Marvel Commemorates 750 Issues Of Avengers In Giant-Sized Epic With A New Team Of Villains

JayC

This November, Marvel Comics proudly presents the 750th issue of AVENGERS, and it promises to be one for the ages! Continuing Jason Aaron’s Marvel Universe-shaping run, AVENGERS #750 will be a 96-page milestone issue consisting of multiple game changing stories by an all-star lineup of artists including Carlos Pacheco, Aaron Kuder, Ed McGuinness, and Javier Garrón. The giant-sized epic will be packed with revelations and jaw dropping moments, including the introduction of THE MULTIVERSAL MASTERS OF EVIL, the deadly new group of villains fans met in this year’s FREE COMIC BOOK DAY: AVENGERS/HULK #1!

Throughout this supersize extravaganza, fans will also witness the shocking conclusion of “World War She-Hulk”, finally learn the true purpose of the prehistoric Avengers, uncover the shocking secret of the Iron Inquisitor, watch the Avengers recruit some surprising new members, and follow the Ghost Rider on a quest for vengeance across the Multiverse that will spark an all-new era in Avengers history!

“It's such an honor to be a part of issue #750 of AVENGERS, and I'm looking to celebrate the rich history of the title and its iconic characters by using this issue as the gargantuan-sized kick-off for a story that'll be as wildly sweeping and swing-for-the-fences epic as it can possibly be,” Aaron said. “It's not just that everything I've been doing in the last 50 issues of AVENGERS has been leading to this, but there are threads feeding into the next year's worth of stories that stretch back to most every major series I've ever written in my 15 years at Marvel Comics.

In addition, best-selling author Christopher Ruocchio, known for his award winning The Sun-Eater series, makes his Marvel Comics debut alongside superstar artist Steve McNiven in a bonus story starring Thor.

"I'm honored to play a small part in this moment of Avengers history and thrilled to get to work with Steve McNiven to bring you all a little classic Thor,” Ruocchio said. “It's a bit surreal to get to work with a character I grew up with, and I hope I've told a tale worthy of the God of Thunder."

Be there when the startling future of Earth’s Mightiest Heroes kicks off in AVENGERS #750 this November!

AVENGERS #50
Written by JASON AARON & CHRISTOPHER RUOCCHIO
Art by AARON KUDER, CARLOS PACHECO, ED MCGUINNESS, JAVIER GARRÓN & STEVE MCNIVEN
Cover by ED MCGUINNESS
Variant Cover by STEVE MCNIVEN
On Sale 11/17!

AVEN2018050_cov.jpg

AVEN2018050_McNiven-var.jpg

AVENGERS050_Teaser.jpg

There was a time when upon hearing that the Avengers were recruiting surprising new members would bring anticipation. But.... ever since Hickman made so many forgettable characters members these words hold more dread than excitement.

On 8/17/2021 at 7:19 PM, McHogan said:

There was a time when upon hearing that the Avengers were recruiting surprising new members would bring anticipation. But.... ever since Hickman made so many forgettable characters members these words hold more dread than excitement.

For me, the inclusion of Spider-Man and Wolverine in New Avengers broke the rules of what the Avengers should be. Then once Lex Luthor and Captain Cold became members of the Justice League, I just stopped caring about team rosters (and DC Comics in general). 

On 8/17/2021 at 6:19 PM, McHogan said:

For me was Bendis the one who started all that ... but yeah ... Blade and Ghost Rider??? WTF

On 8/17/2021 at 10:07 PM, Legender said:

For me was Bendis the one who started all that ... but yeah ... Blade and Ghost Rider??? WTF

Anyone and their mother can be an Avenger nowadays. Surprised Aunt May hasn't Been offered membership yet. The mystique and privilege of being an Avenger lost it's luster once Bendis was allowed to throw in Wolverine, Spider-Man, etc.

On 8/18/2021 at 6:31 AM, Gigantor said:

Anyone and their mother can be an Avenger nowadays. Surprised Aunt May hasn't Been offered membership yet. The mystique and privilege of being an Avenger lost it's luster once Bendis was allowed to throw in Wolverine, Spider-Man, etc.

Aunt May did stay with the Avengers and helped Jarvis around the Tower, so she technically could be considered an honourary Avenger or at least Avenger staff. 

What really annoys me, is writers trying to create their own earlier Avenger teams, like the Avengers 1959 and 1 million BC.

On 8/17/2021 at 6:31 PM, RyanDaly said:

For me, the inclusion of Spider-Man and Wolverine in New Avengers broke the rules of what the Avengers should be. Then once Lex Luthor and Captain Cold became members of the Justice League, I just stopped caring about team rosters (and DC Comics in general). 

Well, that decision was based largely on the fact that in DC all the main characters such as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Aquaman and Green Lantern, who all carried books of their own, were on the Justice League. Bendis acted like it just came to him out of the blue, but it was all orchestrated to boost sales when the Avengers titles were waning. Though I do like the original Avengers line-up, I really can't argue with his logic. What can be argued is whether it made for good stories or not. For me it's pretty much hit or miss, basically the same as most Marvel titles. I don't think it really made the Avengers better or worse either way, because they're constantly in a state of flux and no roster has ever been stable for more than any writer's run, save for earlier writers who built off the continuity the writer before them set up rather than turn it over on it's head.

On 8/18/2021 at 9:30 AM, monron999 said:

What can be argued is whether it made for good stories or not. For me it's pretty much hit or miss, basically the same as most Marvel titles. I don't think it really made the Avengers better or worse either way, because they're constantly in a state of flux and no roster has ever been stable for more than any writer's run, save for earlier writers who built off the continuity the writer before them set up rather than turn it over on it's head.

I think the stories were mostly pretty good, and I think Bendis (for all of his faults and tics as a writer) shepherded the Avengers line through a very prosperous and prominent time. And mostly he got good mileage out of putting Spidey and Wolvie on the team, which I agree was entirely based on commercial popularity and trying to raise the exposure of the brand. But I also think that decision disregarded some fundamental and longstanding truths of the characters. So yeah, I get the why from a sales and business standpoint, and they creators made the best of the situation, but I don't agree with the narrative reasons for it. But oh well. 

On 8/17/2021 at 3:31 PM, RyanDaly said:

I would include Daredevil, Luke Cage, Sabertooth, Rage, "Justice", Silverclaw, Fantastic Four, Blade....let me stop 'cause there's too many to list...

...And thats part of the problem. Not everyone should be an Avenger. I'm not talking about whether they "deserve" to be or not. Certain heroes just have something diminished about themselves when they're put on certain teams. It doesn't serve the team well either. The real issue (no pun intended), of course, is these writers who don't understand nor care about characterization or good storytelling.

On 8/17/2021 at 11:07 PM, Legender said:

I agree about Bendis but in the end I kinda liked Cage, Strange, Spidey among others. The likes Ex Nihilo and the crew that were recruited during that era was the writing on the wall for me as far as collecting. 

My biggest problem with Bendis was his total disregard for what came before and his complete mischaracterization of long time Avengers. I HATED HATED his DisAssembled arc as it had long established characters acting nothing like themselves, characters were killed off strictly for shock and in the end the story had little substance. Bendis’s run was dreadful story wise, and I celebrated his leaving the books for sure.

bu yeah, not everyone should be an Avenger. Not Wolverine, not Sunspot, not Blade and not the third string Ghost Rider. The blending of the Avengers and XMen roster and the inclusion of every character has made being an Avenger important.

my fear that the “surprising” characters that this writer brings in will be “enter hot character” or something truly terrible like Dr Doom

or worse yet, any member of the Eternals. We know their movie is coming out but please keep these D listers in their own book

On 8/18/2021 at 1:31 AM, Gigantor said:

We disagree a little on the addition of certain characters but we are in the same page that Bendis was not the right writer for the Avengers.

On 8/18/2021 at 4:50 PM, McHogan said:

or worse yet, any member of the Eternals. We know their movie is coming out but please keep these D listers in their own book

Well, there is precedent for an Eternal on the roster. Sersi was an Avenger for years, and it sounds like she is the main character of the movie, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if she returned to the ranks of the team. 

On 8/18/2021 at 5:40 PM, RyanDaly said:

Well, there is precedent for an Eternal on the roster. Sersi was an Avenger for years, and it sounds like she is the main character of the movie, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if she returned to the ranks of the team. 

Yes this is true. And I’m actually a fan of both Sersi in comics and Gemma Chan is stunning so high hopes there. I also know Starfox and Gilgamesh have both served with distinction.  I would actually like to see Sersi return. In my mind the Eternals I don’t want to see are .. well everyone else haha.

Off topic but I hate the direction they’ve taken Starfox these past years.

i guarantee, much like “Baby It’s Cold Outside”, the writers had no intentions of linking sexual assault with their creations. Only today’s over sensitive era we are in could possibly see the connection of something created decades ago and Condemn it to appease the easily offended.

Anyway, my original thought was that Marvel May throw some movie Eternal on the Avengers for more exposure. Sersi makes sense but I could easily see them shoe horning Ikaris in because of the film.

On 8/18/2021 at 1:34 PM, Atlantis said:

I would include Daredevil, Luke Cage, Sabertooth, Rage, "Justice", Silverclaw, Fantastic Four, Blade....let me stop 'cause there's too many to list...

...And thats part of the problem. Not everyone should be an Avenger. I'm not talking about whether they "deserve" to be or not. Certain heroes just have something diminished about themselves when they're put on certain teams. It doesn't serve the team well either. The real issue (no pun intended), of course, is these writers who don't understand nor care about characterization or good storytelling.

You hit the nail on the head! Not only should everyone not rate to be an Avenger but some have no business being on a team...period! Spiderman &  DD have always worked best as so!o players with the obligatory team ups thrown in. Iron fist & Power man always worked best as Heroes for hire. Wtf they threw in the FF and some X-Men, especially Wolverine, is beyond me! The Hulk works best solo as well imo. But like you stated, today's writers don't give a rats ass about not only characterization/ storytelling, but also Avengers history/ tradition.

On 8/19/2021 at 1:51 AM, Gigantor said:

today's writers don't give a rats ass about not only characterization/ storytelling, but also Avengers history/ tradition.

They do. Stories like Ultron Forever, Avengers No Surrender and Avengers No Road Home are very good and earnest examples of the celebration of the Avengers' history and mythos.

The problem the Avengers face today is one specific writer whose name is Jason Aaron.

On 8/19/2021 at 6:07 AM, ADour said:

They do. Stories like Ultron Forever, Avengers No Surrender and Avengers No Road Home are very good and earnest examples of the celebration of the Avengers' history and mythos.

The problem the Avengers face today is one specific writer whose name is Jason Aaron.

Too true, Avengers No Surrender and Avengers No Road Home were fantastic stories and it is shame we haven't gotten a third outing.

On 8/19/2021 at 4:04 AM, leokearon said:

Too true, Avengers No Surrender and Avengers No Road Home were fantastic stories and it is shame we haven't gotten a third outing.

I really wish they'd do the third "No" book to bridge the end of Aaron's run with whatever comes next, the same way they did the first one to bridge what came before Aaron with the beginning of Aaron's run. While I know No Surrender and No Road Home purposefully avoided using Iron Man, Cap and Thor to give the spotlight to smaller characters, I would like to see them tackle the Big Three.

Mark Waid is currently at DC, but I don't think he's exclusive, so I think it's doable. And if they couldn't get him I wouldn't be too upset since Al Ewing and Jim Zub are my favorite writers of the trio.

On 8/19/2021 at 10:31 PM, ADour said:

I really wish they'd do the third "No" book to bridge the end of Aaron's run with whatever comes next, the same way they did the first one to bridge what came before Aaron with the beginning of Aaron's run. While I know No Surrender and No Road Home purposefully avoided using Iron Man, Cap and Thor to give the spotlight to smaller characters, I would like to see them tackle the Big Three.

Mark Waid is currently at DC, but I don't think he's exclusive, so I think it's doable. And if they couldn't get him I wouldn't be too upset since Al Ewing and Jim Zub are my favorite writers of the trio.

On 8/20/2021 at 12:04 AM, RyanDaly said:

I thought No Surrender was pretty good. If nothing else it made me care about Living Lightning for the first time in... ever.

That's one of the reasons I loved both stories, they didn't focus on the big names

Idk I'm in the minority who liked Bendis and Hickman's additions to the roster, also wish Hickman got more time in his Avengers, because I feel there was a lot skipped and missed. Avengers No Surrender and No Road Home were great it needs another sequel maybe add Ram V if Waid isn't available or bring back Busiek on the title or Hickman