How many Marvel Legends waves could Hasbro produce a year?

RyanDaly

This is spinning out of a discussion some of us were having yesterday with how crowded Hasbro's release schedule is going to be if every movie and every two or three Disney+ series get a Legends wave.

Realistically, factoring in production, shipping, and distribution, how many waves do you think Hasbro could make per year?

How many waves did they produce last year? How many waves have they made in each of the last five years? What is the average? 

How many waves could they sustain before fans are fatigued by collecting (or it becomes financially unviable)? 

2022 has four Marvel movies on the schedule (Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness in March, Thor: Love and Thunder in May, Black Panther: Wakanda Forever in July, and The Marvels in November). We're also supposed to get some amount of six or seven different planned Disney+ series next year. That could be six or seven waves just to support the MCU projects. What about a Spider-Man wave (or two)? What about a X-Men wave (or two)? Is there even room for another comic centric Iron Man wave? Another villains wave? Are they planning another anniversary wave? Could we get a wave of seven to eight new figures every month?

How much can they make and how much can we take before one or all of us burns out?

8-9 waves in my opinion is too many if they are on top of each other...which at times they seem to be. 

I just finished the "Villans" and "Shang Chi" waves and now I'm hunting for Ursa Major ( The build-a-bear wave🤣)

That Plus the Haslab Galactus plus the SDCC exclusive. ( I'm assuming we are getting one this year) plus other exclusives and retro cards...whew that's A lot!! My credit card is on fire!

I'm thankful for the HOX wave as I was able to cherry pick a few characters and I'll be skipping the AOA II & What If waves.  

Don't get me wrong...I LOVE LOVE LOVE new characters in the Legends wave...I just don't have enough money to sustain that much product. 

One thing I've noticed...if you don't nab characters in a timely fashion..the after market prices can be brutal!!

hm, i did always wondered that and yet most often i try to be selective with the ones i want to get as usual, but yeah i do like the idea of 8 or 9 waves every year since it could mean different possibilities of which ones i like to get the most, plus as long as they continue with their recent trend of "this wave is specific for something" i'm fine with it.

what i mean is like what they did with the Disney+ wave, the bring in the villains wave, kinda the same with the Ursa Major wave, i actually like that idea rather than making a bad mix of movie, game and comic characters altogether in a wave that makes it feel like they don't match with each other that well, if i make sense there.

Yeah I would rather have specific comic waves, or specific MCU waves; just so I don't end up a bunch of figures I don't want or need just for BAF parts.

As someone who doesn't collect outside of the comic-based figs; it makes certain waves much easier for me to skip (like the What if? wave for instance)

Truthfully though, I am a bit fatigued with the sheer amount of product that's been put out in the last few months. Either things that haven't hit yet, or waves I just don't care about and then the stuff that I do want skyrockets if I don't buy it instantly.

On 7/31/2021 at 12:55 AM, watanabefan said:

Most of the films only ever have one wave. The Avengers films are the exception because of how many characters are involved. 

We're getting 2 Disney+ waves, we had 3 Gamerverse waves, 2 Spideys, 2 Retro waves, 2 Venom waves, the equivalent of 2 Widow waves. then those multiple 2/3 packs for movies. I know I said every movie, but with 3-4 movies a year, none of them need more than one, and some of them canbe combined...especialy with all of the other waves they do.

I figure 2 movie waves, 2 themed waves, 1 retro wave, and a Riders/Deluxe wave, and maybe a 2/3 pack. Depending on where you live, you may not see a particular wave until 2-3 months after its street date, and then you see it with the arrival of 2 other waves. 

I’m not a MCU collector and I cherry pick waves, because I collect a lot more modern stuff but am a completionist  when it comes to the Avengers and will get some classic looks if they’re Avengers, but some I’ll pass on some. I did buy the whole HoX wave, because I want to have a big Krakoan era display so I hope for more Reign of X characters. I’m hoping for more separation of comic and MCU stuff, like do a few comic Eternals wave, a Shang-Chi wave, etc… 

On 7/31/2021 at 5:43 PM, nieman257 said:

We're getting 2 Disney+ waves, we had 3 Gamerverse waves, 2 Spideys, 2 Retro waves, 2 Venom waves, the equivalent of 2 Widow waves. then those multiple 2/3 packs for movies. I know I said every movie, but with 3-4 movies a year, none of them need more than one, and some of them canbe combined...especialy with all of the other waves they do.

I figure 2 movie waves, 2 themed waves, 1 retro wave, and a Riders/Deluxe wave, and maybe a 2/3 pack. Depending on where you live, you may not see a particular wave until 2-3 months after its street date, and then you see it with the arrival of 2 other waves. 

In the cases you mentioned several of those were years apart (Venom) or still only one proper wave (Black Widow). There were also only 2 Gamerverse waves; the only Spider-Man game figures so far either either store exclusives or mixed into comic Spider-Man waves. So again, the only movies that actually get more than one dedicated wave are generally the Avengers ones, with a few outliers like Black Panther. 

So, nah, I don't see that sort of consolidation being realistic. Especially not when the decision to combine the Disney+ shows like that means they're already behind on some big characters that they've mentioned now having to find ways to include in future stuff like Agatha Harkness or the antagonist of Loki.

2016: 7 waves (Dormammu, Juggernaut, Abomination, Space Knight Venom, Giant Man, Absorbing Man, Red Onslaught)

2017: 7 waves (Gladiator Hulk, Man-Thing, Mantis, Vulture, Warlock, Titus, Sandman)

2018: 11 waves (Sauron, Monster Venom, Sp//dr, Apocalypse, Cull Obsidian, Sasquatch, Thanos, Lizard, Okoye, 2 retro waves)

2019: 10 waves (Thor, Wendigo, Molten-Man, Hulk, Caliban, Thanos, Kingpin, Kree Sentry, M’Baku, X-Men retro wave)

2020: 9 waves (Joe Fixit, Venompool, Strong Guy, Sugar Man, Abomination, Crimson Dynamo, Demogoblin, Super Skrull, Spider-Man retro wave)

2021: 11 waves (Gilgamesh, Watcher, Colossus, Ursa Major, Xemnu, Captain America, Mr. Hyde, Tri-Sentinel, Stilt Man, Fantastic Four retro wave, Spider-Man wave with unknown BAF)

The better question may be how many actual figures, though, rather than just waves. Not sure of the exact count for 2021, but 2020 had 128, 2019 had 160, 2018 had 155, 2017 had 94, etc. There was a clear and intentional ramping up of production in 2018 that was only slightly interrupted in 2020, by the Shang-Chi and Eternals waves getting pushed to 2021.

On 8/5/2021 at 6:52 AM, Atlantis said:

As important as the number of waves they produce, is the quality of what gets provided. Figures on the wrong bucks, incorrect details, sloppy paint jobs, lack of accessories, etc. all just ruin the waves.

Yeah, I would prefer quality over quantity