Jump to content

Anthony Mackie Closes Deal To Star In 'Captain America 4' Film


Outsiders
 Share

Recommended Posts

Deadline is reporting that Anthony Mackie has closed a deal to be Captain America in his first superhero picture.

Details are being kept under wraps and it's unknown if the project will involve Sebastian Stan, who starred with Mackie in the well-received Marvel Studios Disney+ limited series The Falcon and the Winter Soldier.

The Project is being scripted by The Falcon and the Winter Soldier head writer and creator Malcolm Spellman, along with series staff writer Dalan Musson.  No director has been selected as of yet.

Captain America 4 is the current unofficial title and will be a career booster for the Juilliard-educated actor who has been appeared in the Best Picture winner The Hurt Locker, 8 Mile, and The Banker, to his turns as Falcon, the wingman of Captain America, who was handpicked by that superhero to succeed him. The series involved his conflict in taking on the superhero persona. Mackie played Falcon in six Marvel films beginning with Captain America: The Winter Soldier.

Anthony_Mackie.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/19/2021 at 3:19 AM, mako said:

It won't be Captain America, but if they can grow up and get rid of the anti-state and racist rhetoric of the D+ series it might actually be a decent movie.

While I do think Disney + Sam’s monologue from finale was cringe, Cap was always anti state whenever state went wrong, and both in comics and real life state goes wrong often. Be it Cap investigating shady government projects like Nuke from Daredevil born again,  or when Cap took Nomad persona after watergate scandal which was showcased by inner government conspiracy in comics pages, or state constantly wanting to “own” and use Cap as their own puppet, or infamous what if #44. And even more  relatively recent Civil War that made him fight his own friends due to government registration that wanted to “regulate” and control all superheroes. So anti state rhetoric that comes from love of one country and freedom is literally the most interesting thing about Cap. 

 

spacer.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/18/2021 at 7:20 PM, SpiderS said:

While I do think Disney + Sam’s monologue from finale was cringe, Cap was always anti state whenever state went wrong, and both in comics and real life state goes wrong often.

Cinge is one way of putting it. Some might call it preachy and heavy handed. Good message to be sure but it came out so agro and confrontational. There's a way to do that kinda stuff right and that wasn't it. The entire show had a message that was loud and clear and that last bullet to the head diatribe was just over the top.

That being said, let's say this. Hey Feige, how bout an effin' Falcon movie instead? It's obvious Cap is being painted as a hate symbol as it is. Why have one of the coolest black heroes give up his unique awesome identity to try and continue on with his legacy? Oh that's right, they needed to clean up the Captain America....err, I mean Captain Rogers image cuz he was so terribly flawed. So do we call him Captain Wilson as well? It's so ridiculous and tiresome at this point. Falcon was/is cool. He's a badass. He had his own thing going. Everyone loved him. Now he's just living in the shadow of Cap and trying to travel a path that isn't his own. How oppressive.

It was shyte in the comics and nothing they do in the MCU is gonna be much of an improvement. This thing is dead on the vine just like everything else in the MCU right now. And no, its not cuz of the scaredemic, it's cuz it's hot garbage. Just turn it off, let the Disney+ shows carry you for a while and just lay low till you get all the details for the X-Men and FF ironed out and start with a new slate.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I like Anthony Mackie as Cap but I did have a few issues with the show. I agree SamCaps shaming of the Government on live TV was a bit cringy  and forced. But my main issue was how John Walker was nothing more than a plot device to get Sam in the suit. I mean, this was essentially the same role Walker had in the comics but his story was allowed to build over two years. Six episodes just wasn’t enough to make us care that Walker would rise, fall and redeem himself. It was rushed and both Walkers loss of the shield and Sam picking it up didn’t feel as important.

i agree that Cap needs to be a SUPER Soldier. As of now, our MCU Cap has lost fights to both Ant-Man and a very green Spider-Man. Not exactly the guy you want leading the big fight against Thanos.

i disagree however that anyone can sport the colors and be Cap. Really everyone except Steve Rogers has fallen short of the high water mark Rogers himself has sent. There is a reason after all why Marvel always comes back to Rogers. 

It is very in character for Steve to call out the US Government when he disagreed with their policies. Many classic stories have risen from the conflict of Steve’s belief n the American ideal and what it’s Government does.

I will be curious how the MCU proceeds. I strongly feel Evans will reprise his role at some point but I have never been a fan of Multiples of the same character running around. It’s just cluttered and confusing. Nothing at all against Sam’s Cap but Steve’ s arc was a thing of beauty and besides Iron Man’s, he had one of the most epic runs in all of cinema.  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Keep a few things in mind...

It was only announced that Mackie will be playing Captain America but the script isn't even written yet.  We don't know how he'll become Captain America?  Maybe he'll get juiced or maybe the suit will be like Iron Man's suit and does everything and whoever wears it just has to wear it.  Or maybe he'll stub his toe and become enraged...

With the announcement coming today... We don't even know when the movie will be released.  My guess would be late 2023 or early 2024.  Who knows how much can change between now and then...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/18/2021 at 8:43 PM, monron999 said:

Cinge is one way of putting it. Some might call it preachy and heavy handed. Good message to be sure but it came out so agro and confrontational. There's a way to do that kinda stuff right and that wasn't it. The entire show had a message that was loud and clear and that last bullet to the head diatribe was just over the top.

That being said, let's say this. Hey Feige, how bout an effin' Falcon movie instead? It's obvious Cap is being painted as a hate symbol as it is. Why have one of the coolest black heroes give up his unique awesome identity to try and continue on with his legacy? Oh that's right, they needed to clean up the Captain America....err, I mean Captain Rogers image cuz he was so terribly flawed. So do we call him Captain Wilson as well? It's so ridiculous and tiresome at this point. Falcon was/is cool. He's a badass. He had his own thing going. Everyone loved him. Now he's just living in the shadow of Cap and trying to travel a path that isn't his own. How oppressive.

It was shyte in the comics and nothing they do in the MCU is gonna be much of an improvement. This thing is dead on the vine just like everything else in the MCU right now. And no, its not cuz of the scaredemic, it's cuz it's hot garbage. Just turn it off, let the Disney+ shows carry you for a while and just lay low till you get all the details for the X-Men and FF ironed out and start with a new slate.

I agree with a lot you are saying here but what do you mean that Cap is being painted as a hate symbol? Or that Rogers is flawed?

Not being argumentative, just from my view of the MCU, Steve Rogers was the ultimate hero and I’m curious what you are seeing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/18/2021 at 6:12 PM, Outsiders said:

Keep a few things in mind...

It was only announced that Mackie will be playing Captain America but the script isn't even written yet.  We don't know how he'll become Captain America?  Maybe he'll get juiced or maybe the suit will be like Iron Man's suit and does everything and whoever wears it just has to wear it.  Or maybe he'll stub his toe and become enraged...

With the announcement coming today... We don't even know when the movie will be released.  My guess would be late 2023 or early 2024.  Who knows how much can change between now and then...

He's already Cap though, with the shield, Wakandan suit, vibranium wings, the full 9 yards. After the show, I don't see him getting the serum, they've already kind of burned that bridge, but his flight makes up for the lack of super strength, I think. Did FalconCap have the serum in the comics? I'm not remembering off the top of my head.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/18/2021 at 8:44 PM, Ironspider428 said:

He's already Cap though, with the shield, Wakandan suit, vibranium wings, the full 9 yards. After the show, I don't see him getting the serum, they've already kind of burned that bridge, but his flight makes up for the lack of super strength, I think. Did FalconCap have the serum in the comics? I'm not remembering off the top of my head.

From my understanding, the TV show has nothing to do with the movie.  We don't even know if Sebastian Stan will be in the movie?  Sure, Mackie can have the suit, shield, all that jazz but when it comes to the movie version.  I bet they strip him down to some regular dude and rework it so he becomes old Cap...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/18/2021 at 9:55 PM, Outsiders said:

From my understanding, the TV show has nothing to do with the movie.  We don't even know if Sebastian Stan will be in the movie?  Sure, Mackie can have the suit, shield, all that jazz but when it comes to the movie version.  I bet they strip him down to some regular dude and rework it so he becomes old Cap...

Where have you heard this? Falcon and Winter Soldier is canon to the MCU proper. I really can’t imagine they would walk back the events of the TV show. If anything, they’d expand the movie on the groundwork the tv show laid out. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/18/2021 at 6:55 PM, Outsiders said:

From my understanding, the TV show has nothing to do with the movie.  We don't even know if Sebastian Stan will be in the movie?  Sure, Mackie can have the suit, shield, all that jazz but when it comes to the movie version.  I bet they strip him down to some regular dude and rework it so he becomes old Cap...

The D+ shows are just as canon as the movies. I think it's pretty likely Sebastian will be in it, even if it isn't confirmed yet, the two have a pretty tight knit storyline now. My guess is the movie will pick up a while after the show leaves off, after Sam has had some time to get comfortable in the role of Cap. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/18/2021 at 8:12 PM, McHogan said:

I agree with a lot you are saying here but what do you mean that Cap is being painted as a hate symbol? Or that Rogers is flawed?

Not being argumentative, just from my view of the MCU, Steve Rogers was the ultimate hero and I’m curious what you are seeing.

It was more tongue in cheek about Rogers being flawed. I was parroting the narrative of mass media and entertainment in general.

It's more based on recent narratives, especially in the comics, of Steve trying to distance himself from the concept of Captain America. Yes, there are some bad things about America, but the good out ways the bad by a large margin, but the media keeps highlighting the bad so much it seems everyone intent on rehabbing concept that isn't all that bad.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Personally, I'd love to see Falcon get his own movie, Winter Soldier get a movie (or at least his own D+ show), and bring Steve back as Cap.

Let's face it, Fiege and company can play all the woke games in the world, but no amount of pandering is gonna make Marvel let them screw around with their bread-n-butter characters for long. Eventually Sam's gonna be Falcon, Steve's gonna be Cap, and everything will be right with the world. They got bills to pay with these guys.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Steve's never going to be Cap again beyond a flashback cameo or a complete reboot of the MCU.  This isn't the comics where everything has to be basically the same forever, and audiences understand that it's a continuing story. After Endgame folks understand that Steve and Tony's stories are pretty much finished.  The MCU may taper off in popularity over time (nothing lasts forever) but conveniently about the time the OG MCU Avengers are aging out of their roles (or getting tired of them) you have the FF and X-Men waiting in the wings to carry the MCU torch forward.   I think the focus is going to shift away from the Avengers and GotG and towards those former two teams over the next couple of "Phases."

 

And yeah, eventually the whole thing will probably get rebooted.  Or maybe not, who knows?  No one has ever done anything like this before (at least on this scale).  We might shockingly end up with a cinematic universe that's far more willing to allow permanent change due to the practicalities of filmmaking than the comics that are effectively stuck in certain status quos forever.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...







Sign Up For The TNI Newsletter And Have The News Delivered To You!


Entertainment News International (ENI) is the #1 popular culture network for adult fans all around the world.
Get the scoop on all the popular comics, games, movies, toys, and more every day!

Contact and Support

Advertising | Submit News | Contact ENI | Privacy Policy

©Entertainment News International - All images, trademarks, logos, video, brands and images used on this website are registered trademarks of their respective companies and owners. All Rights Reserved. Data has been shared for news reporting purposes only. All content sourced by fans, online websites, and or other fan community sources. Entertainment News International is not responsible for reporting errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and or other liablities related to news shared here. We do our best to keep tabs on infringements. If some of your content was shared by accident. Contact us about any infringements right away - CLICK HERE