level disappointment here.

Add this inarticulate “figure” to the list in Hasbro’s “robes era “ that includes most of the the Shang Chi wave and ALL of those abysmal Eternals figures.

This isn’t the suit the Watchers wore in the Stan Lee cameo from GOTG v2 is it?

No Michael Keaton head sculpt is  missed opportunity for a deluxe set.

These animated designs.. wasn’t sure about them with the Into The Spider Verse and not sure about them here. Few if any fit easily into my existing collection and there isn’t enough of them to stand on their own.  These animated designs are becoming a completely different sub line that I’m not sure I’m willing to invest in. Guess we will see.

That Hydra Stomper is also a bit of a stretch to ask us to spend $30-$40 ( guessing here ) on an unknown character. They tried that with that terrible Outback Hulk Gamerverse figure and that thing pegwarmed HARD.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...







Sign Up For The TNI Newsletter And Have The News Delivered To You!


Entertainment News International (ENI) is the #1 popular culture network for adult fans all around the world.
Get the scoop on all the popular comics, games, movies, toys, and more every day!

Contact and Support

Advertising | Submit News | Contact ENI | Privacy Policy

©Entertainment News International - All images, trademarks, logos, video, brands and images used on this website are registered trademarks of their respective companies and owners. All Rights Reserved. Data has been shared for news reporting purposes only. All content sourced by fans, online websites, and or other fan community sources. Entertainment News International is not responsible for reporting errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and or other liablities related to news shared here. We do our best to keep tabs on infringements. If some of your content was shared by accident. Contact us about any infringements right away - CLICK HERE