Marvel Legends The Eternals Movie Wave Officially Revealed

JayC

On 8/20/2021 at 6:20 PM, NotNamed said:

Oh yay, another wave of "throw fecal matter at the wall and see if it sticks" figures. Just like Shang-Chi, another franchise no one has heard of, and another wave of boring figures destined for clearance. It's fine with me, I get to save my money, but again, what are Marvel/Hasbro thinking? Do they have their heads so far up their rears they think everything they push out turns to gold?

I mean, given that it pretty much has, as far as intellectual property as a whole goes, yeah, they probably have good reason for thinking that.  Guardians of the Galaxy and Ant-Man were absolute nobodies to the general public before they hit the big screen.  Same with a vast array of supporting characters like the Winter Soldier, Falcon, Vison and Scarlet Witch, who are now headlining successful streaming series of their own.

But since you seem to have ideas, what big, well-known Marvel characters/teams do you think they should be "pushing" that they've actually had the proper amount of time to develop and produce a movie for (So X-Men and FF are out, and we know they're on the way eventually regardless).

Or are you suggesting Hasbro should just ignore the movie designs and make the figures look however they want if they don't think they're "toyetic" enough?

Also, I think it worth noting that the Eternals product line seems to address a continual criticism of the MCU stuff:  That they don't get all the characters out there promptly.  This wave hits, and they'll never have to worry about people complaining "But what about <insert Eternal here>?!?"  Though MAYBE they'll get a tiny bit of that with Dane Whitman, because you know some folks will wonder why they didn't make a figure even when it's doubtful (to me) he shows up in costume in this movie.

On 8/20/2021 at 5:33 PM, Ironspider428 said:

It always struck me as insane just how early those figures hit, a full 5 months before the movie came out. As much as I want to add the Eternals wave to the shelf, I understand why Hasbro has held onto them for so long. From what I can see, it was inevitable for Target to clearance the SC wave, having them on the shelves for so long without the movie being out pretty much guarantees they don't sell. 

I think Hasbro basically made the decision to put them out, because it was either that or the Eternals wave because they've likely run out of warehouse space to store all this product they've been holding back due to delays (Not just Eternals, but Spider-Man, and the GI Joe Snake-Eyes stuff too), and didn't want to pay through the nose for even more storage for the Shang-Chi stuff.  From all indications Marvel really wants to push Eternals as a big deal, perhaps more so than Shang-Chi.    So Hasbro took it on the chin with the Shang-Chi stuff so as to not have Eternals stuff on shelves nearly a year before the movie.

On 8/20/2021 at 11:19 PM, McHogan said:

So 6 figures to build Gilgamesh but 8 figures in the wave? Then 2 stand alone store exclusives?

This kind of output you’d think this was a proven franchise or the most popular MCU film yet.

Im not a fan of the comic or the designs we’ve seen from the movie. I’ve stated I’ll buy the figures as an MCU completist but not thrilled for a wave of Actors in bathrobes. At the very least, the comic versions looked like Super Heroes. The designs for this movie look like a Disney got a coupon from JoAnne Fabrics.

Look, the MCU has surprised me before. I honestly thought Guardians of the Galaxy was a dumb choice and now it’s one of my favorites. I hope Eternals and Shang Chi surprise me as well. But even if they do, these costumes are still boring.

It's seven in the wave with Ikaris coming with no piece. Also @JayC missed Druig, but you can see it in the BAF image.

Ajak and Thena will more then store exclusive but Kro is just a standard Deluxe, similar (but cheaper) to the Hydra Stomper.

On 8/20/2021 at 6:36 PM, Jmacq1 said:

Or are you suggesting Hasbro should just ignore the movie designs and make the figures look however they want if they don't think they're "toyetic" enough?

Movie accurate Legends are definitely the best but surely you must admit these designs are more Game of Thrones than Marvel Comics. Yes I realize GoT has toys too but those are also boring overall.

one of the main differences between when Disney took a chance on GOTG and now with Eternals, and one I think most people who dislike the movie costumes, is that the GOTG crew still looked like a Super Heroes. On Eternals, they took away nearly any aspect of their comic origins and traditional hero aspects, things like capes, super helmets, etc, and gave us actors in robes. 

Yes, these are toys of Super Heroes but they are not in fact “toyetic”

On 8/20/2021 at 6:53 PM, McHogan said:

Movie accurate Legends are definitely the best but surely you must admit these designs are more Game of Thrones than Marvel Comics. Yes I realize GoT has toys too but those are also boring overall.

one of the main differences between when Disney took a chance on GOTG and now with Eternals, and one I think most people who dislike the movie costumes, is that the GOTG crew still looked like a Super Heroes. On Eternals, they took away nearly any aspect of their comic origins and traditional hero aspects, things like capes, super helmets, etc, and gave us actors in robes. 

Yes, these are toys of Super Heroes but they are not in fact “toyetic”

Have you...looked at the Eternals costumes in the comics?  While I agree the movie designs aren't particularly comic accurate, what the Eternals wear in the comics isn't all that "traditional super-heroic" either.  Hell, Thena even looks pretty damn accurate to her classic design, and Sersi ain't that far off.

The MCU tries to ground things a tiny bit more in...if not reality, than in plausibility.  The Eternals don't look like super heroes because they're not wearing costumes.  They're wearing attire/uniforms of a hyperadvanced immortal alien race. From that perspective no, they don't look all that implausible to me, and the idea that they may not be traditional super-heroes as we know them may be quite intentional from the designers' perspective.

On 8/20/2021 at 6:48 PM, tarot said:

It's seven in the wave with Ikaris coming with no piece. Also @JayC missed Druig, but you can see it in the BAF image.

Ajak and Thena will more then store exclusive but Kro is just a standard Deluxe, similar (but cheaper) to the Hydra Stomper.

Gotcha. 

Man, as far as store exclusives go Legends is weak sauce lately. between Mobius, Marvels Katy, Ajax and Thena.. oh and while im glad to get Hapoy, that Gold Iron Man could have been better.

On 8/20/2021 at 6:58 PM, Jmacq1 said:

Have you...looked at the Eternals costumes in the comics?  While I agree the movie designs aren't particularly comic accurate, what the Eternals wear in the comics isn't all that "traditional super-heroic" either.  Hell, Thena even looks pretty damn accurate to her classic design, and Sersi ain't that far off.

The MCU tries to ground things a tiny bit more in...if not reality, than in plausibility.  The Eternals don't look like super heroes because they're not wearing costumes.  They're wearing attire/uniforms of a hyperadvanced immortal alien race. From that perspective no, they don't look all that implausible to me, and the idea that they may not be traditional super-heroes as we know them may be quite intentional from the designers' perspective.

Tried not to look at the Eternals costumes actually. I agree they aren’t very super in comics either. I know what they look like, but compared to Joe Everyman, yeah they do look like super suits, advanced civilization or not. There was no long stretch of Eternals comics where Ikaris and his fam walked around in jogging suits or blue jeans. The artists made them look like super heroes whether they were meant to  be or not.

i do agree, the MCU has amazing comic to screen translations. Batroc who’s comic appearance is very well.. comic.. looks like a suit a real world super villain would wear. But these Eternal costumes, IMO, are some of the worst.

take all this with a grain of salt. I’m talking about a comic franchise I’ve never liked made into a movie I’m on the fence on. Only opinions.

On 8/20/2021 at 5:36 PM, Jmacq1 said:Also, I think it worth noting that the Eternals product line seems to address a continual criticism of the MCU stuff:  That they don't get all the characters out there promptly.  This wave hits, and they'll never have to worry about people complaining "But what about <insert Eternal here>?!?"  Though MAYBE they'll get a tiny bit of that with Dane Whitman, because you know some folks will wonder why they didn't make a figure even when it's doubtful (to me) he shows up in costume in this movie.

Yes! I get a lot of people here aren’t MCU enthusiasts, but for those that are, it’s relief to not end up with only a fraction of the characters in the film. If you got the WandaVision figures, you probably thought “well what am I supposed to do with Wanda without Agatha?” Or if you snagged the Dr. Strange film figures, thought, “where’s the Ancient One, Wong or Kaecilius?”

On 8/20/2021 at 7:09 PM, McHogan said:

take all this with a grain of salt. I’m talking about a comic franchise I’ve never liked made into a movie I’m on the fence on. Only opinions.

Oh I couldn't agree more on the comic franchise portion.  I've never been an Eternals fan beyond finding Sersi mildly entertaining at times when she was hanging out with the Avengers and not insane.

But the MCU has done amazing things as far as making me really enjoy characters and concepts that I could not care less about in the comics (here's looking at you, Vision), and so far I've liked what the trailers have been showing me for Eternals.  I'm cautiously optimistic on this one.  Also while I know he's unlikely to suit up in this film I'm a big Black Knight fan, so there's that, too.

Totally stoked for Shang-Chi though.  Mostly because he's a semi-obscure character that I HAVE been a fan of for a good while.

On 8/20/2021 at 7:46 PM, michiganjfrog said:

no black knight, no interest from me 😧

Yeah so true.. maybe they are laying the ground work for Dane the way Iron Man did for Rhodes. 

I mean, I get Danes inclusion with his history with Sersi but seems a wasted opportunity to not get BK in this movie. If he is only in civies then they could have made his character any unknown guy 

On 8/20/2021 at 7:52 PM, Jmacq1 said:

Oh I couldn't agree more on the comic franchise portion.  I've never been an Eternals fan beyond finding Sersi mildly entertaining at times when she was hanging out with the Avengers and not insane.

But the MCU has done amazing things as far as making me really enjoy characters and concepts that I could not care less about in the comics (here's looking at you, Vision), and so far I've liked what the trailers have been showing me for Eternals.  I'm cautiously optimistic on this one.  Also while I know he's unlikely to suit up in this film I'm a big Black Knight fan, so there's that, too.

Totally stoked for Shang-Chi though.  Mostly because he's a semi-obscure character that I HAVE been a fan of for a good while.

Cautiously optimistic is where I am too despite my comments above. Not being thrilled with the characters or design doesn’t mean I’m not more than willing to give the MCU a chance based on how amazing they have been so far.

Im a huge Black Knight fan too.. couldn’t believe it when I heard Kit Harrington was going to be Dane. I mean, my all time favorite Avenger  makes it into the MCU!! Maybe at least we get a BK Easter Egg

Shang Chi I’m still on the fence with too. Slowly swaying towards it. Believe me, I want to be surprised by both but it’s been tough to get behind them so far

On 8/20/2021 at 8:03 PM, McHogan said:

Cautiously optimistic is where I am too despite my comments above. Not being thrilled with the characters or design doesn’t mean I’m not more than willing to give the MCU a chance based on how amazing they have been so far.

Im a huge Black Knight fan too.. couldn’t believe it when I heard Kit Harrington was going to be Dane. I mean, my all time favorite Avenger  makes it into the MCU!! Maybe at least we get a BK Easter Egg

Shang Chi I’m still on the fence with too. Slowly swaying towards it. Believe me, I want to be surprised by both but it’s been tough to get behind them so far

Oh I think we're definitely getting Black Knight easter eggs.  I'm gonna be legit surprised if we don't get a post credits of Dane either inheriting his castle or actually claiming the blade.  I think it's also quite possible we see a past Black Knight at some point, too, since the story does seem like it'll give us some "historic" flashbacks.

They're showing too much of Kit in the trailers for him to just be an "Easter egg appearance we're never gonna do anything with"  and Marvel/Feige made too big a deal of casting him for them to not be planning more for the character.

On 8/20/2021 at 8:07 PM, Jmacq1 said:

Oh I think we're definitely getting Black Knight easter eggs.  I'm gonna be legit surprised if we don't get a post credits of Dane either inheriting his castle or actually claiming the blade.  I think it's also quite possible we see a past Black Knight at some point, too, since the story does seem like it'll give us some "historic" flashbacks.

They're showing too much of Kit in the trailers for him to just be an "Easter egg appearance we're never gonna do anything with"  and Marvel/Feige made too big a deal of casting him for them to not be planning more for the character.

Agreed. Dane will be like Rhodey in the first Iron Man, an important but civilian supporting character to Sersi, but he’ll have a “Next time, baby” moment like Rhodey had, or like Hope had at the end of Ant-Man. I’m also leaning toward an Ebony Blade teaser in the post-credit scene.

On 8/20/2021 at 8:03 PM, McHogan said:

One of my favorite bits of serendipity is the last line Richard Madden says to Kit Harrington’s character in Game of Thrones is, “Next time I see you, you’ll be all in black.” And now they’re sharing this movie together and Kit will eventually play the Black Knight.

On 8/20/2021 at 3:59 PM, McHogan said:

Gotcha. 

Man, as far as store exclusives go Legends is weak sauce lately. between Mobius, Marvels Katy, Ajax and Thena.. oh and while im glad to get Hapoy, that Gold Iron Man could have been better.

That’s kind of a matter of perspective. They seem to have taken a direction with exclusives that’s better for most people, making lesser known or less important characters exclusives, usually characters that become fan-favorites, so that you don’t run the risk of making an extremely important, main character an exclusive. I mean seriously, who the hell thought making our only Endgame Cap figure exclusive to Walmart? Katy was plentifully available to anyone who wanted one, the same will probably be true for Mobius, Thena, Ajak, etc. When you have to rely on a company to only order a specific amount of one figure, it’s better to not have the big guns only potentially available in small numbers. 

On 8/20/2021 at 5:19 PM, McHogan said:

So 6 figures to build Gilgamesh but 8 figures in the wave? Then 2 stand alone store exclusives?

This kind of output you’d think this was a proven franchise or the most popular MCU film yet.

Im not a fan of the comic or the designs we’ve seen from the movie. I’ve stated I’ll buy the figures as an MCU completist but not thrilled for a wave of Actors in bathrobes. At the very least, the comic versions looked like Super Heroes. The designs for this movie look like a Disney got a coupon from JoAnne Fabrics.

Look, the MCU has surprised me before. I honestly thought Guardians of the Galaxy was a dumb choice and now it’s one of my favorites. I hope Eternals and Shang Chi surprise me as well. But even if they do, these costumes are still boring.

Exactly on point. Marvel is throwing the bank at this thing. Contrary to what's being said about me i don't hate this movie just yet. It looks good. It looks damn good. But unlike GOTG where it was clear from the first trailer that Chris Pratt was gonna kill it, and then Bautista's break out performance making it even better, there's just nothing here grabbing attention, other than a buncha hopefuls trying to convince themselves it's gonna be awesome.

You like the figures, good on you. To me they're just people in robes and the bonus figure is just another dude in a robe. How well they sell will depend largely on how the movie does. I'll watch it and I'll watch it in the theater to take advantage of it's amazing visuals. I don't expect or foresee a World Beater by any means, but it'll serve as a bridge from current MCU to the future of the MCU. Nothing takes away from the fact that these figures are lame. They are marketed at a different crowd, the movie crowd. Had they been comic based they wouldn't be the subject of so much ire on this forum but admittedly they would only be appeasing the smaller market of comic enthusiasts. I understand their reasoning here, but that doesn't stop me from wishing they would a used half the resources it took to make this wave on other things.

On 8/20/2021 at 9:38 PM, Ironspider428 said:

That’s kind of a matter of perspective. They seem to have taken a direction with exclusives that’s better for most people, making lesser known or less important characters exclusives, usually characters that become fan-favorites, so that you don’t run the risk of making an extremely important, main character an exclusive. I mean seriously, who the hell thought making our only Endgame Cap figure exclusive to Walmart? Katy was plentifully available to anyone who wanted one, the same will probably be true for Mobius, Thena, Ajak, etc. When you have to rely on a company to only order a specific amount of one figure, it’s better to not have the big guns only potentially available in small numbers. 

Great points. I’m so used to exclusives being sought after it was weird to see Marvels Katy, basically a woman in a dress, followed by Mobius who’s just some guy in a suit. 

Its really a no win situation in some sense. Either the exclusive is so in demand it’s super pricey or it’s so readily available it gets clearanced. Neither is great for collectors.

seeing Marvels Katy on clearance for $5 makes me laugh that I got 1 per customered at my local Target. 

On 8/20/2021 at 8:22 PM, RyanDaly said:

One of my favorite bits of serendipity is the last line Richard Madden says to Kit Harrington’s character in Game of Thrones is, “Next time I see you, you’ll be all in black.” And now they’re sharing this movie together and Kit will eventually play the Black Knight.

Oh right great memory. They go from brothers in GoT to Rivals for Sersi in the MCU.. bet they sneak in a GoT Easter egg too

On 8/20/2021 at 10:44 AM, RyanDaly said:

I... I just don't understand the hate from you guys. This may sound hypocritical because I'm not an MCU collector so I won't buy any of them, but I think these are the best MCU-based figures Hasbro has ever done. The paint apps. The facial sculpts and likenesses. The colors, the details. Like... Are you guys sure you're not projecting some other bias towards the movie and the characters and the diversity of the cast onto these action figures, because they look really, really damn good? Even if I wasn't a Marvel Legends collector I would consider buying this entire line. The uniformity of the monochromatic outfits and vibrancy... They're like a modern update of the SilverHawks without the bird theme!

lol what "other bias" would that be?  What a strange and presumptuous comment.  There are "pretty" action figures everywhere.  Does that mean I have to buy them all otherwise, I harbor some suggested bias against the heroes they're based on?  

People aren't hyped for them because it's a relatively unknown IP.  Just like the Shang-Chi wave.  I'm glad you like them, though--I assume your pre-order at full price is already in?  Or is there some other bias preventing you from ordering?

On 8/20/2021 at 5:36 PM, Jmacq1 said:

I mean, given that it pretty much has, as far as intellectual property as a whole goes, yeah, they probably have good reason for thinking that.  Guardians of the Galaxy and Ant-Man were absolute nobodies to the general public before they hit the big screen.  Same with a vast array of supporting characters like the Winter Soldier, Falcon, Vison and Scarlet Witch, who are now headlining successful streaming series of their own.

But since you seem to have ideas, what big, well-known Marvel characters/teams do you think they should be "pushing" that they've actually had the proper amount of time to develop and produce a movie for (So X-Men and FF are out, and we know they're on the way eventually regardless).

My point was, as a lifelong Marvel fan with thousands of back issues in my collection, I had never heard of Shang Chi or Eternals. They're D-level properties. I had heard of, but never been interested in, Master of Kung Fu, but not "Shang Chi." As an alternative just to those two, how about Iron Fist & Luke Cage, Heroes for Hire, and the Inhumans? Those are at least B/C level properties. And yes, I know they had lackluster tv series, but MCU is now disregarding all of those pre-Disney Plus tv series, so no reason they couldn't be done on a bigger budget. And yes, I'd heard of Ant Man and the Guardians of the Galaxy before their movies. Ant Man is B level and the Guardians characters are at least C. As for MCU figures, I don't collect them.

On 8/20/2021 at 11:38 PM, NotNamed said:

My point was, as a lifelong Marvel fan with thousands of back issues in my collection, I had never heard of Shang Chi or Eternals. They're D-level properties. I had heard of, but never been interested in, Master of Kung Fu, but not "Shang Chi." As an alternative just to those two, how about Iron Fist & Luke Cage, Heroes for Hire, and the Inhumans? Those are at least B/C level properties. And yes, I know they had lackluster tv series, but MCU is now disregarding all of those pre-Disney Plus tv series, so no reason they couldn't be done on a bigger budget. And yes, I'd heard of Ant Man and the Guardians of the Galaxy before their movies. Ant Man is B level and the Guardians characters are at least C. As for MCU figures, I don't collect them.

You have some good  points. I worried that Marvels hubris was a bit unchecked and perhaps they had overstepped the bounds that fandom was going to accept as far as movie characters. I mean.. the Eternals as you say peaked in the 70s and could not maintain an audience despite multiple attempts in years since. GOTG was a risk for sure but the Eternals is just getting cocky.

I was as big a fan of Marvel comics as anyone in the 80s, literally collecting every book they published ( hey back then they were 65/75 cents a piece) and this included Cloak & Dagger, Power Pack, Dakota North ( hows that for a deep dive?).. and yes even started the Eternals 12 issue maxi series. But no other title bored me more than this series. Boring characters, boring story, boring design.. I never finished and haven’t been a fan since.

yes, I hope the cinematic versions change my perception but as I’ve been saying.. they’re more well known characters I’d rather be debuting in November. Literally the only hope I’m hanging on for is Dane Whitman ( Black Knight).. kinda ironic my favorite Avenger debuting in a property I’ve never been a fan of. 

On 8/20/2021 at 10:10 PM, Virtualzach said:

People aren't hyped for them because it's a relatively unknown IP.  Just like the Shang-Chi wave.  I'm glad you like them, though--I assume your pre-order at full price is already in?  Or is there some other bias preventing you from ordering?

He doesn't collect MCU figures as a rule, so he's morally free to imply heinous intent on the part of others.