What Could Have Been - Fantastic Four Toy Biz Giganto Build-A-Figure

JayC

Flashback to the year 2006, which was about a year before MarvelousNews was started. During the 2006 Toy Fair, Toy Biz showed off a new line of 5" Fantastic Four Animated Series figures for a new series coming to Cartoon Network. The series was called 'Fantastic Four: World’s Greatest Heroes. While the figures weren't Marvel Legends, Toy Biz was capitalizing on it's successful Build-A-Figure concept and had planned to release a Giganto Build-A-Figure for the line. The prototype for this figure which was on display at Toy Fair was done by sculptor Paul Harding.

According to him, the rocks on the back of the figure were created when he took actual crushed stones from his parents driveway that they molded and cast with the clay for the prototype.

The animated series these figures were to be based on didn't do so well. They originally made 26 episodes of which only 8 episodes aired before Cartoon Network pulled it from it's line-up. Later they showed another 9 episodes right before the release of the Rise of the Silver Surfer movie. The remaining episodes were never shown until the series was later released on DVD. Suffice to say, with the failure of the show the figures never saw the light of day and we never got this pretty cool looking Build-A-Figure.

Toy-Biz-Fantastic-Four-Animated-01.jpg

Toy-Biz-Fantastic-Four-Animated-02.jpg

Toy-Biz-Fantastic-Four-Animated-03.jpg

I want a Giganto so bad. I was really, really hoping that was going to be what the HasLab offering was. I have the Marvel Legends Masterworks version (with the little F4 characters intentionally removed) and a Heroclix version that are both right around 8" tall but this would have been so, so much better. I hope they find a way to make a version at some point in the Legends line, although he's probably too big to be a BAF with the current standards so it would almost have to be a deluxe figure that maybe came with a new version of Mole Man.

I was not a fan of the design and animation style of this Fantastic Four animated series, but the stories were pretty good and the writing could be charming and even hilarious at times. If they had gone with a more conventional design approach, it might've been more successful and fondly remembered like Spectacular Spider-Man. Alas, for that reason, these figures would have then and now hold no appeal for me. 

DANG!

I really wanted that Hulk and Thing! I loved the animated aesthetic of the whole series! I pretty sure my godkids gave me that series on DVD BITD. Now I wish they had gone through with it!

That BAF is AMAZEBALLZ!!

On 8/13/2021 at 1:55 PM, mako said:

God, I hated this series with a passion. I DO remember hearing about the Giganto back in the day, and I thought it looked cool then. Alas, we can file this one away with the Build-a-Quinjet and Bad Guy Pack-In wave.

Wasn't this crap on MTV? Ben with the 4" spray painted on his chest was all the proof I needed that this show was gonna crap the bed. None of those figures looked good, especially pin head Hulk.

On 8/13/2021 at 10:26 PM, Gigantor said:

Wasn't this crap on MTV? Ben with the 4" spray painted on his chest was all the proof I needed that this show was gonna crap the bed. None of those figures looked good, especially pin head Hulk.

I thought it was on Nicklodeon, but I could be getting my wires crossed with that CGI Iron Man series. In any case, I could only suffer through one or two partial episodes. This show brought obnoxious to an all new level.

On 8/13/2021 at 8:26 PM, Gigantor said:

lol omg I remember seeing that and thinking the same thing.  I'm usually not a fan of anime-styled figures and these were no exception.  I think the only ones I've actually liked were the GI Joe Sigma Series.  But that was more because of the arsenal and personal footlocker each one came with, I think; bad posability.   😞

I enjoyed this show, I wasnt big on it when it first came out but I followed it. I also didnt like most of those figures at the time but some actually look good. They had a weird looking artstyle almost akin to the old aeon flux cartoon from the 90s. That comic con year when giganto was shown was a pretty stellar year for cancelled legends. I screengrabbed alot back then for memories of what could have been.